Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In my view, the corporal punishment dished out by an adult to a child, usually under 13 years of age, is a bullying action propagated not so much by the behaviour of the child, but more by the inadequacies of the parent.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'd call pain in childbirth significantly corporal.
The natural act of birthing a child is painful but beautiful - as is the entire process of pregnancy. I can't fathom that Christians would cheapen it by comparing it to slapping a child.

But, I guess what you're saying is, you condone the pain inflicted upon a child through parental corporal punishments because God gave women pain in childbirth. I can't argue with you - it's bizarre logic to me; but then I don't accept a lot of what people justify using the bible.

• Agree
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,488,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The natural act of birthing a child is painful but beautiful - as is the entire process of pregnancy. I can't fathom that Christians would cheapen it by comparing it to slapping a child.

But, I guess what you're saying is, you condone the pain inflicted upon a child through parental corporal punishments because God gave women pain in childbirth. I can't argue with you - it's bizarre logic to me; but then I don't accept a lot of what people justify using the bible.

I did not bring up Eve, you did--so, no, that's a poor guess of what I'm saying.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,498.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What does that even mean. I thought everyone was God's children and I don't recall him belting Adam, Eve or the kids.
Yep. Time out... isolated in this world to hopefully learn from our stupidity. Something todays masses cannot even fathom the stupider they get.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,498.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The child needs to understand why the behavior is incorrect, why it offends the other and violates the familial ethos. Duty is shaped not enforced.
Is this where this modern trend of being offended comes from?

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
spanking is lazy parenting
the parents don't bother to use any of the many discipline methods that teach a child correct behavior

spanking only shows a kid that a bigger person is allowed to hit you; it teaches one to be a bully

I've seen it in our neighborhood
I saw grandma outside spanking boy
that boy in turn beats on his sister
Weird that not one of my kids is a bully. Quite the opposite.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In my view, the corporal punishment dished out by an adult to a child, usually under 13 years of age, is a bullying action propagated not so much by the behaviour of the child, but more by the inadequacies of the parent.
Or we are being biblical.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What does that even mean. I thought everyone was God's children and I don't recall him belting Adam, Eve or the kids.
No, not all are God’s children.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is this where this modern trend of being offended comes from?

Offense is a choice. I started grooming my daughter at a young age so she understood our way and how it differed from the world's. The principles were reinforced throughout her life. There must be buy-in beyond do what I say. They need to believe in you and you should be worthy of following.

Anyone can breed. But everyone can't shape a soul. That's why we're in this mess.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
not even close!

Spanking Children: Does the Bible Tell Me So?

"The fact is these very verses in Proverbs have not only been poorly translated but they have been irresponsibly read out of their historical context and misapplied. For example, the word translated "rod," that might have inspired an Adrian Peterson, or perhaps my grandmother, to go outside and "cut a switch" off a tree in the backyard, is used by King David in an entirely different way in Psalm 23--The LORD is my Shepherd--where we have the line: "They rod and thy staff they comfort me..." (v. 4). The Hebrew word translated "rod" (Shevet) clearly does not have to refer to physical beating but can be a metaphor for general discipline and "leading," as with sheep and a shepherd. It is also the word that refers to a tribal leader--who carries a staff or sceptre of leadership--not to beat his fellow clan members, but to lead and direct them. It is used over 180 times in the Hebrew Bible--never with the connotation of beating."
Rod does refer to physical correction. And since we aren’t talking about beatings, your point is moot.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Does God tell you to hit kids?

"The “rod” of God is comforting, as in Psalm 23:4 (“your rod and your staff, they comfort me”). This might imagine God, as a shepherd, holding a shepherd’s tool, called a crook.
It’s a long stick, and not used to beat sheep, but to guide and manage.
Nowhere in the Bible, however, is a shepherd’s staff used to make physical contact with anything"

"If you’ve hit your children, apologize to them?
Tell them you were mislead by a religious tradition that didn’t know what it was talking about. Tell them you were gullible, and acted against the love in your own heart.
Ask forgiveness. That would be a powerful thing to do.
Hitting people teaches them about being overpowered, humiliated and shamed. Yes, there’s results. The wrong ones."
A staff and a rod are two entirely different things.

Upvote 0