I am seeking answers on multiple questions about Christianity as a muslim that is curious and lost

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟161,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi

For years, I've been questioning my faith as a Muslim. After leaving Islam and drifting into agnosticism, I felt profoundly lost. However, during Ramadan last year, I rediscovered God and returned to Islam. Yet, despite feeling a connection with God in my heart, I find myself struggling to maintain consistent religious practice and connection with Islam as a religion. Recently, I've found myself drawn to Christianity, intrigued by its teachings. While watching a video that concluded with a call to salvation, I experienced a stirring in my heart, prompting me to explore this newfound interest further.

But I have so many questions and I can’t find an answer that satisfies me so I thought I would email as many churches and religious figures and access as many religious platforms as possible to seek an array of answers and perhaps gain some closure.

1. Regarding the difference between Jesus in Islam and Christianity, how do Christians reconcile the concept of Jesus being the Son of God with the belief in monotheism?

2. I watched a video by Bishop Mari Mari where he mentioned that Mohammed couldn't speak about Jesus like John did because he didn't witness him firsthand. How does this rationale apply to other authors in the Bible who also didn't directly witness Jesus?

3. If prophets like Abraham and Moses were sent by God, what was their purpose if not to bring the message of God, if God had previously only ever sent messengers why can’t Jesus be a messenger too?

4. How does hellfire and heaven work in Christianity?

5. Can you elaborate on the differences between Christian denominations and how they interpret various aspects of the faith?

6. How does Christianity address the existence of evil and suffering in the world, especially in the context of a loving and all-powerful God?

7. How does prayer work in Christianity, and what is its significance in the life of a believer? Do Christians have the same concept as the 5 daily prayers?

8. How do Christians explain the theological significance of Jesus being referred to as the Son of God and its implications for their faith?

9. Why should I choose Christianity and not Islam? What makes Christianity true and completely debunks Islam?

I have had a sudden pull to Jesus and christ these last couple days, I am not sure if it is a sense of belonging or the holy spirit coming to me but I would really appreciate my questions being answered. Thank you for your time.

1. Regarding the difference between Jesus in Islam and Christianity, how do Christians reconcile the concept of Jesus being the Son of God with the belief in monotheism?
    We are human, He is God. We are a spirit living in a physical body. We speak human words. He is a Spirit that for a time put on a fleshly body who speaks a heavenly language. He is “The Word of God.” God spoke words that brought creation into existence. As our words are ours, Christ is Gods Word.
    2. I watched a video by Bishop Mari Mari where he mentioned that Mohammad couldn't speak about Jesus like John did because he didn't witness him firsthand. How does this rationale apply to other authors in the Bible who also didn't directly witness Jesus?
    It doesn't. You can have a relationship as a son pf God. It is the Spirit of god that inspires His children and wrote the bible.

3. If prophets like Abraham and Moses were sent by God, what was their purpose if not to bring the message of God, if God had previously only ever sent messengers why can’t Jesus be a messenger too?
    He brought a message, so He was a messenger. His message is/was the He is the fulfillment of previous messages.

4. How does hellfire and heaven work in Christianity? It is a separation of the sheep and the goats. The crop and the weeds. Heaven? I don't claim to know. I do know that access to the Kingdom of Heaven is within me through Christs sacrifice and Gods Spirit. The Lake of fire is the second death. Absolute and eternal separation from God.

5. Can you elaborate on the differences between Christian denominations and how they interpret various aspects of the faith? If they are true Christian Bodies of Christ the core believe is the same. At some point in history some man decided he know something different or special, who cares?

6. How does Christianity address the existence of evil and suffering in the world, especially in the context of a loving and all-powerful God? God, loves all men and wants “none to perish” contrary to some who persist in the delusion that we have no choice. Forced love is not love at all. People make bad choices yet it is that ability to say, 'Yes Lord' that is our signature on God's contract with man. It is perhaps the most meaningful agreement we can make. When marriage is proposed it is accepted or rejected, We are the “bride of Christ.”

