• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I have some questions about the "honor dad and mom" commandment, please clarify

(WALL OF TEXT AHEAD, I TRULY NEED HELP, I MEAN IT AND PLEASE DON'T BE DISCOURAGED BY THE AMOUNT OF TEXT, INSTEAD INTERPRET THIS AS PROOF THAT I'M IN ENOURMOUS SUFFERING)

(I consider myself quite skilled at english, but portuguese is my main language and mistakes are to be expected in this text. Please be forgiving)

I know we should follow the commandments, without exception. I try to follow 'em all, I know I'm not perfect, but most of the time I can follow them no problem.
But there's one who makes me very concerned about my faith, the "honor father and mother" one. Honoring mom is no problem, she's one of the kindest i've ever met. The issue is "honoring father"... I can't do it. Sorry, it's like a condition, I can't do that. I know that God wants me to do that, but... Couldn't we make an exception here? Can God understand my struggle?
You're probably thinking: "Oh dear, fathers can be harsh sometimes, when you grow up you'll understand". No. You don't get it. You don't know him, you don't know what he did, what he does neither who he is, you have absolutely NO IDEA of how ****** he is. No joke, he's probably the worst people I had the unpleasure to meet, and I mean it. You might be shocked by what I'm saying, you might think I'm being ridiculous and disrespectful. Again: You have no idea of who he is, or you wouldn't be thinking that. He's simply the prime example of what NOT to do as a PERSON (note I didn't even bothered to say "dad", I said "person" because he not only failed as a father, but as a human being overall).
I'll start by what bothers me the less: He's extremelly annoying and has a habit of forcing himself onto people he meets in a failed attempt of being accepted, but the truth is, no one likes him. His awful taste of humor, bad hygiene and manners scares away even little kids, who he likes to grab, hug and talk spitting to even when the kid is clearly not appreciating it at all.
He's highly uneducated, makes a mess on the kitchen and expects everyone to be ok with that. Also, when he messes up (everytime) and drops something on the ground, either by stumbling with the thing or whatever, he says "it was a setup", that "someone put it there just so he would stumble on it". He bought his academic degree, proof of it is his extremely poor grammar, always asking someone if he typed something incorrectly (he always do), and when I said "if you can't spell anything without making at least 5 mistakes, how did you get employed?" he got EXTREMELLY TRIGGERED, assaulted my in a furious rage state and screamed at me like the ****bag he is. And this isn't just baseless conjecture, I heard my drunken uncle say it out loud in a family dinner "he bought his degree". After that, my father rushed at me and sweared that it was a lie. Later then, I secretly asked my mom if she knew the truth, and at no surprise on my end, she confirmed me that he indeed illegally bought his degree.
This might be redundant, but I still have to say: He lies a lot. Lies of all sizes, all over the place and about nearly everything. Usually about his dirty little secrets, of course. When i was a kid, the lies were mostly about something I learned from someone but he highly disagreed. A fine example would be when I was 7 and I asked him if I could purchase an Spongebob Squarepants videogame, and he said that the brazillian government had prohibited the commerce of Spongebob Squarepants-related media, because Spongebob WAS GAY. I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP, I'M NOT. I HAVE NO REASON TO LIE TO PEOPLE WHO I'M ASKING HELP TO (you guys). He literally said that. I guess I can skip detailing that he's an homophobe and a sexist, because that part pretty much covers it up. Just as a little bonus, he has no respect for women in the streets, when I was a little boy he would teach me sex-related badmouthed words and push me towards random women in the streets, probably as a mean to "educate my masculinity", or whatever the heck he wanted. He also would point his finger towards gay couples in the streets and say: "Hey Douglas, look at those dirty pricks, these sick *****. They have mental issues", he would say.
He's a fake believer, often joining churches and introducing himself to christian communities as a Christian, when in reality he just "thinks" he believes in God, he tricks himself into thinking that he believes in God when in reality he is as putrid as i've described him until now plus many more stuff. And he does NOT regret any of this stuff, he developed a self-defense mechanism on his brain that finds a justification for every **** he does, sometimes feeling a little of fake remorse but never actual regret, because he forgets the **** he's done just as much as he does them. Being socially rejected as he is, it didn't come as a surprise he would seek a christian community to satisfy his social needs, but to use them as a simple mean to socialize and not truly follow the law of God, i didn't think he would go that far, even knowing how selfish he is.
He offers help to people just to rub it on their faces in the future. Always expecting - and sometimes demanding - something in return, usually recognizement and to be honest, most of the times the person didn't even ask for help. In the new year, my friends united here at my room, he broke in the door without being invited, sat on my bed and started chatting with my friends, who gave him some response just because he lived here, they felt it was wrong to ignore a man while being in his house. He offered himself to drive at 00:00 and buy pizza with money he couldn't spend (he was unemployed at the time and still is) just to try and get some prestige from my friends, who definetly didn't even answer if they wanted it, he just rushed to the car and bought the pizzas. That day, he did a SERIES of ***** stuff, but i won't go in detail because I don't know if I can make this short enough for everyone to read.
As a kid, he would shove gifts into my face and later "demand" respect from me just because he bought me some stuff to play with, as if he wanted to BUY my respect, respect that he never deserved, being the ****** **** he is, ever since I was born. If he truly deserved it, I would have respected him even without the material stuff he got me (and I got rid of later in time, just to make sure he can't use the gifts as an argument anymore).
He cheated on my mom when I was 10, and he spoke about it with me just fine, as if it was the right thing to do, as if he was correct on doing it. My mom discovered it a little bit later, and I happened to find a used panty on his backpack while I was searching for an SD Card so I could show it to my mom, but we still live together because mom and him both have rights regarding our house. My mom is building another one so she can move out later, tho, and of course, she's sleeping in a different room. The woman he's been cheating my mom with is gone as well.

