waiting for Jesus, my beautiful Savior, to return
Jun 14, 2004
Tennessee
✟16,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean this in all inocency.....Do you believe that Mary is God - and what is your basis on praying to her? Do you believe Jesus died on a cross and is our savior? Do you believe that you cannot talk directly to God? Is there anyway to get a free Catholic Bible. I am so interested.

Oh, one more question: What is the difference between the King James Version Bible and the Catholic Bible?

Sorry so many questions. I'm just kinda confused right now.

Do you believe that Mary is God
Mary is a human being, a creature, which means a created being. There is infinate distance between being a creature and being God. Short answer. She comes no where close to being God.

what is your basis on praying to her?
What does the Bible say the saints in heaven do when one person repents? Her like them are aware of what goes on down here. Hebrews calls them a "great cloud of witnesses." They are praying for us still. The aren't dead but more alive than when here on earth. We can ask them to intercede.

Do you believe Jesus died on a cross and is our savior?
Of course. Did you see The Passion of the Christ? It was made by a Catholic.
"As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)." -Catholic.com

Do you believe that you cannot talk directly to God?
Certainly. We can and do. We talk to all of the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Is there anyway to get a free Catholic Bible
The KJV Bible is very similar. The only difference really is that some books that had been considered part of the Sacred Scripture were removed in the 1500s and never made it back into the protestant bible. There are 7 Old Testament books that were affected.
Here are a couple that are online:
http://www.scriptours.com/bible/
http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/

Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Others may be able to answer your questions better. I am only just now converting from protestantism to Catholicism.

Reactions: Michelina
Upvote 0

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
Welcome to the Catholic area of ChristianForums. :wave:

Before I answer your various questions, please understand that my anger is not intended for you.

I THANK you for asking US about us. So many times,, people ask a non-Catholic about the Catholic Church, and that non-Catholic person gives a wrong answer. Thank you for asking us about us.

IloveJesusMyFather3:16 said:
I mean this in all inocency.....Do you believe that Mary is God - and what is your basis on praying to her?

Why do you think that we might believe that Mary is God? Did you see this in any official Catholic document, or more likely someone has filled your head with utter lies about the Catholic Church.
If I come across as angry, it is because I am angry: at those who utterly entirely continue to speard lies about the Catholic Church. Whoever told you this should ask forgiveness for bearing false witness.

No. We do not believe that Mary is God.

Our basis on praying to Mary is called the communion of saints.
The One Body of Christ, which consists of all believers, is concerned about the one Body. The foot cares about the hand and the knee cares about the elbow. No parts of the One Body are dead.
Some parts are alive in Christ before the very throne of God. These parts still are concerned for the parts that are not in heaven.

Honestly, tell me where you live and who has led you to believe anything else of the Catholic Church.
Have such persons ever looked at the "Catechism of the Catholic Church", which is free for all to see online, for example.
Have such persons ever attended a Catholic Mass, as spectators to hear the proclamation of the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Yes. We believe that Jesus died on the cross and is our Savior.

Moreso, we believe the entirety of the Nicene Creed; which per CF rules is the criteria to be considered a Christian.

We are Christians.Please spread this around. Catholics are Christians.

No. We do not believe that.

We believe and we do talk directly to God. We worship God.

Is there anyway to get a free Catholic Bible. I am so interested.

I don't know of where you can get a free one.

Oh, one more question: What is the difference between the King James Version Bible and the Catholic Bible?

The Catholic Bible is the complete Bible as determined by the CHurch, as early as A.D. 382, when She (the Church) listed the books that would be in the Canon of the Bible, listing the books from Genesis to Revelation.

The King James Bible of A.D. 1611, followed the canon as set forth of Martin Luther of the 1500's, moving some books to a third section of the book and mislabelling that section "apocrypha", then through the years, as the King james Bible was reprinted, that section of the King james Bible was dropped entirely, making the King James Bible that you and i have today, incomplete.

I'm just kinda confused right now.

I apologize if some of my answers may seem harsh. I want to scream sometimes.

Peace be with you, and ask us any questions about us that you may have.

I do recommend you ask in the main Catholic area. www.christainforums.com/f26,
as we are currently in a subforum, which is for the study of the "Catechism of the Catholic Church".

And I invite you to read the "Frequently Asked Questions" thread.
http://www.christianforums.com/t53299

Again, any questions about us, please do ask us. I'll be less "direct and blunt" in the future. :)

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Do you believe that Mary is God
No.