7. How does prayer work in Christianity, and what is its significance in the life of a believer? Do Christians have the same concept as the 5 daily prayers? We walk with God spiritually as did Adam in the garden. We talk with God. We commune. Some like a program, a schedule for prayer. I honestly don't find any place in creation that God isn't. So, it's an ongoing conversation. Sometimes requests, others praise and worship or questions.

8. How do Christians explain the theological significance of Jesus being referred to as the Son of God and its implications for their faith? Christ said in no uncertain terms that He is the way, and there is no other way but through Him. Scripture tells us that He created everything.

9. Why should I choose Christianity and not Islam? What makes Christianity true and completely debunks Islam? Christianity speaks of forgiveness. Islam is an eye for an eye. Christ is God. Muhammad was a man. God through Christ created mankind as an expression of love, Muhammad created nothing. If I have to choose between putting my faith in a man or in God, it is not difficult. If I am honest with myself I am fatally flawed and a far cry from perfect. As such I cannot not exist in the presence of a pure God. Christ has made me acceptable in Gods sight in His death by which He removed my sin and brings me home.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
about one God: Jesus is the word of God, and God is a infinitely complex unity, with word, spirit. It is like God's word is God, God's spirit is also God (vs in Islam Jesus is spirit of God).

Jesus is what God send down to purify us, an example is only clean water cleans, dirty water will get us dirtier. So only God can clean us.

The Quran confirms the Bible (many verses), tells Christians to observe Torah and Gospel (i.e .Surah 5.68), said God's word can't be changed. Yet most Muslims will tell you the Torah/Gospel are corrupt today. That stuck me hard when I was having doubts about the Bibles authenticity.

I hope this helps. Also you can search for David Wood on youtube, he is a bit blunt but he speaks truth.

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟174,664.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Nabeel Qureshi was an American Arabic theological Christian doctor with Islamic background. He died in his 30’s years old. Search his name would find plenty of materials about the relationship between Isaac and Ishmael.

Ish-Shema-El, means the Lord hears man from right to left, and from left to right, man hears the Lord. It is a double way , full of interaction. What did the Lord hear? Affliction.

Gen.16:11 And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.

The basic meaning of “Jihad” is not holy war, but “Struggle”. In Jewish teaching, everyone need to understand everyone is in “Struggle” and affliction.

Gen. 17:20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

Why did the Lord bless Ishmael with fruitful \multiplying and great? In my opinion the Lord wants more people hear Him and He likes to hear more people.

Pray for the war of Simchat Torah. May miracles happen between Isaac and Ishmael.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟152,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
There is a common saying among American Christians. "Christianity isn't a religion. It's a relationship." I think that demonstrates the difference between Islam and Christianity. Christianity is about God's love. That God loved us so much He died for us.

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." - John 15:13

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." - John 13:34

"The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." - Romans 8:15-17

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38-39

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi

For years, I've been questioning my faith as a Muslim. After leaving Islam and drifting into agnosticism, I felt profoundly lost. However, during Ramadan last year, I rediscovered God and returned to Islam. Yet, despite feeling a connection with God in my heart, I find myself struggling to maintain consistent religious practice and connection with Islam as a religion. Recently, I've found myself drawn to Christianity, intrigued by its teachings. While watching a video that concluded with a call to salvation, I experienced a stirring in my heart, prompting me to explore this newfound interest further.

But I have so many questions and I can’t find an answer that satisfies me so I thought I would email as many churches and religious figures and access as many religious platforms as possible to seek an array of answers and perhaps gain some closure.

In another thread on Exploring Christianity I've tried to answer some questions about the Christian doctrine of the Trinity over the last few days. My posts in that thread are here, here, and here. I don't know that it will completely address and answer your question here, and they are fairly long posts (my apologies), but I do hope that they offer some information that is useful. If there is anything in them that you would like to ask further questions of, please feel free to post your questions here and I'll try to do my best to find time and to answer them to the best of my abilities.

