Planet Fitness sees $400 MILLION wiped off value just five days after banning member who exposed 'trans woman' shaving in the female locker room

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What she posted is included in the article: "Good day I just wanted to say I just came out of Planet Fitness. And there is a man shaving in a woman's bathroom. I realize he wants to be a woman. He gets to be a woman. I love him in Christ. He's a spiritual being having a human experience. He doesn't like his gender. So he wants to be a woman. But I'm not comfortable with him shaving in my bathroom. All right, I just thought I'd say out loud."

That without a photo is fine. Libs of TikTok shared it, which has a large following. She posted a second post after termination in which she called him a "pedo" - not just a man. That is not fine.

That's something the Right wing in the US seriously needs to get away from... Despite the fact that I agree with some of the concerns the US-Right has with some of the Trans issues, the approach of "lets label anyone/everyone who deviates from our definitions of gender/sexuality as someone who wants to sexually prey on children" is a terrible approach.

A) It's not accurate
B) It has the potential to create a "cried wolf" situation down the road in which, if some group does come along advocating for such things, nobody's going to take the critique seriously because the people decrying that are going to be a lot of the same people who've been lobbing that accusation out about literally everything willy nilly.

It wasn't all that long ago that people (of the same ilk) were trying to create a link between homosexuality and pedophilia (and lost a lot of credibility in the process). The US-Right would do itself a service and try to distance themselves from that way of thinking sooner than later.

People need to consider the "long game" in some of this stuff. Bolstering their sides numbers in the short term by bringing a bunch of idiots into the fold who will vote their way in the next election cycle and pandering to them isn't a good long term strategy.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟221,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's something the Right wing in the US seriously needs to get away from... Despite the fact that I agree with some of the concerns the US-Right has with some of the Trans issues, the approach of "lets label anyone/everyone who deviates from our definitions of gender/sexuality as someone who wants to sexually prey on children" is a terrible approach.
Demonizing those who disagree with you is a terrible approach. Allowing biological men in women's locker rooms is going to cause problems. Previous generations understood this, wokeness abandons common sense (conservatism.) As to kids, it was well accepted that gogo dancers and such shows were not good for children, yet wokeness accepts drag queen shows for little children. Acceptance is one thing, pushing your life styles on children is another--Target and Bud Lite and Disney have learned this.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Demonizing those who disagree with you is a terrible approach. Allowing biological men in women's locker rooms is going to cause problems. Previous generations understood this, wokeness abandons common sense (conservatism.) As to kids, it was well accepted that gogo dancers and such shows were not good for children, yet wokeness accepts drag queen shows for little children. Acceptance is one thing, pushing your life styles on children is another--Target and Bud Lite and Disney have learned this.
I would agree that it's going to cause problems, however, as a society, there has to be a consensus haggled over to determine what level of individual freedoms are going to respected regardless of what kind of problems it may cause.

For instance, in the south, one could've easily said 'that's gonna cause problems' by removing Jim Crow laws (among the people who liked that status quo).

I'm not comparing the two situations, just highlighting that changes can't just be shot down simply on the grounds of "the people who don't like those proposed changes may get angry".

There's different tiers of demonization. There's the regular trash-talking "the left is too woke"/"the right is too narrow mined"/etc... And then there's the kind of demonization that implies something really nasty about a specific group of people. Immediately defaulting to "anyone who doesn't adhere to traditional gender norms in a hetero relationship just wants to prey on children" is a particularly nasty form of demonization that goes above and beyond the normal "political trash talking".

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would agree that it's going to cause problems, however, as a society, there has to be a consensus haggled over to determine what level of individual freedoms are going to respected regardless of what kind of problems it may cause.

For instance, in the south, one could've easily said 'that's gonna cause problems' by removing Jim Crow laws (among the people who liked that status quo).

I'm not comparing the two situations, just highlighting that changes can't just be shot down simply on the grounds of "the people who don't like those proposed changes may get angry".

There's different tiers of demonization. There's the regular trash-talking "the left is too woke"/"the right is too narrow mined"/etc... And then there's the kind of demonization that implies something really nasty about a specific group of people. Immediately defaulting to "anyone who doesn't adhere to traditional gender norms in a hetero relationship just wants to prey on children" is a particularly nasty form of demonization that goes above and beyond the normal "political trash talking".
When they sing songs and make videos saying they’ll convert our children and we won’t even know and marching chanting “We’re here we’re queer and we’re coming for your children “ and have Drag Queens story hour it doesn’t help.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Demonizing those who disagree with you is a terrible approach.

Lol, I’ll remember that next time you post a thread full of nonsense that tries to make Dems look bad.

Allowing biological men in women's locker rooms is going to cause problems. Previous generations understood this, wokeness abandons common sense (conservatism.) As to kids, it was well accepted that gogo dancers and such shows were not good for children, yet wokeness accepts drag queen shows for little children. Acceptance is one thing, pushing your life styles on children is another--Target and Bud Lite and Disney have learned this.
Bud Lite was targeting children? If that was the case, why was your beef with the trans person and not the megacorp enticing kids into underage drinking?

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol, I’ll remember that next time you post a thread full of nonsense that tries to make Dems look bad.

