When is a thought considered a lustful thought?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟91,812.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Berean Study Bible James 1:

15 Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
desire
ἐπιθυμία (epithymia)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1939: Desire, eagerness for, inordinate desire, lust. From epithumeo; a longing.

Matthew 5:

28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
lust after
ἐπιθυμῆσαι (epithymēsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 1937: To long for, covet, lust after, set the heart upon. From epi and thumos; to set the heart upon, i.e. Long for.

BDAG ἐπιθυμέω:

① to have a strong desire to do or secure someth., desire, long for
② to have sexual interest in someone, desire
These are two different but related Greek words. Looking at something is okay, but looking at something to lust after or covet it is not okay. The Pharisees focused on external behaviors, but Jesus shifted the focus inwardly to the heart. Your conscience will tell you whether you have sinned or not.

Lust is not just sexual. Acts 20:

33 I have not coveted [G1937] anyone’s silver or gold or clothing.
The same Greek word can also mean "covet'.

If a man lusts after his wife, would that be adultery?

No. Adultery, by definition, can only be committed with someone else's wife.

Is it okay to lust after one's wife?

Not if he objectifies her. It is okay to desire her and long for her.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟799,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Berean Study Bible James 1:

desire
ἐπιθυμία (epithymia)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1939: Desire, eagerness for, inordinate desire, lust. From epithumeo; a longing.

Matthew 5:

lust after
ἐπιθυμῆσαι (epithymēsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 1937: To long for, covet, lust after, set the heart upon. From epi and thumos; to set the heart upon, i.e. Long for.

BDAG ἐπιθυμέω:

These are two different but related Greek words. Looking at something is okay, but looking at something to lust after or covet it is not okay. The Pharisees focused on external behaviors, but Jesus shifted the focus inwardly to the heart. Your conscience will tell you whether you have sinned or not.

Lust is not just sexual. Acts 20:

The same Greek word can also mean "covet'.

If a man lusts after his wife, would that be adultery?

No. Adultery, by definition, can only be committed with someone else's wife.

Is it okay to lust after one's wife?

Not if he objectifies her. It is okay to desire her and long for her.
It is a bit of irony, though "irony" isn't really the word I want there (but I can't come up with better right now) that such subjects so often are hard to draw the line on. We find ourselves parsing, not wanting to be dishonest with ourselves, but not wanting to encumber ourselves for conscience's sake either.

Lately, I keep finding myself saying to myself, "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin", when I start to draw that threshold where what is by nature becomes sin.

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0