Houston
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.

Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me.

The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Mary was the believing virgin woman in whose flesh was conceived the body prepared by the Spirit for the Word. He come down from heaven to dwell in that body of flesh among men, to show them the Father as He is.

And it was the Father who called Him the Son of God, not Mary: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

That holy thing was the body of flesh prepared for Him to dwell in. The Word coming down out of heaven to be the Son of God in flesh on earth was not that holy thing.

The second Adam had a body flesh prepared for His soul, even as the first Adam had a body of dust prepared for His soul to dwell in: first the sinless body and holy thing was prepared, then God breathed into it, and Adam become a living soul dwelling therein.

So also, a sinless and holy thing was prepared for the Lord Himself, in which He entered and became the Son of God dwelling therein.

Neither the living soul of Adam nor of Jesus was that body of sinless flesh, which was first made of dust, and then made of a woman.

The Son of God's body was made of flesh of a woman of the seed of David. The Son Himself was neither made nor created ever at all.

The body of Eve was also made of the flesh of Adam, even as that of Jesus from Mary.

The Son Himself and God the Word was no more the 'son' of Mary, than was Eve the 'daughter' of Adam.

Mary was a good and faithful woman of Israel who carried the holy and sinless body of Jesus and gave birth to it, not to God.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The "problem" with that overview is that the Son of God did not simply put on flesh like a masquerade costume, allowing him to appear to be a human to the people he witnessed to.

He genuinely took on human nature and lived it exactly as we all do except for the fact that he did not sin, owing to him having a complete divine nature at the same time.

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law.

Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.

Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me.

The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Mary was the believing virgin woman in whose flesh was conceived the body prepared by the Spirit for the Word. He come down from heaven to dwell in that body of flesh among men, to show them the Father as He is.

And it was the Father who called Him the Son of God, not Mary: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

That holy thing was the body of flesh prepared for Him to dwell in. The Word coming down out of heaven to be the Son of God in flesh on earth was not that holy thing.

The second Adam had a body flesh prepared for His soul, even as the first Adam had a body of dust prepared for His soul to dwell in: first the sinless body and holy thing was prepared, then God breathed into it, and Adam become a living soul dwelling therein.

So also, a sinless and holy thing was prepared for the Lord Himself, in which He entered and became the Son of God dwelling therein.

Neither the living soul of Adam nor of Jesus was that body of sinless flesh, which was first made of dust, and then made of a woman.

The Son of God's body was made of flesh of a woman of the seed of David. The Son Himself was neither made nor created ever at all.

The body of Eve was also made of the flesh of Adam, even as that of Jesus from Mary.

The Son Himself and God the Word was no more the 'son' of Mary, than was Eve the 'daughter' of Adam.

Mary was a good and faithful woman of Israel who carried the holy and sinless body of Jesus and gave birth to it, not to God.

So where do you think everybody went wrong on that?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And then there's that pesky little verse spoken by Elizabeth where she calls Mary, "the mother of my Lord" (Luke 1:43).

Who was "the Lord" at that time?
Was it not YHWH, Jesus throughout the NT being referred to as the YHWH of the prophecies?

Any explanations, anyone?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: PeterDona
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hard to believe that someone wants to fight this battle again. A mother gives birth to a person. The person of Jesus is both human and divine.
"The Council of Ephesus in AD 431 used the Greek term Theotókos, which means “the one who gives birth to God,” to refer to Mary. The term was used to counter the Nestorianism heresy, which taught that in the incarnate Christ, there were two separate persons, one human and one divine. Nestorius taught that Mary gave birth to Christ the human but not to Christ the divine. The Council of Ephesus confirmed the full deity of Christ and unity of His person. Only in that sense, the Council viewed Mary as the “mother of God.”
Is "Mary of the Mother of God" (Theotokos) Biblical?

Upvote 0

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I watched a video explaining the differences between the 3. Maybe it can help you.

Basically it says that there's:
God the Father - the Provider
God the Son: Jesus - The Savior
God the Holy Spirit - The Helper

So I agree with you, Mary is the mother of Jesus (the Son), not God (the Father).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I watched a video explaining the differences between the 3. Maybe it can help you...So I agree with you, Mary is the mother of Jesus (the Son), not God (the Father).

