Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Subjectively speaking, when the sun sets in your area, how long does it take for total darkness to set in?
Hard to say, I don't keep a precise track of it and I live in a city full of artificial light.

Why do you ask?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟306,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You need to go back and review the page in question (carefully) as to what would happen IF the earth were rotating;

Oh it is, and i have measured it myself.
the fact that aviation exists proves that the earth is not rotating.
No. That aviation exists (and frankly that my house exists) is evidence that the atmosphere rotates with the surface.
The ball on the bus is not a relevant analogy because the ball does not leave the moving frame.
I would suggest you actually try to understand Gallilean relativity.
In the case of north-to-south or south-to-north aviation or a component thereof, there is a change in tangential velocity that would otherwise render a landing impossible, hence the merry-go-round analogy on that page.
The Coriolis forces on the plane (or your car, or the ball, for that matter) from the Earth being a rotating reference frame can be and have been computed. (I've probably done them myself at some point for a class.) We know what they are and how much compensation is needed.

As far as the flat earth model is concerned, the arguments are out there. Do your research.
I have. Flat earth is nonsense.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟280,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The flat earth model is being promoted because it demonstrates reality.
I'll use my telescope example from another thread which was conveniently ignored by flat earthers because it couldn't be refuted.

1689011927553.png

The telescope is mounted on a clock driven equatorial fork mount to track the apparent motion of stars.
To work properly the polar axis passing through the arm of the mount must be aligned to the Earth's axis of rotation.
When the telescope is pointed straight up the declination reading illustrated must correspond to the latitude at where the telescope is located.

1689012057224.png
In this case the latitude is -37⁰ 45’.

For your flat model to represent reality you need to answer the following questions.

(1) Explain how the mount polar axis works in a flat earth model; what are you aligning the mount's polar axis to?
(2) Explain how pointing the telescope straight up gives the latitude at where the telescope is located on the Earth's surface.
If the Earth is flat this value will be the same anywhere on the surface.
(3) Explain why does the mount require to be clock driven which rotates the telescope around the polar axis of the mount when you claim Earth doesn't rotate.
A flat Earth with a rotating sky like the Ptolemaic model would make it impossible for a clock driven equatorial mount to track the stars.

It's over to you to explain how the mount can work in a flat Earth model; references to the Bible are not answers.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
Not blindly, it's a result of many years of success stories where vaccines have improved our lives and protected us from viruses.

those other vaccines do not make this vaccine good

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟932,220.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
those other vaccines do not make this vaccine good
Not at all, but it does explain the trust that the doctors and scientists who develop and test vaccines have earned.

I don't believe this ...
I don't know what to tell you... I don't keep an accurate track of the exact time.

I have a better idea of the sunrise where it's full dark at 6am, still too dark to safely start work at 7:00 and dim, but dealable at 7:30.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟932,220.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
As I said earlier, it's earned trust, not blind faith.

Without modern medicine, myself (and I suspect many other people on this forum), would be be dead.

Something can be tested and reliable without being flawless and perfect.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟932,220.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
you can't earn trust for a vaccine
Yeah, you really can.

The development of vaccines has saved literally millions of lives.

Viruses in the past have caused the destruction of entire cultures.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,398.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The flat earth model is being promoted because it demonstrates reality.
Why can't you see the Southern Cross from your back garden? And why can't I see the North star from mine?

And a bonus question...

When you look at the moon as it rises and when I do the same, why is my view upside down compared to you?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟932,220.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
we’re not talking about “vaccines”

we’re talking about “a vaccine”
This may come a shock to you, but "a vaccine" is a part of "vaccines".

Covid 19 is a very real virus as dangerous as most flu variants and vastly more contagious... the vaccines (plural) have been a literal life saver.

• Agree
Upvote 0