As to briefly answer this question right now: It may seem weird, even paradoxical, but actually in Christianity our talk of Jesus as the Son of God is fundamentally about monotheism. It's not monotheism the way Islam defines it, but from the Christian perspective it really is all about the unity and oneness of God. When we say Jesus is "the Son of God" we don't mean that God sired another god, or another divine being; we are actually talking about the way in which Jesus is God in relation to God the Father; and this relationship happens in the oneness, the unity, of God's indivisible Being. I try to cover a lot of that in the first post in that thread I linked to above; and I continue to touch on it more in the second, and also the third.

But suffice to say, Christians do not feel a need to reconcile anything, because for us this is simply what monotheism is in Christianity: There is only one God, and there are Three Divine Persons, each the same and only one God.

2. I watched a video by Bishop Mari Mari where he mentioned that Mohammed couldn't speak about Jesus like John did because he didn't witness him firsthand. How does this rationale apply to other authors in the Bible who also didn't directly witness Jesus?

I'm not familiar with Mari Mari, but when I use Google to do a search, I see mention of Mari Mari Emanuel of the Assyrian Church, who currently lives in Australia. Is this who you are referring to? Again, I'm not familiar with him, or his work. But I do understand the gist of his argument here.

I would say it's not only about firsthand witness, though that is a factor; it's also about approximation. For an analogue, it is my understanding that in Islam those hadiths which were written by firsthand witnesses to Muhammad tend to have greater importance placed on them, and that the closer a hadith is to the life and times of Muhammad, and to a more more reliable source--proximity in time and association with those who knew Muhammad--tend to be considered more trustworthy. Perhaps I misunderstand, correct me if I am wrong about this.

In a similar way, however, this comes down to what we would describe as proximity. There are those who had first-hand experience and witness to Jesus. The most important of these being the Twelve Apostles (Peter, James, John, etc). But, for example, Paul is also very important; while Paul never met Jesus during Jesus' earthly ministry, and even if one doesn't believe Paul's testimony about meeting the Resurrected Jesus on the road to Damascus as described in the Acts of the Apostles. Paul is still considered very important because Paul's relationship with those who personally knew Jesus, such as Peter and James, and their confirmation of Paul's own ministry, renders Paul authoritative. And then we are also talking about people who knew Jesus' apostles who played important roles in the leadership of the early Christian communities.

For example, St. Ignatius of Antioch was an early Christian bishop of Antioch, around the year 107 AD he was arrested by the Roman authorities, and taken as a prisoner to Rome where he would face a martyr's death. During that journey he wrote seven letters, six letters to different Christian communities, including one sent ahead of him to the Christians in Rome, and also a personal letter to his friend and fellow bishop Polycarp. We don't know how old Ignatius was, only that he was an old man, and so he had been a bishop for quite some time. According to those who knew him, or knew those who knew him, such as Polycarp and Polycarp's students, Ignatius had been a bishop in Antioch since the time of Nero (around 67 AD) after Peter, Paul, and Ignatius's predecessor Evodius had all died under Nero's persecutions of Christians. Peter, one of Jesus' Twelve Apostles, and Paul, had their base of operations in Antioch, they worked together there in their preaching, even as both engaged in missionary travels as well. Ignatius knew them, he learned under their preaching. That makes Ignatius pretty important, while his writings are not part of the Christian Bible, they are a very important early witness to Christian belief and practice, and contribute to the Christian understanding of the earliest followers of Jesus and what they believed and how they practiced their religion.

(cont in next post)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is this continuation, a rather strong historical record of interconnected people, sharing the same beliefs, practicing their religion together, and how it all gets traced back to Jesus Himself; with those writings which make up the New Testament at the core of this, that is a central historical center for historic, traditional, mainstream Christianity--even though modern Christians are divided into different denominations, branches, or groups (Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants, etc) this same historical core of Christianity remains the chief common denominator among us. Which is why we are confident that in our core confession of religious faith, what we believe, teach, preach, and practice comes directly from Jesus, and is the religion of Jesus first disciples and followers.