That's all I CAN REMEMBER RIGHT NOW. I'm 100% sure there's more, but I don't remember it. And I've tried my best to tell him that I want distance from him, that I don't ever want to see him again, I've explained everything I dislike about him and clarified that he's the worst person that I've met. But he never gets it. It is as if he thinks I'm joking, maybe, on his head, he's thinking like: "Oh, no. He's my son, he can't be serious about that, he doesn't really mean he hates me, right? Maybe by tomorrow he will have already forgotten about that and will begin treating me as a friend again". But I always stated it as clear as I could, with words, punches in the face, kicks and pranks, but he NEVER gets it. He pretends he understood, but 1 day later and then he's already directing his word at me once more, as if nothing happened the day before, as if we didn't fight, as if we didn't swear each other, he's just ******** as a donkey.

And it got me insane. I've punched and ripped my pillow, I kick my bed, I punch the air, I close my teeth and it's all because of him. All of the times I did that was with him inside my head. I started to be afraid of interacting with people because I feared I would randomly enter a fury state in public if my mind thought of him for a moment.

I've thought of killing him.

Multiple times, I came up with plans, methods of covering it up and all sorts of things. It affected me that much, and the ONLY thing that stopped me of ending his life was my religion, which does not allow me to take anothers life.

Please, help me. I can take any kinds of help, be it emotional, logical or whatever. I just don't know how to deal with that anymore, of course I can study, get a job and move very far from here with my mom, but

Will I last that long?

I definetly don't know.

And on top of that: According to the commandments, God still expects me to honor, greet and appreciate this... Specimen. I'm actually trying to be optimistic, and expect that God understands me and make an exception for my case. But if He truly wants me to honor my father above all those circumstances... As much as i am reluctant and unpleased to say that,

I believe i'm going to hell.

Of course, disobeying would not be my only sin, I make some slips every once and then, but it's nothing that I can't work on and fix with given time. This is.

And to make things worse, dad's going to hell, too! Meaning this torment will last to the ends of the eternity. I'm basically trapped in a lose-lose situation!

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟548,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Hamilton.

I read through your post. I have only a moment before I have to go to work, but I will pray about your situation. When I get back I'll see what sort of advice I can offer you. But for now, remember that all things are possible with God, which means if you ask Him, He can help you and make a way for you where there seems to be no way.

God bless. I'll check back later.
Hidden.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟548,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, Hamilton, let me address some things.

First off, I understand how he could be offending you so badly. Maybe not everyone would be so offended by everything on your list, but trust me, I believe I know where you are coming from. My wife finds many of the things you said to be highly offensive to you about him to be very offensive to her as well (marital unfaithfulness, hateful comments about others, homophobia, chronic lying, ignorance, terrible hygiene, very inconsiderate behavior towards you when you were hoping to have fun with your friends, etc).

BUT, you need to be aware of something: As much success as the Devil has had in luring your father into being sinful, understand that he is now trying to turn you into an even MORE sinful person by making you into a potential murderer. You have to stand against Satan here, and tell him that you will NOT submit to his wishes, but you will love God and believe Him to deliver you.

Now, about how to handle your situation, I strongly advise you to try this. Because my wife gets offended by similar things, I asked her what she would do, and she said she learned very early on even as a child to block things out of her mind, and when necessary block people out of her mind as well. You have to develop the ability to put him OUT of your mind entirely. I don't know how to do that, but then maybe you could learn. Do not worry about the commandment to honor your father. It essentially means to value him, to treat him as someone who has great value in your eyes. Is it a commandment we are asked by God to keep? Yes, but scripture also says judge righteous judgment, and in your case it may be awhile, even after you are out of the home and can start to see him from a more forgiving perspective, until you can fulfill this command. I'm not telling you to disregard the commandment. I'm telling you to just put off worrying about it for right now. God does not put demands on us that are too difficult for us to meet.

I will send you a private conversation so you have someone to talk to about what you are going through at all times, and you have a friend whom you can tell how you feel. Things will be ok. You just have to trust God, and pray to Him that He helps you to be a good man. He will do it if you call out to Him for His help.

In the meantime, here's a song that the Lord gave me to give you.
God bless you, Hamilton. I am praying for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
(WALL OF TEXT AHEAD, I TRULY NEED HELP, I MEAN IT AND PLEASE DON'T BE DISCOURAGED BY THE AMOUNT OF TEXT, INSTEAD INTERPRET THIS AS PROOF THAT I'M IN ENOURMOUS SUFFERING)

(I consider myself quite skilled at english, but portuguese is my main language and mistakes are to be expected in this text. Please be forgiving)

