Jan 28, 2002
✟2,943,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"Keep your nose clean and you'll be fine" basically advocates staying out of trouble/remaining innocent of any wrongdoing, etc., if you want to have success in life's various endeavors.

I'm not sure what a "clean nose" is actually in reference to however, unless it means keeping one's nose out of other people's business :scratch: (though the context that I've seen/heard it used in would hardly support that particular definition).

Last edited:
Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,251,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Heavens to Betsy!" An exclamation equivalent to "My goodness!" used when I was growing up.
"I'm so angry I could spit chicklets!" - my mom.
"Oopsie daisy!" - declared by my great-aunts when I fell down as a kid.

And if my mom would sneeze, she'd say "Bless me!" I adopted that approach for a long time. It wasn't till I was way older that I realized that "Bless you" was common after someone sneezed, but for the one sneezing to say "bless me" really wasn't.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,251,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh, and my mom, in spite of being a staunch Catholic, when she was exasperated about something, would not only use the Lord's name in vain, she'd include his mom and dad for good measure: "Oh Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!"

Meanwhile, one of my great-aunts's alternatives to "oh my goodness" would be, "Oh good night!" And if she thought something was baloney, she'd say "Oh, foooey!"

I really miss my great-aunts! :)

• Haha
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟923,120.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
"Heavens to Betsy!
" An exclamation equivalent to "My goodness!" used when I was growing up.

And if my mom would sneeze, she'd say "Bless me!" I adopted that approach for a long time. It wasn't till I was way older that I realized that "Bless you" was common after someone sneezed, but for the one sneezing to say "bless me" really wasn't.

09b1f34dbcad4b38af68956970a5fc2d.jpg

:)

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Heavens to Betsy!" An exclamation equivalent to "My goodness!" used when I was growing up.

I've used "Oopsie daisy" and "Bless me" before.

Oh, and my mom, in spite of being a staunch Catholic, when she was exasperated about something, would not only use the Lord's name in vain, she'd include his mom and dad for good measure: "Oh Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!"
I once heard someone (don't remember who) talk about how people always use God's name in vain, but not, for example, Buddha's. Followed by someone else adopting the catchphrase, "Oh my Buddha!"

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟377,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Can be used in many situations, but just means that you're more successful being pleasant, than being disagreeable.

One I heard from my grandmother: "People who brag about their ancestors are like potatoes. The best part of them is underground." ^_^

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"You're name is Mudd!"

It means you are disreputable. Mudd was the doctor who patched up John Wilkes Booth after he killed Lincoln.
That's an urban legend. The phrase was in use by the 1820s.

Upvote 0