- and what is your basis on praying to her?
Same as our basis for asking any member of the Body of Christ to pray with and for us. Those who have gone on to their reward are part of the same Body of Christ when they were on Earth. We are all part of the same body.

Yes.

Yes, I can and do throughout the day.

Is there anyway to get a free Catholic Bible. I am so interested.
Well, you see, there's this guy down at the corner of 49th. and Vine.....

Unfortunately, I don't know where you can get a free one, but you can see one Catholic Edition on the US Bishops web site.

http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/index.htm

There's more than one Catholic Bible. The oldest is the Duoay-Rheims. It dates to the late 16th./early 17th. century and is very similar to the KJV. It's English has been updated a few times since then.

For ecclesiatical purposes the RSV-CE is the one approved by the Vatican. However, the NAB was approved for use at Mass in the US.

Another popular edition is the Jerusalem Bible, but I stay away from the Revised edition because of inclusive language.

There have been three Catholic editions of Protestant Bibles that have been approved for children: The Living Bible (otherwise known as The Way), CEV, and The Good News Bible.

Sorry so many questions. I'm just kinda confused right now.[/QUOTE]
No problem. Ask away.

Upvote 0

IloveJesusMyFather3:16

Jun 14, 2004
Tennessee
✟16,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think that we might believe that Mary is God? Did you see this in any official Catholic document, or more likely someone has filled your head with utter lies about the Catholic Church.

I have lived in Tennessee and Mississippi and I have always been told that the Catholic Church is (please don't get mad) based on all man-made traditions and not the bible and that they think they are going to get to heaven by Mary and not by God and that is why they pray to Mary and that they are only about rules and not the grace of God. I'm really glad I DID ask this question (out of bordom and confusion) because I have believed the wrong thing my whole life and always felt sorry for the "mislead" Catholics. Please don't get mad because of my ignorance. I've always been told that the Catholics act like perfect christians at church and behind the scenes - the priest molest the children, people are heavy drinkers, and such.......basically because they were lead by Satan and not God. They have said that either you are lead by God or Satan - and all this Budism, Hinduism, blah blah blah religions are really praying to Satan because God said THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD AND HE IS A JEALOUS GOD and I have always been told that the Catholics are in this same group. I have known three different ex-Catholics who said they were never really allowed to read the bible when they were a Catholic and the nuns were really strict and were real bi*ches and hit them with rulers and were all about rules and not the grace of God, and that it's the only church that doesn't give free bibles.....and it sounds AWFUL!!! It just really makes me wonder why someone who was an actual Catholic would say these things to me. It really makes my brain hurt.....especially because everything you have told me sounds opposite. You know....maybe this person was just involved with "religious" people who weren't practicing what they preached.....or maybe they didn't even preach it in the first place. I suppose there are fake christians in every denomination.

I'll be less "direct and blunt" in the future.
You're fine. I would be upset too if I belonged to a particular denomination and so many people were spreading lies about it. I just hope that the Catholics believe in the grace of God and not so much the rules and traditions.....sounds like they do.

It makes me feel really good to hear these answers and to know that you DO talk directly to God. It takes the pity and anxiety away and replaces it with joy!!!!!!!!!

I saw that you mentioned Martin Luther. Didn't he believe in demons and praying to make them go away (spiritual warfare) and such? Do Catholics agree with this? I guess since we have the same bible, they do.

God Bless you all!!!
Love you!!! :liturgy: tee hee hee Love and Peace ;)

Upvote 0
A

Archbishop 10-K

Didn't he believe in demons and praying to make them go away (spiritual warfare) and such? Do Catholics agree with this? I guess since we have the same bible, they do.

Yes. We also believe that some people may become possessed, just as described in the Gospels. If you've ever heard of the movie "The Exorcist", it's about a Catholic priest who exorcises, or drives demons out from people. It is a gift that was given to the Apostles by JEsus and passed down to today's priests through ordination.

Upvote 0
A

Archbishop 10-K

I have lived in Tennessee and Mississippi and I have always been told that the Catholic Church is (please don't get mad) based on all man-made traditions and not the bible...

I would not be surprised since, to my knowledge, that is part of the "Bible Belt", a region of America that is almost entirely made up of hardcore Protestant Christians. While they may be very good Christians, at least one of their shortcomings is their anti-Catholicism. It has gotten to the point sometimes to where Protestant church groups picket around Catholic churches to keep people from going to Mass.

