Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Right now my reading is basically limited to text books and other assigned reading materials. After the semester's over though I have a few things on my reading list. Mainly St. Augustine's Confessions and The Associate by John Grisham. Get my non-fiction and my fiction on.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
22505257.jpg

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm in between books actually. I just finished Rebecca by Daphne du Maurie. It was really good, I enjoyed it. I'm trying to decide whats next. I have about 150 books on my list. Also, they will all be paper books. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rebel Yell: the Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson by S.C. Gwynne

It's a paperback, I'm about halfway finished. I've learned a lot about him, and the Civil War. Jackson was a curious mix of devout Christian and passionate fighter. He came up with the Rebel yell, something I did not know.

Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟843,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Currently reading Jurassic Park. A lot more technical than I thought it would be. I've been waiting for more emotional character responses, but there's hardly any. It's like these guests don't care about what they're seeing for the first time.

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I just bought three books by Frank Peretti. He's a Christian Author. I hope their good because I've had to leave my love for Worldly books (like The Mortal Instruments) behind ... I can't deny my love for the Internal Devices... but now I see how much evil is in it
Reading was so close to my heart and I once thought I'd never read again but I'm excited to start reading again!

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just bought three books by Frank Peretti. He's a Christian Author. I hope their good because I've had to leave my love for Worldly books (like The Mortal Instruments) behind ... I can't deny my love for the Internal Devices... but now I see how much evil is in it
Reading was so close to my heart and I once thought I'd never read again but I'm excited to start reading again!
I'm not familar with The Mortal Instruments or Internal Devices. But reading secular books is not a sin. I have not read any Frank Peretti, but there are many secular books that have Christian morals in them.

I'm not suggesting you read things anti Christianity or things that are obscene, but there are good secular books.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not familar with The Mortal Instruments or Internal Devices. But reading secular books is not a sin. I have not read any Frank Peretti, but there are many secular books that have Christian morals in them.

I'm not suggesting you read things anti Christianity or things that are obscene, but there are good secular books.

Yes, well the Infernal Devices I would recommend to you if you do read secular books. Literally the most amazing books I've read. Really pulled at my heart strings. I think I've read the trilogy three times .. loved it soo much (too much?)

Anyway, I choose not to read it because I need to catch up with my relationship with God ... I also have The Giver, Gathering Blue and the other one in the Omnibus but I haven't read it yet because I would like to focus on more Christian based things. Just personal preference for now

So no, I wouldn't say they are a sin more like "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." 1 Ch. 10:23 - just focusing on the profitable

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, well the Infernal Devices I would recommend to you if you do read secular books. Literally the most amazing books I've read. Really pulled at my heart strings. I think I've read the trilogy three times .. loved it soo much (too much?)

Anyway, I choose not to read it because I need to catch up with my relationship with God ... I also have The Giver, Gathering Blue and the other one in the Omnibus but I haven't read it yet because I would like to focus on more Christian based things. Just personal preference for now

So no, I wouldn't say they are a sin more like "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." 1 Ch. 10:23 - just focusing on the profitable
I misunderstood your post, I thought you were giving up secular reading altogether. :)

There is a poem I read years ago about the sin of loving books more than the Bible. I wish I had a copy of it. It is a sin of mine. I read books more than the Bible, to my great shame.

God bless you. :)

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I misunderstood your post, I thought you were giving up secular reading altogether. :)

There is a poem I read years ago about the sin of loving books more than the Bible. I wish I had a copy of it. It is a sin of mine. I read books more than the Bible, to my great shame.

God bless you. :)

That is exactly it! Once I finish the Bible I will start reading on a regular basis again with due discretion
God bless you too!

• Friendly
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is exactly it! Once I finish the Bible I will start reading on a regular basis again with due discretion
God bless you too!
I think you can read books and the Bible. It's just a matter of time. I heard a preacher say you give your heart to the things you give your time, so since I spend more time reading my books rather than my Bible, I am placing them higher in my affection than the Bible.

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think you can read books and the Bible. It's just a matter of time. I heard a preacher say you give your heart to the things you give your time, so since I spend more time reading my books rather than my Bible, I am placing them higher in my affection than the Bible.

Yes, that makes sense! I'll probably read both in that case

Upvote 0