inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟250,804.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since I am not clear exactly which link you're referring to, or which point I was making with it, all I would say is that while I understand the arguments for quotas in general they are not a mechanism I would choose.
Ok so lets just say these ideas underpin policies within our institutions. Now you say we can identify abuse by these 3 beliefs. Yet they don't seem to be able to identify these ideological beliefs behind ideas like equity and reverse descrimination as cultivating abuse. They actually believe they are the opposite and will make for a equal society and prevent abuse and violence.

How can your tripod of beliefs identify abuse here. It seems to have limits. It cannot identify abusive beliefs if the people using the measure don't think their beliefs are abusive. Or they believe natural beliefs are abusive the other way around. Its all subjective.
I'm not going to chase that red herring off topic, but I don't really agree that this is the problem you're making it out to be.
So you don't think women are being disadvantaged and even attacked for standing up for womens rights in their matters. Its certainly not a Red Herring and is directly related to the heart of this matter. In determining equality between people and broups which seems to be the foundation for abuse and violence.

Just like a male may believe they have a right to deny womens rights is leads to abuse so do the new idea of allowing certain groups to deny other groups their rights.
Just because of the pay? No. But let's not kid ourselves; it's a significant factor. And when I research why there are relatively few male teachers, it's one thing that gets mentioned over and over again. Men look at the relatively low pay in teaching and choose other fields where they will do better financially.
Why don't women then. You seem to be too quick to case a negative reason on men. Always some self serving alterior motive. If pay is a big factor. It seems you make up reasons for men but don't apply them to women.

I think theres been a lot of teachers resigning and theres been a bad rap on the industry especially with the disicipline problem in schoold where teachers are being stressed out and attacked. Ironically its males which we need to help sort out the behaviour problem especially with boys.

Numerous studies have noted that the major motivating factor for males choosing teaching is, like their female colleagues, a desire to work with children and make a difference in their lives
First up, this does not exclude men.
Yes it does exclude men. If theres morte men then we have to get more women. If theres less men then this is not the case. We don't have a policy to choose men over women and if we did there would be outrage by the Woke brigade lol. The idea is that males especially white males cannot be disadvantaged as they are the oppressors.
Secondly, the point of these policies is not to fill positions with unqualified people, but to recognise that "merit" doesn't only come in one shape, colour, or cultural package, and to be willing to correct for our inbuilt biases.
No merit comes without any cultural package of race or gender full stop. It shouldn't matter full stop. The idea is to get the best for the job to be able to do ther best overall job.

For example males are naturally better and suited at heavy coinstruction. So they will dominate the candidates as best qualified all things being equal. Males naturally doi well at STEM so they will at least have the majority of best qualified. But if we make STEM 50/50 we will be denying some better males of that position for the sake of DEI. Its unreal to say we can get a 50/50 mix and the best candidates at the same time. It doesn't work that way.

The Unis had this policy under affirmative action which put many minorities into uncomfortable positions where they could not keep up with the course work and either dropped out ofr failed. We have to lower the standards to accommodate this and its happening across many industries.
No; more that the culture which nurtures our boys teaches them not to value academics, to see studiousness as "girly," and so on.
But that wasn't a problem before. They were doing relatively well remember as they were ahead of girls and they probably had those attitudes more in the past than today. No its something else. They study environment has changed and its not suiting boys. Having majority of women teachers doesn't help but that is a result of a feminised system by the fact there are majority females.
I can, however, listen to and read accounts of men. And studies done which do that work with large cohorts. And their results don't match your claims.
But I just linked several articles some from actual mens groups, from the males experience who support what I am saying. ie

“The way teachers teach, what happens in the classroom in terms of pedagogyand that's the style of teaching, the way lessons are structured – is more suitable for girls. And all research is proving that.

Lessons and exams, with an emphasis on coursework, were now more suited to girls and were seriously disadvantaging boys. The school system does not value enough of the traditional male things like competition.

Christina Hoff Sommers was absolutely accurate in describing, in her 2000 bestseller, The War Against Boys, how feminist complaints that girls were “losing their voice” in a male-oriented classroom have prompted the educational establishment to turn the schools upside down to make them more girl-friendly, to the detriment of males. As a result, boys have become increasingly disengaged.

The thing is if you cannot know what men think and experience then even your investigation will be biased by the fact you will focus on certain issues you think are releeevant and important and as I have seen so far you often come down on deminishing male disadvantage and reality by your language.
No, that's not what I said. I did say that women's unique experiences may allow us to perceive things which men might not so readily be aware of.
Therefore how can I trust that you can fully appreciate males uniqqque experiences which allow them to percieve things that women (you) are not so readily aware of. If your not aware of them in the first place then you don't know what to look for. Just applying the same logic.
I am expressing my distrust of your account of male experience in general. Not least because it doesn't match what actual men in real life tell me.
First you are reverting back to your personal experiences. Have you spoken to every man in Australia. Or are you using your small sample to represent all men.

The actually evidence comes from men in real life captured in surveys and studies and as I linked the evidence shows many males feel disenfranchise from their identity and role within society. I gave you this evdience already. Like with the high suicide and mental illness.

Thats a sign of something seriously wrong with males as a whole. Much of this traces back to self worth and identity. If society keep saying men are toxic which we all know has been the narrative in recent years then its going to rub off.
For example, I've been discussing this thread with my husband as I've been participating in it, and he considers most of your claims about men's lives, experiences, desires, "natural traits" and so on, to be basically ridiculous.
But I am not going to base the truth on your husband. I mean he;s your husband and theres a conflict of interest to start let along whether he is unbias or maybe has a similar ideological outlook to you. We need a wide and vasy survey and other data to determine the truth.

But we can see bits of the symptoms that males are not doing well by the data, high suicide rates, mental illness, imprisonment, high fatherlessness which affects boys more, high addiction and homeless rates, high incidence of violence whether assualt, gang related or family violence, high rates of school drop outs, rapidly decreasing rates of education and now deminishing work markets. Not to mention the many family breakdowns where males usually lose everything including their kids.

Surely that in itself are symptoms like symptoms of a disease that reveals a big underlying problem thats getting worse for males. I cannot see how your husband cannot see this. This is the reality and its reflected in the data and real lived experience.

I think this is probably a pretty good account.
I started to turn off this article about half way through. A women citing a women about men. I would have thought it better to ask a male about males. Anyway when she started to make out that males feeling more down about losing their job and being supported by their wife and then comparing this to how women don't get as down to make out males should be more like females on this. Like theres no underlying reason why males may be more affected by losing their work and becoming dependent on women.

The evidence shows that males place more importance of work, occupation and are more competitive in this regard than women. Thats because this is their natural state. They are not like women and should not be boxed in to behave and react like women. This stems from the ideology that males and females are exactly the same and should feel and behave the same about everything.

I agree that there is an element of unhealthy behaviour when males put down other males for not working and being a man. But the basic driver of why males do this comes from a natural place. There is an innate inclination for males to be more in tuned with working, with occuptaion for providing for their family and contributing to society. So we should expect they feel more upset and down when they are not working and contributing.

In fact the evidence shows that when men are working and when they are earning more than women marriages and relationships are more healthy and last longer. It seems this balance works best for making a strong relationship and both happier.

Roughly seven-in-ten adults (71%) say it is very important for a man to be able to support a family financially to be a good husband or partner. Men are especially likely to place a greater emphasis on their role as financial providers.
Americans see men as the financial providers, even as women’s contributions grow

The most commonly reported finding from sex difference studies is that males place more emphasis on social connections that provide instrumental support, whereas females tend to seek more emotional support

Across prime working-age groups, men tend to experience higher motivation and commitment in the workplace than women. Researchers conclude that gender differences in motivation and commitment persist across age, managerial level, and tenure. Men have an edge across all the variables that researchers studied.

Men need to work more than women. Here's why.
When a man doesn't have a job, almost everything is bad: mental health, physical health, relationships with friends, relationships with spouse, and relationships with children. If a woman drops out of the workforce, she feels not great but not awful. If a man drops out, he basically is functioning at under 20 percent levels on all major life aspects.

Better-Educated Women Still Prefer Higher-Earning Husbands
With women now surpassing men in educational attainment, and the most educated women more likely to be married, it seems reasonable to assume that a husband’s income would be less important to the marriage contract than in the past, particularly for women with advanced degrees. But recent research indicates that is not the case: male breadwinning continues to be central to not only marriage formation but also marital stability.

Men feel happy if they earn more than their wives, study shows

More Money, More Marriage: How Breadwinning Matters for Both Men and Women Today

Last edited:
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ok so lets just say these ideas underpin policies within our institutions.
Most institutions don't use quotas for their workforces (just before anyone gets carried away, here).
Yet they don't seem to be able to identify these ideological beliefs behind ideas like equity and reverse descrimination as cultivating abuse.
If anything, I would see quotas as an attempt to correct for gender-based hierarchy and rigid roles, so I wouldn't agree that the use of quotas is cultivating abuse, either.
How can your tripod of beliefs identify abuse here.
Well, first up, not getting a job isn't abuse as we're discussing it here, to start with. So you're attempting to apply those principles to an unrelated question.
So you don't think women are being disadvantaged and even attacked for standing up for womens rights in their matters.
I said, I'm not chasing that red herring off topic.
Why don't women then.
Probably because, for many women, who are the primary caregivers of their children, school hours (and school holidays) make balancing work and childrearing easier. Since men don't generally have the same caregiving responsibilities, they are free to prioritise other things.
You seem to be too quick to case a negative reason on men.
I'm not saying it's a negative reason. There was no value judgement from me. Heck, wild horses couldn't drag me into classroom teaching, I'm not going to blame anyone else deciding it's not for them, either.
It seems you make up reasons for men but don't apply them to women.
I didn't make that up. That was what article after article identified as a leading cause of men choosing other careers than teaching.
Yes it does exclude men. If theres morte men then we have to get more women.
Making space for women is not "excluding men." They're still there.
No merit comes without any cultural package of race or gender full stop.
However, hiring practices are not culture-blind or race-blind or gender-blind. This has been demonstrated time and time again. So things like quotas force those doing the hiring to get beyond their own blinkers and preconceptions and seek out a greater diversity of merit.
But that wasn't a problem before. They were doing relatively well remember as they were ahead of girls and they probably had those attitudes more in the past than today.
I don't think that's true. We don't have to look very far back to find widespread beliefs that girls simply didn't have the intelligence or capacity for higher learning, that that was a masculine pursuit. I was reading something recently, written a century or so ago, which argued quite seriously that women couldn't handle learning a second language (where boys were often expected to study Latin and Greek). It was mad, but those were common attitudes.
But I just linked several articles some from actual mens groups, from the males experience who support what I am saying.
I'm not taking seriously any piece engaging in polemic like a "war against boys." There are plenty of men's groups spouting all sorts of misogynistic nonsense.
Therefore how can I trust that you can fully appreciate males uniqqque experiences which allow them to percieve things that women (you) are not so readily aware of.
You are welcome to put an alternative point of view. Sometimes I might even agree with it. But a lot of your claims are not very credible, and not even agreed upon by other men.
First you are reverting back to your personal experiences.
I am pointing out to you that the personal experience of engaging with you in this thread, doesn't necessarily match other personal experiences. It's all personal experience, but not all of it fits together into a coherent whole. You are but one voice in a crowd.
But I am not going to base the truth on your husband.
It does, however, mean that I'm not getting a message that you speak for all men, in some kind of coherent way. You don't.
I cannot see how your husband cannot see this.
Where we disagree is on the causes. You want to blame feminism and social change. We don't find that explanation convincing.
Anyway when she started to make out that males feeling more down about losing their job and being supported by their wife and then comparing this to how women don't get as down to make out males should be more like females on this. Like theres no underlying reason why males may be more affected by losing their work and becoming dependent on women.
No; her point is that there is an underlying reason; our society sets men up to invest their self-worth in their employment in unhealthy ways.
The evidence shows that males place more importance of work, occupation and are more competitive in this regard than women. Thats because this is their natural state.
Nonsense. The idea of work and occupation in itself is entirely socially constructed and has nothing to do with a "natural state."

Upvote 0