We wouldn't exactly say Abraham wasn't a prophet. But we don't generally talk about Abraham as a prophet, instead we refer to Abraham as a patriarch. We don't believe Abraham came with a message from God, but rather that God came to Abraham and made promises to Abraham. It's those promises to Abraham that are important in Christianity.

Those promises include the promise of God establishing a nation of people, fulfilled when Moses was chosen to be God's messenger or prophet to the Hebrew slaves in Egypt, to deliver them and fulfill God's promise to Abraham. To be taken into the land of promise (Canaan) and receive God's instructions on what it meant to be His people (the Torah). God did this, He rescued the Jews from slavery in Egypt, made a covenant promise with them at Mt. Horeb in the Sinai desert, and gave them the instructions which they were to observe (Torah). The Torah was not a universal message for all mankind, but the instructions for the Jewish people as part of the covenant God made with them in Sinai.

But for Christians there is a much more important promise and aspect of these promises, which we believe are fulfilled in Jesus, the Messiah. And that the deliverance of the Hebrew slaves and the giving of the Torah served ultimately to lead the way for the coming of Jesus. And thus Jesus is not a messenger from God, Jesus is actually Himself God's Message.

The Prophets of old came with messages from God, they came speaking "Thus saith the Lord", they came with warnings to turn away from evil and toward repentance; but they also came with promises from God about how God would ultimately bring redemption and healing to the world. This, Christians believe, is the promise of the Messiah, that the Messiah would come and bring this redemption and deliverance to the whole world--and Jesus is the Messiah, the promised Redeemer and Deliverer, the Savior, of the whole world. Jesus did not come with another message, Jesus is the Message.

The promise of Jesus, Christians believe, can be seen from the beginning, even right when Adam and Eve rebelled in the Garden of Eden and God promises that from Eve would come Someone who would crush the serpent. We see it in the story of Noah, where the flood did not solve the problem of human sin (the story unfolds with Noah cursing Ham's son) and in the promise of how God would never flood the earth again (Christians see in this story a number of elements, such as the ark Noah built rescuing them from the flood becomes a foreshadowing of the salvation which Jesus brings to the world). To Abraham the promise that he would be the father of many nations and through him all nations would be blessed is fulfilled in Jesus, in whom all tribes and nations and peoples are united together as a new people (the Church). To Moses, and all the Prophets, all the way to John the Baptist. It's all about Jesus.

So Jesus isn't another messenger, or another prophet in a long line of prophets bringing a message from God to people about how they need to follow the right way and depart from sin. Jesus is the Message about which all the Prophets before Him spoke, He is the whole point of everything that happens in the Bible. Jesus is the centerpiece of all human history.

In Christianity, we don't believe God's Message and Revelation is a text or a sermon, but a Person. It's Jesus. The Bible is not God's Revelation, with a capital 'R'. The Bible is what witnesses God's Revelation, because it testifies and bears witness to Jesus.

4. How does hellfire and heaven work in Christianity?

That's a gigantic question with difficult and not entirely clear answers.

There's no definitive consensus about Hell in Christianity. There are different views and different ideas. So on the one hand some Christians believe that Hell is a literal place of eternal torment where unbelievers and evil people go and it's literal fire and literal brimstone and all that. This view is pretty uncommon though and tends to exist only among certain Protestant Fundamentalists. On the other hand, many Christians would say Hell is not a place at all, but instead the state or disposition of the soul which is sinful and at odds with God. The 7th century Christian writer St. Isaac the Syrian writes that hell is what happens when people experience the love of God in eternity but who feel nothing but bitterness and regret. Retired Anglican bishop and New Testament scholar N.T. Wright argues that hell is what it looks like when human beings progressively reach a state of dehumanization, which is how N.T. Wright understands the idea of "the second death" as described in St. John's Apocalypse (aka the Book of the Revelation, the final book of the New Testament).

What all ideas about hell have in common, however, is that it is, in essence, what happens when a human person is so thoroughly alienated from enjoying God, and the life of God, that they experience something that is awful and ultimately incomprehensible. Not an annihilation of their existence, but we might say the annihilation of human dignity. The willful and total negation of all the beautiful things that it means to be human and created in the image and likeness of God.

Heaven, on the other hand, is in some ways easier to talk about. Though there tends to be a lot of misunderstanding about it, even among a lot of Christians.

The concept of "Heaven" is two-fold:

1) What happens after we die?

2) What is the ultimate state of the world?

When Christians talk about "going to heaven" after they die, it refers to a statement made by St. Paul in one of his letters, specifically his second letter to the Christians in the city of Corinth. In that letter he somewhat casually says, given the sufferings he has experienced and continues to experience, he considers it preferable to "be apart from the body and present with the Lord". In this sense "heaven" refers to a state of existence between the death of the body and the resurrection of the body at the end of history. Where those who trust in Jesus will be in His presence, experience a state of rest with Him. They will be with God, and in the company of all the departed saints, and the host of angels who dwell in God's presence. It's not a place (or, at least, the vast majority of Christians would never consider it a place in any literal sense) but something outside of our limited finite comprehension--it is an enjoyment of God and His presence, awaiting the Last Day, when Jesus returns, the dead are raised bodily, and God makes all things new.

In the sense of talking about the ultimate state of the world, "heaven" is often used as short hand for when God renews, heals, and redeems all of creation. The Bible uses the language of "new heavens and new earth" to talk about this restoring and healing of creation. Where there is no longer death, or suffering, or disease, or sorrow or grief. Because the old order, the order of sin and death, is totally gone and done away with. And there is a kind of marriage or union between heaven (God's glorious presence) and earth (the physical universe). And here we enjoy God forever, experience the beauty and goodness of God and God's creation, and exist as God always purposed everything to be. It's what everything was all about, it's all of history, and creation summed up, and made new and healed in and through Jesus.

5. Can you elaborate on the differences between Christian denominations and how they interpret various aspects of the faith?

Not without writing about a dozen full length tomes.

I can offer an incredibly brief overview using history though.

Originally there was just the Church, or the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, as we read in the Nicene Creed. From the time of the Apostles onward, this described mainstream, orthodox Christianity. Christian communities in different places, meeting together for worship, practicing their faith, with bishops/pastors leading these communities in fellowship together. It wasn't all sunshine and roses, there were debates and different theological controversies that popped up. But the central mainstream that emerged under Jesus and His Apostles was a singular communion of Christian believers.

The first real break among Christians happened in the 5th century (specifically 431 AD). I won't get into the whys or the hows, but it resulted in a split between the Assyrian Church (aka the Church of the East) and the rest of Christianity. In the same century (specifically 451 AD), another schism happened, which resulted in several Eastern Church (the Egyptian or Coptic Church, the Syriac Church, the Armenian Church, and the Ethiopian Church more specifically) and the other Churches no longer being in communion and fellowship. We tend to refer to these Churches collectively as the "Oriental Orthodox".

The next big schism was a doozy. Again, the circumstances are very complicated, but the split happened between East and West in the year 1054. Resulting in what we usually refer to as the Roman Catholic Church in the West, and the Eastern Orthodox Church in the East.

So at this point, there are basically four different Churches which all identified as the same Church which Jesus started:

The Roman Catholic Church
The Eastern Orthodox Church
The Oriental Orthodox Churches
The Assyrian Church

In Western Europe, where the Western or Roman Catholic Church dominated, a lot of things happened between the 11th and 16th centuries. But the next big thing to happen was what is called the Protestant Reformation.

This one is huge, because it wasn't a single event, and the term "Protestant Reformation" is actually misleading. Historians actually speak of three "Reformations":

1) The Magisterial Reformation
2) The Radical Reformation
3) The English Reformation

The Magisterial Reformation refers to two reform movements, the first under Martin Luther, who believed in reforming the Catholic Church, and which largely retained much of the norms of Roman Catholic practice. And the second involving several key figures, most notably John Calvin, but also Ulrich Zwingli and John Knox. These three are generally considered the fathers of the Reformed Tradition; whereas Luther's name is attached to the Lutherans. So two major Protestant traditions emerged from the Magisterial Reformation: The Lutheran Tradition and the Reformed Tradition (often known as Calvinism).

