How do you like to dress for church?

How do you like to dress for church?

• I dress formally or "business casual." I believe we should look our best for the Lord.

• I wear very casual clothes, but I make sure they are clean and in good repair.

• I don't care what I wear to church, even if it has stains or rips.

• Other. I'll explain in the thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟850,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trying your best is more important than looking your best. If the homeless man's filthy rags were the best he could do, it's good enough.

I agree, plus the added thought that for him, filthy rags *are* looking his best. If he had better, he'd wear better, wouldn't he?

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's a really sad story (in the OP) :(

I dress up for church, but that's my own choice, - if someone doesn't have the "proper" clothes, I think they should still come and be welcomed in Church. I think basically, everyone should wear the best that they are able to, because it's for God, not for man. If their best is rags, then they should still be welcomed.

Another important issue is modesty... I think it's better to wear something simple and modest, then a fancy dress that's immodest. I think that as Christians we should always be modest but especially so in church.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

In my congregation, it TOTALLY doesn't matter....

I'm NOW one to dress up just a bit. At work (where jeans are the norm), I wear nice pants (maybe Khakis), and a nice, usually long-sleave dress shirt, and while not hard leather dress shoes (usually), not athletic shoes either. I'm one of the nicer dressed workers in our office.

I wear the same for church, except with a tie and probably dress shoes.

Now, around the house, it's shorts. No shoes, no shirt. Kickin' around, it may not be much else (well, t-shirt unless it's down to the beach or around there). But when I'm at work, I want to dress professionally. At church, I want to be respectful. On dates, I want to look my best.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Because of my working hours, and also by preference, I normally attend our evening service, which is youth-oriented (though all ages come), with a praise & worship band, and 'come as you are' casual. If I were to dress up for it, I would be the one drawing attention to myself. :blush:

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"A group from church, out soul-winning, had encountered a very poor man who dressed in rags. He was eager for the message, but they told him he could not come to church dressed like that. Did he have friends who could loan him a suit and tie? He did not, so he was not welcome to attend church, much to his disappointment."

And it was probably a Good thing that he didn't get into that "church" - since it obviously wasn't one.

Texas, of course, tends to be casual, and since I'm a Deacon, I'll generally wear clean clothes for Sunday morning - shirt and pants. I don't shave since I wear a full beard and mustache. But for the other 2-3 weekly get togethers, I just wear work clothes. My Wife says I'm a "Hillbilly". I think she's right.

AN Usher at our place who acted in such a blatantly non-Christian manner would be an EX-usher as soon as we found out about it.

I think if they were so anxious to see him dressed "properly," they should have offered to buy him a suit.

But THAT, of course, would have required them to "Act" Christian, and considering the condition of their "church" - not likely.

Upvote 0
There is a thread in Christian Advice in which the OP told a sad story. A group from church, out soul-winning, had encountered a very poor man who dressed in rags. He was eager for the message, but they told him he could not come to church dressed like that. Did he have friends who could loan him a suit and tie? He did not, so he was not welcome to attend church, much to his disappointment.

That is horrible! We should wear the best that we have whilst remaining modest as regards both wealth and flesh on display! If that means the only clothes that you possess, so be it.

Personally, I wear a jacket, button down shirt, trousers (not jeans) and clean shoes, but no one should be left out of the Lord's house for sake of poverty. :sigh:

Oh, and first proper post here so hi all. :cool:

Upvote 0

washedagain

Resting in the Palm of His Hand
Jul 11, 2011
Austin Tx
✟16,154.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi CL,

You wrote: If one is willing to dress up for a meeting with someone of high stature, how much more should one dress to meet their King?

If that's the measure then I'd have to wear a suit and tie 24/7. I meet my Lord every day. Most closely in my morning prayer time. Guess I'll have to start getting out of bed and dressing better.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

LOL.... I was thinking about when I meet Jesus in the shower... I guess I need to wear my nicest in the shower!

This is my stance.. I see no evidence in the bible of the first followers of Christ dressing up to meet with Him. I further see nothing in the book of acts, after Jesus' assention that there were requirements or dress codes when they came together in fellowship, worship, teaching and praise.

I believe we should be modest as the bible says but I read nothing of dressing up.

