the myth of flat earth debunked again

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Visible" doesn't mean they can be seen by the naked eye.
Gif animations don't prove anything.
But given the first gif, satellites orbiting at that constant way should be able to be seen by the space station or another satellite pointed towards that direction.

If you are in orbit around the earth at that altitude, you are necessarily travelling at the same velocity as the satellites at that altitude and in the same direction. There won't likely be any satellites within visible range
Being in the same orbit does not equate to being in the same velocity, in supposed outer-space velocity can be changed easily.
If the satellites orbit at the equator, an orbit just below or above the equator would have a straight line of sight to the ring of satellites.

The ring is at center, a satellite orbiting above center would just need to go a bit slower and look down, turn on video, and certainly see something fly by. If there are 13,000 total satellites, there must be at least 1,000 in the supposed equator orbit ring, and that ring should definitely be able to be seen by something specifically sent to see it.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gif animations don't prove anything.
But given the first gif, satellites orbiting at that constant way should be able to be seen by the space station or another satellite pointed towards that direction.

Being in the same orbit does not equate to being in the same velocity, in supposed outer-space velocity can be changed easily.
If the satellites orbit at the equator, an orbit just below or above the equator would have a straight line of sight to the ring of satellites.

The ring is at center, a satellite orbiting above center would just need to go a bit slower and look down, turn on video, and certainly see something fly by. If there are 13,000 total satellites, there must be at least 1,000 in the supposed equator orbit ring, and that ring should definitely be able to be seen by something specifically sent to see it.
:doh::doh::doh:

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,195,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bravo! You once again demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of basic physics. Being in the same orbit absolutely requires travelling at the same velocity. Everything in orbit is falling towards the earth at a rate of approximately 9.8 metres per second squared. If it is not also travelling fast enough at a tangent to the orbit it will fall to earth instead of travelling in a circular arc. All satellites in a particular orbit are all travelling at the same velocity.
You can't have orbits above or below the equator. The path of the satellite has to be about the centre of the earth, so any satellite on an orbit above the equator will have half of its orbit below the equator as well. Picture a circle that has been tilted. There are a small number of satellites which have a polar orbit where they circle the earth via the poles of the earth.
The ring is at center, a satellite orbiting above center would just need to go a bit slower and look down, turn on video, and certainly see something fly by.
If the satellite goes a bit slower, it will start its spiral down and soon burn up in the earth's atmosphere.
If there are 13,000 total satellites, there must be at least 1,000 in the supposed equator orbit ring, and that ring should definitely be able to be seen by something specifically sent to see it.
At the orbit of geostationary satellites, they are going to be more than 200km apart, and given that the orbits generally don't line up exactly with the equator, but are each on a slightly tilted orbit, the likelihood of your orbit intersecting with that of another satellite in extremely slim.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It just amazes me that anybody would seriously believe the Earth is flat.
I'm 72 and I've seen a lot. I'm not surprised that someone would question the shape of the earth. What bothers me is the blind adherence to something so obviously false. And why they have to promote their delusion so vehemently is beyond me. The evidence for a globe earth is so compelling that there is no room for doubt - for a normal individual, that is.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The balloons, circle with the equator, on a flat earth map that circle is more towards the middle of the world.
To position a satellite for example in America, one will find themselves pointing generally towards what is called the north pole.
On a flat earth map showing the equator, the positions make more sense than a ball model.

And yes, the satellites give out waves, electromagnetic waves, not beams.
Multiple balloon satellites giving out the same signal wave, circling with the equator.

The limits exist because the earth is flat and we can not get out of the sky.
If we could get out of the sky, there should be less limits.

I was being a little facetious, but I did say

So your confirming my point, multiple balloons circling with the equator sending out the same signal,
and you just point your dish or whatever generally towards what is called the north pole.
On a good flat earth map it makes perfect sense.

Not a good analogy. The satellites are supposed to be at a fixed longitude, so, outside of the supposed ball, knowing the fixed horizontal place many of them are at, yes indeed, we should see them. Right, many circle the equator, so the middle of the supposed ball.
One seeing the whole ball, should see a ring of satellites almost like a saturn ring, right?

One within or close to that ring, should firstly be in danger of crashing with the satellites, and should definitely
be able to reach a point where many pass by all the time, since they are supposed to be orbiting at a fixed longitude, a ring at the equator line.