The Radical Reformation refers to a bunch of different more "extreme" religious movements that emerged in Western Europe at the time, these groups wanted to go a lot further than what men like Luther or Calvin wanted or were doing. A lot of these groups get lumped together as The Anabaptists, but "Anabaptist" is doing a lot of heavy lifting, because again it's a lot of different movements. However, the term Anabaptist is helpful because one thing a lot of these groups had in common is a belief that baptizing infants and children was wrong, and so they they re-baptized themselves (ana "again" baptist "baptizer"). Many of these groups were violent and ended up quelled by state authorities, but others were pacifist and have actually continued. For example the Mennonites (named after Anabaptist leader Menno Simons) and a splinter group from the Mennonites, known as the Amish.

Finally, the English Rreformation refers to a different sort of thing altogether. As you are from the UK, you are probably familiar with King Henry VIII and his penchant for wanting a male heir and not getting one, so he was all, "I want a divorce" and the Pope said "No". And long story s hort, Henry said, "Fine, I'll be the head of the Church of England, and I'll give myself the right to divorce". Then Catholic and Protestant factions went back and forth until Anglicanism became a kind of both Protestant and Catholic sort of thing.

After the Reformation we continue to see the emergence of new religious movements and groups spring out from among the broadly defined "Protestants". In England we see the Baptists appear, who while superficially resembling the earlier Anabaptists in that they baptized only adult believers, actually emerged as a split from Anglican Calvinists who believed the English Church compromised too much with Catholicism. Likewise, there were the Puritans, who famously made a colony in Massachussets in what is modern day America, but are more famous for starting the English Civil War--they wanted a "pure" English Church that was more strongly Calvinistic.

But there were other English dissenting groups, like the Quakers, the Shakers; the Shakers aren't around anymore, but the Quakers are, they made a colony in America called Pennsylvania. Under people like Charles Wesley, some Anglicans wanted a more rigorous sense of personal holiness, and they became the Methodists.

In the United States alone, during the 19th century, a LOT of new religious groups emerged. The Millerites, named for a Baptist minister by the name of William Miller who predicted Jesus would return in the 1840's eventually became several different groups, the largest of these post-Millerite groups being the Seventh-Day Adventists. The Second Great Awakening, a major religious revival movement in the US of the 1800s resulted in the rise of the first generations of Evangelicals, who made personal conversion and revival experience a big part of their religious practice and identity. Then there were those who believed in even more personal holiness than John Wesley and the Methodists, and they became the various Holiness Churches, one of the largest of these still around is the Church of the Nazarene. From the Holiness Churches emerged the Pentecostal Churches, such as the Assemblies of God, after the Azuza Street Revival of 1906, that emphasized not only personal holiness as a second blessing, but that speaking in tongues was the principle sign of the Holy Spirit in the Christian life.

The Pentecostal groups would give rise to the Charismatic Movement of the mid 20th century, from which groups like Calvary Chapel and the VIneyard would arise. Neo-Evangelicalism emerged in the early-mid 20th century, one of the principle figures of the movement was Billy Graham. Neo-Evangelicalism didn't necessarily result in new denominations so much as it became a force within many established church organizations. But in modern times there are a number of what are called "non-denominttional churches" which are independent congregations which practice Neo-Evangelicalism (today just called Evangelicalism). Then there are also what are called Third Wave Charismatic churches, these tend to be the sorts of Pentecostal or Charismatic churches which place even more emphasis on supernatural healing and power, often they have people who call themselves apostles and prophets in their midst.

(cont in next post)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm not even scratching the surface here. Like I said, this is literally a subject that could fill multiple books.

6. How does Christianity address the existence of evil and suffering in the world, especially in the context of a loving and all-powerful God?

