Name a single religion that treats Mary with more disrespect than Christianity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisBelovedMelody

Jan 3, 2006
✟10,896.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
mhm...OH MIKE, you are so right. NOT. BUT whatever. I am DONE discussing this with you. I made my statement..and it has nothing to do with my mother or anything else. AND you have YET to appease me and answer my quetions. Until you do...I won't be responding any further to your nonsense. Thanks.

Upvote 0

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
Running Springs (2 hours from LA)
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I had my salvation questioned cause I am not in the CC.
Obviously someone was ignorant of their own denomination's teachings and had no business pretending to know what the CC teaches. The Bible says that those who try to teach will be judged to a harsher standard, so whoever said that to you is in some real trouble with their soul.

Upvote 0

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
mhm...OH MIKE, you are so right. NOT. BUT whatever. I am DONE discussing this with you. I made my statement..and it has nothing to do with my mother or anything else. AND you have YET to appease me and answer my quetions. Until you do...I won't be responding any further to your nonsense. Thanks.
Well, being such a polite Christian response, you have given me quite the motivation!

Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you have some personal issues about this, rather than theological issues. Just because your mother is ignorant of proper RCC theology you are going to condemn the entire denomination, a majority of the world's Christians??

Marion veneration is 100% optional. Catholics, back me up here, am I right or wrong? (I already know the answer of course.)
That would kinda depend on what you mean by optional...

'M not really sure about Catholics, but in my church that veneration is somewhat in the Liturgy, but especially prevelent at other services: we have a Paraklesis service, which is about half hymns to Mary; little Compline ends with a prostration before her, it's well nigh impossible to take her out of the prayers (it is very meet and right to call thee blessesed...), and several of the major holidays are dedicated to her.

I suppose it would be possible to abstain, but it would definitly result in being noticibly absent a lot, silent a lot, and not participating in parts of the service ("silent be the lips of the impious ones/ those who do not reverence you great icon, the sacred one/ which is called Directress..." and sure enough, it's supposed to be reverenced there in front of everyone), and most probably a long talk with the priest.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My perspective...

Calm down...seriously. Where is this venom coming from? Most of the people arguing in favor of respecting the Theotokos are talking about how it upsets us when people DISRESPECT her as a way of arguing against Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. We aren't talking about people who simply don't think about her much.

IMHO...

While I embrace some Marion concepts and not others, like most Protestants known to me, I call none heresy or false. I may not agree that they are doctrine or dogma, but that doesn't make them invalid opinions or practices.

In my roughly 5 years of active involvement in Catholicism, I saw and heard nothing that disturbed my rather Protestant heart and mind in this regard. Indeed, for many, the devotion of Mary was a very, very rich and helpful vehicle to enrich their faith in Christ. And while I own a beautiful Rosery but never adopted the custom, I know many who have and are blessed through it. I find it hard to rebuke such.

IMHO, there is a difference between not embracing something as Dogma and threating Mary with the distain being suggested in this thread. I adore, honor, respect and in a sense venerate her - as a PROTESTANT, without embracing all these views as dogma. IMHO, there's nothing here to suggest divisiveness or such mud slinging on various sides.

Orthodox and Catholics agree with you that worshipping the Theotokos is idolatry and yet you keep telling us that over and over again.

Actually, my priest taught us that Catholic DO worship Mary. When Catholics claim that they don't, this is causes Protestants to quote the Popes and official statements to the contrary. But what my fellow Protestants often don't appreciate is that "worship" does not imply divinity. They DO worship Mary (in the same sense that I do), but clearly and obviously not as divine (as Vatican II made crystal clear). When Protestants raise this point to me, I invite them to open their dictionaries and look up the word "worship." Then also "venerate" and "revere." These words (largely interchangeable) are not limited to the divine. This should be obvious to any Protestant when they see "Rev." in front of their pastor's name. "Reverend" comes from the word "revere" which means "to respect, to shown devotion, to honor." My dictionary lists "worship" as a syn. In England, some governmental officials have the title of "His Worship." It doesn't imply divinity, it does imply honor - pretty appropriate since "all generations will call me blessed."

IMHO, Protestants (who once revered her as much as Catholics once did) have largely abandoned this as Catholicism has more and more strongly embraced it. Sad and very inappropriate, IMHO.

Speaking for my fellow Protestants, some DO feel that Mary is sometimes attributed with qualities that rightfully belong to God. Positions like the Coredemtrix and Mediatrix of all Graces (while propertly understood are probably okay) are often viewed as reinforce this. The praying TO Mary rather than simply petitioning her prayers to Jesus on our behalf (again, this CAN be properly understood) are also sometimes seen as reinforcing this. And the very recent movement of these concepts to the status of Dogma are highly noted, too, by Protestants who see nothing in Scripture to affirm them. Protestants sometimes hear these things and observe what seems to THEM as pretty inappropriate - and this makes them uncomfortable. I sometimes wonder why Catholics often fail to see how this can happen - without any HATE in their hearts? IMHO, rather than concluding that the Protestant hates Mary and her Son or that these Protestants are Anti-Catholic, it might be better to explain things a bit. And sometimes take a little responsibility for those few Catholics who do - sadly, rarely - take this further than the Church approves and officially teaches. When that's admitted, Protestants understand - it happens among us, too - although perhaps in other areas, LOL.

My $0.01...

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisBelovedMelody

Jan 3, 2006
✟10,896.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
read the post Mike. You were questioning the teaching my mother got. it was BY the priest of HER church...as for me..I KNOW where I stand in my faith, so your 'lovely' comments to me and about me are of NO relevence. JESUS is the one who died for me...I love him and worship HIM!

Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
BTW: today is the feast of the nativity of the Theotokos (EO, new calander)! May everyone have a blessed day!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0908nativityofmary.jpg
    0908nativityofmary.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
read the post Mike. You were questioning the teaching my mother got. it was BY the priest of HER church...as for me..I KNOW where I stand in my faith, so your 'lovely' comments to me and about me are of NO relevence. JESUS is the one who died for me...I love him and worship HIM!
Priests are sinners too...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Priests are sinners too...
And they may have even taught her mother wrong, but given that what JP is saying is so obviously contrary to RCC doctrine, that seems highly unlikely to me.

Upvote 0

HisBelovedMelody

Jan 3, 2006
✟10,896.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
And they may have even taught her mother wrong, but given that what JP is saying is so obviously contrary to RCC doctrine, that seems highly unlikely to me.
of course...you are the only one that is ever right. WHATEVER Mike.

FUNNY how everything is wrong but when I challenge you to show me where you get your stuff...YOU REFUSE??! HM>>maybe YOU don't know your doctrine as well as you like to think?? OR maybe you just like to spout off...hm...

Upvote 0

mike1reynolds

Knight Errant
Apr 29, 2006
✟4,442.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, since you have such a bad attitude towards me, but you seem willing to listen to others without being so vicious, I will let them converse with you. Obviously you hate my guts for other reasons entirely, and my presence here is only hindering the possibility of your calming down and having a rational dialog.

God bless and take care.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.