Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟291,343.00
Faith
Christian
A couple of plein air paintings in London

(1. Widegate Street - just a few yards away from London Liverpool Street station. (I'll probably go back for another session and add some people - while also adjusting a few angles)

Screenshot 2023-08-20 21.09.55.png

(2. 50 Glebe Place, Chelsea:

Screenshot 2023-08-20 21.19.21.png

Painting in London can be brutally difficult at times - especially on a Saturday in the West End. However, painting by painting, I'm building the confidence to "perform", talk to the public, and think on the spot.

Painting in plein air is an entirely different process to painting in the studio. In the studio you have consistent light and all of the time in the world to make decisions - hence why studio paintings always look amazing.

In plein air, you're dealing with difficult weather conditions, time constraints, the general public, lorries parking in the way of your subject, people knocking into you, strong gusts of wind that result in you chasing your brushes down the street, urgent needs for the toilet, security asking you to move, dogs stealing the muffins from your bag, people taking pictures, the list goes on... It's NOT just a case of painting, it's everything else that comes with it.

Yet still, painting in plein air is better. And to be honest, I sort of relish the austere environments.

It's also worth mentioning, that the colours of the environment vs the colours you see in the paintings appear different in places, only because of the glare caused by my terrible phone camera. The warm colours in my paintings were more true to the environment than they appear in these pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟291,343.00
Faith
Christian
Lady Agnew is in my top 5 favourite paintings. I'm not a portrait artist myself - and don't plan to be, but Sargent's mastery with those expressions is second to none. They gush over his realism, but it's those sultry faces that win me over.

I'm in NYC this week for a few plein air sessions, any recommendations for a good spot, please throw them my way.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Lady Agnew is in my top 5 favourite paintings. I'm not a portrait artist myself - and don't plan to be, but Sargent's mastery with those expressions is second to none. They gush over his realism, but it's those sultry faces that win me over.

I'm in NYC this week for a few plein air sessions, any recommendations for a good spot, please throw them my way.

I know nothing about NYC But i am guessing central park for landscapes.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟291,343.00
Faith
Christian

James Gurney in NYC Plein Air Painting

The fact that he painted that yellow taxi without reaching for a pop cadmium is nothing short of genius. They all chose such a pleasing composition.

I was actually looking at the Bridge against the Chrysler Building yesterday. The only thing that puts me off is that awkward glass building directly in front of it. It doesn't belong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Plenipotent

Aug 16, 2023
Massachusetts
✟12,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is something from my youth. The elements within it don't carry any profound significance for me, and it wasn't intended to convey a message of any kind. It was just practice. I attempted to replicate various images and styles I had come across online with my pencil. My aim was to mimic techniques I found impressive in other artworks. However, revisiting this piece always triggers a renewed desire to engage in drawing. The memory of the time and energy I invested in its creation cause me to doodle on my drawing tablet.

While it's nothing extraordinary by any means, it holds a special place for me. It reminds me of a period when I completely lacked confidence in myself and my abilities and viewed everything I created as garbage. This piece marks a pivotal moment when I earnestly dedicated myself to the act of learning how to draw for the first time.

125319.png

Upvote 0

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟192,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is something from my youth. The elements within it don't carry any profound significance for me, and it wasn't intended to convey a message of any kind. It was just practice. I attempted to replicate various images and styles I had come across online with my pencil. My aim was to mimic techniques I found impressive in other artworks. However, revisiting this piece always triggers a renewed desire to engage in drawing. The memory of the time and energy I invested in its creation cause me to doodle on my drawing tablet.

While it's nothing extraordinary by any means, it holds a special place for me. It reminds me of a period when I completely lacked confidence in myself and my abilities and viewed everything I created as garbage. This piece marks a pivotal moment when I earnestly dedicated myself to the act of learning how to draw for the first time.

View attachment 335419
That's really detailed. I love the compass. You definitely had/ have very good drawing skills. The folds in the map are really good too :)

Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟651.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
A Modern Day Masterpiece: The Plenary Mastodon
by Tranquil Bondservant
Given that I've been posting nothing but stolen unconsensually appropriated content I thought maybe it's time that I post some OC which I've been working on for the past 2-3 months. I spent about 127 hours in total finishing this work. I drew my main inspiration from Beethoven's "The Requiem in D minor, K. 626". It's a portrait on the human condition, showing the complete nature of man encapsulated by his inner most desires. Beethovens blindness really sparked in me a desire to represent what it must have been like for him to overcome his fears and play without sight.

Now I don't usually like to sell my art because I don't believe you can put a price on raw emotion; however, I thought a fair listing price for this work would begin somewhere around the $15,000 mark in case any art connoisseurs happened to stumble upon it.

The plenary mastodon.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Plenipotent

Aug 16, 2023
Massachusetts
✟12,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A Modern Day Masterpiece: The Plenary Mastodon
by Tranquil Bondservant
Given that I've been posting nothing but stolen unconsensually appropriated content I thought maybe it's time that I post some OC which I've been working on for the past 2-3 months. I spent about 127 hours in total finishing this work. I drew my main inspiration from Beethoven's "The Requiem in D minor, K. 626". It's a portrait on the human condition, showing the complete nature of man encapsulated by his inner most desires. Beethovens blindness really sparked in me a desire to represent what it must have been like for him to overcome his fears and play without sight.

Now I don't usually like to sell my art because I don't believe you can put a price on raw emotion; however, I thought a fair listing price for this work would begin somewhere around the $15,000 mark in case any art connoisseurs happened to stumble upon it.

View attachment 335422
When and where is the auction?!

Upvote 0