• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Josh Edwards

Aug 21, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
✟16,238.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have struggled with lust since I was very young before adolescence really and now that I'm born again I'm actively trying to fight it but I always end up losing, I have come here to ask for some advice (i'd also appreciate your prayers).

I am not a worldly Christian, I don't go into situations where I know I will be tempted to lust, I try my very best to avoid it - if I'm lusting after a woman and I can't leave then I will look at the floor to avoid it. I have tried many deliverance videos online, they sort of work but they didn't today, I understand that once I'm delivered then I must fill that void left by the spirit with the word of God, when I first became born again I read the word a lot and then stopped because I didn't find it engaging. Nowadays I read my Bible daily, I constantly try to fill myself up with the word of God in order to defend or preveny against falling into temptation.

The lust that I experience I can't really control most of the time, but when I find myself able to control my actions when I'm lusting I resist it (usually successfully but it returns later). I have managed 3 separate periods where I have resisted lust successfully for more than 3 weeks since last year but right now it's unlike anything I've fought, its really strong and I can resist for a while but usually I fall into temptation, after which I immediately repent because I realise what I have done (almost like snapping out of it).

God has promised me a wife, I know who she is I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, is it because I'm close to beinge set free and Satan is turning up the heat so he doesn't lose me?

Any help and prayer would be much appreciated, thanks.

Josh Edwards

Aug 21, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
✟16,238.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have struggled with lust since I was very young before adolescence really and now that I'm born again I'm actively trying to fight it but I always end up losing, I have come here to ask for some advice (i'd also appreciate your prayers).

I am not a worldly Christian, I don't go into situations where I know I will be tempted to lust, I try my very best to avoid it - if I'm lusting after a woman and I can't leave then I will look at the floor to avoid it. I have tried many deliverance videos online, they sort of work but they didn't today, I understand that once I'm delivered then I must fill that void left by the spirit with the word of God, when I first became born again I read the word a lot and then stopped because I didn't find it engaging. Nowadays I read my Bible daily, I constantly try to fill myself up with the word of God in order to defend or preveny against falling into temptation.

The lust that I experience I can't really control most of the time, but when I find myself able to control my actions when I'm lusting I resist it (usually successfully but it returns later). I have managed 3 separate periods where I have resisted lust successfully for more than 3 weeks since last year but right now it's unlike anything I've fought, its really strong and I can resist for a while but usually I fall into temptation, after which I immediately repent because I realise what I have done (almost like snapping out of it).

God has promised me a wife, I know who she is I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, is it because I'm close to beinge set free and Satan is turning up the heat so he doesn't lose me?

I have also begun to cut myself off from sources of lust such as social media, I have uninstalled all of it but that hasn't had much of an effect either.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Here is some real true advice on the subject.

Give it to God, let him know you know its wrong, and you want to follow his commandments.
Let him know his commandments are more important then anything that is lust filled at any week moment in your life.

Ask him to help you in the very week moments in your life so you can keep his commandments.

The lord God helps the ones who love his commandments over sin or lust, and this is the topic.

If you love Gods commandments over lust, then , every time you are tempted to lust, you will remember his commandment on fornication.

And as we all are built with temptations in this area, God is still stronger then any human felling.

Gods spirit will enter into you every time you would be tested because of your love for him.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Brother! This struggle is mine. Read my post I put to encourage us guys in this very thing.

Declaration of Encouragement

But God has set me free, even though it was a few near death situations. I want you to understand that if you don't stop that God will make things worse for you and you will lose all your strength. It's true what the word of the Lord says,

And now, O sons, listen to me,
and do not depart from the words of my mouth.
Keep your way far from her,
and do not go near the door of her house,
lest you give your honor to others
and your years to the merciless,
lest strangers take their fill of your strength,
and your labors go to the house of a foreigner,
and at the end of your life you groan,
when your flesh and body are consumed,
and you say, “How I hated discipline,
and my heart despised reproof!
I did not listen to the voice of my teachers
or incline my ear to my instructors.
I am at the brink of utter ruin
in the assembled congregation.

~Proverbs 5:7-14

I am telling you this word is your very life! It is not empty because it happened to me. But God brought me through even that. Take your life seriously and repent and throw away the carousing of your desires. Stop drumming them up in your mind and in your body. THAT is how I am staying free, by staying far from weakness.

I don't let myself even start building up the desire. I put whatever embers out with a gallon of water. Overkill it man.

I'll pray for you that you take these things seriously, your life and not walk in the way of the rest of the world by carousing your desires.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Prayer for you brother, This is every mans battle but remember
Heb 4:15 Says for we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet he did not sin.
Only Jesus was perfect so we all have fallen and many still do, However we have that wonderful grace available to us when we fall. Get back up, Dust yourself off and get in the Word of God.
Eph 6:10-- Put on that Spiritual Armor.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Not just sexually, but in general desires, I have found that mindful repetition of the Jesus Prayer (“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy one me, a sinner”) has been very helpful in relieving lust, along with the other seven deadly sins...
(But what do I know? I am a fellow sinner, hopefully redeemed by Christ..)

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ADMIN HAT

This thread has been cleaned to fit within the recovery guidelines of posting and has been moved from Christian Advice to Recovery Related Spiritual Advice.

Please see the recovery guidelines before posting if you are new to the recovery forums.

Thank you.

Upvote 0