That makes the misunderstanding even worse. :doh:

• Agree
Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟371,115.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hm, you could say, Mary did not "create" God, but she bore God in her womb until the conception. I believe that the word "theotokos" means literally "God-bearer". She bore God and gave birth to God. Therefore she is legitimately the mother of God.

I think one verse here is "all generations shall call me blessed". It shows that she has achieved (or been given) something wonderful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hm, you could say, Mary did not "create" God, but she bore God in her womb until the conception. I believe that the word "theotokos" means literally "God-bearer". She bore God and gave birth to God. Therefore she is legitimately the mother of God.
The whole controversy comes down to that line in red and how it is understood by the reader. It reflects what almost always is said in one fashion or another when this debate gets going.

The truth is that Mary bore the baby who already existed as God. No problem there. But she did not "give birth to" God in the usual sense of that expression, which would be to say that she originated God.

• Agree
Reactions: PeterDona
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,891.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But she did not "give birth to" God in the usual sense of that expression, which would be to say that she originated God
If that is the usual sense of the expression then people have not understood the Scriptures regarding childbirth. No mother is the origin of her child, God is. It is God who creates each new person in the womb of their mother.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If that is the usual sense of the expression then people have not understood the Scriptures regarding childbirth.

That's true.

But what I was referring to is the use of that phrase in ordinary conversation about other topics.

So when it IS used as part of a discussion like the one we're having here, we shouldn't be surprised that there are misunderstandings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟737,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
A. Mary is the Mother of Jesus
B. Jesus, as Christians believe, is fully God and man
C. Therefore, Mary is the Mother of God.
Looks pretty straightforward to me. :crosseo:

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Looks pretty straightforward to me. :crosseo:
I think when many people say or think "God" they may have a more Unitarian view of God rather than Trinitarian. They only think of "God" as God the Father. Jesus is fully God, and the Holy Spirit is fully God. That may explain some confusion. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit and co-equal and co-eternal.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A. Mary is the Mother of Jesus
B. Jesus, as Christians believe, is fully God and man
C. Therefore, Mary is the Mother of God.
Everyone's correct. It's all a matter of what people mean and other people hear when it's described as "Mary is the Mother of God."

Mary didn't come before God in time, but that's what we usually understand is the case with the mothers of their own children.

And Mary didn't cause God to come into existence, although that is also what people generally associate with a claim that someone is the mother of someone else.

• Agree
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

U.S. Grant

Jun 7, 2021
Houston
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "problem" with that overview is that the Son of God did not simply put on flesh like a masquerade costume, allowing him to appear to be a human to the people he witnessed to.

He genuinely took on human nature and lived it exactly as we all do except for the fact that he did not sin, owing to him having a complete divine nature at the same time.
I can see how you would make the mistake of thinking the teaching somehow denies that Jesus Christ came in the flesh, but then you would be accusing Scripture of saying so.

The Word was made flesh. He was made of a woman. Adam's body was made of the dust, and then when God breathed into that body, he became a living soul. Jesus is the second Adam and a body was prepared for Him.

The difference between all other mankind and the first and second Adam, is that the first Adam became a living soul after a body was prepared for him, and the second Adam was the Word Himself come down from heaven to dwell among us in likeness of sinful flesh.

Jesus was God the Word in flesh and now His flesh and bone is His church on earth.

He inhabited a body in the days of His flesh, and now He inhabits a body in the days our flesh.

Mary was the mother of the flesh and bone baby boy, not the mother of the Word as a baby boy come in the flesh.

Upvote 0

U.S. Grant

Jun 7, 2021
Houston
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And then there's that pesky little verse spoken by Elizabeth where she calls Mary, "the mother of my Lord" (Luke 1:43).

Who was "the Lord" at that time?
Was it not YHWH, Jesus throughout the NT being referred to as the YHWH of the prophecies?

Any explanations, anyone?
They knew the man Jesus as Lord and called Him Lord, and He was their Lord, as well as Mary's.

The Mother of God would have no Lord over Her, even as God the Father has no Lord over Himself.

Our Lord has no Mother for us to call our Mother, but He does have a Father for us to call our Father.

I don't worship any Mother of God, only the Father. There is no God the Mother.

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Upvote 0