Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I just associate frequent use of profanity with low education, low intellectual ability, or being mentally disturbed. But I'm not that moralistic about it, and I love watching all kinds of movies.

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
When I'm watching a film and someone utters a profanity, it's often only the first use that offends/frustrates me. As the story continues and the profanities mount, my attitude descends to boredom & distraction. It would be the same to me if, rather than spouting profanity, they dangled a plastic duck from a string in front of the characters every few minutes.

To me it demonstrates a pathetic lack of creativity, and I stop following the story and start thinking of all the interesting ways the character could have conveyed the proper attitude without a tedious repetition of profanity.

So, my question: For those who don't have a problem with the extensive use of profanity in film, would it be a distraction for you to watch a film that didn't have profanity in it?

To me profanity is normal, those are the words I use, words like "hot dangit" "darn it!" "shoot!" "golygee!" seem strange to me.

As far as you being offended goes, it likely has something to do with it no longer being surprising to you. It's the same reason we laugh, things are funny because were surprised, that's why we find something humorous.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to be an average profanity user, and on occasion it slips out now, but not often. It doesn't have to be on film for me to enjoy the film but as long as it's not way overused, I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bath water and not watch.

When it's way over used, and the movie isn't very good, I suppose I can see myself not watching it. At the same time if it's what I consider overloaded with profanity and the movie is good, I will. As someone mentioned, it depends.

I guess a ton of profanity could indicate lack of creativity, much like I'm certain some flicks that have way too much sex/nudity as filler is used to sell the lousy, non-creative movie.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Another thought. Given:
1) Profanity is meant to express a profane thought, and
2) It is therefore expected some people will be offended, and
3) One style of film is to show realism

Should film portray people who are offended by profanity? I don't know that I've ever seen that.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another thought. Given:

Should film portray people who are offended by profanity? I don't know that I've ever seen that.

I think film has portrayed countless scenarios. All depends what story the director is trying to tell.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟889,182.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I feel that this thread is a thinly veiled ploy to psychoanalyse people.

Your comment indicates you suffer from a deep-seated Oedipus complex. Here, lie down. Tell me what you see in this: (I don't want to influence the test, but if you see your personal favorite News and Current Events topic, you are a very sick man.)

1975090057-Rorschach-041.jpg
Another thought. Given:

Good luck with that from Hollywood. I think you only see it portrayed one of two ways - like goody-two-shoes Ned Flanders from the Simpsons, or the Christian hypocrite who is publicly offended by bad words but is really a serial killer.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟889,182.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I remembered this bit of commentary circa 1973.

"Whatever happened to Randolph Scott has happened to the best of me" is an interesting line. What is "the best of me"? His better nature, his good values, his orthodox thinking. What happened to them? They became passé, cliché, outdated and boring like Scott. And the changing continues on today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I just associate frequent use of profanity with low education, low intellectual ability, or being mentally disturbed. But I'm not that moralistic about it, and I love watching all kinds of movies.

That's not actually true, plenty of well educated and intelligent people use profanity as well.

They're likely smart enough to understand that they're just words.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟889,182.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's not actually true, plenty of well educated and intelligent people use profanity as well.

They're likely smart enough to understand that they're just words.
That doesn't speak well of the well educated and intelligent people. I think the good people don't use it.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That doesn't speak well of the well educated and intelligent people. I think the good people don't use it.

Nonsense, some of the brightest and most educated people I know swear all the time.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I didn't say they didn't. Maybe one of them could explain my post to you.

I understand what you meant, I don't see how it doesn't speak well of them. If they are educated accomplished professionals, would you actually look down on them for dropping an "F bomb" if something goes wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The idea that Profanity makes you un-intelligent is absurd and the idea that it makes you not good is silly too. Having strong feelings isn't bad or immoral or unreasonable, expressing those feelings is entirely fine.

Darn, Dang, Shoot, Goly, Gee Willakers!, are all the same thing as profanity.... sounds are not immoral, it is what you are intending to express that reveals if you have a sentiment that might be evil or inconsiderate. Most profanity is used to express that a person is hurt or angry about something and not their desire to do bad things.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Exactly, DeanW. The s-bomb, poop, caca, and feces all have the same referent. Why is only one combination of sounds censored? It's nonsensical.

I would have expected you could appreciate the difference. First, in some circles many of those "milder" words are considered inappropriate. Second, in circles where they are commonly used, they lose their force and indeed people are no longer offended when they hear them. Hence the constant invention of new slang.

Regardless, different words carry different connotations. Maybe the profanities for sex are easiest to understand, where some words indicate a clinical discussion of the topic, others a romantic exchange, and yet others an aggressive and abusive act. For the words you suggested, again, some indicate clinical discussion, while others indicate contamination, defiling, or humiliation.

I would assume most who share in the human experience are familiar with those distinctions. [edit] And I should add that I would hope most are in favor of discouraging the negative activities associated with those words.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This message board has a Christians Only section. Go there. Stay there.

While it is true that there are sub-forums designated as "Christian Only", this forum in its entirety is called ChristianForums.com. As I understand it, it is meant to be an outreach, a place where those who are not Christian can come and explore the Christian faith, ask questions and enter into a respectful dialogue.

Unfortunately I get the feeling that many here are not interested in respectfully asking Christians what they believe about certain things, rather it seems that for some this is a game, a place to confront Christians and tear down their beliefs. At least this is what I personally have encountered on this site.

It makes no sense to tell a Christian to stay in the "Christian Only" section. If you don't want to encounter Christian viewpoints, why did you even search for and sign up to a Christian Forum? I'm sure there are plenty of secular forums where these same topics can be discussed.

The Christian faith is not a game for most of us here, it is everything to us. Speaking for myself personally, I am more than willing to discuss things with non-Christians, but what I am not interested in doing is playing games or being told that Christians should basically keep their beliefs to themselves and stay in certain sub-forums of a site that is meant to be a place where Christians can openly discuss their faith with those who honestly have concerns or questions.

I haven't gone and signed up for Atheist forums just to confront Atheists and insult their beliefs, I fail to see the point in doing such things. If someone has already made up their mind about the Christian faith and they have no desire to hear from Christians, then it makes no sense to search out a Christian forum. This is a Christian forum and so obviously there will be Christians posting here.

I think the games need to stop. That way we can all stay on topic and be respectful, and everyone will be able to share their thoughts and perspectives without being insulted.

• Winner
Reactions: Tony Ramirez
Upvote 0