Truly Gifted Exploring Charisma

For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you-- that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. (Romans 1:11, 12 ESV)

The purpose of spiritual gifts is to provide strength to believers who follow in the lifestyle of Jesus. The impartation, reception and manifestation of these gifts provides encouragement to the full body of Jesus.

But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. (Romans 5:15, 16 ESV)

This reference is clearly a reference to the free gift of Jesus - salvation which redeems from Adam's curse of sin. Yet the word charisma is used here concerning the gift of salvation as it is later found concerning the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. This would indicate the Gifts of the Holy Spirit are as enduring as the free gift of salvation. Also, it indicates that just as the gift of salvation redeems one from the curse of sin and brings humanity back in fellowship with God, the Gifts of the Holy Spirit provides the manifested power of God break the ongoing bondages of the curse whether they are of a spiritual or physical origin!

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23 ESV)

The charismatic gift of salvation from God is eternal life in Christ Jesus. The nature of God is unchangeable, therefore the nature of His gifts are unchangeable! The gift of prophecy, the gifts of healings, the gift of tongues all have the same eternal quality as the gift of salvation.

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. (Romans 11:29 ESV)

God NEVER takes back that which He has promised or given to believers! It is Satan, who Jesus described as a thief, that steals, kills and destroys. The charismatic gifts of the Holy Spirit are restorative by their natures. The charismatic gift of salvation restores or reconciles humanity to God, the charismatic power gifts restore the power of God being able to be manifested through a human agency, the charismatic verbal gifts restore edification of the brotherhood of the Body of Christ, and the charismatic revelation gifts restores the knowledge and wisdom of God in a manner heretofore only experienced by Adam and Eve before they abandoned the grace of God in the Garden of Eden.

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. (Romans 12:3-8 ESV)

Two very important points about spiritual gifts are found in these verses:

1. The correlation between grace freely given to all who believe and spiritual gifts.

2. The activation of these ministry gifts comes by the measure of faith that God has assigned.

The gifts differ according to the grace God distributes to believers. It is based on the distribution of these gifts through the grace of God that the Holy Spirit chooses which gifts are appropriate to each believer.

I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus, that in every way you were enriched in him in all speech and all knowledge-- even as the testimony about Christ was confirmed among you-- so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:4-8 ESV)

The purpose of being enriched in Jesus in all speech and all knowledge is so that believers ARE NOT LACKING IN ANY SPIRITUAL GIFT! Also, notice the reference to the Day of the Lord Jesus Christ indicates the duration of these gifts endure until the time of the Second Coming of Christ.

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills. (1 Corinthians 12:4-11 ESV)

Notice that among the spiritual manifestations that exist within the Body of Jesus the Christ there are 3 categories:
1. Gifts
2. Service
3. Activities

The King James names them as:
1. Gifts
2. Administrations
3. Operations

These manifestations are 1) given "by the same God who empowers them all in everyone.", 2) given to the Body of Christ for "the common good", 3) empowered in believers by the Spirit of God and 4) it is the Spirit of God Who determines what manifestation is to activated in the lives of believers!

Also, look at the categories of manifestations again. I actually prefer the King James version for these verses.
Gifts. Administrations. Operations. I don't know about you but it appears to me that God has established a business model for the Body of Christ.
Administrator = CEO
These are the five fold ministry gifts found in Ephesians 4.
Operations = COO
These are the ministry gifts of Romans 12.

Gifts = the overall workforce. The ones who put into action the ideas and policies given out by the CEO and the COO.

And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way. (1 Corinthians 12:28-31 ESV)

GOD HAS APPOINTED...Not all believers share the same gifts. However, while the Sovereign God determines who receives which gifts He will also provide additional gifts to those who seek them and ask for them! It is like being in a branch of the military. A private is limited to information, weapons and training as it directly relates to his status and position. A four star general, however, has much greater access to each of the above. If the private wants access he must ask for that access and complete those activities that would give him his right to those things.

Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. (1 Timothy 4:14 ESV)

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:6, 7 ESV)

Spiritual gifts can be imparted to believers by those called to fulfill the administration of the Church, as the Body of Christ. While those in positions of spiritual authority can impart spiritual gifts through the laying on of hands they have no influence regarding the gifts being received.

Another factor of spiritual gifts is that the person through whom they are manifested does have the ability to influence their effectiveness by personal will and action. Paul told Timothy to "fan the flame of the gift of God". As a matter of fact, Paul told Timothy that to NOT fan the flame is nothing short of spiritual timidity and giving into fear rather than into the power of God granted through love exhibited by self control! NEVER be afraid to expand the role of God's gifts in your life. They are utilized to bring the power of God into the life of others.

The first charismatic gift from God is salvation. All the gifts of God are for the common good of all and can never be rescinded by God. Move forth, manifest your gift and fan it's flame so you can fulfill the ministry to which you have been called!