Like it or Hate It?

Do you like or hate being a PK?

• Love it (I'm considering the ministry myself)

• Hate it (I'm considering atheism)

• Six of One, Half a Dozen of Another

Results are only viewable after voting.

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Expectations are definitely hard to deal with, then you add to that an attitude or mindset of taking everything on yourself and that's definitely something that can crush a soul. That's one reason I've been really happy to have these PK forums up in CF, because it helps to know we're not alone and we don't have to live up to some ridiculious standard to be love & accepted. Sometimes life in a the spotlights are a bit blinding in those areas.

Upvote 0

Randi

Jun 13, 2005
✟2,018.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One thing I don't like is when people in the church expect more out of us than their own children.

A few months ago we were at a funeral dinner. My sister, brother, and I had been helping the whole time. My mom told us to take a break. So we sat down and were talking to a few of our friends...

Then this lady in our church walked over and asked us (and i mean me, my sister and brother. NOT our friends who were sitting next to us...) why we were just sitting there. She told us we should be helping.

Another lady from our church walked up and *nicely* reminded the first lady that her daughter had been sitting and eating the entire time.

Upvote 0

Locket

Speak softly and carry a BIG STICK
Oct 23, 2004
In the Milky Way Galaxy
✟51,839.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
One thing I don't like is when people in the church expect more out of us than their own children.

A few months ago we were at a funeral dinner. My sister, brother, and I had been helping the whole time. My mom told us to take a break. So we sat down and were talking to a few of our friends...

Then this lady in our church walked over and asked us (and i mean me, my sister and brother. NOT our friends who were sitting next to us...) why we were just sitting there. She told us we should be helping.

Another lady from our church walked up and *nicely* reminded the first lady that her daughter had been sitting and eating the entire time.

:eek: That's horrid!

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me), I don't go to funerals. I don't go to the weddings either, unless I know the people very well. You take forever to get ready, sit and sit and sit, watch other people cry, then sit and sit and sit, eat a little food, and you really haven't missed much since the wedding pictures will be circulating in a few months anyways. However, this of course differs when you know the people really well and want to be part of either their comforting (for funerals) or their celebration.

Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Doctoring hearts with the love of Jesus
Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Expectations are definitely hard to deal with, then you add to that an attitude or mindset of taking everything on yourself and that's definitely something that can crush a soul. That's one reason I've been really happy to have these PK forums up in CF, because it helps to know we're not alone and we don't have to live up to some ridiculious standard to be love & accepted. Sometimes life in a the spotlights are a bit blinding in those areas.

:thumbsup: I agree with you. I was surprised when I noticed the PK forums here for the first time. I think in situations like this it's very important to have people who are in your shoes or have been there, done that earlier in life. It kind of reminds you of the lives of celebrities. Maybe not on the same scale as they deal with, but PK's also live in a glass house and have everyone in the neighborhood knowing their business. This is tough for someone growing up to process. And of course like you mentioned, it's always good to know that you're loved and accepted no matter what the circumstances.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
One thing I thought was hilarious...

I was sitting outside the church building last Sunday. Several of the little girls were playing and I was keeping an eye on them. One of the little ones started heading toward the road. I told her to come back. She said "no" and kept going.
Her older sister (who is 5) ran up and grabbed her arm and said, "You HAVE to obey her...Her daddy's God!"

Haha...then I had to explain that my dad actually isn't God. Such fun. : )

I love being a PK most of the time, but it can be stressful.

^_^ :)

Upvote 0

Briseis

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2006
✟10,555.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I never really understood all the fuss about being a PK. It never bothered me. I didnt care if they called me the pastor's kid, cuz I was. Its just like saying Bob's kid, imo. I never felt like ppl had high expectations of me. I dont think that my dad's job had that much of an influence on my life, besides that fact that it made us move a lot.

Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Doctoring hearts with the love of Jesus
Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I never really understood all the fuss about being a PK. It never bothered me. I didnt care if they called me the pastor's kid, cuz I was. Its just like saying Bob's kid, imo. I never felt like ppl had high expectations of me. I dont think that my dad's job had that much of an influence on my life, besides that fact that it made us move a lot.