I guess it is ok if it is just me and Jesus in the shower though... that is usually my best time to talk with Him and sing praises... I sound good in the shower. Go figure.;)

Upvote 0

washedagain

Resting in the Palm of His Hand
Jul 11, 2011
Austin Tx
✟16,154.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a bit "Old School" in that it bothers me to see someone minister the word of God from the Pulpit wearing jeans and a polo shirt. I think the pulpit is one of the Holyest places on earth. We should have more respect for it, more than dressing like were going to the mall.

Pat

This is interesting..

does it "bother" you because God is opposed to it

or

does it "bother" you because you have self created a belief and made yourself the measuring stick?

I am not trying to be rude or argumentative... I just want to think this through... why do we have such prejudices and where do they originate from? Us or God? And if they are from us, could it be that we are off the mark a bit?

When I start to get judgemental about such things, I need to go to my source of truth.... God, His word and look to the church in acts and see how they behaved and thought.

I simply do see anything in the NT church that indicates that they got all spiffy when they came together.

If one is busy looking around at what other people are wearing, this might be a sign that you are focusing on wrong thing at church.

(not you personally, but using the "you" word collectively)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm a bit "Old School" in that it bothers me to see someone minister the word of God from the Pulpit wearing jeans and a polo shirt. I think the pulpit is one of the Holyest places on earth. We should have more respect for it, more than dressing like were going to the mall.

Pat

Hence the use of vestments. It covers the earthly appearance and distraction from the congregation.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
My vote was "Other" because I personally believe one should look his/her best for Christ. I personally like to wear dresses or skirts on Sunday mornings (and occasionally a nice slacks/top combo when it's quite chilly). However I see people dressed a variety of different ways at the church I attend. Some are dressed up, some look nice in whatever they're wearing while not particularly what one would call "dressed up", and some look like they could stand to fix up a little more. Of course, I understand that some people have health and/or money issues, and may be unable to accommodate for their needs they way they probably would like to, and my heart goes out to them. But I also know there are people who do have the means, and just don't want to bother. It's their business, I guess, but I figure that if one is able to dress a little bit nicer than they usually do during the week, it couldn't hurt anything to do so. Just my opinion.

On the flipside (for those of us who do dress up), it's important that we are doing it solely for the Lord, and not for the purpose of flaunting ourselves or having popularity contests on "who is the most fashionable"; it's also important that we try not to become snobby to those who may appear not to be dressed as well, no matter what their reason may be, because if someone were to come into a church for the first time, may not have salvation (or a mere babe in the Lord) and the person gets treated like dirt, well, what kind of a witness is that?

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

I also used to attend a non-denom church that was great but they wouldn't allow the homeless to come in. They had guards at the doors even. I asked and they said they didn't want homeless coming in for the "Free coffee".

Guards at the door of a church? That's a new one one me. I mean, sometimes a homeless person is needing more than just "free coffee". They need love and the plan of salvation given to them, too. But how can that happen if they're not even so much as let in the door?

Upvote 0

docpotter

Too blessed to be stressed
Jul 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I dress up for church . I think people should just out of decency . But if someone is poor and can't dress nice that is understandable .

Its some coincidence how mostly every Sunday the devil puts a smoking hot girl RIGHT in front of me ! lol

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I dress up for church . I think people should just out of decency . But if someone is poor and can't dress nice that is understandable .

Its some coincidence how mostly every Sunday the devil puts a smoking hot girl RIGHT in front of me ! lol
What about situations like mine, where the norm at the service you attend is "come as you are" casual, and dressing up beyond that would draw attention to yourself?

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟850,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm also wondering about the definition of "smoking hot." Is she dressed (I hope not) immodestly? By which I mean, not merely revealing, but maybe flashy or skin-tight. Some people confuse the concept of dressing up for church, with the concept of dressing up for a cocktail party. Once at our church we had a single young female guest arrive in a strapless knee-length prom dress and stilleto heels. Not what I would call proper church attire, but apparently this was how she pictured "dressing up." (Nobody criticized, that I know of, and I hope nobody did at all. Just the same as a person shouldn't be criticized who shows up in jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers.)

Similarly, when I was a business major in college, the school had a policy that every Wednesday was professional dress day. Students were required to wear the uniform or attire pertaining to their major. For us business majors, that meant suits and ties for the men, and blazers, skirts, and pumps for the women. (It was the 1980's.) Here again, it wasn't uncommon for freshmen to overdress on Wednesdays, because they didn't know the difference between business and formal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

docpotter

Jul 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What about situations like mine, where the norm at the service you attend is "come as you are" casual, and dressing up beyond that would draw attention to yourself?
Wow that is different . Most in my church dress nicely , and to also reply to Lovebirds , I would say just a "very pretty" girl sits in front of me most weeks, never the same one lol.

