Auckland
✟384,856.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are to read our bibles and cast down imaginations.

It is hard to interpret your comment as other than a 'put down'

There are few on CF that have read scripture as much as I have over my 64 years as a believer.

Returning to faith I spent 5 years straight devotionally reading scripture with no other input.

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟168,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It is hard to interpret your comment as other than a 'put down'

There are few on CF that have read scripture as much as I have over my 64 years as a believer.

Returning to faith I spent 5 years straight devotionally reading scripture with no other input.
Is it?

If you are constantly saying that "Jesus must have been born with all the attributes inside that were talked about in Isaiah 11" when the text specifically says that they were spiritual aspects that were to be "upon" Him,.... then is it not an imagination of yours?

Are you not imagining things instead of actually reading what's in the text?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟384,856.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we to conclude that Jesus did not have the Holy Spirit within Him from birth ?

I can't see how that can be theologically sound.

The Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit - He doesn't indwell us with parts of Himself.

If Jesus was fully man and fully God He must have been fully indwelled by the Fullness of the Holy Spirit including the seven aspects in question.

Jesus was tempted to exhibit works of power before He was baptised.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟845,486.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
OK back on track...

To further explain where I am coming from.

Jesus didn't need to be 'born again' like we do as He was indwelled by the Holy Spirit from conception.

Jesus presented God's wisdom from a young age before He was baptised later in life.

This is evidence that He was always indwelled by the Holy Spirit.

This also agrees with the Nicene Creed that He was fully man and fully God.

To be fully God without the Holy Spirit is to divide the trinity.

So then believers born again and indwelled by the Holy Spirit are also to be expressing the same attributes of God listed in Isaiah 11.

However in our case the flesh can block these Godly expressions so we must have this dealt with by the Power of the Spirit.

Now all I am describing is available to believers before being Baptised in the Holy Spirit.

This is not the Gifts of the Spirit in operation.

So I am putting this out there for critique - I haven't heard it taught but feel it has some merit.

Serious theological and scriptural responses most welcome.

This conclusion if correct encourages folks born again but not yet Baptised in the Spirit.
I think it is Bill Johnson who teaches that Jesus was actually born again and became God when He rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,790,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

I am closing this before someone makes a violation. The thread is actually off topic to this forum. The Spiritual Gifts mentioned in the Statement of Purpose for this forum include:
The Spiritual Gifts forum is a place for members to discuss the "gifts of the Spirit", also known as the spiritual gifts. The gifts of the Spirit are referenced in Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11, and 1 Corinthians 12:28. The spiritual gifts that may be discussed in this forum are: Prophecy, Service, Teaching, Exhortation (encouraging), Giving, Leadership, Mercy, Wisdom (speaking Biblical truth), Knowledge (spiritual insight), Faith, Distinguishing of Spirits (discernment), Apostleship, Administration, Evangelism, Shepherd or Pastor.
Yes, Jesus was/is fully God and fully man. And while there are three distinct Persons, they are One in essense.
However, with the Incarnation, Jesus was made lower that the angels for awhile:

Heb. 2:7 “You have made him for a little while lower than the angels; You have crowned him with glory and honor, And have appointed him over the works of Your hands;
Heb. 2:8 You have put all things in subjection under his feet.” For in subjecting all things to him, He left nothing that is not subject to him. But now we do not yet see all things subjected to him.
Heb. 2:9 But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.​

The orthodox view of the Holy Spirit and Jesus while on earth was that the Holy Spirit came upon Jesus at His baptism and remained.

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
John 1:30 “This is He on behalf of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’
John 1:31 “I did not recognize Him, but so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water.”
John 1:32 John testified saying, “I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him.​

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.