Martinez
✟942,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been building computers and fixing computers for almost my whole life (since I was seven or so) My life has always been pre Christ living, breathing, sleeping, computers. And post christ living breathing sleeping computers and God. I always have to have the latest and greatest technological marvels. I take pride in building my computers because I make them fast, great, and works of art.

Sometimes this does cause problems because building the latest and greatest isn't cheap. A typical one of my builds costs at least $4,000. Sometimes up to $6,000.

I also tend to come off as a little snotty to people in the computer world because I'll tell them facts like 1440p 144hz gaming has been the standard of gaming for over 6 years now. Which, is the truth. When 2k monitors went to 144hz refresh rates the computer world exploded. Now with the release of the RTX 3080 only being a few weeks away and the 3090 being late September we are evolving into the age of 144hz 4k gaming becoming the standard.

I think my problem is I know what im talking about but I come off as snotty because I usually spend $1,200-$1,500 just on a video card. $800 on monitors $3-$500 on motherboards i... just go all out when i build and it makes me very happy. I even recently did a build for my wife because she was in massive need for an upgrade. And to me spending this kind of money on machines that are a billion times better than what you buy at Walmart is smart and saving money. And, I really enjoy what I do. I really enjoy fixing peoples computers and giving them advice. I really enjoy my online friends and I really enjoy it here on CF.

I honesty don't care that im usually on a device of some sort 24/7 but to my parents? They hate it. They think im ruining my life and ruining my money and im the one that makes it anyway. Okay fine the government gives it to me, who cares how I get it. They also hate that I give lots of money to charity too. So I have to lie to them and say the omly reason charities ask me for money is because I used to. The truth is I've been regularly giving to charity for years and years now.

When people ask me what I do for fun or what I do to keep busy im embarassed to say that I live off of the government and build and fix computers. And that my wife and i evangelize and talk most of the time on the internet.

This causes a lot of stress on my mom and she thinks I have my nose stuck way high in the air for investing so much of my money building these awesome machines i think everyone should have because they're immensely worth the money and time building. while she's had the same laptop with an illegal windows 7 on it since 2008. I keep offering to buy her a legal copy of w10 but she keeps saying no. I mean, we all have our hobbies but it upsets me that my parents cannot accept me for who I am. I cannot talk computers around my 60 year old parents.

I can't even talk about God with my mother because she's this new age movement catholic and I'm a strict fundamentalist Calvinist. So she doesn't agree with my "you have to accept Jesus or you're going to hell" "crap" so... i have no relationship with my parents. My father used to physically abuse me and verbally abuse me nearly every day until I moved out of his house. I decided to move out because I was such an unwelcome loser to my family that my dad hit my mom in front of me. That was just the straw that broke things i didn't care about being his punching bag but, my mom was the last draw.

My parents don't understand that I do in fact have friends. In fact, I have lots of them. I told my mom that I had a large Christian community praying for me during my surgery yesterday. They dont get it because my friends are online. I met my wife online too and my father refused to acknowledge us together or even married for the first 3 years of our marriage or so. Because its ridiculous the way we met and we shouldn't even be friends let alone married. Im just... comfortable with technology and computer science. But... ill always be the stupid idiot son who never goes anywhere. Idk if I shpuld just completely reform who I am or just hide under a rock. I dont know if I can be the physically social success that my parents want me to be. Or well... the world. Even my denomination has to be uncommon its like... ugghh.
What do you mean by "live off the government "? Are you working under the table and not paying taxes? Sounds like you have a business and calling it a hobby ? I am confused on your post. Help ! Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
@Neostarwcc

I agree with Elos' statement. Live and let live. I wanted my dad to change. I got into therapy when I was in my forties. When my therapist convinced me that my dad wasn't going to change and that it wasn't my fault that Dad treated me like he did, I was actually relieved. We lived over 1,000 miles from my dad. That was tremendously helpful. If we had lived in the same state, he would have demanded that we frequently visit, and the visits would be planned by him(minute by minute) and his wife would have critiqued my modest clothing. He cared about stylish clothes, make-up and perfect hair styles. His wife always looked lovely and was never the least bit overweight. I preferred long straight hair and Bohemian dresses. Oops!

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by "live off the government "? Are you working under the table and not paying taxes? Sounds like you have a business and calling it a hobby ? I am confused on your post. Help ! Be blessed.

Read the first half of post #14 I answered it there.

Upvote 0

Rachel Rachel

Messianic/Church of God 7th Day
Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2013
In the middle
✟351,056.78
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You don't need to identify with either of them. But you would be better off being on good terms with one or both of them.

Your mom seems to me to have your best interests in mind, and if you ask me, she's at least partially right. Even if she were not, reconciling and interacting with her as family members works better than the opposite, even if it's a matter of agreeing to disagree.

