Feb 9, 2014
✟908,375.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I used to keep a digital version and took notes from the books I read. It reinforces recollection and puts nuggets within reach. If I find a quote I like I look for it on Goodreads and save it.

Are you thinking of creating one yourself?
I used to keep them on index cards categorised by topic. I’d like to revisit that.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am reading Making Choices For Godly Living. Here are summaries of the first quarter to first third.

Book opens discussing we think if the Bible is applicable to us as an individual. It quotes a wide variety of verses & some songs, & the truths in them we question.
Next chapter summarizes the early parts of Joseph’s life, starting with how God was working in his life even before he was born, up to when his brothers sell him.
Then each chapter is a different choice we need to make I’ll call truths

Truth 1: God is in control & we are not. Chapter discusses some characteristics of God: he is the creator of all things, he is holy, he is sovereign, he is good, he is powerful, he is incomparable, he is praiseworthy. He is these, so our responsibility is to trust him & his design
Truth 2: We need to confess our sin. We are responsible for our own sin. Sinning never happens in isolation. We need to acknowledge our need for a Savior. We must seek forgiveness from God & people we wrong, & repent.
Truth 3: We need to remain faithful. Even in horror, when circumstances are not ideal, or circumstances are routine. B/c God is faithful. Don’t complain. Keep your focus on the eternal. Stay faithful during personal struggles. Rejoice. Think right.
Truth 4: We need to be pure. Sinning is never the best choice. Resist temptation. Over & over b/c Satan usually doesn’t tempt just once. Even when it’s overwhelming. All sin is against God. Temptation to sin doesn’t just go away – if you’re able to defeat one, another will come. Put on the Armor of God for defense. Sin’s consequences never benefit.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟511.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Dynasty by Tom Holland. The book itself is great in terms of information on the Julio-Claudian dynasty, however, weirdly enough there is occasional profanity and describing events somewhat vulgarly. Out of all the history I've read/listened to it's an absolute unicorn in this respect. I've never heard a history book using these kind of terms to describe events and it's actually pretty much soured me on the book as a whole. I actually really appreciate the writings on Augustus as he is my favourite emperor and there is a serious drought regarding popular information to do with him and his reign (weird considering he's mentioned in the gospels; Luke 2:1), but the vulgarity contained within the rest of the book makes me not even want to finish the thing.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dynasty by Tom Holland. The book itself is great in terms of information on the Julio-Claudian dynasty, however, weirdly enough there is occasional profanity and describing events somewhat vulgarly. Out of all the history I've read/listened to it's an absolute unicorn in this respect. I've never heard a history book using these kind of terms to describe events and it's actually pretty much soured me on the book as a whole. I actually really appreciate the writings on Augustus as he is my favourite emperor and there is a serious drought regarding popular information to do with him and his reign (weird considering he's mentioned in the gospels; Luke 2:1), but the vulgarity contained within the rest of the book makes me not even want to finish the thing.
Is this a historical fiction? Historical narrative?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm in the mood for something different and I suspect it's time to revisit some old lessons and view them with different eyes. I'm reading a series of books by Pema Chodron. I need something gentle that strikes a chord.

~bella

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,012,428.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I ordered this off Amazon. I'mma start reading it tomorrow.

1714024739872.png

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0