I know we should follow the commandments, without exception. I try to follow 'em all, I know I'm not perfect, but most of the time I can follow them no problem.
But there's one who makes me very concerned about my faith, the "honor father and mother" one. Honoring mom is no problem, she's one of the kindest i've ever met. The issue is "honoring father"... I can't do it. Sorry, it's like a condition, I can't do that. I know that God wants me to do that, but... Couldn't we make an exception here? Can God understand my struggle?
You're probably thinking: "Oh dear, fathers can be harsh sometimes, when you grow up you'll understand". No. You don't get it. You don't know him, you don't know what he did, what he does neither who he is, you have absolutely NO IDEA of how ****** he is. No joke, he's probably the worst people I had the unpleasure to meet, and I mean it. You might be shocked by what I'm saying, you might think I'm being ridiculous and disrespectful. Again: You have no idea of who he is, or you wouldn't be thinking that. He's simply the prime example of what NOT to do as a PERSON (note I didn't even bothered to say "dad", I said "person" because he not only failed as a father, but as a human being overall).
I'll start by what bothers me the less: He's extremelly annoying and has a habit of forcing himself onto people he meets in a failed attempt of being accepted, but the truth is, no one likes him. His awful taste of humor, bad hygiene and manners scares away even little kids, who he likes to grab, hug and talk spitting to even when the kid is clearly not appreciating it at all.
He's highly uneducated, makes a mess on the kitchen and expects everyone to be ok with that. Also, when he messes up (everytime) and drops something on the ground, either by stumbling with the thing or whatever, he says "it was a setup", that "someone put it there just so he would stumble on it". He bought his academic degree, proof of it is his extremely poor grammar, always asking someone if he typed something incorrectly (he always do), and when I said "if you can't spell anything without making at least 5 mistakes, how did you get employed?" he got EXTREMELLY TRIGGERED, assaulted my in a furious rage state and screamed at me like the ****bag he is. And this isn't just baseless conjecture, I heard my drunken uncle say it out loud in a family dinner "he bought his degree". After that, my father rushed at me and sweared that it was a lie. Later then, I secretly asked my mom if she knew the truth, and at no surprise on my end, she confirmed me that he indeed illegally bought his degree.
This might be redundant, but I still have to say: He lies a lot. Lies of all sizes, all over the place and about nearly everything. Usually about his dirty little secrets, of course. When i was a kid, the lies were mostly about something I learned from someone but he highly disagreed. A fine example would be when I was 7 and I asked him if I could purchase an Spongebob Squarepants videogame, and he said that the brazillian government had prohibited the commerce of Spongebob Squarepants-related media, because Spongebob WAS GAY. I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP, I'M NOT. I HAVE NO REASON TO LIE TO PEOPLE WHO I'M ASKING HELP TO (you guys). He literally said that. I guess I can skip detailing that he's an homophobe and a sexist, because that part pretty much covers it up. Just as a little bonus, he has no respect for women in the streets, when I was a little boy he would teach me sex-related badmouthed words and push me towards random women in the streets, probably as a mean to "educate my masculinity", or whatever the heck he wanted. He also would point his finger towards gay couples in the streets and say: "Hey Douglas, look at those dirty pricks, these sick *****. They have mental issues", he would say.
He's a fake believer, often joining churches and introducing himself to christian communities as a Christian, when in reality he just "thinks" he believes in God, he tricks himself into thinking that he believes in God when in reality he is as putrid as i've described him until now plus many more stuff. And he does NOT regret any of this stuff, he developed a self-defense mechanism on his brain that finds a justification for every **** he does, sometimes feeling a little of fake remorse but never actual regret, because he forgets the **** he's done just as much as he does them. Being socially rejected as he is, it didn't come as a surprise he would seek a christian community to satisfy his social needs, but to use them as a simple mean to socialize and not truly follow the law of God, i didn't think he would go that far, even knowing how selfish he is.
He offers help to people just to rub it on their faces in the future. Always expecting - and sometimes demanding - something in return, usually recognizement and to be honest, most of the times the person didn't even ask for help. In the new year, my friends united here at my room, he broke in the door without being invited, sat on my bed and started chatting with my friends, who gave him some response just because he lived here, they felt it was wrong to ignore a man while being in his house. He offered himself to drive at 00:00 and buy pizza with money he couldn't spend (he was unemployed at the time and still is) just to try and get some prestige from my friends, who definetly didn't even answer if they wanted it, he just rushed to the car and bought the pizzas. That day, he did a SERIES of ***** stuff, but i won't go in detail because I don't know if I can make this short enough for everyone to read.
As a kid, he would shove gifts into my face and later "demand" respect from me just because he bought me some stuff to play with, as if he wanted to BUY my respect, respect that he never deserved, being the ****** **** he is, ever since I was born. If he truly deserved it, I would have respected him even without the material stuff he got me (and I got rid of later in time, just to make sure he can't use the gifts as an argument anymore).
He cheated on my mom when I was 10, and he spoke about it with me just fine, as if it was the right thing to do, as if he was correct on doing it. My mom discovered it a little bit later, and I happened to find a used panty on his backpack while I was searching for an SD Card so I could show it to my mom, but we still live together because mom and him both have rights regarding our house. My mom is building another one so she can move out later, tho, and of course, she's sleeping in a different room. The woman he's been cheating my mom with is gone as well.

That's all I CAN REMEMBER RIGHT NOW. I'm 100% sure there's more, but I don't remember it. And I've tried my best to tell him that I want distance from him, that I don't ever want to see him again, I've explained everything I dislike about him and clarified that he's the worst person that I've met. But he never gets it. It is as if he thinks I'm joking, maybe, on his head, he's thinking like: "Oh, no. He's my son, he can't be serious about that, he doesn't really mean he hates me, right? Maybe by tomorrow he will have already forgotten about that and will begin treating me as a friend again". But I always stated it as clear as I could, with words, punches in the face, kicks and pranks, but he NEVER gets it. He pretends he understood, but 1 day later and then he's already directing his word at me once more, as if nothing happened the day before, as if we didn't fight, as if we didn't swear each other, he's just ******** as a donkey.

And it got me insane. I've punched and ripped my pillow, I kick my bed, I punch the air, I close my teeth and it's all because of him. All of the times I did that was with him inside my head. I started to be afraid of interacting with people because I feared I would randomly enter a fury state in public if my mind thought of him for a moment.

I've thought of killing him.

Multiple times, I came up with plans, methods of covering it up and all sorts of things. It affected me that much, and the ONLY thing that stopped me of ending his life was my religion, which does not allow me to take anothers life.

Please, help me. I can take any kinds of help, be it emotional, logical or whatever. I just don't know how to deal with that anymore, of course I can study, get a job and move very far from here with my mom, but

Will I last that long?

