InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus my Light said:
Can u please direct me in a normal bible were Jesus says "You must go to a "CATHOLIC" church to be saved.

Can you please direct me to where a Catholic actually said this? I believe thereselittleflower just said that those who are not a part of the Catholic Church formally through no fault of their own, yet are Christians, are still part of the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0

Gwynne

Dancin', dancin', dancin'!!!!!
Mar 17, 2004
Michigan
✟8,569.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
InnerPhyre said:
Can you please direct me to where a Catholic actually said this? I believe thereselittleflower just said that those who are not a part of the Catholic Church formally through no fault of their own, yet are Christians, are still part of the Body of Christ.

And that covers probably a good majority of Christians. Fault of your own would be BELIEVING that the Catholic church is the one true church and STILL denying it. ((I personally am struggling with that one. I can understand the arguments for it, but I also understand the arguments against it and I'm just really trying to figure it out...)) It's sort of like the one unforgivable sin is KNOWING that Jesus is the WAY and STILL refusing to follow him.

Upvote 0

Freedom&Light

and I will give you rest.
Jul 4, 2004
Longview, TX
✟12,566.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Gwynne said:
((I personally am struggling with that one. I can understand the arguments for it, but I also understand the arguments against it and I'm just really trying to figure it out...))

Same here. :hug: But I love this board for answers! :)

Upvote 0

Gwynne

Mar 17, 2004
Michigan
✟8,569.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Freedom&Light said:
Same here. :hug: But I love this board for answers! :)

Yup :D I'd much rather go to a bunch of Catholics for answers about Catholicism than trust what the Pentecostal pastor down the street says about them (not good.....)

Upvote 0

Gwynne

Mar 17, 2004
Michigan
✟8,569.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
St. Amadeus II said:
Say I want to become a RC, but I will NOT accept that Mary was a perpetual virgin, short of a divine revelation, lol. Will I be excommunicated?

No, you just won't become RC until you accept it. But the RCIA, the program that you need to go through to become Catholic is so thorough that if you haven't accepted such a thing as Mary's perpetual virginity by the end of it, then there are probably a few other things you won't have accepted either and you won't want to become RC.

Upvote 0

JJM

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
Northern Indiana
✟14,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
St. Amadeus II said:
Say I want to become a RC, but I will NOT accept that Mary was a perpetual virgin, short of a divine revelation, lol. Will I be excommunicated?

In a sense the answer to your question is yes because by not excepting any teaching of the church you are excommunicating yourself. but you wouldn't be anymore excommunicated than you are now. However you probably won't be formally excommunicated because you aren't a major figure on the world scene. (Or are you ;) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
IloveJesusMyFather3:16 said:
You're fine. I would be upset too if I belonged to a particular denomination and so many people were spreading lies about it. I just hope that the Catholics believe in the grace of God and not so much the rules and traditions.....sounds like they do.
Yep, they certainly do. :) But as in any denomination or religion, there are some people who have the wrong idea, and/or do exactly what you said about rules and traditions.

While tradition can be a good thing, I found there are some people at my church who base everything around it. The other day I stayed with my mother after Mass to pray, and the people who stayed with us prayed out loud, very quickly like they were just reading useless words and didn't mean what they were saying. It's like they think just because you read the words, you are praying. But you have to mean what you are saying... and they didn't seem like they did. I mean, I don't know them personally... but I was really put off. And apparently there are lots of Catholics like this in our church. :(

I don't know if what I'm saying even makes sense. I guess my point is that there are 'slackers' (excuse that word, I can't think of a better one) in every denomination.

