How does it go? Christ the Sabbath Rest...

S

swordmaster

I am having an issue here...

1. The Sabbath Rest, instituted by God in the Old Covenant as a day of rest from all physical labor and toil...except for the ministration of the priests, they still had to perform their daily mandates EVERY day, even on the Sabbath.

2. Christ is said to be the fulfillment of the Law, which includes the Sabbath day of rest.

3. Scripture seems to allude to this rest in Christ being "rest from working for eternal life," which seems ludicrous to me because eternal life was never a promise, nor provided for, in the Old Covenant. The OC Sabbath rest had to do with rest from physical work and toil, not working to please God so they could be saved.

4. So my dilemma is this: where does the Sabbath rest from daily toil and physical labor turn into spiritual rest in Christ from "working for salvation?"

I don't see it, does anyone have insight into this?

Thanks, and blessings to all!

F

from scratch

1. The Sabbath Rest, instituted by God in the Old Covenant as a day of rest from all physical labor and toil...except for the ministration of the priests, they still had to perform their daily mandates EVERY day, even on the Sabbath.

2. Christ is said to be the fulfillment of the Law, which includes the Sabbath day of rest.

3. Scripture seems to allude to this rest in Christ being "rest from working for eternal life," which seems ludicrous to me because eternal life was never a promise, nor provided for, in the Old Covenant. The OC Sabbath rest had to do with rest from physical work and toil, not working to please God so they could be saved.

4. So my dilemma is this: where does the Sabbath rest from daily toil and physical labor turn into spiritual rest in Christ from "working for salvation?"

I'm with ya on this. Jesus said - Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Was Jesus offering them something they already had? Weren't they supposedly resting every sabbath? Is Jesus just babbling?

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟77,788.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

let's look at the sabbath command:

Exodus 20:8-11 ( NKJV ) 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

part of the sabbath command is to work.

so, we work doing our hustling and bustling daily toil and then we are to rest on the seventh day, which is God's sabbath.

now, it translates into the spiritual, in that, man as a whole is going to rest from his works - works of the flesh (rom 1:29-31, gal 5:19-21, 1 cor 6:9-10), in the millennium.

so, there is a rest for man that the sabbath points to (heb 4:9).

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟194,801.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The following are notes from a lesson that I had previously done.

Part I – The Essence of Sabbath

We determined last week that they were referring to the moral law of God as established in the Decalogue – the Ten Commandments.

Ex 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. KJV

The essence of – the sabbath, is:
1) The acknowledgement of God’s fully sufficient provision for all of our needs (Gen 1:27-2:2, Ex 16) and
2) The acknowledgement of his grace and mercy to us, (which we are to emulate, Gen 3.19, Matt 12.7, Hos 6.6).

Any observance of the sabbath (obedience to the 4th commandment) must be consistent with these necessary bases

Part 2 – The Perpetuity of Sabbath

Ex 31:16-17
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.KJV

Part 2b – The Metamorphosis of Sabbath

Here then we have the command to observe the sabbath – a “perpetual covenant,” a “sign” between God and the “children of Israel.”

Compare this to the biblical command to circumcise – an “everlasting [perpetual] covenant,” a “token [sign]” between God and the seed [children] of Abraham [the father of Isaac, the father of Jacob/Israel]- A command fulfilled in the current dispensation through the sacrament of baptism (Gen 17:11-13, Col 2:8-12).

Part 3 – Is there to be a Christian Sabbath?

Today, as throughout history, the church observes her “sabbath” on the 1st day. How can that be? First, many will point to the examples in Scripture of believers gathering on the 1st day.

John 20:19
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. KJV

John 20:26
26 And after eight days [which would also be a first day of the week] again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. KJV

But does not the 4th commandment itself prescribe that it be observed on the 7th day of the week?

Ex 20:8-11
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. KJV

To the Jew – which day of the week had been previously established.

Ex 16:23
And he said unto them, This [is that] which the LORD hath said, To morrow [is] the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake [that] which ye will bake [to day], and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. (AV)

However, within the command itself, there is no day of the week expressly established as the day upon which the sabbath should be observed. It limits its discussion to identifying that one day in seven is to be committed to God, to commemorate God’s full and adequate provision in the creation (and we also understand, his mercy, in that his provision continues).

But the Jewish Sabbath was observed by Jesus himself.

Lu 4:14-16
“And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.” (AV)

But does this necessitate that we observe the Jewish Sabbath – i.e., the seventh day? No, for Jesus himself told us that there was more to learn than he would teach us before he left.

Joh 16:12-15
“I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.” (AV) Aside – many today point to a lack of specific teaching from Jesus on a matter, to claim that the position of Paul, or another, is without authority.

So, we remain faced with the question, “What is expected of the Christian church relative to a sabbath rest. Is there a precedent established in the text?”

Acts 20:7
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. KJV

1 Cor 16:1-2
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. KJV

Consider also that there is NO OTHER DAY recorded as a day to gather.

Still, it seems the change in the observance of the Sabbath from one day to another would have a reason. And it seems that such a significant change would have a basis discernable within the inspired text. Consider the following:

The Jewish (Saturday) Sabbath commemorates God’s provision, particularly in the task of creation . . .

Ex 20:9 & 11

But what was the general context of the 10 Comandments?

Ex 20:1-2 – Herein lay the context of the full 10 Commandments
“And God spake all these words, saying, I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.” (AV)

But dose this context of deliverance have specific application to the 4th commandment? Moses believed that it did.

De 5:12-15
“Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee. Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou. And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and [that] the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.” (AV)

To the Jewish mind, the observance of the Sabbath day (a day commemorating God’s provision in creation, and God’s mercy in providing), was also intertwined with the concept of deliverance. What then is the Sabbath to be for the Christian?

Our recreation

2Co 5:16-17
“Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we [him] no more. Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” (AV)

1 Peter 1:3-5
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. KJV

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Our deliverance from bondage our redemption (deliverance from our Egypt) . . .

Ex 6:6
“Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I [am] the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments:” (AV)

Gal 4:3-5
“Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.” (AV)

Heb 2:9-15
13 And again, I will put my trust in him [Jesus]. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

reCreation (regeneration) – Mercy – Deliverance

And when did this resurrection occur?

Mark 16:9, Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. NKJV

Upvote 0
S

swordmaster

The following are notes from a lesson that I had previously done...

Interesting, it prompted me to do my own study (which I probably should have done before posting)!

Rest = “šaḇaṯ” = desist from exertion; cease, celebrate, to rest, desist (from labour).

Exodus 23:12
"Six days you shall do your work, but on the seventh day you shall rest; that your ox and your donkey may have rest, and the son of your servant woman, and the alien, may be refreshed.

Work = “melakah” = occupational work / business

Exodus 33:14
And he said, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

Rest = “nûach” = comfort

Deuteronomy 3:20
until the LORD gives rest to your brothers, as to you, and they also occupy the land that the LORD your God gives them beyond the Jordan. Then each of you may return to his possession which I have given you.'

Deuteronomy 12:9-10
for you have not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance that the LORD your God is giving you. 10 But when you go over the Jordan and live in the land that the LORD your God is giving you to inherit, and when he gives you rest from all your enemies around, so that you live in safety,

Joshua 1:13-15
"Remember the word that Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, 'The LORD your God is providing you a place of restand will give you this land.' 14 Your wives, your little ones, and your livestock shall remain in the land that Moses gave you beyond the Jordan, but all the men of valor among you shall pass over armed before your brothers and shall help them, 15 until the LORD gives rest to your brothers as he has to you, and they also take possession of the land that the LORD your God is giving them. Then you shall return to the land of your possession and shall possess it, the land that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you beyond the Jordan toward the sunrise."

