Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Right now I'm reading Take Back Your Life by Levi Lusko, The Dawn of Redeeming Grace by Sinclair Ferguson, and How to Make Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. When I manage to finish one of those, I will be returning to Question Based Selling.

I have a lot of business books and relationship books that a friend gave me to read, and a For Dummies book on iPhone development that I need to program through.

Upvote 0

Abraxos

Christ is King
Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,546.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Currently reading Mistborn: The Hero Of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. Book one, The Final Empire, is so good.

A friend of mine gave me two books to read, The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F____ and The Everyday Hero Manifesto by Robin Sharma.
Not precisely books I usually read, but I would probably read them sometime.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟207,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
A friend of mine gave me two books to read, The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F____
I think that book has some good points, but a hallmark of the Christian faith is caring for the body of believers and showing Christian love to the world. Learning not to care for Christians may be slightly counterproductive.

However, the author's point is that people waste time caring about stuff that doesn't matter to them or problems that they can't even solve, so they need to make an active choice what to care about. We're finite creatures with only so much energy and time. If you can stomach the profanity and the fact that the author (Mark Manson) isn't a Christian by any stretch of the imagination, it may give you some insight. At the very least, it's very entertaining.

• Informative
Reactions: Abraxos
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am reading Hard to Believe by John McArthur.
It’s about how many churches & people preach a pop Gospel to be more appealing but you need to preach the hard message.
Chapter 1 discussed how Jesus preached a hard message. It’s not all comfort.
Chapter 2 discussed how we get ashamed preaching it. But not once did the NT writers cave to make it more appealing. A big roadblock at the time of the NT would’ve been a crucifixion victim. The shame of crucifixion victims is lost on us today. The Greeks thought it was ridiculous & the Jews saw it as a sign of oppression & thought it contradicted the OT. The chapter ended with a section saying how the kingdom of God advances even tho a hard message is preached because of his sovereignty.
Chapter 3 is so far about how God usually picks the weak / forgotten / bottom / insignificant
He usually picks who he does to show the power is not in man, but his power. We shall not be discouraged
Chapter 4 is about how the people rejected Jesus himself when he preached the message. He was the Messiah they had been waiting for for so long, but they still rejected the message. If Jesus preached it & they rejected him, they'll reject anyone.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,012,737.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
1703973472386.png

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,012,737.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If you're willing to share, I'm just curious, what's it say? (I don't want a debate here, I'm just curious)

I'm only some sixty pages in, and already getting the sense it's another one of those books arguing that Sirhan Sirhan did not fire the fatal shot.

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For the past couple years, I’ve been reading books on theology & spirituality. Rather than posting a review when I finish a book, I’m going to start posting what the book is discussing. The books are very helpful, with good & applicable messages that need to be shared.

I am reading Hard to Believe by John McArthur.
It’s about how many churches & people preach a pop Gospel to be more appealing but you need to preach the hard message.
Chapter 1 discussed how Jesus preached a hard message. It’s not all comfort.
Chapter 2 discussed how we get ashamed preaching it. But not once did the NT writers cave to make it more appealing. A big roadblock at the time of the NT would’ve been a crucifixion victim. The shame of crucifixion victims is lost on us today. The Greeks thought it was ridiculous & the Jews saw it as a sign of oppression & thought it contradicted the OT. The chapter ended with a section saying how the kingdom of God advances even tho a hard message is preached because of his sovereignty.
Chapter 3 is so far about how God usually picks the weak / forgotten / bottom / insignificant

Before this I read The Love of God by John McArthur
It discussed how God can be both loving & wrathful. Also he loves both the righteous & the unrighteous. He’s good to the unrighteous (I forget why right now) but the goodness to those who reject him isn’t eternal. He has a saving love for those he’s picked.

I was reading Waiting on God by Charles Stanley but it got too hard.
Chapter 4 is about how the people rejected Jesus himself when he preached the message. He was the Messiah they had been waiting for for so long but they still rejected him.

Chapter 5 is about the wide & narrow gates. Many churches are too scared to hurt people by telling them Jesus is the only way. The wide gate that leads to hell is labeled heaven. Everyone has to pick one or the other

Chapter 6 is about how people think they are saved just b/c they think they say the right words.

Chapter 7 is on the wise man building his house on the rock, & the foolish building on sand. The foolish man’s house may look just like the wise builder’s, but under the surface, it’s not. It’s easy building the fool’s house

Chapter 8 is marks of a true disciple: manifests Christ’s character, willing to sacrifice, willing to be divided, willing to sacrifice your own life, no fear, & share your blessings w/ other Christians

Chapter 9 is about how many people thought John the Baptist was strange. But Jesus, who was more like them, they didn’t like his way of teaching either.