In one sense, there is no definitive great answer in a philosophical sense. But we acknowledge this: That because of human sin the world itself has become fallen, creation itself suffers because of sin and death. The devil is a tyrant who doesn't own the created world, but who rules over the present order which subjugates creation; and the reason God sent Christ was to save us, and redeem all creation, from this tyranny of sin and death and the devil.

Thus the problem of sin, evil, and suffering is addressed by the life, death, resurrection, and future return of Jesus.

7. How does prayer work in Christianity, and what is its significance in the life of a believer? Do Christians have the same concept as the 5 daily prayers?

Christianity inherited the idea of set times of prayer from Judaism. But it was never mandatory, but many Christians do try to follow a discipinary approach to prayer, what are known as Praying the Hours. More generally, Christianity emphasizes prayer as an ongoing fellowshiping with God. There is no universal rule for daily prayer, but we do believe in regular prayer; to pray as often as we can in the ways that we can. Because keeping ourselves open to God's will, and having our minds and hearts centered upon the things of God are deeply important. Many Christians use prayer aids, such as the Rosary in Catholicism, or prayer ropes in Orthodoxy. There are some common prayers which Christians pray regularly, the most important being the Lord's Prayer also known as the Our Father, which is the prayer Jesus personally taught which begins "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name". Other common and important prayers include the Gloria Patri, "Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen." The Jesus Prayer is another important one, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner".

Christian prayer can look a lot of ways. Some Christians only pray what are known as spontaneous prayer, which are personal prayers that are free-flowing. While other Christians mix traditional prayers and spontaneous prayer in different ways.

Among Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians, the Invocation of the Saints is practiced, which is, in essence, the asking of the saints who came before us, and even the angels, to pray for us (basically, requests for prayer, but often in a very formal way). A famous example of this is the Hail Mary prayer, "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women, and blessed is the Fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death."

The many different Protestants, for the most part, do not practice the Invocation of the Saints. Some Protestants believe that it amounts to praying to the saints, and thus is or could be idolatrous. While other Protestants simply don't do it because they don't believe that it is attested to in the Bible or the earliest Christian practice. Some Protestants, mostly Anglicans, but it's still a minority, do practice it to some extent.

Thus prayer can be very formal and very informal. It can be corporate, such as when we meet together for worship; and it can be very personal, as part of our personal devotions to God. It can be spoken out loud, and it can be internal--just in our thoughts and hearts. The Bible itself even speaks of a kind of prayer "in groanings too deep for words" where the Holy Spirit is our advocate, and even in these wordless prayers of grief and anguish God hears us, and cares for us.

8. How do Christians explain the theological significance of Jesus being referred to as the Son of God and its implications for their faith?

I get into that in the posts I linked to earlier about the Trinity.

But in brief: Jesus is the Son of God, meaning that He is God. He's not the Father, but He is of the Father. In the Divine Unity of God's Being there is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And Jesus is the Son, the One who uniquely knows God as "Father", and therefore when we are united to Him, through faith, by God's grace, we come to know God as our Father as well. In this way we are also God's children. Jesus, in that sense, becomes a kind of older Brother, we are adopted into God's House and Family, He is our Father, Jesus is our Lord and Brother. And, by grace, we are with Jesus, and share in Jesus' Sonship, as children. That isn't a full explanation, and all of that needs a lot more unpacking and explanation. But it means that Jesus is God, Jesus is our Brother, His Father is our Father, and what God has done for Jesus (raising from the dead) is what God is going to do for us as well--and in this is our entire life with God, our salvation, and our hope of the future world.

9. Why should I choose Christianity and not Islam? What makes Christianity true and completely debunks Islam?

I can't answer that for you. I believe in the truth of Christianity, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is hope, salvation, and eternal life for sinners. And it is objectively true. But I can't make you believe that. Belief is a complicated thing. And, according to my own religious and theological positions, ultimately it is only God who can create faith and open the heart to receive the truth of the Gospel. All I can do is testify to what I believe, and share in love and hope the reality to which I cling: That Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior of the world, and that what Who He is and what He has done is Good News for every person on this planet, that there is hope, salvation, and freedom found in this Jesus.