Surely I am more stupid than any man, and have not the understanding of man
I neither learned wisdom, nor have the understanding of the Holy One.
Who has ascended up into heaven or descended?
Proverbs 30:2-4

No man has ascended up to heaven or descended,
except he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
John 3:13
If you are so stupid (your words, not mine), why do you insist on your FE bunk? It just confirms your own assessment of yourself. Lord Jesus descended and ascended from and to the spiritual realm of heaven, not the physical. Even if you don't agree with that interpretation, Elijah ascended into heaven. So man going into space is not against the scriptures.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not a good analogy. The satellites are supposed to be at a fixed longitude, so, outside of the supposed ball, knowing the fixed horizontal place many of them are at, yes indeed, we should see them. Right, many circle the equator, so the middle of the supposed ball.
One seeing the whole ball, should see a ring of satellites almost like a saturn ring, right?
Where are you getting this information that they are all on a fixed longitudal orbit? Also you have to take into consideration that these satellites are spread out anywhere from a 200 mile altitude to 39,000 mile altitude.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,195,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Where are you getting this information that they are all on a fixed longitudal orbit?
That is the definition of a geostationary satellite.
Also you have to take into consideration that these satellites are spread out anywhere from a 200 mile altitude to 39,000 mile altitude.
Yeah, I don't think he appreciates the distances involved. If satellites were passing close enough to spot one from another, we would be losing satellites to collisions all the time. How easy is it to spot a small car 200km away? If you are in the earth's shadow, you are also trying to spot it in pitch darkness (unless the moon is out) and if you are not in the earth's shadow then you are trying to spot a small speck in the mass of light reflected from the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As it turns out, it's possible to observe geostationary satellites. Here's an article from Sky and Telescope:

• Informative
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As it turns out, it's possible to observe geostationary satellites. Here's an article from Sky and Telescope:

Yeah the guy that we were replying to was expecting that we should be able to see satellites scattered all over the sky in photos and videos taken from space. Perhaps he didn’t realize how far they are scattered in different orbits, trajectories, and altitudes. I think many people possibly think they’re just outside the atmosphere but that’s not the case.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For anyone interested in understanding how orbits and space flight in general works I highly recommend a free game called simple rockets. It’s free in the App Store for iPhone and should also be free for Android and I believe it’s also available on steam for pc. Flying in space is nothing like flying here on earth. Many people think there’s no gravity in space but that’s actually far from the truth. There’s actually always gravity in space which is why everything in space is constantly in an orbit around something else. Many people think that if you leave the atmosphere and you have any momentum at all you’ll keep traveling that direction forever which isn’t true. If you are traveling very slow away from the earth you will eventually stop and return back into the atmosphere because the gravitational pull of the earth extends far beyond the atmosphere. The only way you won’t return is if you have enough speed moving perpendicular to the planet that will put you into an orbit around the planet. If you actually get enough speed to escape the earth’s gravity then you’ll still be in an orbit around the sun. Another thing a lot of people don’t know is that you can’t actually stop in space, at least not without having some sort of propulsion keeping you from falling into a gravity sphere of influence. The only two games I’ve seen that accurately simulate space travel are simple rockets and Kerbal Space Program. Both are pretty interesting games to check out for anyone who might be interested.

Ok Simple Rockets on Google Play is $2.99

And it’s actually $7.99 on steam for pc

Here’s a video of Kerbal Space Program explaining how to fly from earth to the moon and back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where are you getting this information that they are all on a fixed longitudal orbit? Also you have to take into consideration that these satellites are spread out anywhere from a 200 mile altitude to 39,000 mile altitude.
That they are on a fixed longitude is stated by someone else in this thread on the globe side of the argument.
And then confirmed by others as the thread continues.
I'm also talking about seeing the ring of satellites from 'outer-space', not from the land.

Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are so stupid (your words, not mine), why do you insist on your FE bunk? It just confirms your own assessment of yourself. Lord Jesus descended and ascended from and to the spiritual realm of heaven, not the physical. Even if you don't agree with that interpretation, Elijah ascended into heaven. So man going into space is not against the scriptures.
If that passage in the Bible, (not my words) is about me and my kind, truthers, who should you listen to?

The earth is as the Bible describes, stationary with a dome over it,
[Gen. 1:7, Job 37:18, Isaiah 40:22, Job 9:8, Isaiah 45:7, Isaiah 44:24, Psalms 19:1-7, Isaiah 66:1, Psalms 104:1-35, Job 38:4-11]

Proverbs 30:2-4 is the divine word of God and directly relates to our discussion.
It begins with a little sarcasm.

