Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bro, not every post has to be a debate. These moons are old, but these are more moons added to the list of moons that we know about in the solar system.

Okie dokie, Alex.

I made a point.

Looks like it isn't a very popular one though.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okie dokie, Alex.

I made a point.

Looks like it isn't a very popular one though.
Thank you brother. I get your point, but I posted in the science thread, my friend. :) We may have differing interpretations of the world, but regardless of if the moons are 4.5 billion years old or not, it goes to show how amazing God's Creation is. Just think, while we are typing away on this forum, or having dinner, billions of miles away, massive, icy rocks a few miles across are engaged in a slow ballad with some distant planets.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for your OP @AlexB23. Its refreshing to actually see enthusiasm for a science focus around these forums.
We may have differing interpretations of the world, but regardless of if the moons are 4.5 billion years old or not, it goes to show how amazing God's Creation is.
Let's not accidentally step over praising the hard work done by the minds of astronomers and the teams of dedicated scientists and engineers who spent years developing the Magellan and Subaru telescopes too, eh(?) Without their perseverance, we would have remained in ignorance of the existence of these objects. The inspiration you mention in the latter part of your post, (below), would not have been unleashed without it.

Praising 'God's creation', really is asking for praise of the belief way of giving the term 'existence' an updated meaning and by perpetuating ignorance, (ie: by maintaining the status quo of beliefs), instead of finding out what's really out there, (IMHO).
Science's way of generating inspiration represents the unique opportunity to break free from the cycle of beliefs and propagating willful ignorance.

Cheers

Just think, while we are typing away on this forum, or having dinner, billions of miles away, massive, icy rocks a few miles across are engaged in a slow ballad with some distant planets.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your OP @AlexB23. Its refreshing to actually see enthusiasm for a science focus around these forums.

Let's not accidentally step over praising the hard work done by the minds of astronomers and the teams of dedicated scientists and engineers who spent years developing the Magellan and Subaru telescopes too, eh(?) Without their perseverance, we would have remained in ignorance of the existence of these objects. The inspiration you mention in the latter part of your post, (below), would not have been unleashed without it.

Praising 'God's creation', really is asking for praise of the belief way of giving the term 'existence' an updated meaning and by perpetuating ignorance, (ie: by maintaining the status quo of beliefs), instead of finding out what's really out there, (IMHO).
Science's way of generating inspiration represents the unique opportunity to break free from the cycle of beliefs and propagating ignorance.

Cheers
You are welcome. Well, I am trying to please both the science enthusiasts and the Protestant Christians here, as I am a Catholic guy who is fascinated by science since age 7-8 or so and switched from Protestant to Catholic since 2022. The engineers of the telescopes, as well as the dozens of scientists who work on these astronomy teams are to be thanked as well. Today, I watched a video about how scientists flew the Concorde at Mach 2 to chase the shadow of the solar eclipse for 70-80 minutes. The ingenuity behind that project allowed us to figure out how the solar corona (stellar atmosphere) worked. This is an article about the eclipse chasing supersonic plane: How the supersonic Concorde jet broke the record for the longest total solar eclipse in history

For me, the reason I like science is because it is fascinating and relates to Psalm 111:2. That verse says: "Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them." This verse expresses admiration for God's great creation and works. Scientists engage with these works through their research and discovery. Faith and science complement each other, as both can acknowledge God's presence and power in the natural world. Scientific inquiry can be driven by a belief in a deeper meaning to the universe and a recognition of God's involvement. The verse affirms that studying God's works deepens our appreciation for and connection to the Lord. :)

I get a bit of flak here on CF from Christians here who think the Earth is flat, the sky is glass and that anthropogenic global warming (AGW) isn't a thing. I tell them to read Psalm 111:2, and to be good stewards of the Earth, instead of listening to Big Oil and Fox "Faux" News.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hope not, lest thou be hoped.
It is 2024, not 1624, we do not use "thou" as much anymore, so I will translate your quote into the 21st century: "Avoid hoping, because then others may have expectations for you too." :)

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
You are welcome. Well, I am trying to please both the science enthusiasts and the Protestant Christians here, as I am a Catholic guy who is fascinated by science since age 7-8 or so and switched from Protestant to Catholic since 2022. The engineers of the telescopes, as well as the dozens of scientists who work on these astronomy teams are to be thanked as well. Today, I watched a video about how scientists flew the Concorde at Mach 2 to chase the shadow of the solar eclipse for 70-80 minutes. The ingenuity behind that project allowed us to figure out how the solar corona (stellar atmosphere) worked. This is an article about the eclipse chasing supersonic plane: How the supersonic Concorde jet broke the record for the longest total solar eclipse in history

For me, the reason I like science is because it is fascinating and relates to Psalm 111:2. That verse says: "Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them." This verse expresses admiration for God's great creation and works. Scientists engage with these works through their research and discovery. Faith and science complement each other, as both can acknowledge God's presence and power in the natural world. Scientific inquiry can be driven by a belief in a deeper meaning to the universe and a recognition of God's involvement. The verse affirms that studying God's works deepens our appreciation for and connection to the Lord. :)

I get a bit of flak here on CF from Christians here who think the Earth is flat, the sky is glass and that anthropogenic global warming (AGW) isn't a thing. I tell them to read Psalm 111:2, and to be good stewards of the Earth, instead of listening to Big Oil and Fox "Faux" News.
One's belief in God produces nothing of relevance in the proper astronomical investigation of orbiting bodies.