I'm sure there's room for more than one interest in life, and you probably would benefit from broadening your horizons somewhat. That's true for all of us.

On the religious impasse, take it for what it is. You two hold different views.

That doesn't mean the two of you have to argue it out. If she starts, you can offset the errors on her part (such as that easy believeism stuff) without arguing or lecturing, and then say that you appreciate her POV (without agreeing to it), that she has a point, and let it go at that.

For your part, don't bother bringing up the subject of religion. My own mother was of another faith and because I didn't go to the mat over doctrinal differences at every opportunity, she gradually became happy enough just to know that I was a Christian of some sort and cared about such things.

Stop trying. You know by now that it won't get you anywhere.

But I do not actually know your mother, so my advice concerns somebody I'm sizing up from reading a few lines in a post. Everything that I'm suggesting might NOT work, but I do think bending over backwards for the sake of harmony, neutralizing the areas of disagreement by sidestepping them, could lead to a better situation, and it's one that millions of other people have found to be workable and almost pleasant. Think of her as hopeless if you want, but don't relate to her that way. See what happens.
Sorry, not to be totally off tp
Maybe. But how would i even identify with either of them? The only world I know is computers. The only world my mom knows is nursing and how God apparently walked across a cloud the other day. I cant tell her its either a deception from Satan or a shadow. No I have to go along with yeah.. its probably God. Idk... We have nothing religiously in common or in common at all. Ive been trying to get along with my parents for over 30 years now. You cant tell your mom or convince her that she needs Jesus if she's going to wear the title of Christian. You cant tell your mother about how John McArthur is going psycho because she doesn't care nor has any idea who McArthur is.
Sorry to be obtuse but what do you mean "John MacArthur is going psycho?"

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟385,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I say you do you, but I work in IT so I might be a little biased. Keep on keeping on, and look for ways to earn money from it when you can. Build awesome computers, and help others with theirs. Word will spread. Those are marketable skills, even if you're not always in the right frame of mind for full-time work.

Either way, it sounds to me like you're making the best of a difficult situation.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So you get SSI. Does that make it ok to make money on the side and not pay taxes?

I dont make money on the side. I dont work and niether does my wife. My only income is ssi and I pay all the bills. I do not pay taxes because I rent my trailer from my parents. But thats going to change in a few years. My parents want to give my sister and i our trailers and leave their double-wide to my niece when they die. So in a few years I will be a tax payer like every other American. What I do to pay for the expensive things I buy is borrow the money from credit card companies and pay it off in 5-6 months. Sometimes a year. The government knows this. If they don't they'd have to be stupid because they pay attention to every cent that comes in and out of my bank account, trust me. Theyve let me know im over several times and question every penny that goes in there. Even my stimulus check money that i was technically by law supposed to have. They know about my $300-$400 monthly payments to credit card companies and about all the bills I pay on top of that. There's no hiding things from the government they check on me every six months to check if im hiding any money. And they probably monitor my account everyday.

There's nothing illegal about buying computers just probably a stupid thing to waste your ssi check on. But when they make you blow it and your bills aren't that high what else am I supposed to spend nearly $810 a month on?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My advice would be to get a job at a computer shop or as a developer. If you are able to hold a job like that it may help socially, psychologically, and financially.

Would I be able to take large breaks if an episode happened? What I always thought when I was a kid was I could work as a freelance software developer. But ive flunked computer science so many times. My math skills aren't the greatest. I have to get up to Calculus III classes and I cannot pass beginners algebra that most people take in middle school i guess. I was always in special needs classes so I dont think my GED classes went above dividing fractions. And I'd need a refresher on that. I graduated with my GED way back in 2004.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟170,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Do you sell the computers you build? If not, perhaps that would be good freelance work.
The only thing I can say is try not to be snotty. Even masters of their craft can always improve.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you sell the computers you build? If not, perhaps that would be good freelance work.
The only thing I can say is try not to be snotty. Even masters of their craft can always improve.

When it comes time to build a new one, yes I sell the "old" parts to help pay for the new ones.

Like I usuallh upgrade my video card everytime nvjdia comes out with a new technological breakthrough (every 2 years or so) what I pay for one depends. September 17th Nividia is coming out with the Rtx 30 series a significant upgrade over the 2080 series that i bought last September. I paid a little over $900 for my 2080 super, I'm going to discuss with my wife whether or not I can buy a 3080 when they come out in a few weeks and I'll for the first time probably hive her my 2080 super. Mainly because its refurbished (ASUS is repairing it right now) and i probably would be lucky to get $250 for it because its a refurbished card and everyone wants the 30 series now. But vnvidia said the 3080 will be $599 so it wont set me far back. That’s a VERY decent price for a brand new released video card.