I generally don't care for trying to "convert" people, because I believe the Gospel itself is what converts--it's God's power and grace. And, generally, telling someone "Your religion is wrong, my religion is right, beleive what I believe" doesn't really make for a very pleasant or beneficial conversation.

I have had a sudden pull to Jesus and christ these last couple days, I am not sure if it is a sense of belonging or the holy spirit coming to me but I would really appreciate my questions being answered. Thank you for your time.

I believe that is a good thing. If you are open to it, I actually think the best approach at this point here would be to familiarize yourself with the Jesus Story as contained in the New Testament. There are Four Gospel texts, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They all tell different shades of the same story of Jesus from different angles and with different purposes. If you want to do that, what I usually recommend to people who ask "Where should I start reading the Bible?" I usually say start with Luke. There are a couple reasons why, it's pretty easy to read and follow along for one; and it also is the first part of a two-part work, the second part is known as the Acts of the Apostles, which is the 5th book of the New Testament. Basically where Luke ends, the Acts of the Apostles begins, written by the same author and addressed to the same person. So basically Luke is a good not just because it tells the Jesus story in a very straightforward way, what Jesus said and did, but also is a gateway to the rest of the New Testament.

Now, the point of me saying this isn't, "Please read my magic book" but rather I think if someone is interested in Christianity, even at just a broad level, reading what Jesus said and did is a good idea. Especially while talking to practicing Christians.

Most churches, from across different denominational lines, also (if they are good churches) tend to be pretty welcoming and inviting for guests to just come and visit and see what's going on. Now, that depends on a lot--because every congregation is going to be different with different kinds of people; and given current world events some people may not always be the friendliest and have the best Christian disposition--and that's very tragic, but I do think it's worth mentioning. So feel free, before even thinking about visiting a church, to do some looking around, and find some place that is, ideally, a good representation of Christian charity and kindness.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟174,664.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Nabeel Qureshi :Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: Third Edition with Bonus Content, New Reflections

Nabeel Qureshi comes from the Qureshi ethnic group of Muhammad.

1716456950074.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟264,865.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nor do other gods speak, see, hear, nor answer anyone's questions or prayers. Other gods can do nothing, and are unable to save anyone or to heal anyone.
Yet the One True God says in one place >
Oky people, you have your other gods. Keep on following them if you want to - and on the day of judgment, let your gods that you chose to follow save you from the lake of fire if they can . (of course they cannot do anything!)

You missed the point. The point is a God should make use of the most suitable way of conveying His truth to humans. Only the Christianity God made use of such a way, but no any other gods.

What is Truth;

Biden or Trump, who is more true?

1)
To the public, truth cannot be evidenced. So don't tell me that you have the evidence that Biden or Trump actually won the majority votes.

2)
Truth is broadcast by a government authorized mass media, you get the candidates of truth from here.

3)
Truth is broadcast in a US facing manner. So don't need to get truths from a family stationed radio located in a remote area. You can however choose to believe what is said by, say, CNN or Fox News as they both are broadcasting in a US-facing manner with all US citizens covered as their aimed-on audience.

Christianity or Islam, who is more true?

1)
To the public, truth cannot be evidenced.

2) Truth is broadcast by a God-authorized mass media. The Jews are authorized as "God's chosen people". Ancient Judaism is the legit mass media of God. Christianity is another authorized mass media, with the "bind and loose" declaration. Jesus authorized Church to be built on Him as the stone (though Peter the stone is used as an analogy). Islam fell apart from here.

3) Truth is broadcast in a human-facing manner if God has a message aiming on all humans. Judaism is only Jew-facing because they missed out Jesus. Only Christianity is made to be human-facing, with the explicit command that, the gospel (i.e., message of God) must be preached (i.e., broadcast by a mass media which is Christianity with its authority we call Church) to all nations (i.e., making it human-facing). Of course, Islam fell apart completely from this point. Not only Islam fell apart, but also all other religions (some said there are a million of them existed on earth). Only Christianity stands as a legit candidate of truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums