Is universalism the only option if there is no hell?

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Lazarus is a resurrection parable.
With all due respect, this is how people of your doctrinal persuasion choose to make this.

There was a certain man... He was in torments (a deterrent for those who live). Understand this.

Jesus demonstrates that upon death, the righteous were comforted in Abraham's bosom. Abraham is alive. He rejoices to see Jesus' day (from Hades). God is the God of the living, not the "sleeping". Jesus said Lazarsus "sleeped". Lazarus was dead!

The wealthy man was in torments (in fire). They could see one another from across the gulf. Even though he spoke and reasoned (with Abraham), he was burning in torment (wanting even a fingerful of water).

The rewards begin upon death. After Jesus' death, He liberated those in what was paradise/Abraham's Bosom/Paradise.

...The rich man, resurrected second, is sliding toward the lake of fire.

There is a a difference between Hell and the Lake of Fire. Hell gets dumped into the Lake of Fire at the "final" judgment.
Righteous men go straight to Heaven, and the wicked go to Hell to be tormented by flames and devils.

Even the devils will be punished in the Lake of Fire.

The lake of fire is called the second DEATH.
It's a second death, because those who go into it were raised into their bodies to be judged. They go into the lake at this point.

Death intimates destruction, not torture.
Truly God's ways are higher than ours. We would think it very cruel for a human being to burn someone alive (their death would be very quick, but extremely painful). Yet God Himself is going to do this. Is this not the worst torture? It is torture.

It's going to last too as demonstrated by verses that say that worms and flames will torment the wicked and they will not die. The rich man was burning and he did not "die". He was already dead (first death).
The thief on the cross is interesting and complicated. There is debate about the comma placement as there were no commas or periods in the greek text or the aramaic.
The thief went with Jesus into Hades (paradise on the "good side"). All of the righteous saints in the Old Testament went there. Even the other Lazarus went there.

Just as Jonah was in the belly three days, Jesus was in the belly of the earth (not sleeping!). He made a show of the rulers of darkness openly in Hades and then led captivity captive with His great love and took them to Heaven (Jesus taking the keys to Hell, death, and the grave).

'Today you shall be with me in paradise' is impossible because christ went to the grave, he was buried for three days, which is certainly not paradise.
It's only impossible if you believe everyone is napping until another day. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are living! They are now in Heaven (not paradise). Jesus told those who do not recognize the resurrection that they greatly erred. He wasn't talking about Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob sleeping and then resurrecting 6,000 years later.

The first example states that Jesus is 'saying today', or, because of what has happened today, as a promise of the future, the thief shall be in paradise, then after resurrection, because of what he said that day,
My wife's grandfather died and the family of Spirit filled believers were weeping over his body. They asked God not to take him from them. He came back! He was angry! He had already seen his wife at the veil. He had suffered from violent shaking from MS. He had a new youthful body. He did not want to come back. I believe he remained one day after this.

The figure of speech "sleeping" or to "sleep" is a metaphor for death. Jesus demonstrates this with Lazarus. To depart from this body is to be present with the Lord. Not too many people rotting in the grave (or even reduced to dust) are present with the Lord if they're sleeping.

...he plainly said in no figurative speech that no one has gone to heaven and this would include abraham and david and all the others too, including enoch and elijah - i know that's up for debate but there is sufficient biblical evidence to support some other place on earth.
They did not go to Heaven before Jesus' taking the keys from Satan. His blood sacrifice enabled all of those waiting in Hades to go to Heaven, where they are now.
...eternal destruction is the opposite of eternal life, eternal torment implies eternal life.)
They are both a state of spiritual being. Whatever state you are determines where you will abide. We are to abide in Christ, but even that is a choice (not a one time decision).
You're right, for a man to be burning it would be near impossible to carry on a conversation, but if the man were in, shall we say, a high state of stressful anxiety brought on by recognition of his plight ...
The man was getting his reward (as was Lazarus).

You remember Moses and Elijah spoke to Jesus before the cross. They were alive too!

I get doctrine from the OT. Much of our gentile interpretation of NT does not adhere to OT teachings,
My friend the Holy Spirit is alive and well also and teaching the church. He also uses the five fold ministry to keep believers from every wind of doctrine.
I don't think that to love God we need a deterrent. I doubt that God would intentionally put a deterrent like torment forever in front of people he loved so that they would love him.
The deterrent is for those who would turn from Him. It's necessary because people do this (I did it) and the penalty is eternal and for ever. Yes, love paid the price so no one would have to go, yet people love to sin and enjoy the pleasures for a season (now trapped in bondage). If they don't repent, they go to Hell (not sleep until they are raised for a quick burning). The devils will have it worse than us because they led God's beloved astray (He, giving them freewill to make the choice themselves, just as He gave the fallen angels a choice when they were tempted.)

True love is given willingly and is given freely it is not ransomed or persuaded by threat.
Jesus said to fear this and if we are abiding in His love, it's not a tormenting fear of God at all. Yet, for those who stray, it is supposed to be "tribulating".

In matthew 13:19 and 13:38 the 'wicked one' is mentioned in both verses, but the king james has the word 'one' in italics...So the text then reads, 'then come the wicked and catch away the seed'... wicked being ungodly people and not an implied satan.
This world is full of both angels and demons. We are merely houses and we must keep the Spirit of God in our house (abiding in Him), or else we become the habitation of devils. It's important to know this too, or else you won't be resisting him (them). You'll only be trying to resist your own flesh (secretly being afflicted by devils). As a roaring line he goes about seeking to and devouring those who do not walk in light.

It's important for all people (not just believers) to understand that they are accountable for their actions. Yes, if you abide in love, you need not fear Hell. But to tell others that God is different than His Word declares, is not wise and you become an unwilling party to deception. The punishment is forever and the smoke goes up forever. The worm and flame die not.

At the very same time in a different place, the joys of the Kingdom of Heaven are eternal as well (eternal as God is eternal).

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2013
✟7,624.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The rewards begin upon death. After Jesus' death, He liberated those in what was paradise/Abraham's Bosom/Paradise.

Do you have scripture to back up that abraham is alive? and that anyone got literally liberated?

1 Corinthians 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

1 Corinthians 15:18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

1 Thessalonians 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
And this is only from the new testament, there are more saying the same thing in the OT.

Too many topics. You are wrong about sleeping and about the second death being a place of torture.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the new heaven and earth death (also hell if you look at the word) will be no more. I saw a study about it. But if it's true, it's still long enough, so we still need revival. Sadhu Sundhar Singh saw heaven and wrote some things down, about an idol worshiper who never heard of Christ and lived a good life and went to heaven. One angel said to him: maybe it's a cleansing fire.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2013
✟7,624.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
People who don't know of christ, don't get anywhere. Its not a cleansing fire is a destructive fire. People die once, get resurrected and are destroyed so they may not partake of eternal life.
Jesus is the door. Those who receive jesus the father knows also. Those who try go up another way are thieves and robbers. We can only enter in through the sheepfold by the shepherd. Jesus is the messiah of the OT.
Living a good life is not a prerequisite for heaven. Entrance to what God has is not based on people living a good life especially if they worshiped idols. The whole of the bible is against idol worship. That is a works based religious belief and its wrong. We cannot earn our way into Gods good graces by being good. we have to accept Jesus, acknowledge our sins, ask for forgiveness, repent and invite God into our lives.
God will never allow someone who have merely led a good life into heaven. That is a lie.
Nowhere is there evidence that the lake of fire is a cleansing fire. The pattern for a good life approved of God is to know God first and the good works that follow will be because they know God. The good works will then be a fruit of the spirit and not an effort of self.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
People die once, get resurrected and are destroyed so they may not partake of eternal life.
Jesus Himself showed us that after death, the wicked are tormented. They abide in a flame that torments and does not devour or go out. They also have regret, suffer thirst, and fear that their families will follow suit.

Entrance to what God has is not based on people living a good life..
You are right. You cannot gain entrance this way. You can walk the holy highway after you enter though (entirely by grace). You will be judged based on the choices you make (the road you walked).

...We cannot earn our way into Gods good graces by being good. we have to accept Jesus, acknowledge our sins, ask for forgiveness, repent and invite God into our lives.
We're not talking about "earning entrance". We're talking about living a righteous life (by abiding in Him - in His grace). We are given a new nature by which we are enabled to now walk holy and blameless before Him. We will still sin, because we have a body with an opposing nature. When we sin, we must repent and receiving cleansing by the Blood of Jesus.

Nowhere is there evidence that the lake of fire is a cleansing fire.
It is a destructive, tormenting fire. The flame and the worm dieth not.

The good works will then be a fruit of the spirit and not an effort of self.
It's all by grace, but grace is given and we will be judged based on our choice to walk according to that grace (or fail the grace of God).

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Himself showed us that after death, the wicked are tormented. They abide in a flame that torments and does not devour or go out. They also have regret, suffer thirst, and fear that their families will follow suit.
It would be more bearable for Tyrus and Sidon and Sodom and Gomorrah at the day of judgement. I don't believe the second death can be forever and ever and for everyone the same, it's about aioons, otherwise He can't be everything in everyone.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Is universalism the only option if there is no hell?

If not, what are the options?

(I'm not sure this is the best place to post this, but please lets not discuss the existence of hell in this thread - thank you).

Mike

I am a non-denominational charismatic Christian annihilist... I associate mostly with the Assy of God in teaching but just don't believe in eternal life for those thrown into a fire. I attend charismatic churches/fellowships and if the subject of hell comes up I don't argue with them. I say eternal life is a gift from God, hellfire was not ever spoken of in the OT and has been twisted in the NT ....it is not necessary to believe in hell to be saved. Besides God is going to do what he will do and he isn't asking me for instructions
be blessed, andrea

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
....it is not necessary to believe in hell to be saved. Besides God is going to do what he will do and he isn't asking me for instructions
be blessed, andrea
Hello Andrea!

