✟763.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bleech!

For what its woth, the PUC writing I found to be hysterical...now I admit to being an RC on my way out...a face to face to face confrontation with scripture will do that....and I'm not interested to hear from RC's telling me I missed the point (been there, done that already). I did the whole route...altar boy, RC education through college-seminary (history major), three years in a religious order, now happily married with three children. Anyhow, I loved the site (a bit high-brow maybe, but wickedly funny)...keep up the good work.

I'm a bit 'reformed' but I love you baptists!

Peace to all.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
braveheart.jpg
is not a member of the PUC.

braveheart.jpg
is a member of the Church of Venedictus!

Upvote 0

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
No, it does not suffice to say that when all you can do is post links or quote anothers works. This casts doubt on both your credentials and your ability to objectively present the faith which you malign.

First, I get in trouble for making up the PUC... now I'm in trouble for actually referring to the official doctrines of the RCC, which, by the way, teach that nobody can understand the bible or sufficiently explain the doctrines of the RCC outside of the Magisterium...

I didn't malign. I quoted. I also stated that the scripture states that God has no mother, therefore I am satisfied.

So which time are you wrong ?

- Jesus was not born of Mary the Theotokos or

- Jesus is not God

Mary is the mother of the man Jesus. As God He has no mother. Do you believe that God is man named David?

Jesus is the Son of God
Jesus is the Son of Man
Jesus is the Son of David

These are all correct, because Jesus has two natures.

An eternal God from everlasting, can have no mother. He is both "the root and the seed of David." He is said to someday "sit on the throne of His father David". Am I to believe that David is divine?

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
bleechers said:
Hey, Liz... thanks for not "attacking" me... and I'm still waiting for the apparent scores of examples you must have of me "twisting" anything.

You're welcome.

I don't plan to post scores of examples. The fact that you twisted what I said makes the complaints of my brothers and sisters credible, or at least plausible to me.

All I can do for you is quote from official doctrines. It should suffice to say, I've read the documents, I used to defend the documents... but the scriptures teach that God has no mother. So I'm satisfied that I was wrong all those years. :)

Do you believe in the Incarnation?

Do you believe Mary was Jesus' mother?

Do you believe in the deity of Jesus?

If you believe in the deity of Jesus and you believe Mary was Jesus' mother, then why would the title Mother of God be unbiblical?

This should be enough for Baptists to conclude that it is not compatible in any way with our theology... but I'll leave that up to the free consciences of the Baptists in the room.

but when you claim to know another person's thoughts

They claim to be Catholics... if they don't trust their infallible church on the doctrines of Mary, then why would they trust them on any other doctrine? I have made the sane and reasonable assumption that as Catholics, they actually believe what their church teaches as "infallible truth." Is that too much to expect?

Or is quoting their own infallible church "twisting" their doctrines?

You claimed to know mine, and what you said about my thoughts was pretty twisted.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mary is the mother of the man Jesus. As God He has no mother. Do you believe that God is man named David?

Jesus is the Son of God
Jesus is the Son of Man
Jesus is the Son of David

These are all correct, because Jesus has two natures.

What you are spouting or alluding to is rank heresy, that Mary gave birth to only the man Jesus and not also to Jesus who is God.

Upvote 0

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
Do you believe in the Incarnation?
Do you believe Mary was Jesus' mother?
Do you believe in the deity of Jesus?
If you believe in the deity of Jesus and you believe Mary was Jesus' mother, then why would the title Mother of God be unbiblical?

Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of David?

Then why should you conclude that David is not God (by your reasoning)?

Upvote 0

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
What you are spouting or alluding to is rank heresy, that Mary gave birth to only the man Jesus and not also to Jesus who is God.

Who's twisting here, Liz? How 'bout getting on him for twisting? Huh?... Liz?

Jesus had no body as eternal God and Son. A body was prepared for Him. Mary gave birth to that Body, but the deity was, is, and forever shall be separate from his humanity. He is fully God and fully man.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
bleechers said:
Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of David?

Huh?

Jesus is also the Son of Abraham.

Jesus is also the Son of Mary.

I am not saying David or Abraham or Mary is divine, only that Jesus is divine and Jesus is son of each of them.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
bleechers said:
"Worship" is how we define it. You bow down and ask Mary things that only God can do. You assign her the powers of deity (omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence) and call her Co-Redeemer, thus giving her glory that is due God alone. Hense, by Baptist theology, you "worship" her.
So, you get to define worship for us?

You get to define worship for everyone else? Worship is what, and only what, you say it is for 6 billion people?

You and you alone are the only one who has the right to define worship for the rest of the world?

I don't think so. . .

And you do not have the right to define it contrary to the rules of CF . .

You have chosen to be part of the Christian community here at CF . . and that included how to use the word "Worship" and how NOT to use it . .

Your definition of worship has no bearing on us or what we do . .

For your purusal here is the Webster's 1913 dictionary definition of "worship" - the closest thing to your definition is 4th on the list. These definitions take into the distinctions made by Catholics between Latria (worship to God alone) and Dulia - the proper veneration given to people and objects
Definition: \Wor"ship\, n. [OE. worshipe, wur[eth]scipe, AS.

weor[eth]scipe; weor[eth] worth + -scipe -ship. See {Worth},
a., and {-ship}.]
1. Excellence of character; dignity; worth; worthiness.
[Obs.] --Shak.
A man of worship and honour. --Chaucer.
Elfin, born of noble state, And muckle worship in
his native land. --Spenser.
2. Honor; respect; civil deference. [Obs.]
Of which great worth and worship may be won.
--Spenser.
Then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them
that sit at meat with thee. --Luke xiv.
3. Hence, a title of honor, used in addresses to certain
magistrates and others of rank or station.
My father desires your worships' company. --Shak.
4. The act of paying divine honors to the Supreme Being;
religious reverence and homage; adoration, or acts of
reverence, paid to God, or a being viewed as God. ``God
with idols in their worship joined.'' --Milton.
The worship of God is an eminent part of religion,
and prayer is a chief part of religious worship.
--Tillotson.
5. Obsequious or submissive respect; extravagant admiration;
adoration.
'T is your inky brows, your black silk hair, Your
bugle eyeballs, nor your cheek of cream, That can my
spirits to your worship. --Shak.
6. An object of worship.
In attitude and aspect formed to be At once the
artist's worship and despair. --Longfellow

Since we do not view Mary as God or a being in place of God, ascribing to her no divinity whatsoever, we are not worshipping her according to your definition, or that of #4 above.

We are however, giving her what is contained in the first 3 definitions.

Why do you equate "pointing to official doctrines" akin to "bashing"? Is it "bashing" Mormons to say that they are not Trinitarians?
I will try again to explain sinc you have asked.

You are not merely pointing to official doctrines .. you are taking them out of context and misrepresenting them.

You are not misrepresenting mormos by saying they are not Trinitarians for they do not claim to be and do not teach it, and they would agree with you.

Ah, yes, the double-talk. Thanks for pointing this out. I have an article about this type of argumentation. It's the "salvation by ignorance through sincerity" argument that most any Baptist would reject. Well, if they don't "know" the way, then it's best not to tell them so then they can't reject it, right?
well, since you asked . . you confuse "know" with 'know about' . . they are not the same. You can know about something, that does not mean you really know it to be true. . .

Definitions are very important, and it is not double talk to insist on an accurate defintion . .

Call home your missionaries. It's better for Muslims to attain alvation in ignorance rather than risk them understanding the way of the RCC and rejecting it. This is the "complexity" that is designed to confuse.
This is again your complete misrepresentation of what the Church teaches . .

There is nothing complex about this, only in your own perceptions . . .

Do you believe that if someone has never heard the Gospel, they are going to Hell?

I didn't get the exact quote, but here is the section from Lumen Gentium from a RC source (translation) Sorry, but I'm gonna bold to help make the connection:

Lumen Gentium # 16:​

But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind... [ed note: the Muslim god is a false god!]

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience--those too many achieve eternal salvation. Nor shall divine providence deny the assistance necessary for salvation to those who, without any fault of theirs, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God, and who, not without grace, strive to lead a good life.