But do I build them and sell them? No. My father told me there would be no money in that because people just buy whatever is cheap like he does.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Neostarwcc,

No one needs a $6,000 dollar computer for every day tasks. The majority who spend that amount are using it for professional purposes and have a write-off. You have an expensive hobby. Are you saving money too?

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thera

Sep 21, 2019
Montreal
✟52,709.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been building computers and fixing computers for almost my whole life (since I was seven or so) My life has always been pre Christ living, breathing, sleeping, computers. And post christ living breathing sleeping computers and God. I always have to have the latest and greatest technological marvels. I take pride in building my computers because I make them fast, great, and works of art.

Sometimes this does cause problems because building the latest and greatest isn't cheap. A typical one of my builds costs at least $4,000. Sometimes up to $6,000.

I also tend to come off as a little snotty to people in the computer world because I'll tell them facts like 1440p 144hz gaming has been the standard of gaming for over 6 years now. Which, is the truth. When 2k monitors went to 144hz refresh rates the computer world exploded. Now with the release of the RTX 3080 only being a few weeks away and the 3090 being late September we are evolving into the age of 144hz 4k gaming becoming the standard.

I think my problem is I know what im talking about but I come off as snotty because I usually spend $1,200-$1,500 just on a video card. $800 on monitors $3-$500 on motherboards i... just go all out when i build and it makes me very happy. I even recently did a build for my wife because she was in massive need for an upgrade. And to me spending this kind of money on machines that are a billion times better than what you buy at Walmart is smart and saving money. And, I really enjoy what I do. I really enjoy fixing peoples computers and giving them advice. I really enjoy my online friends and I really enjoy it here on CF.

I honesty don't care that im usually on a device of some sort 24/7 but to my parents? They hate it. They think im ruining my life and ruining my money and im the one that makes it anyway. Okay fine the government gives it to me, who cares how I get it. They also hate that I give lots of money to charity too. So I have to lie to them and say the omly reason charities ask me for money is because I used to. The truth is I've been regularly giving to charity for years and years now.

When people ask me what I do for fun or what I do to keep busy im embarassed to say that I live off of the government and build and fix computers. And that my wife and i evangelize and talk most of the time on the internet.

This causes a lot of stress on my mom and she thinks I have my nose stuck way high in the air for investing so much of my money building these awesome machines i think everyone should have because they're immensely worth the money and time building. while she's had the same laptop with an illegal windows 7 on it since 2008. I keep offering to buy her a legal copy of w10 but she keeps saying no. I mean, we all have our hobbies but it upsets me that my parents cannot accept me for who I am. I cannot talk computers around my 60 year old parents.

I can't even talk about God with my mother because she's this new age movement catholic and I'm a strict fundamentalist Calvinist. So she doesn't agree with my "you have to accept Jesus or you're going to hell" "crap" so... i have no relationship with my parents. My father used to physically abuse me and verbally abuse me nearly every day until I moved out of his house. I decided to move out because I was such an unwelcome loser to my family that my dad hit my mom in front of me. That was just the straw that broke things i didn't care about being his punching bag but, my mom was the last draw.

My parents don't understand that I do in fact have friends. In fact, I have lots of them. I told my mom that I had a large Christian community praying for me during my surgery yesterday. They dont get it because my friends are online. I met my wife online too and my father refused to acknowledge us together or even married for the first 3 years of our marriage or so. Because its ridiculous the way we met and we shouldn't even be friends let alone married. Im just... comfortable with technology and computer science. But... ill always be the stupid idiot son who never goes anywhere. Idk if I shpuld just completely reform who I am or just hide under a rock. I dont know if I can be the physically social success that my parents want me to be. Or well... the world. Even my denomination has to be uncommon its like... ugghh.
Lol. It sounds as if you have an awesome life. Making computers and getting paid for it by the government. Sorry about your parents, but remember, you can't please all the people all the time.

Your mom is right about Windows 7, though. Bill Gates is a eugenicist hell-bent on sterilising the whole world. I wouldn't pay a cent for his rubbish, bug-ridden software, especially so now that he has outed himself as a mass murderer. And Windows 10 is just overbloated spy-ware. But if your mom doesn't care about privacy, couldn't you just share your copy with her?

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Would I be able to take large breaks if an episode happened?

Freelance development, as you say, would allow for this. If you aren't able to freelance in that way a computer repair shop may be able to provide some flexibility for mental health if you talk to them ahead of time.

What I always thought when I was a kid was I could work as a freelance software developer. But ive flunked computer science so many times. My math skills aren't the greatest. I have to get up to Calculus III classes and I cannot pass beginners algebra that most people take in middle school i guess. I was always in special needs classes so I dont think my GED classes went above dividing fractions. And I'd need a refresher on that. I graduated with my GED way back in 2004.

Ah, that's too bad. But who knows? I have a Csci degree with all of the math, but I have found that for most development projects the math isn't needed.

Upvote 0