I definetly don't know.

And on top of that: According to the commandments, God still expects me to honor, greet and appreciate this... Specimen. I'm actually trying to be optimistic, and expect that God understands me and make an exception for my case. But if He truly wants me to honor my father above all those circumstances... As much as i am reluctant and unpleased to say that,

I believe i'm going to hell.

Of course, disobeying would not be my only sin, I make some slips every once and then, but it's nothing that I can't work on and fix with given time. This is.

And to make things worse, dad's going to hell, too! Meaning this torment will last to the ends of the eternity. I'm basically trapped in a lose-lose situation!

You should honor your father and mother if they are kind to you. If they are not, if they are abusive, you should get out of that situation. That commandment is to have a loving relationship, not to be a slave to an awful parent.

The fact that that commandment can be interpreted that way is another reason why I'm doubting Christianity. The commandment should not be take in such a way. If you're in a horrible situation you need to get out of it. Talk to a friend, or anyone who can get you out of there. Prayer can only get you so far, action is what needs to be taken.

Upvote 0
she learned very early on even as a child to block things out of her mind, and when necessary block people out of her mind

I can block him from my mind, but not from talking to me. As I said, he thinks that nothing of this is serious, instead he keeps pretending the three of us (mom, him and me) are still representing a family. The only thing still linking us to each other is the house, which everyone has legal rights on. My mom is almost finishing building her own house so the two of us can move in, but he still doesn't gets it (or believes it). In his mind, we are still a family, but he's the only one who still thinks that way.
He keeps trying to hug my mom, kiss her, call her "honey" and all sorts of things, even after she decided to sleep on a different room, removed her ring, argued with him thousands of times, he pretends none of this happened, and they are still a lovely couple just the same as when they met. He's retarded.
The same with me. He thinks he can still talk to me, ask me favors, chat with me, with my friends, ask me to do things to him, completely ignoring the fact that I completely ignore him, that that he gave me reasons for me to completely ignore him, once I heard him talking to my mom after I beat his face: "I never did anything wrong to him in my life". I'm not making this up, he's either dumb or extremely cheeky. Regardless of all that, when he comes to me to say something and I repeat for the hunderedth time "I told you to pretend I'm invisible", he says "you're my son", as if he's some kind of robot that follows some kind of programming that makes him do things regardless of the circumstances. These days I almost beat him to death again. Please give me advice

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟548,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Hamilton. Glad you posted back.
In his mind, we are still a family, but he's the only one who still thinks that way.
He keeps trying to hug my mom, kiss her, call her "honey" and all sorts of things, even after she decided to sleep on a different room, removed her ring, argued with him thousands of times, he pretends none of this happened, and they are still a lovely couple just the same as when they met. He's retarded.
The same with me. He thinks he can still talk to me, ask me favors, chat with me, with my friends, ask me to do things to him, completely ignoring the fact that I completely ignore him, that that he gave me reasons for me to completely ignore him, once I heard him talking to my mom after I beat his face: "I never did anything wrong to him in my life". I'm not making this up, he's either dumb or extremely cheeky. Regardless of all that, when he comes to me to say something and I repeat for the hunderedth time "I told you to pretend I'm invisible", he says "you're my son", as if he's some kind of robot that follows some kind of programming that makes him do things regardless of the circumstances. These days I almost beat him to death again. Please give me advice

He does not understand deep-seated resentment. He may be the type of person who forgives more easily than others (despite his numerous faults), and he is transferring that quality unto you and your mom, not realizing that you for one are an entirely different person, and when you have had enough, that's it. He also does sound like he keeps trying to instill in you a value system that maybe he was raised by, and doesn't realize it is not going to work, so he keeps trying.

Again, if I didn't say this before (I think I did), God is going to call you to forgive your father at some point, because it is spiritually unhealthy to hold that unforgiveness in your heart towards him forever. But right now I think you need to get out of that house. Is there somewhere in Duque de Caxias that will take in kids from broken homes? Keep in mind, it would not be forever. Your mom is building that other house, so it is only a matter of time before you could be back with your mother. But you obviously need to remove yourself from that environment at this point. God will make a way for you if you will pray to Him. Pray for someplace else you can live for a little while, and try to listen closely of He puts thoughts, or ideas, or certain people in your head.

Upvote 0