Joshua 21:44
And the LORD gave them rest on every side just as he had sworn to their fathers. Not one of all their enemies had withstood them, for the LORD had given all their enemies into their hands.

Psalms 95:11
Therefore I swore in my wrath, "They shall not enter my rest."

Rest = “menuchah” = rest, matrimony (by implication), abode, place.

Matthew 11:28 - 29
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Rest = “anapausontai” = which means inner rest and refreshment, not due to the cessation of work but to the result of the right performance of work.

Hebrews 3:11
As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my rest.'"

Rest = “katapausis” = resting place (metaphorically, God’s heavenly dwelling place).

Hebrews 3:18
And to whom did he swear that they would not enter his rest, but to those who were disobedient?

Rest = “katapausis” = resting place (metaphorically, God’s heavenly dwelling place).

Hebrews 4:1
Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it.

Hebrews 4:3
For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my rest,'" although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Hebrews 4:5
And again in this passage he said, "They shall not enter my rest."

Hebrews 4:8
For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.

Rest = “katapauo” = to lead to a quiet abode, to cause to be at rest.

Hebrews 4:9
So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,

Rest = “sabbatismos” = “keeping Sabbath,” the blessed rest from toils and troubles looked for in the age to come by the true worshippers of God, the intimation is that the Sabbath was instituted as a symbol of that eternal rest.

Hebrews 4:10 - 11
for whoever has entered God's rest(1) has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest(2), so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.

rest(1) = “katapausis” = resting place (metaphorically, God’s heavenly dwelling place).

Rested = “katapauo” = to lead to a quiet abode, to cause to be at rest.

rest(2) = “katapausis” = resting place (metaphorically, God’s heavenly dwelling place).

Revelation 14:13
And I heard a voice from heaven saying, "Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Blessed indeed," says the Spirit, "that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!"

Rest = “anapausontai” = which means inner rest and refreshment, not due to the cessation of work but to the result of the right performance of work.

NO WHERE IN THE NT COULD I FIND WHERE IT IS SAID THAT CHRIST IS THE FULFILLED SABBATH, ONLY THAT HE IS OUR SABBATH REST. THE REST MOSTLY SPOKEN OF IN THE NT IS THAT OF OUR FUTURE HOME IN HEAVEN WITH GOD, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NOT "WORKING" (IE: NOT WALKING IN OBEDIENCE TO GOD).

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟194,801.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
msortwell,

re: "..."And after eight days [which would also be a first day of the week"

Actually, after eight days would be no sooner than the second day of the week.

Good point. Still, many agree with Matthew Henry in his opinion regarding it being the 1st day of the week. If I recall, it has to do with when the Jews believed a new day began - 6 PM or sunset?

John 20:26-31 PP1
We have here an account of another appearance of Christ to his disciples, after his resurrection, when Thomas was now with them. And concerning this we may observe,
I. When it was that Christ repeated his visit to his disciples: After eight days, that day seven-night after he rose, which must therefore be, as that was, the first day of the week. (from Matthew Henry's Commentary)

Upvote 0

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟78,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
msortwell,

re: "...many agree with Matthew Henry in his opinion regarding it being the 1st day of the week."

I would say that Matthew Henry’s opinion is incorrect. If John 20:26 had said: "And after one day His disciples were again inside..." to what day would that be referring?

re: "If I recall, it has to do with when the Jews believed a new day began - 6 PM or sunset?"

I’m afraid I am missing your point. I wonder if you might elaborate.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟194,801.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
msortwell,

re: "...many agree with Matthew Henry in his opinion regarding it being the 1st day of the week."

I would say that Matthew Henry’s opinion is incorrect. If John 20:26 had said: "And after one day His disciples were again inside..." to what day would that be referring?

re: "If I recall, it has to do with when the Jews believed a new day began - 6 PM or sunset?"

I’m afraid I am missing your point. I wonder if you might elaborate.

The first century Jews considered the day to end/begin at sunset. That being the case, the following would be the time line.

John 20:19
19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." (NKJ)

On the first day of the week, the day He rose, before sunset, Jesus stood in the midst of His disciples.

Because, the Jews considered that it became a "different day" at sunset, the Greek text most frequently translated to read similar to the following . . .

26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!" (NKJ)

Was considered, by the NIV translators as the “dynamic equivalent” of the following . . .

26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" (NIV)

The explanation (borrowed from biblescholars.org) goes like this . . .

The Jews do, in fact, count time differently than we do. They basically count their days from 6 pm to 6 pm. In other words, Saturday starts at sun down on Friday and goes until sundown on Saturday. At sundown on Saturday, Sunday or the first day of the week begins and it goes until 6 pm or sundown on Sunday.

The text of John 20:19 says in the evening on day one of Shabbat, or the week, which would be Saturday evening according to the way we reckon time or Sunday according to the Jewish reckoning, Jesus appeared in the middle of his disciples.

Then, in John 20:26, it says that eight days later, He appeared again in the midst of His disciples. So, if you count Saturday evening as the beginning of the first day of the week and count from there, eight days, you would have Saturday evening which would, again be the beginning of the first day of the week.​

Blessings.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if the allusions were to the Adamic curse?

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

I don't particularly have a problem with Jesus talking about it as if the Jewish people were trying to get to heaven through justification by works (actually, by works and faith). Because they were.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

GE:

You “don’t see it” because you are pre-occupied with the works of man on the Sabbath --- do's and do nots.

Think about the Sabbath as GOD'S, "Holy Day" --- "set apart" for GOD'S WORKS OF SAVING GRACE;

See God's REST OF the Sabbath Day ON the Sabbath Day as God's WORK OF the Sabbath Day ON the Sabbath Day AND SEE : "The POWER of Jesus' Resurrection", "by the GLORY OF THE FATHER", "to the WORKING OF THE SPIRIT OF HOLINESS" in operation "declaring Jesus Christ to be The Son of God ... by whom WE, HAVE RECEIVED RECEIVED RECEIVED GRACE GRACE GRACE ... for obedience to the FAITH FAITH FAITH" of Jesus Christ, which shall be reckoned us for our work of our rest OF and ON the Sabbath Day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

57Logos

May 21, 2011
✟7,677.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Under the Old Covenant/Testament, the daily worship was center around the Temple in Jerusalem. But when Jesus came the first time He brought with Him the New Covenant/Testament and with this He could claim to be "...one greater than the Temple." Matthew 12:6 For Jesus was God Himself coming as a messenger to His Temple (Malachi 3:1). Jesus deals with the matter of the Sabbath in Matthew 11:28-12:8, while the writer of Hebrews also deals with this in Hebrews 3-4.

Whereas Paul deals with it some in Galatians and Colossians. Paul speaking to the Galatians tell them that he was afraid of them, because they wanted to turn again to the weak and beggarly elements that is observing days, months, years, times (Galatians 4:8-10. The Apostle to the Gentiles also stated: "16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17) Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. Colossians 2:16-17
What I believe that Paul is stating is that every part of the Old Testament or Old Covenant and the Temple is a shadow of Christ who has a bride that is the Church or His Body (I Corinthians 12:11-31; Ephesians 5:22-33). We than the Church are His living Temple for the Holy Spirit indwell us (I Corinthians 3:16-17; I Corinthians 6:19-20). And we as members of the Body of Christ cannot and must not try to find are true rest in a day, but in the finished Work of Christ on the Cross/Stake on that great Passover Day (John 19:30; I Corinthians 5:7) and even more so on the True Resurrection Sunday (I Corinthians 15:3-4).

