Am I losing it or do I have the right to my opinion?

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟795,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi, this is not exactly about the Catholic faith but I am struggling (when am I not).

My dad has had a friend from college for at least 50 years. He's a "friend of the family." He has visited our home on occasion since I was born. The last time, I was on the phone with him (I didn't initiate the call) and he brought up a previous conversation I had had with him in person, about being afraid as a woman to take a walk alone. Well, on the phone he made a casual suggestion that he could take me out for a walk sometime if I felt unsafe. I found it odd for him to ask me that sort of thing, because it sounded like he was implying for a date. I simply said in a grey-rock manner "yeah" and diverted the conversation elsewhere. I didn't think he would bring it up so soon again.

A couple days after that, he calls my dad and asks him if I can go for a walk. I was taken aback by this because I didn't expect it to be brought up so soon. It made me uncomfortable. It weirded my dad out for awhile, but after a few weeks, my dad is simping for him again and telling me that we (me and my dad as a family) should remain in touch with him because he's known us for so long and that it would be rude for us to avoid him. I got really upset at my dad because I told him that I want to take my own precautions. He almost didn't like what I said I'm like, why do you want to practically force me to stay in touch with a man who I have no desire to be friends with? About a month ago, when he came to our home, he literally talked nonstop about the virtues of Islam for four and a half hours, minus going to the bathroom. It was excruciating. I know that there is a verse (2 John 1:10) about not even allowing certain kinds of people into our home! I know that this verse is seemingly not applied these days, but he's a classic example of someone who I think fits the bill. It disgusts me how I have to tolerate such garbage ideology being brought into our home, and to make matters worse, my dad thinks that "avoiding" him while he's visiting the home is rude. I'm like I have the fn right to go wherever I want if he comes over, because he's not my friend!

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,751,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course you have the right to your opinion. It sounds to me that your father has spoken to him and is thinking they can woo you back into the Islamic fold. A form of witnessing I guess.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟795,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Of course you have the right to your opinion. It sounds to me that your father has spoken to him and is thinking they can woo you back into the Islamic fold. A form of witnessing I guess.
Do I have a right not to want to be in the same room with him all the time also?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,751,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do I have a right not to want to be in the same room with him all the time also?
Well he is your father’s guest in your fathers house. You have a right to your feelings but I’d just play it cool if I were you. Be busy, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟70,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have to even waste the bandwidth on this because EVERYONE know my stand on this:

You have a right to any and all opinions, company, association and outlooks you want.

You do you. It's your God given right.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟14,058.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi, this is not exactly about the Catholic faith but I am struggling (when am I not).

My dad has had a friend from college for at least 50 years. He's a "friend of the family." He has visited our home on occasion since I was born. The last time, I was on the phone with him (I didn't initiate the call) and he brought up a previous conversation I had had with him in person, about being afraid as a woman to take a walk alone. Well, on the phone he made a casual suggestion that he could take me out for a walk sometime if I felt unsafe. I found it odd for him to ask me that sort of thing, because it sounded like he was implying for a date. I simply said in a grey-rock manner "yeah" and diverted the conversation elsewhere. I didn't think he would bring it up so soon again.

A couple days after that, he calls my dad and asks him if I can go for a walk. I was taken aback by this because I didn't expect it to be brought up so soon. It made me uncomfortable. It weirded my dad out for awhile, but after a few weeks, my dad is simping for him again and telling me that we (me and my dad as a family) should remain in touch with him because he's known us for so long and that it would be rude for us to avoid him. I got really upset at my dad because I told him that I want to take my own precautions. He almost didn't like what I said I'm like, why do you want to practically force me to stay in touch with a man who I have no desire to be friends with? About a month ago, when he came to our home, he literally talked nonstop about the virtues of Islam for four and a half hours, minus going to the bathroom. It was excruciating. I know that there is a verse (2 John 1:10) about not even allowing certain kinds of people into our home! I know that this verse is seemingly not applied these days, but he's a classic example of someone who I think fits the bill. It disgusts me how I have to tolerate such garbage ideology being brought into our home, and to make matters worse, my dad thinks that "avoiding" him while he's visiting the home is rude. I'm like I have the fn right to go wherever I want if he comes over, because he's not my friend!
hello Lady bug,

I agree with you you do not have to suffer the man if you have no affinities with him even less take a walk with him, I admit I find this strange....
You do not need permission if he talks more about the ""virtue "" of Islam to leave the room and do something else...Just tell him in a polite way it is of no interest to you.

Blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟795,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my dad is on another one of his "trips" today. My dad got angry with me just now because he brought up again the issue of needing to stay in touch with that man and how he wants to do it for my "safety." I told my dad that I'm not comfortable with that man "taking care of me" and he won't listen to me. I'm sorry, please bear with me but I feel such intense animosity toward my dad right now, as if he's someone I don't even know. I just feel utter contempt for what he's saying right now. His logic (if we can call it that) is completely upside down and he has the guts to go ape-sheet on me because I'm not on board with what he's selling.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟14,058.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my dad is on another one of his "trips" today. My dad got angry with me just now because he brought up again the issue of needing to stay in touch with that man and how he wants to do it for my "safety." I told my dad that I'm not comfortable with that man "taking care of me" and he won't listen to me. I'm sorry, please bear with me but I feel such intense animosity toward my dad right now, as if he's someone I don't even know. I just feel utter contempt for what he's saying right now. His logic (if we can call it that) is completely upside down and he has the guts to go ape-sheet on me because I'm not on board with what he's selling.
Dear lady bug, please do not be angry with your father at least not too long, He probably thinks he is doing something helpful. let a bit of time pass for the both of you to cool off. It may help me understand better if i knew your approximate age? teen?20's, 30's 40's? did you tell your father you do not want to hear about Islam, have no interest for it? that you should be able to make your own choices?

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟795,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Dear lady bug, please do not be angry with your father at least not too long, He probably thinks he is doing something helpful. let a bit of time pass for the both of you to cool off. It may help me understand better if i knew your approximate age? teen?20's, 30's 40's? did you tell your father you do not want to hear about Islam, have no interest for it? that you should be able to make your own choices?

Blessings.
I'm in my 40s.

People from Eastern cultures don't have the concept of standing up to your parents. You can be 40, 50, 60, or 70, but you still have to "obey" your parents. Age is not a concept.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟620,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being expected to hang out with your dad's friend, especially under these conditions, is rather strange to me. A very understandably uncomfortable situation for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums