• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I've always wondered...

Trailltrader

May 26, 2013
Lakewood, WA
✟14,883.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Will a diabetic always have a reduced life? Because I've heard different things.
I'm type 1, have been for 8 years since I was 10, and obviously you can't always have perfect control, so does anyone know if it does affect everyone?

Thank you, sorry it's not a nice topic..

I've been a diabetic type 2 now for 5 months, 2 weeks. I have the "honor" of being the Veteran with the highest blood sugar of all time at 1290! Took the VA 3.5 days to lower it down to 150 so I wouldn't go into shock- they didn't waste any time and sent me to a weeks worth of school.

Your questions: will a diabetic always have a reduced lifespan? No, not if they take care of themselves and monitor their blood sugar. Be aware of what you eat, and WHEN you eat. Control your diabetes by portion control: I try to take 2 ounces of protein meat and then a medium sized bowl of ice cream and my blood sugar is usually about 120 before bedtime, 2 hours later I get up and its about 180, and then by the time I get up 5 or 6 hours later its dropped to 110 to 90.

Always be conscious of how you're feeling, what you're doing, what you're eating will go a long ways to having a long life.

26.7% of all adults over 55 have diabetes- its call "Geriatric diabetes" so its something to know.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0