But there is this one girl ( not attractive really ) that dresses like a total ho lol , every week , and I don't mean to judge her , but that is kind of uncalled for ya know ?

Upvote 0

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
I picked the "I would explain in the thread" option because even though I believe we should look our best and put forth effort, looks aren't everything.

Growing up in an all-girl household (except for my dad) every Sunday morning you would always find us upstairs digging in our closet, trying to find something we wanted to wear. (I had a closet full, you would think I could find something?) And one Sunday my dad goes, God doesn't care what you wear to church.

It's true. It's not that He doesn't "care" but that His love isn't dependent on if we have the most stylish outfits when we worship Him. His joy is in where our hearts are when we are worshipping Him.great question

Upvote 0

docpotter

Jul 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I picked the "I would explain in the thread" option because even though I believe we should look our best and put forth effort, looks aren't everything.

Growing up in an all-girl household (except for my dad) every Sunday morning you would always find us upstairs digging in our closet, trying to find something we wanted to wear. (I had a closet full, you would think I could find something?) And one Sunday my dad goes, God doesn't care what you wear to church.

It's true. It's not that He doesn't "care" but that His love isn't dependent on if we have the most stylish outfits when we worship Him. His joy is in where our hearts are when we are worshipping Him.great question
That's very true Pink . The Pastor in the bigger church I go to sometimes said , " God wants you to come to church , and He doesn't care how you dress . "

But I don't think a grown man should wear an old dirty hoodie and sweat pants when he actually has good clothes to wear , I dunno maybe I'm old school : )

Upvote 0

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
That's very true Pink . The Pastor in the bigger church I go to sometimes said , " God wants you to come to church , and He doesn't care how you dress . "

But I don't think a grown man should wear an old dirty hoodie and sweat pants when he actually has good clothes to wear , I dunno maybe I'm old school : )

Doc, where have you been hiding?lol.. If thinking one should take pride in their appearance is old school, then I guess I'm old school too : )

God has made everyone beautiful I really believe that. Thinking you are anything less is a disservice to who God made you to be, and a criticism of our Lord. He wants you to delight in that. So yes, nice clothes should be worn to church. We want to encourage everyone to look their best. But emphasis on appearance should be taken with a grain of salt. I know a lot of members, and yes I'll go ahead and say it, the elderly. I call them "church ladies" like to chit chat. "Did you see what so and so was wearing today?oh my.."

When we get to a point where judgement is based on how someone looks, that is just wrong. There is a lot more to a person, and they may also be going thru a rough time. In youth group there was always a family who wore mainly t-shirts to church. Their family had a strain on finances, so they should be encouraged to come to church, as they need it the most if they are going through a rough time. It's a sad day when something like this gets in the way of God's children coming to know Him in fellowship with other believers.

Upvote 0

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
I have one other thing to say and I will shut up after this : )

In high school our youth group went on a mission trip to honduras. It was 2 weeks long. We built a house for a family in need (they were incredibly grateful) donated items in neighborhoods to family's in need, participated in free medical clinics, etc. It was a great experience. I have a god daughter from that trip : ) It hurts my heart that I probably will never see her or her family again, but in heaven.

Anyway, after "roughing it" in a 3rd world country, yet coming back spiritually charged, the mission group all went out for dinner at a really nice restaurant when we came back. We were all exhausted, waiting in the lobby for our table. Sitting there, looking at the packed restaurant we looked around us, in our t-shirts and bandanas, at a bunch of superficial people who care about looks... a lot. I know that is a judgement on my part, but it's pretty obvious. It just really hit me right there. Being a girl I was always into shopping and fashion. That experience alone changed me. I realized, that wasn't how I wanted to live my life. Caring so much how I looked. True beauty really is on the inside. If someones going to judge me, I'd rather it be on something that matters.

Sitting there, in my jeans and t-shirt, watching the world around me, I went back to the family we met in honduras. They understood what *true* joy was. Their gratitude ran so deep. Deeper than hardly anyone I had ever met in the states. What you have won't make you happy if it's completely hollow. God fulfills your life and once you have that you know what's truly important.

Upvote 0