Upvote 0
&

><>InHisName<><

IloveJesusMyFather3:16 said:
I mean this in all inocency.....Do you believe that Mary is God - and what is your basis on praying to her? Do you believe Jesus died on a cross and is our savior? Do you believe that you cannot talk directly to God?
Mary is the MOTHER OF GOD. we pray to her because she is in Heaven, and she can perfect our prayers to her Son. Besides, Jesus does what His Mother asks Him to do....
Jesus is definitely our SAVIOR!!!!!!! Catholics believe in His death, which was the greatest gift of love anyone ever gave.
We talk directly to God all the time. Do you ask friends to pray for you? if we can ask for prayers from the living, why not the dead? those in Heaven are closer to God then we are, so our prayers, plus those of the Saints are very powerful!!
:crosseo:

Upvote 0

MrZoom

Catholic on Wheels
Jun 3, 2004
West Virginia
✟8,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
PreacherFergy said:
Has no one mentioned the alarming quote from Ligouri? When he said that when Mary commands something, all things obey, even God!?
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Acts 4:12

Catholic Apologist, Dave Armstrong corrects some misunderstandings and distortions of Liguori (please note the correct spelling!) in this article:

http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ54.HTM

Upvote 0
Gwynne said:
No, you just won't become RC until you accept it. But the RCIA, the program that you need to go through to become Catholic is so thorough that if you haven't accepted such a thing as Mary's perpetual virginity by the end of it, then there are probably a few other things you won't have accepted either and you won't want to become RC.
That's not necessarily so, either. I went through RCIA recently and was told nothing about Mary's sinlessness, assumption into heaven or the proposed fifth Marian dogma. They weren't even in our textbook. I found out about them only after being taken into the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
masuwerte said:
That's not necessarily so, either. I went through RCIA recently and was told nothing about Mary's sinlessness, assumption into heaven or the proposed fifth Marian dogma. They weren't even in our textbook. I found out about them only after being taken into the Church.
I am sorry the RCIA process you went through was lacking . .however, a local problem is not indicative of what happens in the Church over all .

I am really wondering how the process would have lacked something basic like this . . but I am sorry you experienced this. . .

However, what you should have been taught and accepted is that the Church teachings are trustworthy . .

We are not asked to personally approve every teaching of the Church . . we are asked if we can take a broaer view, and TRUST that the Holy Spirit is protecting the Church from teaching error . .

One really has to come to that understanding and faith to come into the Church, and if one does so, then teachings such as Mary's sinlessness, even though one may not personally understand it, present no problems as matters of faith, as we are able to trust that the Holy Spirit, protecting the Church from formally declaring error as truth, and so, can trust with childlike faith that it is true . .

There must be that trust . . that faith . . and that is something that most definitely should have been covered and which you should have been required to profess in faith during the Mass in which you were taken into the Church . .

Did that not happen either?

If you did make that profession of faith, to believe all that the Church teaches, then what happened regarding the issues of Mary that are taught formally by the Church?

Peace in Him!

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0
Yeah, the experience seems strange now, and I don't feel good about it. From the postings at oncecatholic.org, it seems that many RCIA programs are deficient. I said at the Easter Vigil, as instructed that day, "I believe and profess all that the Holy Catholic Church believes and teaches to be true." When I asked about the Assumption a few weeks later, I was told that I must believe it because of my Profession of Faith. I try not to let pride interfere with worshipping God, I try not to let denominational differences get in the way, but I can't help but feel that I was tricked.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
masuwerte said:
Yeah, the experience seems strange now, and I don't feel good about it. From the postings at oncecatholic.org, it seems that many RCIA programs are deficient. I said at the Easter Vigil, as instructed that day, "I believe and profess all that the Holy Catholic Church believes and teaches to be true." When I asked about the Assumption a few weeks later, I was told that I must believe it because of my Profession of Faith. I try not to let pride interfere with worshipping God, I try not to let denominational differences get in the way, but I can't help but feel that I was tricked.
I am really sorry . . and I can understand how you must have felt . .

Is the assumption of Mary something that you can't even accept as possible, and so out right reject?

Or is it something you just can't be 100 % sure of on a personal level?

Do you believe the Church can err in its teachings?

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0
Certainly Mary COULD have been assumed bodily into heaven, and at the least she is in heaven as a saint. All generations shall call her blessed. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the Church's Mariology.

And yes, I believe that the Church, inspired as it is by the Holy Ghost, is composed of fallible human beings and capable of making a mistake.

So I'm still exploring my conscience, to see if I can be part of the Church or not.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
masuwerte said:
Certainly Mary COULD have been assumed bodily into heaven, and at the least she is in heaven as a saint. All generations shall call her blessed. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the Church's Mariology.

And yes, I believe that the Church, inspired as it is by the Holy Ghost, is composed of fallible human beings and capable of making a mistake.

So I'm still exploring my conscience, to see if I can be part of the Church or not.
It is good you are doing this. :) We don't just blindly accept the teaching of the Church . . there must be an inner conviction that the Church is right . .

Now . . I am going to get fairly direct with what I am going to say next:

But above that, there is a higher level of conviction . . that the Church cannot err in matter of faith and morals . . for if it can, then, and here I am going to be very bold, you can trust nothing of Chrsitianity . . not one thing . .

For it is the Church who wrote the New Testament, and gave you the bible choosing between what was scripture and what was not . .

If the Church can err in matters of faith and morals, then it could have erred in the writing of the New Testament, and in the colleciting of the canonical books . .

If the Church can err in matters of faith and morals, how do you know that what you have in your hand called the bible is really the inspired scriptures?

How do you know the Gospel of Thomas shouldn't be there? How do you know the letter of James should be there? How do you know Acts is accurate and inspired?

How do you know that the Church did not err when She put the scriptures together?

How do you know the doctrine of the Trinity is indeed true? How do you know the Church did not err when it declared it?

How do you know that Jesus really rose from the dead? Perhaps this is a myth and the Church erred in believing in it?

If the Church, made up of individuals, however fallible, can err collectively when teaching on matters of faith and morals, How do you know anything that you believe is in fact true?

We can then have no assurance that the Christian faith is indeed true .

Unless . . . .. there is an infallible teacher . .

If there is no infallible teacher, then there is no Christianity . .

For then, we can have no idea if what we believe is even true . .

Do you see the delima?

Protestant Chrsitianity is based on certain assumptions . . certain assumptions they cannot prove true without admitting that the Catholic Church is an infallible teacher . . for the Catholic Church is the Apostolic Church and received its teachings directly from the Apostles.

If the Church can err now, then one has to admit that the Church carrying forward apostolic teaching could have also erred . . right from the beginning.

Do you think that the Church would have canonized scripture that did not support what the Church taught and believed as true?

So if the Church can err, and thus could have erred then, what assurance do you have?

But now look at it in this light . .

Jesus made certain promises . .

He promised to build the Church on Peter . .

He promised that the gates of hell would not prevail against the Church.

He promised that the Holy Spirit would lead the Church, through the Apostles into ALL TRUTH.

Through Paul the Holy Spirit has firmly declared that the Church is the Pillar and Foundation of the Truth.

If the Church was NOT led into all truth through the Aposltes . . then Christ liled . . .

If the Church WAS led into all truth, but then later erred in its teachings, the Christ also lied, for the Gates of Hell would have then prevailed against the Church . .

Satan is a liar and the father of lies . . error is a lie, a falsehood is diametrially opposed to what is true . .

Follow me a little further in this line of reasoning:

If the Church has erred, then the Church has believed and taught a lie . . .

If the Church has believed and taught a lie, then it is no longer the Pillar and Foundation of the Truth and the bible is false.

IF the Church is not longer the Pillar and Foundation of the truth, then the Gates of Hell have prevailed against the Church, bringing its lies and falsehood into the Church.

If the Gates of Hell have prevailed against the Church then Jesus lied, Chrsitianity is a sham, and we are most to be pitied . .

Let's take it a little further . .

If the Church CAN err . . then it has ceased to be the pillar and foundation of the truth . . .

Let me ask you this. ..

How can the pillar and foundation of the truth err?

IF the bible is true, then the Church, founded by Christ and His apostles, IS the Pillar and Foundation of the truth . .

That Church was founded on Peter . . .

That Church was at the beginning, and has continued to be for 2000 years, the Catholic Church . . .

The Catholic Church continues to be built on Peter . . continues to be the Pillar and Foundation of truth . . .

If not, then Hell has won . . . .

Do you see the delima you have presented to yourself if you believe the Church can err?

If the Church can err, then the scriptures are false . . and Christ's promises are false . .

It gets really basic here . .

This is really where the tire meets the road . .

Can you trust what the scriptures say?

That the Church is the Pillar and Foundation of the truth?
That the Holy Spirit led the Apostles, and thus the Church into ALL TRUTH. . (which by nature excludes error) ?

Do you believe that the Gates of Hell will NEVER prevail against the Church?

If so . . then you can trust that in all matters of faith and morals the Church has not now erred or has ever erred in its teachings or ever will err . . you can approach this all with a simple childlike faith and by faith believe what the mind has not yet understood or even fully accepted.

Can you assent to the fact that it is the Church's teaching that Mary was assumed into heaven?

Just finding it hard to believe does not put you in a position of rejecting the Church . .. :)

There are different levels of rejection of the truth and thus of the Church . . these are found in the CCC 2089

There is first Incredulity . . this is a neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to believe . .

This is very important to understand. You are not separated from the Catholic Church because you don't understanding something or find it hard to believe . . otherwise the Catholic Church would loose most of its members overnight.

The quesiton here is a matter of will . . .

Are you willing to believe that Mary was assumed into heaven if it is indeed true?

From what you have said above, I believe you are! :)

Your inabliity to believe right now does not separate you from full communion with the Catholic Church . ..

You have not willfully refused to believe it . .

Do you see this?

You are not a heretic . . Heresy is the OBSTINATE refusal to believe. .

You are having problem with a doctrine .. but you are trying to understand it and are willing to give full assent of mind and will if indeed true . . this is NOT obstinate refusal to believe!!

There is nothing in your difficulties that separates you from full communion with the Church.

Notice the word Obstinate again . . . this means over a long periood of time . . you came into the Church and a short while later were confronted with this . . that was not a long period of time

I don't know who told you what you were told and how that was conveyed to you . . . but I am concerned that this was not conveyed properly.

The question is . . . are you WILLFULLY or OBSTINATELY refusing to believe this is true?

If you are not, then you have not rejected this teaching . . having difficulty is a human experience . . The Church does not penalize you for this or say you are less a Catholic for this.

If I can at all encourage you, please return to the Church and receive the Sacraments . .. in so doing you allow great Grace to be infused into your life and this in turn gives Grace for understanding and faith . ..

Do not separate yourself like this . . . you were not lied to or deceived regarding what the Church teaches . . something may have been neglected, but the fact that you were not able to come to a complete assent to this doctrine before coming into the Church really does not represent the problem it seems to you right now to represent. . .

I think this requirement for belief and what it means and does not mean was not fully explained to you . . The responsibility for this does not lie with you, but with those teaching and insructing you.

The Assumption of Mary, while dogma, is not a core dogma like the Eucharist.

We just came into the Church this last Easter . . while I spent 3 years throughly investigating the Cahtolic faith, my husband had not . . and he has difficulty with the CORE DOGMA of the Eucharist and the Real Presence. . .

Our priest has been very good in assuring him that this does not present a problem, for my husband is desiring to understand and believe fully . . Just as you are . .

If my husband can be in right standing and full communion with the Church having difficulty over the Eucharist, you most certainly can be with the doctrine of the Assumption of Mary . .

Do you see this?

Do not accept the judgemental nature of others . .

You cannot dissent from the doctrine of the Assumption of Mary . .for that would be willful . . . you can say, I don't know if I can believe it fully right now . . I acknowledge that it could be so, and I am willing to let God lead me into a full understanding of this doctrine and be in full communion with the Church.

It is a matter of the heart . . not a matter of the mind . .

God does not penalize you if you have trouble accepting something . . He says Come unto me . .

Have you spoken at length with your priest about this? I mean more than just a brief conversation?

What did he have to say?

If you have not done so yet, may I encourage you with all my heart to do so!

Do not let this fairly small matter (and really it is fairly small in the larger scheme of things) prevent you from receiving all you can from the Church . . Grace abounds within the Church . . Divine Sanctifying Grace :)

Do not keep yourself form it any longer than necessary! :)

Peace in Him!

Reactions: plum
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.