"Surely I am more stupid than any man, and have not the understanding of a man,
I neither learned wisdom nor have the understanding of the Holy One,
Who has ascended up to heaven or descended? Who has gathered the winds in His fists?
Who has bound the waters in a garment? (the waters are under the sky, in the sky)
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is His name? And what is His Sons name, if you know it?"
Proverbs 30:2-4

Elijah was taken up into heaven by a chariot with horses; 2 Kings 2:11

Jesus bodily ascended up: Acts 1 :9-11

That passage does not say specifically where Jesus went, just that He ascended up beyond the clouds.
Paul says we will be "in the air" "in the clouds" with Jesus when He returns.

If we don't add anything, and don't pay attention to "oppositions of science" as Paul said,
we will not be deceived or confused.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All satellites in a particular orbit are all travelling at the same velocity.
The satellites are bunched up like a ball orbiting around the earth at the equator line?

You can't have orbits above or below the equator. The path of the satellite has to be about the centre of the earth, so any satellite on an orbit above the equator will have half of its orbit below the equator as well. Picture a circle that has been tilted. There are a small number of satellites which have a polar orbit where they circle the earth via the poles of the earth.
So anything orbiting the earth must be doing so at the equator?
The animation shown by another earlier in this thread is not correct, no such orbits are possible?
We're not talking about a circle, but a supposed ball, a globe.
If the equator is generally the middle of the globe,
therefore things orbiting on that line would be like a ring around the globe, tilted or otherwise.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The satellites are bunched up like a ball orbiting around the earth at the equator line?
Any satellite in the same orbit has to be moving at the same velocity. Any faster and it's higher. Any slower and it's lower. Geostationary satellites are moving in a circular orbit at the same angular velocity as the earth's rotation over the equator, and thus remain over the same point. Once you change the inclination of the orbit...
Then it's no longer remaining stationary over the same point of the earth. Place a satellite in an orbit with a period less than or greater than the earth's rotation, then its orbit will progress as the earth rotates below it. Actually, the orbit remains in the same place, it's just the earth that moves. If you place a satellite in an orbit so that it goes over the poles, it will eventually cross over every point on the planet as the earth rotates beneath it.

Something interesting, though, is that with a globe, all this is relatively simple. With a flat earth, though, it would be complex. A satellite would constantly have to change course, which means continually using its thrusters. Satellites don't. They use thrusters occasionally to change orbits and to counteract the effects of drag from what little atmosphere is at that point and such.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,195,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, they are spaced out along the particular orbit, like cars in a rally.
No. The plane of the orbit passes through the centre of the earth (I'm assuming you understand what a "plane" is in geometry), but that plane can be at any angle. The vast majority of satellites orbit at a small angle to the equatorial plane. Polar satellites orbit at 90 degrees to the equatorial plane. .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, they are spaced out along the particular orbit, like cars in a rally.
So indeed it is a ring of satellites, orbiting at the equator.
If one reads this whole thread carefully, you guys have been defeated, your arguments do not hold up to the truth.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,195,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So indeed it is a ring of satellites, orbiting at the equator.
No, it is multiple rings at slightly different angles to the equator
If one reads this whole thread carefully, you guys have been defeated, your arguments do not hold up to the truth.
By "carefully", you mean "with your eyes shut to prevent reading anything that contradicts your preconceived notions"?

Reactions: MForbes
Upvote 0

Berserk

Oct 15, 2011
✟44,905.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The flat earth offers the ideal vacation. You fly to the closest island to the edge of the flat earth. Then you take a helicopter ride to the edge and marvel at the mother of all waterfalls, as the ocean plummets over the edge into outer space. It's a real hoot!

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,168,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The flat earth offers the ideal vacation. You fly to the closest island to the edge of the flat earth. Then you take a helicopter ride to the edge and marvel at the mother of all waterfalls, as the ocean plummets over the edge into outer space. It's a real hoot!
What a ride! It would be a place like (though more of a trek than) the Golden Gate bridge, for jumpers. ;-)

(ah, I was outta date on that one. December 2023 update The Golden Gate Bridge is finally getting a safety net: ‘It might have saved my son’s life’ Also, people, there's only one Safety Net really....)

Upvote 0