For the Law/OC was a shadow of good things to come (Hebrews 10:1), in Christ Jesus NC/NT/or Law of Liberty (Galatians 5:13-14). For in Christ Jesus sacrifice, we now no longer need any other sacrifice to be perfected (Hebrews 10:14, 18). By accepting this gift of grace (Romans 5:16-21), we become part of the Body/His Temple who rest in His Finish Work (Hebrews 4:10), but by resting from our work, we now are to labour in the love of God which is given to us by the Holy Ghost (Roman 5:5). For godly love is the work of faith (Galatians 5:6; I Thessalonians 1:3; Hebrews 6:10). Paul refer to this in Ephesians 2:8-10.

Hope that help you some Swordmaster, I apologize about the long post.

Upvote 0
L

Lamb's Wife

Actually your point #3 is where you can find your answer.

In fact, The Everlasting Covenant God made with Abraham was Eternal Life. It was the "Birthright". Of which the law of moses didn't affect in any way.

Jesus was raised up the Seed of Abraham, in which the Eternal Life of the Everlasting Covenant was brought to light. I'm assuming you are a Bible student and know the references.

So yes, we don't "work" at salvation as under the law, of which "works" were worthless anyway, as only those identical with the "Faith of Abraham" has been, is, and always will be the only Salvation for anyone.

You can also read how that the "rest" wasn't fulfilled under Joshua. As in Heb 4, we are now in the true Rest, when we "enter into the land of promise" the New Jerusalem Heavenly Country in Christ, Now, To Day :)

This is how it works :)
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree(Gal 3:13):
We see from this verse we are out from under the law of Moses and the observance of the laws of the Sabbath. If you put yourself back under the law you must obey it all perfectly and pay the penalty for any infractions. Who would want to move from the New Covenant back to the Old Covenant?

Upvote 0

Sum1sGruj

May 9, 2011
On Life's Orb
✟716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Many Christians commonly mistake the OC as being replaced, when it was actually completed. Jesus removed us from the curse, as in it's disciplinary counterparts and material cleansing. What it dictates as sin is still sin.

And obeying the Sabbath is part of the Ten Commandments, which are quite literally set in stone forever. Jesus even said to keep them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

James Forthwright

Wielder of the Sword
Aug 22, 2009
Distressed States of America
✟8,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Many Christians commonly mistake the OC as being replaced, when it was actually completed. Jesus removed us from the curse, as in it's disciplinary counterparts and material cleansing. What it dictates as sin is still sin.

And obeying the Sabbath is part of the Ten Commandments, which are quite literally set in stone forever. Jesus even said to keep them.

Some good points! The Sabbath was instituted by God as a BLESSING for His beloved children and not a curse. I enjoy 'keeping the Sabbath holy' every week from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday evening. As with the other nine commandments, the Sabbath remains perpetually etched in stone by our Heavenly Father. Follow Jesus' example!

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Mat 11:28-30

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

let's look at the sabbath command:

Exodus 20:8-11 ( NKJV ) 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

part of the sabbath command is to work.

so, we work doing our hustling and bustling daily toil and then we are to rest on the seventh day, which is God's sabbath.

now, it translates into the spiritual, in that, man as a whole is going to rest from his works - works of the flesh (rom 1:29-31, gal 5:19-21, 1 cor 6:9-10), in the millennium.

so, there is a rest for man that the sabbath points to (heb 4:9).
Seems to me that you imply without intention that we work for our salvation 6 days a week.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Some good points! The Sabbath was instituted by God as a BLESSING for His beloved children and not a curse. I enjoy 'keeping the Sabbath holy' every week from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday evening. As with the other nine commandments, the Sabbath remains perpetually etched in stone by our Heavenly Father. Follow Jesus' example!
Would yoy care to discuss how you keep the sabbath according to the Bible?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by James Forthwright Some good points! The Sabbath was instituted by God as a BLESSING for His beloved children and not a curse. I enjoy 'keeping the Sabbath holy' every week from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday evening. As with the other nine commandments, the Sabbath remains perpetually etched in stone by our Heavenly Father. Follow Jesus' example!
Would yoy care to discuss how you keep the sabbath according to the Bible?
I would like to know that myself :)

Upvote 0