The admission of beliefs, when investigating the unknown, is detrimental to the integrity of the scientific method (eg: Galileo's persecution).

The investigation of the formation of the Universe and its behaviours, via observation and inference, significantly accelerated the accumulation of human knowledge on the objective reality topic. The process included deliberate neutralisation of long-held beliefs.

Cheers

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One's belief in God produces nothing of relevance in the proper astronomical investigation of orbiting bodies.

The admission of beliefs, when investigating the unknown, is detrimental to the integrity of the scientific method (eg: Galileo's persecution).

The investigation of the formation of the Universe and its behaviours, via observation and inference, significantly accelerated the accumulation of human knowledge on the objective reality topic. The process included deliberate neutralisation of long-held beliefs.
Yeah, Galileo should have never been persecuted. But for me, it is still enjoyable to learn science, while remaining a Catholic. I am an old-Earth creationist who trusts in the Big Bang, as Georges Lemâitre, a priest, theorized Big Bang theory in 1920s along with Edwin Hubble, showing that universe had a point in time when it formed. But yeah, when it comes down to orbiting bodies in space, it is gravity. In the past, scientists thought that light passed through a medium known as ether, but we know now that light needs no medium, as it can travel through a vacuum at nearly 300,000 km/s.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, Galileo should have never been persecuted.

Did you know that while Galileo was under house arrest, he completed two of his most important scientific works?

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you know that while Galileo was under house arrest, he completed two of his most important scientific works?
Yeah, I think I had a book on tape about Galileo as a 10 year old. So, his house arrest lead to a better understanding of our universe and engineering. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I think I had a book on tape about Galileo as a 10 year old. So, his house arrest lead to a better understanding of our universe and engineering. :)

BUT ... a better understanding of engineering isn't a guarantee that human nature, in the form of "love of money," won't intervene.

And believe you me, I can post many pictures of what I'm talking about.

I'll just post one though, with a tough rhetorical question:

Is "better understanding of engineering" a guarantee that this won't happen?

1713275450807.jpeg

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BUT ... a better understanding of engineering isn't a guarantee that human nature, in the form of "love of money," won't intervene.

And believe you me, I can post many pictures of what I'm talking about.

I'll just post one though, with a tough rhetorical question:

Is "better understanding of engineering" a guarantee that this won't happen?

View attachment 345981
True, engineers are told to balance out cost with durability. It is a shame that cost sometimes comes first before safety (ahem, 35W bridge, Boeing 737 max, and the bridge collapse depicted in this photo). So yes, greed gets in the way sometimes, and the engineer has his/her hands tied.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,437.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is 2024, not 1624, we do not use "thou" as much anymore, so I will translate your quote into the 21st century: "Avoid hoping, because then others may have expectations for you too." :)
Correct not, lest thou be corrected.
Translate not, lest thou be translated.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟243,586.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Gosh, I never realised Galileo was under house arrest when he was only 10! :)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Correct not, lest thou be corrected.

^_^

Science has "corrected" itself more times in history than I have posts.

Your remark is absolute 100% solid gold !!!

I'm tempted to put it in my signature.

But I won't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,063.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Science has "corrected" itself more times in history than I have posts.
Thats actually great for science.

If science was running in circles "earth is flat, earth is a globe, earth is flat, earth is a globe...." then such "correcting" would be bad. But a frequent correction in the meaning of development is a great sign and exactly what we need science to do.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thats actually great for science.

No argument there.

But science refuses to humble itself under the mighty hand of God.

Science, instead of admitting it is wrong, will admit it "isn't quite right."

That's why a student in high school in 1970 can get a good grade for drawing a solar system with nine planets; and a student in 2020 can get a good grade for drawing a solar system with eight.

If science was running in circles "earth is flat, earth is a globe, earth is flat, earth is a globe...." then such "correcting" would be bad.

I find it hard to believe most scientists in the past believed the earth was flat.

Instead, I believe that Adam taught the earth was round, and when Satan took control of academia with his muses, academia started teaching it was flat on principle.

Just to spite God.

Ditto for geocentrism.

But a frequent correction in the meaning of development is a great sign and exactly what we need science to do.

No argument there.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,063.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Science, instead of admitting it is wrong, will admit it "isn't quite right."
A weird generalization. Science has so many areas, from nutrition to IT to botany that such broad statements do not have much meaning.

And when you focus on a specific field, you will find so many debates, studies criticism etc. that your statement looses even more ground.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A weird generalization. Science has so many areas, from nutrition to IT to botany that such broad statements do not have much meaning.

Do you know what consilience is?

It means "guilt by association."

And when you focus on a specific field, you will find so many debates, studies criticism etc. that your statement looses even more ground.

Yes, that's called peer review.

Ever play "king of the mountain" at recess?

Upvote 0