Chapter 10 is why people abandon the faith. They only want a miracle, they only like the show, they’re demanding God to do things for them, they don’t care for the eternal, they don’t care for worship, they mock it when away from the genuine by action or words, they don’t care about their sin

Chapters 11 & 12 are about how many churches don’t evangelize b/c they think man can be saved without knowing the Gospel, but you have to know the Gospel to be saved so we must evangelize. Man can reason a lot about God, but there's some things he still can't know all by himself

Book is all done.

Next I’m reading Making Choices for Godly Living. It is being shipped

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I read a Venom comic. It had 3 stories. The first was about how he views his relationship with the Symbiote as a marriage relationship. They go to the church they met at, where they were symbolically married. He meets a priest & hints he doesn’t like the relationship. The Symbiote gets mad & kills the priest.
I wasn’t sure what to think of this. On one hand as a Christian I liked the religious themes. & as someone who wants to be married, I saw the connection of meeting at a church and getting married at a church. But I thought the connection w/ their relationship being a marriage relationship, something felt wrong about that. Like how the pagans think marriage relationships are the only good relationships. (if 2 people love each other, it must be romantic love!)
The next story was how he & the Symbiote part & the Symbiote finds a new host. The panels, art, & dialogue made this hard to follow.
The final story was how after he defeats mall vandals, he thinks rage is a good thing b/c it allows him to defend the innocent. Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand it’s saying bad can be turned for good. On the other hand it’s saying bad is is in itself good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟150,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My friends at church give me Christian books to read so I read them, then they complain I'm not reading the Bible.
.__________.
That's weird. They could be the type to have short memories, forgetting you're not reading the Bible because they gave you other stuff to read. A lot of people don't think before they speak. If they remember in the moment and still act that way, they're just being unreasonable.

• Friendly
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟207,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I’m reading The 2 hour Job Search by Steve Dalton. Not to flex, but I also am working my way through Preparing For Marriage by David Boehl, Brent Nelson, Jeff Schelte & Lloyd Shadrach.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟207,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Me three. I finished The 2 Hour Job Search and have moved on to The Hockey Stick Principles by Bobby Martin. Also reading Ambiguous Adventure by Cheikh Hamidou Kane and The Poetry Home Repair Manual. So many books, I read at once.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had a slow start this year and resumed reading a week ago. I'm behind on my challenge and working my way through the Veronica Speedwell series (Deanna Raybourn) and Bruno, Chief of Police (Martin Walker). Cozy mysteries provide a comfortable counterbalance to heavier subjects and I've grown to enjoy them.

As the biblical new year draws near (Nisan) I'm endeavoring to cultivate new habits that enrich my walk and strengthen my person. I've felt a stirring towards the Amplified Bible and that will be my source for 12 months. In addition, I'd like to read a chapter per day from a physical book when possible.

I've started A Woman's Walk with God by Elizabeth George and I'm enjoying it thus far. While I could devour it in a short time span the daily morsels are nourishing and allow greater reflection than I'd undertake at a faster pace. Slowing down permits me to rekindle my commonplace practice and capture the nuggets once more.

~bella

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟908,675.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I had a slow start this year and resumed reading a week ago. I'm behind on my challenge and working my way through the Veronica Speedwell series (Deanna Raybourn) and Bruno, Chief of Police (Martin Walker). Cozy mysteries provide a comfortable counterbalance to heavier subjects and I've grown to enjoy them.

As the biblical new year draws near (Nisan) I'm endeavoring to cultivate new habits that enrich my walk and strengthen my person. I've felt a stirring towards the Amplified Bible and that will be my source for 12 months. In addition, I'd like to read a chapter per day from a physical book when possible.

I've started A Woman's Walk with God by Elizabeth George and I'm enjoying it thus far. While I could devour it in a short time span the daily morsels are nourishing and allow greater reflection than I'd undertake at a faster pace. Slowing down permits me to rekindle my commonplace practice and capture the nuggets once more.

~bella
Do you keep a commonplace book?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you keep a commonplace book?

I used to keep a digital version and took notes from the books I read. It reinforces recollection and puts nuggets within reach. If I find a quote I like I look for it on Goodreads and save it.

Are you thinking of creating one yourself?

Upvote 0