I'm glad to hear that you had such a positive experience. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, your comment in bold is more often times not true than being true for most PK's. Thank God it wasn't that way for you! I hate to hear that PK's are being singled out simply because of what job their mother or father has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EdmundtheJustified

Nov 11, 2006
✟15,258.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Being a PK for me has always been a blessing. I've enjoyed being at the same church for 16 years, growing up with and loving many of the same people throughout that time. I've benefitted greatly from being under my dad's teaching, and he will often come home or at least out of his bedroom and give the family a preview of what he's working on for a particular Sunday. I've grown up seeing both the good and bad parts of the ministry, and continue to thank God that He has put me here. I don't feel like the people in my church expect more of me because I'm a pastor's son. Neither do they put my siblings and I on a pedestal. We're all just subjects of the same King, with many of the same struggles that we face from day to day. Thank God for the body!!

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

LeAnn1973

Mar 22, 2007
California
✟15,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a "pastor's kid" and I've heard that all my life-that we're the worst. Well, I wasn't the worst, in fact, I had such good parents that I didn't want to disappoint them, and they taught me values that I didn't want to go against. Not that I didn't sew my wild oats, but I did it after I was an adult, for a couple years, then back to normal me again! Yesterday I heard another funny one- "Nothing bad can happen at your house-you've got the direct hotline to God!" oh please.

Upvote 0

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟17,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was rereading through some of these posts. A couple of things that struck me was someone suggested that a large percentage of PK's reject Christianity because they know the dual personage of their parents.

Maybe that was why I left God and church for 20 years after leaving home. I hated seeing so little of my father and then when I did he was not a spiritual leader at all. He was worn out, tired, busy, and we rarely prayed, shared a devotion, talked about God in our home. God and the church was my dad's work but He was not around much in my house unless we had company.

The other question someone asked was if any PK's have gone to another church after leaving home. Personally I grew up Methodist but now am a member of a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church (see conservitive). My dad cautioned me about not joining because they are so absolute on the Bible and judgemental and non-welcoming etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. I love my church, I love the presentation of the whole gospel and I love how warm and welcoming everyone is.

I am glad my dad is a preacher because he loves it. I just wish I had not had to be a PK. My 14 year old son is talking about going into the ministry, I am not sure I like the idea but that is between him and God.:prayer:

TCat

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

captheo

Apr 12, 2007
✟15,144.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Didn't like the part where everyone expected me to be fully knolagable on the bible.

Didn't like how people always NEEDED to find some falt in me so thay could run down my Dad.

Did like the respect I got even if phoney.

Did like the way people changed exprsions and language when I walked by.
:preach:

Upvote 0

San54

SAN 54 -Check out my Blog!
Sep 4, 2006
✟17,733.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am an adult now,but having been the child of a Pastor was a blessing for me.Dad passed away many years ago,but I vivdly remember the years I spent being a member of the first family of the church.
I learned early how to interact with the older people.Pk kids in my day were taught to be gracious ,mannerable and an example for the congregants.We were friendly and obidient because we didn't want to embarass our parents.
We saved our acting out for other places as we lived in a different town.
My family had dinners with just about all of the members ,so we had lots of practice with table manners.We also were served the very best the families could afford,so we were introduced to a variety of new and delicious meals.We also learned the art of small talk as we visited all the different homes.
Being in church so much means we got the word of God planted in our hearts very ,very young.
We also got lots of prayers from the members ,I have reaped the benefits of that throughout my lifetime.
I understand the inner workings of churches ,and can do any job I am called on to do( except preaching) in a church.
I am quite at home in the public eye ,and learned to be careful what I said ,to whom and where and of course when.This early lesson kept me out of a lot of trouble in the work place.
At times ,like on Sunday night when we had been in church all day,eaten and were on our way back to Sunday P.M. services sometime I would grumble a bit,but not very often.
My brother and I did however swear off Sunday School .We still do not attend Sunday School to this day.We overdosed on it while growimg up.
I learned to love the church ,and the people of God.I thank God and my parents for this blessed life experience.

Upvote 0