Now any Baptist can see that this is incompatible with our salvation doctrines. Essentially this small part of a very complex document teaches that "salvation [is] acheived" because grace is administered via the Catholic Church in some mystical way to help "sincere" people ("first among whom are the Moslems") to "strive to lead a good life."
Of course that is incompatible with YOUR salvation doctrines as you understand those words above, and how you understand the place of good works DONE IN GRACE has in salvation. That is a matter for debate in another forum, such as GT . . why don't you start a thread there and we can discuss it more freely.

Needless to say, James does tell us that our faith is dead, like a dead, lifeless body, without good works . . so, without arguing with you on the matter of our respective doctrines, I am merely wishing to point out a few things.

We do not believe we, or anyone else, can work our way to heaven. We do not believe we earn our way to heaven through works of the flesh.

You are misusing Church documents to try to make them say something they do not . .

Since nobody can know whether he or she is actaully "saved" then the church can neither tell whether anybody has truly rejected anything, etc. I ran with this argument as a RC apologist... Never mind the "necessity" of Baptism, sacraments either... then it really starts to get complicated.
It is very clear to me that you do not understand the Church's teaching on salvation . . I can most certainly know if I am saved . . where did you ever get that idea?

It is very simple . . am I in a state of Divine Sanctifying Grace ? Remember, I told you, all the pieces of the puzzle fit together to make one picture .. and the picture is the utmost in simplicity . . your misrepresentations of our faith have made it seem complex . .. but that is simply a matter of smoke and mirrors . .

It is ALL about GRACE.

In all this, I am not debating with you whether or not our doctrines are right or yours are wrong. .

I am simply pointing out the many ways you continually misrepresent our faith to our brehtern outside of our Church.

All Baptists need to know is that the RCC teaches that nobody can ever know...
I don't think anyone needs to know a myth about the Catholic Church, and what you have stated as fact is indeed a myth . .

that indulgences are propitiatory and that knowledge of salvation condemned with anthema...
You really think indulgences have anything to do with forgivness of sins?

"knowledge of salvation condemned with anathema" ??? :scratch:

You got me there .. now you are so far off base that I can't make heads or tails of what you are alluding to ..

that Mary is Co-Redeemer and necessary for salvation (she is "the cause of salvation"...), etc., etc.
And etc, etc, etc .. again, misrepresenting our faith . . Was not Mary necessary for Jesus' birth? Could salvation have come into the world if she had said no? Would God have forced her to have Jesus, or if He could not have found anyone else to say "yes", would He have forced someone else to have Jesus?

Do you see how, in trying to make it look like we say Mary somehow takes Jesus' place, you are twisting the teaching of the Church.

Mary was necessary for our salvation IN THE SENSE THAT Jesus needed to be conceived of, and be born of, a virgin, and Mary was that virgin. God's plan of salvation called for this necessity . .

Are you suggesting that a virgin birth for Jesus was not necessary?

Are you asserting that a virgin was not necessary for our salvation to come into the world?

You have indeed twisted the teaching of the Church . why you are doing this, I don't know .. but it is obvious that either

1) you never understood the teachings of the Church to begin with and led many astray within the Catholic Church while you taught others the faith, for if you did not understand it, you passed on your wroing understandings of it to others .. an unfortunately common situation in the last half of the last century, which I find understandable

2) you really do understand the Cahtolic faith and are purposefully misrepresenting it, which I would find deplorable . .

I will give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

You can do what Rome has done and turn that into libraries of complex documents, but you can only go so far before the incompatibility with Baptist theology is evident.
Oh I have no disagreement with you there . . there is definite incompatbility in some areas between Catholic and Baptist theology . .that is not what I am having an issue with.

It is your continued misrepresentation of Catholicism I am having an issue with.

If you are going to point out incompatibilities between the two, at least let them be honest incompatibilities, not made up ones.

Lumen Gentium
He Himself affirmed the necessity of faith and baptism and thereby affirmed also the necessity of the Church, for through baptism as through a door men enter the Church. Whosoever, therefore, knowing that the Catholic Church was made necessary by Christ, would refuse to enter or to remain in it, could not be saved.

While we're mentioning the Canon of Scripture...Baptists might note from the Council of Trent:
LOLOL

Do you have any idea what an anathema is, and who it does or does not pertain to?

It only pertains to those within the Catholic Church . not to those outside of it. The Anathema's you quote above pertain to Catholics . . not to Baptists . :)

And that just scratches the surface.
I hope we have more than scratched the surface of your misrepresntations of our faith.

This is not the place for double-talk. I hesitated to post all these in the many, many posts I have written to this point. They are posted for Baptists to consider.
I hope that enough has been posted for your fellow baptists to question what they are being told in your posts, and to come to OBOB to ask questoins if they want to know what we really believe.

I used to explain these away before God had mercy on me and saved me.
Dear, you had a conversion experience, just as I did. You left the Church, just as I did the Orthodox Church and ended up being a Protestant deep in the bible and Protestant indoctrination from which I learned many, many precious things about God, including from Baptists (:hug: to you all.), and grew greatly and deeply in my relationship with Him and in the word, for which I am eternally grateful.

After 30+ years, God has led me back to the fulness of faith in the Catholic Church. I have deeply and intensely examined the clams you make about the Catholic faith .. they are all groundless misrepresentations of what we believe. Do you really think I could become Catholic if what you assert is true? Absolutely not!!

I am not here to argue about whose doctrines are right ..

I am though, telling you that you are wrong about OUR faith . .

Please note a "half tuth" that I have posted to this point before making such an accusation.
I have already noted many . .

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Aside from the fact that your analogy is a non-sequiter ...

Because son (not Son BTW) of David is refering to the Patriarchial lineage and not paternity.

You still have not provided any independent writings on RC Mariology or specifics on your previous Church membership ....

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
bleechers said:

Jesus had no body as eternal God and Son. A body was prepared for Him. Mary gave birth to that Body, but the deity was, is, and forever shall be separate from his humanity. He is fully God and fully man.
He's quoting you smarty.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
bleechers said:

Twisting?

Before Oblio posted I was going to ask you whether all Baptists are Nestorians, but thought better of it. I guess now you've forced me to ask it.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
bleechers said:

Fully incorrect, except the last sentence which conflicts with the rest.

Jesus had a temporal Incarnation.

Do you really believe that His Deity is separate from His humanity ?
When did He receive His Deity if He did not have it when He was born ?

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Oblio said:
Aside from the fact that your analogy is a non-sequiter ...

Because son (not Son BTW) of David is refering to the Patriarchial lineage and not paternity.
:confused:

I was trying to figure out the correct capitalization, but just decided to capitalize them all. I believe Son of David and Son of Man are titles, and therefore proper to capitalize. Son of Mary and son of Abraham probably should not be capitalized unless they come at the beginning of a sentence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
bleechers said:
I didn't malign. I quoted. I also stated that the scripture states that God has no mother, therefore I am satisfied.

Really ?

bleechers said:
The page is aimed at Christians who REFUSE to bring people to Christ. The point is that there are Baptists and other Evangelicals who refuse to recognize the doctrines of Rome that are deceiving hundreds of millions. But I can't get a conversation started on BRINGING THEM TO CHRIST because most Evangelicals won't talk about Catholic doctrines... so I created a Church I ask them to look over the doctrines of the PUC and see if these doctrines are worth contending against... are they?

You must have a different definition of malign than most people.

Upvote 0

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
Twisting?

According to your rules, I don't have to actually quote anything to accuse anyone of twisting... I just have to say that that is what they are doing.

Jesus had a temporal Incarnation.

So... is David God or not?

Do you really believe that His Deity is separate from His humanity ?
When did He receive His Deity if He did not have it when He was born ?

Great is the mystery of Godliness that God was manifest in the flesh.

Do you deny that God is eternal? Is not Jesus eternally the Son? He had no mother as God. How can He be both the Son of God and the Son of David if He does not have two natures?

I'd quote Matthew 12 here, but I suspect what answer I'd get. ;) Been there. Done that.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Crazy Liz said:
:confused:

I was trying to figure out the correct capitalization, but just decided to capitalize them all. I believe Son of David and Son of Man are titles, and therefore proper to capitalize. Son of Mary and son of Abraham probably should not be capitalized unless they come at the beginning of a sentence.

You may be right Liz. I always thought the cap was because of Son of God, but what you said makes sense.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.