How does it go? Christ the Sabbath Rest...

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am having an issue here...

1. The Sabbath Rest, instituted by God in the Old Covenant as a day of rest from all physical labor and toil...except for the ministration of the priests, they still had to perform their daily mandates EVERY day, even on the Sabbath.

2. Christ is said to be the fulfillment of the Law, which includes the Sabbath day of rest.

3. Scripture seems to allude to this rest in Christ being "rest from working for eternal life," which seems ludicrous to me because eternal life was never a promise, nor provided for, in the Old Covenant. The OC Sabbath rest had to do with rest from physical work and toil, not working to please God so they could be saved.

4. So my dilemma is this: where does the Sabbath rest from daily toil and physical labor turn into spiritual rest in Christ from "working for salvation?"

I don't see it, does anyone have insight into this?

Thanks, and blessings to all!

Christ fulfilled the Law "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5.
Christ fulfilled the Law "Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 18:18
Christ fulfilled the Law "Honor your Father and Mother" Ex 20:12.

And so must we as Christians - obey the moral law of God.

Those are "prescriptive" laws. They define sin vs obedience and they (along with all the TEN Commandments) are written on heart and mind under the NEW Covenant.

The ceremonial laws were "predictive" predicting the sacrifice of Christ. They were given in animal sacrifices and offerings. That ended at the cross according to Heb 10. But the moral law remains and it includes the TEN Commandments.

The Sabbath was given in Gen 2:1-3 in Eden 1000's of years before Sinai.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0