Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, my question: For those who don't have a problem with the extensive use of profanity in film, would it be a distraction for you to watch a film that didn't have profanity in it?

I'ld have to say that it depends on how it is used, contextually.

Kind of like the difference between "functional nudity" and "more people will want to watch it cause Megan Fox goes naked".

I don't mind functional profanity at all. In fact, I miss it if it isn't there. To the point even were I usually lose interest in the film or series. Because at that point, I feel it loses credibility.

For example, if we have a scene with a stereotypical "couple of brothers in da hood", it just wouldn't be credible acting if they didn't use the f-word every other sentence. It just isn't right, contextually, if they would use goodie-goodie english.

In the real world, they use dialects, slang, etc.

I just get bored, and irritated, watching films where "common folk" use "school language".

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'ld have to say that it depends on how it is used, contextually.

Kind of like the difference between "functional nudity" and "more people will want to watch it cause Megan Fox goes naked".

I don't mind functional profanity at all. In fact, I miss it if it isn't there. To the point even were I usually lose interest in the film or series. Because at that point, I feel it loses credibility.

For example, if we have a scene with a stereotypical "couple of brothers in da hood", it just wouldn't be credible acting if they didn't use the f-word every other sentence. It just isn't right, contextually, if they would use goodie-goodie english.

In the real world, they use dialects, slang, etc.

I just get bored, and irritated, watching films where "common folk" use "school language".

Agreed, there's a time and a place for it.

It would be a distraction if there was swearing in a Disney movie, however it would be an equal distraction if there was no swearing in a crime movie. Can you imagine Tony Soprano saying "gosh darn it" when something goes wrong? It would ruin the scene.

Upvote 0