Bud Lite was targeting children? If that was the case, why was your beef with the trans person and not the megacorp enticing kids into underage drinking?
I was enticed to underage drinking but advertising had nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When they sing songs and make videos saying they’ll convert our children and we won’t even know and marching chanting “We’re here we’re queer and we’re coming for your children “ and have Drag Queens story hour it doesn’t help.
If you're referring to the song I think you're referring to... it was meant to be a satirical/ironic troll by parodying the caricature.
(similar style humor that Trey Parker uses in his goofy songs)

While I've made my issues known with Drag Queen Story Hour...there's a big leap between that and "they must be a child predator"

My issues are mainly because drag was intended to be an adult form of entertainment (like burlesque or dirty stand up comedy), combined with the actual books themselves that were on the reading list for many of those events.

But if a burlesque performer or Dave Chappelle did a story hour that combined certain parts of the act their known for with reading...while I'd say "hey, that's probably not an appropriate thing for 4th graders", I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusion that their "diddlers"

With the exception of a few extreme outlier that people tend to appeal to, the DQSH stuff isn't really even a true "drag show", it's just a guy (dressed like a housewife from a far side cartoon) reading books... they remove the song/dance and dirty jokes part of the performance.

So really what a lot of the people are upset about is "It's a guy wearing women's clothing".

Had they not specifically chosen some of the books they chose and just picked more normal childrens books, there's a chance I might not have much of an objection to it all in many of the cases.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟261,215.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When they sing songs and make videos saying they’ll convert our children...
And then have people in this very forum declaring that some of the choir were paedophiles with criminal records. Which was proved to be complete and utter junk.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're referring to the song I think you're referring to... it was meant to be a satirical/ironic troll by parodying the caricature.
(similar style humor that Trey Parker uses in his goofy songs)

While I've made my issues known with Drag Queen Story Hour...there's a big leap between that and "they must be a child predator"

My issues are mainly because drag was intended to be an adult form of entertainment (like burlesque or dirty stand up comedy), combined with the actual books themselves that were on the reading list for many of those events.

But if a burlesque performer or Dave Chappelle did a story hour that combined certain parts of the act their known for with reading...while I'd say "hey, that's probably not an appropriate thing for 4th graders", I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusion that their "diddlers"

With the exception of a few extreme outlier that people tend to appeal to, the DQSH stuff isn't really even a true "drag show", it's just a guy (dressed like a housewife from a far side cartoon) reading books... they remove the song/dance and dirty jokes part of the performance.

So really what a lot of the people are upset about is "It's a guy wearing women's clothing".

Had they not specifically chosen some of the books they chose and just picked more normal childrens books, there's a chance I might not have much of an objection to it all in many of the cases.
“If you're referring to the song I think you're referring to... it was meant to be a satirical/ironic troll by parodying the caricature.”
It’s not something to joke about. Especially when you have schools allowing students to transition and hiding it from their parents

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟261,215.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
“If you're referring to the song I think you're referring to... it was meant to be a satirical/ironic troll by parodying the caricature.”
It’s not something to joke about. Especially when you have schools allowing students to transition and hiding it from their parents
That type of humour is rarely funny to the people it's actually parodying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To the OP: IME, any time a conservative tries to draw a causal relationship between corporate wokeness and share prices, it’s safe to assume that they’re full of it. This case is no different. Planet Fitness’ stock has been performing poorly for a long time. The drop cited in the OP is a perfectly ordinary fluctuation for them.

IMG_9736.jpeg

Zoom out to 5 years and it’s even worse.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To the OP: IME, any time a conservative tries to draw a causal relationship between corporate wokeness and share prices, it’s safe to assume that they’re full of it. This case is no different. Planet Fitness’ stock has been performing poorly for a long time. The drop cited in the OP is a perfectly ordinary fluctuation for them.

View attachment 344534

Zoom out to 5 years and it’s even worse.
Memberships are $10 a month. I don’t see how they make it

• Agree
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟177,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Gays know they can't convert you children. Being gay themselves they know that's not how "gay" works. But they also know that other people think they can, so they taunt them. I think that's cruel.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gays know they can't convert you children. Being gay themselves they know that's not how "gay" works. But they also know that other people think they can, so they taunt them. I think that's cruel.
It’s not a winning strategy. It hurts their cause.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Memberships are $10 a month. I don’t see how they make it
The model, as far as I understand it, is that they get loads of people to sign up because it’s so cheap, and then expect those people to not show up, but forget/not bother to cancel. It’s not a bad idea if you have the customer base to support it and no competition to eat away at it. My gym’s regular price is something like $65/mo and their hours aren’t as good as PF’s; if I had a PF-style gym convenient to my house, I’d switch in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The model, as far as I understand it, is that they get loads of people to sign up because it’s so cheap, and then expect those people to not show up, but forget/not bother to cancel. It’s not a bad idea if you have the customer base to support it and no competition to eat away at it. My gym’s regular price is something like $65/mo and their hours aren’t as good as PF’s; if I had a PF-style gym convenient to my house, I’d switch in a heartbeat.
It’s probably crowded. I work out at home. I don’t have to wait to use anything

• Agree
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Mine gets a bit crowded, but I used to go to a PF-style gym and it was usually kind of empty, especially at night. And it was huge, so even if it was busy, there usually wasn’t much waiting.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,239.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There's also the pretty common phenomenon of people signing up at the beginning of the year because they have a resolution to get into shape and stop going to the gym after only a few weeks.

Upvote 0