Yes, you can likely make Heaven without believing in Hell. Jesus believed in it. Wouldn't it be hard to look Him in the eye and not take Him at His Word? I realize people believe different things about it, but the Words of Jesus are supposed to be the "last Word".

God will do what He will, but He's sending out preachers to warn people to flee the wrath to come. It's necessary to believe in Jesus, and really, without believing in Hell, then there's no urgency to tell people, because you don't believe they will come to harm.

I want to see my loved ones saved and it makes me pray and want to please God because I can't bear the thought of them suffering in the way Jesus described.

Another consideration is that the existence of Hell provides justice for people like Hitler (at the extreme end of the spectrum).

If you don't believe God supplies the justice, then why shouldn't we take matters into our own hands. Why should someone kill a loved one and then kill themselves and just get away with it? I know God will punish evil-doers and Jesus said certain people will rise up in judgment against entire cities (these people were in the example were already "dead").

Just ask God for His perspective, because that's the only One that matters.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Hello Andrea!

Yes, you can likely make Heaven without believing in Hell. Jesus believed in it. Wouldn't it be hard to look Him in the eye and not take Him at His Word? I realize people believe different things about it, but the Words of Jesus are supposed to be the "last Word".

God will do what He will, but He's sending out preachers to warn people to flee the wrath to come. It's necessary to believe in Jesus, and really, without believing in Hell, then there's no urgency to tell people, because you don't believe they will come to harm.

I want to see my loved ones saved and it makes me pray and want to please God because I can't bear the thought of them suffering in the way Jesus described.

Another consideration is that the existence of Hell provides justice for people like Hitler (at the extreme end of the spectrum).

If you don't believe God supplies the justice, then why shouldn't we take matters into our own hands. Why should someone kill a loved one and then kill themselves and just get away with it? I know God will punish evil-doers and Jesus said certain people will rise up in judgment against entire cities (these people were in the example were already "dead").

Just ask God for His perspective, because that's the only One that matters.

I spent most of the last 30 years justifying hell... and then when I studied it and found out there were some really good theologians who didn't believe in eternal torment, I was happy to give it up. The Early church fathers didn't seem to write about it and the OT didn't mention it. I believe hell is thrown into the lake of fire, beings will be destroyed forever and ever. The bible also says hell was not made for man and eternal life is a gift to believers. The OP specifically asked we not turn this into a discussion on the existence of hell. Which I do believe in, its the God torturing people for trillions... of years I have a problem with... he didn't make hell for man, yet is omniscient so he knew man would end up there so duh??? Mostly its bc the early church did not preach, teach or warn about eternal torment, that came about when the RCC was selling indulgences.... and the whole hell fire thing scared people into paying up....
That said, I submit to the Lord and His ways are above my ways, I would honor Him hell or not.
God bless, andrea

NT Wright is just one who doesn't believe in our doctrine of eternal torment.
God bless, andrea

http://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/death/origin-of-hell-fire.php#.UgWQWxaffJw

http://www.goodnewsaboutgod.com/studies/hellfire2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_on_Hell

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Arguments For An Eternal Hell

Among the common arguments advanced for the existence of an eternal hell are these:

Words and pictures in the New Testament imply finality.
The doctrine of hell has been believed for a long time by eminent theologians.
Offers of pardon are restricted to the present world.
The judgment occurs at the close of the redemptive era, and hence is final.
Character tends to final permanance.
The conscience expects and demands retribution in another life. {7}
Arguments Against An Eternal Hell

Commonly presented arguments against the existence of an eternal hell include:

Words and pictures in the New Testament imply death and destruction (i.e., annihilation).
"Eternal punishment" can refer to results that are eternal, not an eternal process.
Vindictive justice is not compatible with the God of love and compassion revealed in the New Testament.
The punishment does not fit the crime (i.e. non-eternal sin and disbelief). {8}
Hell contradicts the Christian assertion of the final victory of God over evil. {9}

sorry don't have source.... but I didn't write this I think its Religion facts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hello, Andrea, thanks for posting in the thread.

I didn't know NT Wright doesn't believe in the doctrine of eternal torment. My pastor keeps plugging his books (at least the Tom Wright books as he doesn't think we're clever enough for the full-on books ;) ) I must see what he has to say.

Since starting the thread I have done quite a lot of reading and considering and seeking God's perspective. My understanding has changed considerably, though I don't claim to have all the answers.

I understood hell to, by its very nature, last without end. I am no longer convinced that that is the case.

I also thought that universalism was the idea that all people are already "saved" as a result of the cross. What I find is that there is universalism that allows for all people to be saved, but all people do still have to make a decision for Christ.

So, I think that if I were to start the thread again now, it would be based on a different question.

What I have observed in my reading, especially reading online, is that people who don't believe in hell as eternal torment have a less strident, way of putting their point across.

Thanks again for your posts,

Mike

Upvote 0