✟91,812.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
English Standard Version, Luke 7:

21 In that hour he healed many people of diseases and plagues and evil spirits, and on many who were blind he bestowed sight.
ἐχαρίσατο (echarisato) Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular Strong's 5483: (a) To show favor to, (b) To pardon, forgive, (c) To show kindness.

BDAG χαρίζομαι:
① to give freely as a favor, give graciously (a common term)
② to cancel a sum of money that is owed, cancel
③ to show oneself gracious by forgiving wrongdoing, forgive, pardon

Strong's Greek: 5483. χαρίζομαι (charizomai) — 23 Occurrences

Amplified Bible:

At that very hour Jesus healed many people of sicknesses and infirmities and evil spirits; and He gave [the gracious gift of] sight to many who were blind.
There was another Greek word for meaning #1. New International Version, Luke 1:

28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
English Standard Version:

And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!”
Strong's Greek: 5487. χαριτόω (charitoó) — 2 Occurrences

G5487 was not used as commonly as G5483. Both verbs had the prefix χαρί, meaning grace and favor.

BDAG χαριτόω:

to cause to be the the recipient of a benefit, bestow favor on, favor highly, bless.
Luke continued:

29 But she was greatly perplexed at what he said, and kept carefully considering what kind of greeting this was. 30 The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.
G5485 noun: χάρις, grace, favor.

With respect to the virgin birth, Mary was highly and uniquely favored by God.

G5487 also appeared in (NIV) Ephesians 1:

5 [God] predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious [δόξης] grace [χάριτος], which he has freely given [G5487] us in the One he loves.
Christians are G5487-highly-favored.

Was Mary highly favored (G5487) by God or just regularly favored (G5483)?

With respect to the virgin birth, God uniquely and highly favored (G5487) Mary. With respect to sonship adoption, predestined Christians are also highly favored (G5487).

• Winner
Reactions: Grip Docility

JoeT

Oct 5, 2020
Southern U.S.
✟108,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
English Standard Version, Luke 7:

ἐχαρίσατο (echarisato) Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular Strong's 5483: (a) To show favor to, (b) To pardon, forgive, (c) To show kindness.

BDAG χαρίζομαι:
① to give freely as a favor, give graciously (a common term)
② to cancel a sum of money that is owed, cancel
③ to show oneself gracious by forgiving wrongdoing, forgive, pardon

Strong's Greek: 5483. χαρίζομαι (charizomai) — 23 Occurrences

Amplified Bible:

There was another Greek word for meaning #1. New International Version, Luke 1:

English Standard Version:

Strong's Greek: 5487. χαριτόω (charitoó) — 2 Occurrences

G5487 was not used as commonly as G5483. Both verbs had the prefix χαρί, meaning grace and favor.

BDAG χαριτόω:

Luke continued:

G5485 noun: χάρις, grace, favor.

With respect to the virgin birth, Mary was highly and uniquely favored by God.

G5487 also appeared in (NIV) Ephesians 1:

Christians are G5487-highly-favored.

Was Mary highly favored (G5487) by God or just regularly favored (G5483)?

With respect to the virgin birth, God uniquely and highly favored (G5487) Mary. With respect to sonship adoption, predestined Christians are also highly favored (G5487).
A messenger from God, the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary, a small town country girl, greeting her like a noble woman, “Hail” with the word, “kecharitomene”. Mary is being identified as this thing, “kecharitomene” The Greek word is most often translated as “most favored or highly favored” and from the traditional Latin translation of “full of grace“or in Latin “gratia plena”. What it means however is the woman being hailed is “completely, perfectly, enduringly endowed with grace." [Blass and DeBrunner, A Greek Grammar of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature]. Gabriel continues asking Mary if she will miraculously conceive a child who becomes the King of Israel, the house of Jacob, and is the Son of God. We hear Mary accept, “Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to thy word." [Luke 1:38]. Later she meets with Elizabeth, a relative, exuberantly proclaimed, “My soul doth magnify the Lord." [Luke 1:46]. Thus Mary becomes the Ark of the New Covenant. A thing both literally and figuratively that is full of grace is without sin, has never sinned, and never would have sinned in her earthly and heavenly existence.