Upvote 0

AdJesumPerMariam

To Jesus through Mary
Jan 26, 2004
At Home
Visit site
✟51,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am from Iowa, and now live in Tennessee. There are not as many Catholic Churches here, as up north. Also, as I am making my journey back home to the Catholic Church, you would think I grew horns and a tail! I have had so many 'friends' tell me I am joining a cult. I can't even explain to them what I have learned, because they will not listen. It is really sad.

Upvote 0

CCLMatthew

Aug 5, 2004
Wichita, Ks
✟141.00
Faith
Catholic
I have lived in Tennessee and Mississippi and I have always been told that the Catholic Church is (please don't get mad) based on all man-made traditions and not the bible and that they think they are going to get to heaven by Mary and not by God and that is why they pray to Mary and that they are only about rules and not the grace of God. I'm really glad I DID ask this question (out of bordom and confusion) because I have believed the wrong thing my whole life and always felt sorry for the "mislead" Catholics. Please don't get mad because of my ignorance. I've always been told that the Catholics act like perfect christians at church and behind the scenes - the priest molest the children, people are heavy drinkers, and such.......basically because they were lead by Satan and not God. They have said that either you are lead by God or Satan - and all this Budism, Hinduism, blah blah blah religions are really praying to Satan because God said THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD AND HE IS A JEALOUS GOD and I have always been told that the Catholics are in this same group. I have known three different ex-Catholics who said they were never really allowed to read the bible when they were a Catholic and the nuns were really strict and were real bi*ches and hit them with rulers and were all about rules and not the grace of God, and that it's the only church that doesn't give free bibles.....and it sounds AWFUL!!! It just really makes me wonder why someone who was an actual Catholic would say these things to me. It really makes my brain hurt.....especially because everything you have told me sounds opposite. You know....maybe this person was just involved with "religious" people who weren't practicing what they preached.....or maybe they didn't even preach it in the first place. I suppose there are fake christians in every denomination.
AAAAAAAHHHHH! Sorry, now that I got that out of my system I feel much better. One thing I have always found is that protestant Churches who believe anything always have an ex-catholic (poor uniformed authority), believe we are all poor in bondage fools and think we are unbiblical and do all kinds of what I (as a Catholic) would call silly or evil stuff.

Servant of God Fulton J Sheen stated that there are probably only a dozen people who hate the Catholic Church. The rest just hate it for what they think it is. I have found this to be very true. I have found maybe one person to argue against Catholicism that truly understands it. The rest come to understand it and convert.:amen:

Under the Mercy,
Matthew

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jun 14, 2004
Tennessee
✟16,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry if I upset you. I'd be upset too! Wow, what a Revelation!!!

I hate to sound stupid but what is the bible belt? ....and are they all Protestant churches? ....and what is Protestant churches? All I know is everytime I go to a church they seem to mess my head up...that is wy I only believe the bible. ha ha ha. I go to church but I certanly don't listen to everything they say; I have been pretty mest up by doing that before. ugh.

It has gotten to the point sometimes to where Protestant church groups picket around Catholic churches to keep people from going to Mass

Whoa!!! That is insane! I can't believe that!!!

:priest: -he he

Upvote 0

JJM

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
Northern Indiana
✟14,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The "Bible Belt" is a slang term used for a geographical region in the South and the midsection of the United States that has large groups of fundamentalist Christians

A protestant church is church that isn't Catholic or Orthodox becuase they Protest the authority of the Pope

Upvote 0

Jun 14, 2004
Tennessee
✟16,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Uhhh....... (from this Catholic posting: http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=9117733#post9117733)

What I belived is that if you realize that the Catholic church is the true church and you refuse to enter the church then you will go to hell because you know what Christ wants and you refuse to do it. thus you are regecting Jesus and let's face it that's why people Go to hell Because they reject Jesus. That doesn't mean that all people who aren't catholic go to hell.

I was understanding everything until this was said. Now I'm kinda weirded out. Hmmmm....... :eek:

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Uhhh....... (from this Catholic posting: http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=9117733#post9117733)

I was understanding everything until this was said. Now I'm kinda weirded out. Hmmmm....... :eek:
The Catholic Church believes it is the true church, and that all other churches are in error to varying degrees. They believe that people of these other Christian churches are still able to get to heaven, though. The quote you presented reflects that is someone knows the Catholic Church is the One True Church, but still rejects it, then they are in effect rejecting Christ Himself.

It is logical. For instance, if someone believed or "knew" that the Baptist church was the One True Church, yet still rejected it, woult that person not be rejecting Christ Himself, at least in their own mind?

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic

Hi IloveJesusMyFather3:16 !

Dan pretty much clarified it . . . you have to KNOW and knowingly reject the truth. You would have to turn your back on God.

4 years ago I started the process of converting form 30 years as a protestant to Catholicism. Many of the same "ideas" you have exressed had been filtered into my thinking about Catholicism . . .as you are learning, these "ideas" regarding Catholicism are simply myths.

If I can, I encourage you to continue asking us and seeking the truth . . it is quite amazing actually. :)

But just be prepared to encounter more things that will "wierd you out" until you understand what is meant. When you come from the perspective you have been taught to be true, there are things that you will discover about the Catholic faith that will cause you to have this kind of reaction . . simply because of the perspective you are viewing them from . .

It is much like standing outside of a Catholic Church in broad daylight looking at the stained glass windows . . they don't look very pretty, in fact they may look downright ugly, and very confusing as to what they are trying to depict . .. But come inside and look at them with the bright sunlight illuminating them, and their beauty shines forth and it is easy to see what they are trying to tell us.

The perspective you are coming from will color how you understand things like this . .. If I can make a suggestion, when you find yourself in this situation, put your reaction on the shelf, and what caused that reaction and come and talk to us about it . .. Once you have changed your perspective, it is like pieces of a puzzle falling into place.

As for a free Catholic bible .. I just recently saw a bunch of them . . but for the life of me I can't remember where! If I can locate them, I will let you know. :)

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
How can a church save you?? That's stupid. ...sorry. How are you rejecting Christ by not going to a certain church. Okay, that's it. I'm not coming back here anymore. Goodbye.
These nice people have been attempting to explain their position to you, and very politely, I might add. Whether you ever agree with them or not, just walking away is not conducive to learning. Not to mention, the manner in whjich you are doing it is extremely rude.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
How can a church save you?? That's stupid. ...sorry. How are you rejecting Christ by not going to a certain church. Okay, that's it. I'm not coming back here anymore. Goodbye.
Hi ILoveJesusMyFather3:16

I know this came up in 2 threads and you said you were not coming back . .. but I hope you do and I wanted you to consider something . .

It is very easy coming from a Protestant mindset to misunderstand the words a Catholic may use . .and what you hear is not the same thing intended by what was said . .

Consider this . . .are we saved individually or corporately?

What I mean by this is, are we saved together as part of the Body of Christ or by ourselves outside the Body of Christ?

Can we be saved if we are not part of the Body of Christ?

The Body of Christ is His Church . . Can anyone be saved if we are not a part of His Body, His Church?

Do you begin to see what we mean when we say the Church is necessary for salvation?

When it comes to those who are not FORMALLY a part of the Catholic Church, yet are part of the Body of Christ, we see them as being a part of the Catholic Church in an informal manner . . but we cannot look at someone and say they for sure are, even informally, a part of this Church for only God knows the heart, so we say that only God knows this. When one Formally joins themselves to the Catholic Church then we know they have become part of the Church.

Those who are formally a part of the Church are known to the Church . .. those who are informally a part of the Church are known to God; whether they see themselves as being part of the Catholic Church or is really immaterial . .

We hope and trust that those who claim the name of Christ outside of the Catholic Church truly do belong to Him . . but since we do not read hearts, we leave that for God to judge.

But the Body of Christ is just as important to ones salvation as the Head which is Christ . . . . The Church is necessary otherwise the Head would be bodiless and we would not be able to be joined to Christ who is the Head. :)

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2004
✟15,125.00
Faith
Baptist
I just want to point out in the last thread above I dunno if anyone will get this message casue I am unsure how forums actually work. U say That everyone has to be apart of the catholic church to be saved.
This is a disgraceful comment I believe. Can u please direct me in a normal bible were Jesus says "You must go to a "CATHOLIC" church to be saved.
I belive it says. "If you recieve chirst into your life and belive in him and repent ur sins u will trully be saved." Now I am sorry that isn;t word for word I am very interested in learning more about the catholics and catholic church but atfer that comment I do not know if I wanna here any more about u becasue U sound very condesending and seem to be condeming non-Catholic

Upvote 0

EllenMoran

Lord, I believe, help my unbelief
Mar 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
✟17,024.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
May I recommend that you read Therese's post again before deciding to walk away based on not having a full understanding of what was being said? She pretty clearly articulates the position that it isn't attending a Catholic church that delivers salvation -- and does it better than I could, which is why I am recommending a re-read of her post rather than restating it myself. Also, this post of Skripper's may be helpful for you. http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=1896665&postcount=94

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.