Kecharitomene, Full of grace:
Kecharitomene is the perfect passive participle (feminine) of charitoo, a late Hellenistic verb. Like other verbs ending in oo (such as thaumatoo, fill with wonder; spodoomai, burn to ashes; haimatoo, turn into blood ; karoo, plunge into deep sleep ; ommatoo, furnish with eyes ;’ it expresses the full intensity of an action. In this case the action—as any dictionary will reveal—is one of “favoring” or “gracing.” There is but one other instance of its use in the New Testament, in Eph. 1:6. The verse reads: eis epainon doxes tes charitos autou, hes echaritosen hemas en to egapemeno. Such a mode of expression is very emphatic and finds frequent parallels in St. Paul. A few examples are: “on account of His great love with which He has loved us,”(7) “of the calling with which you are called,”(8) “by means of the consolations with which we our-selves are consoled.”!° A possible translation of the Greek phrase above would be: “to the praise of the glory of His grace with which He has thoroughly graced us.”24 In other words, God is shown to have completely exhausted His favor and grace upon mankind through the redemption of His beloved Son.​
Divine favor is likewise expressed by charitoo in The Testament of The Twelve Patriarchs: “When I was in chains, the Savior showered His favor upon me and set me free (ho soter echaritose me en desmois, kai eluse me).”!* Again, we read in Hermes the Pastor: “The Lord then seeing their simplicity and entire child- liness made them abound in the labors of their hands, and thor- oughly favored them in all their undertakings (ho oun kurios idon ten aploteta auton kai pasan nepioteta eplethunen autous en tois kopois ton cheiron auton kai echaritosen autous en pase praxei auton).”(18) In these instances of the verb the emphasis is upon the exhaustiveness of the action. Charitoo seems to have been the best expression of God’s ineffable beneficence to man.​
With these preliminary observations we may logically deduce a general meaning for the word kecharitomene. Its reference is obvi- ously to a woman who has been thoroughly favored or graced by God. Michael J. Gruenthaner, S.J., in his article “Mary in the New Testament,” sums up the grammatico-etymological signifi- cance of the word very nicely: “It denotes one who has been and still is the object of divine benevolence, one who has been favored and continues to be favored by God, one who has been granted supernatural grace and remains in this state.’’(14)​
This is perfectly true. For the perfect passive participle of every Greek verb conveys the notion of having received something in the past and of possessing it now in a stable fashion. Thus, it is distinguished from the present passive participle which emphasizes the reception of some action hic et nunc. Now, these and like considerations lie behind most of the translations of the word as found in versions of the Bible made during the last few centuries. Translators have felt that as long as they suggest some idea of God’s favor to Mary and her possession of that favor at the time of the Annunciation, and as long as they include a certain intensity of that action, their renderings must be deemed legitimate.15 And with nothing more than syntax and a dictionary to go by we would have to admit that kecharitomene might mean as little as “one who has been especially favored by her destiny to be Mother of Christ.” Yes, this would be a possible interpretation, and we could have no quarrel with Protestants where they keep to this minimum. However, we have the best possible assurance that the word means more than this. I refer to the assurance that the usage of kechari-tomenos affords us. For, after all, it is usage that reveals to us all those subtle overtones of a word—overtones that a cold grammatico- etymological analysis can never hope to capture. It is the “life” of a word that tells us most about it. We must therefore inquire into that life.​
7 Ommatomenos, the perf. pas. part. of this verb, was employed by the poets to describe the Argus as “all-eyes.”​
8 The New Testament, op. cit., Eph 2, 4. Ibid., 4, 1.​
10 [bid., 2 Cor 1, 4.​
11 The Peshitto has: “. . . grace which He has poured out (Sephah) upon us.”​
12 The Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs, PG, II, 1125.​
14 Michael J. Gruenthaner, S.J., “Mary in the New Testament,” Mariology, edited by Juniper B. Carol, O.F.M. (Milwaukee: Bruce, 1954), I, 85.​
15 Certain English translations, however, appear to be wholly uninfluenced by these considerations, e.g., the Revised Standard Version, the translations of James Moffat, J. B. Phillips, Edgar J. Goodspeed, etc., obstinately hold to “favored one.” The Authorized King James Version reads, more honestly, “highly favored one.”​

Source: The American Ecclesiastical Review 1958-10: Vol 139 Iss 4 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

JoeT

Upvote 0

JoeT

Oct 5, 2020
Southern U.S.
✟108,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟91,812.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I gave to sources. See my post.

It is my understanding Blass and DeBrunner are Protestant Greek scholars.

JoeT
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing and quotation in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the relevant text.
  2. Selectively bold the particular keywords that are important to your point. There is no need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole paragraph.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it. I prefer to debate with people who do.

Upvote 0

JoeT

Oct 5, 2020
Southern U.S.
✟108,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing and quotation in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the relevant text.
  2. Selectively bold the particular keywords that are important to your point. There is no need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole paragraph.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it. I prefer to debate with people who do.
I wasn't writing a "scholarly" paper. I was writing to you. The analytical thinking was without flaw. I think the flaw lies in your camp being unable to respond.

I'm glad you debate with other people,

JoeT

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thus Mary becomes the Ark of the New Covenant. A thing both literally and figuratively that is full of grace is without sin, has never sinned, and never would have sinned in her earthly and heavenly existence.
So Mary did not need a redeemer?

Upvote 0

JoeT

Oct 5, 2020
Southern U.S.
✟108,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So Mary did not need a redeemer?
She did indeed need a redeemer. She receives the same grace of justification you do, except she receives it at her conception. She was protected from original sin and actual sin.

Upvote 0

JoeT

Oct 5, 2020
Southern U.S.
✟108,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have heard all women are to birth Jesus inside of them. Not sure how that works.
That's true to some extent. Just because a woman can give birth doesn't mean they are a New Eve.

The original justice accompanying Adam's and Eve's creation was a moral quality or habit that perfectly joined the will to an enlightened understanding of the will of God. It was a state of being. Adam and Eve possessed sanctifying grace with the beatific vision and other preternatural graces; they walked and talked to God in the Garden. Their graces inexplicably joined the cardinal virtues having rights to an honorable prudence, temperance, and fortitude in all moral acts. These gifts were inheritable, had Adam not sinned we would have enjoyed the same honors given to Adam.

Because of the fist sin we bear the inherited guilt and punishment in our birth because we are progeny of Adam and Eve. Prior to Adam’s rebellion, it could be said Adam and Eve 'abide' in God as we are invited to abide in Christ in the Eucharist after Baptism [Cf. John 6:57]. The punishment of original sin is not something put into us, or something that re-creates us into sin (some call sin nature), rather it is the withdrawal of God's original justice that once belonged to the patriarch of all men. It was something we would have rightly inherited as his progeny had it not been for Adam’s sin. Prior to the fall, Adam and Eve stood before God as a 'just'. The original man and woman was created with a soul that was perfectly joined to the intellect and perfectly united with the will of God. The deprivation of justice finds its origins in Adam’s and Eve's sin through his act of revolutionary disobedience; it is our heritage.

God chose to re-establish His relationship with man through Eve. This brings to light God’s plan for Mary’s immaculate conception, for you can't have a New Adam born of Woman without a New Eve. Mary is seen by all the Church as having never denied God her love. Her will is seen to be perfectly aligned to the will of God, also Christ says your will is to be perfect as our Father in heaven. [Cf. Matthew 5:48]. Mary never experienced this disorder being protected by grace; her love of God was perfected. Her perfection was a moral quality or habit that perfectly joined her will to an enlightened understanding of the will of God which inexplicably joined to the other Cardinal virtues; justice gives the rights to honorable prudence, temperance, and fortitude in moral acts.

JoeT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums