Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, absolutely. To reverse the decline, it has become relevant to peoples' lives again.
In my experience, people are put off by the corruption, being told who to vote for and who to hate, and that every cultural fad is caused by demons. They need to focus on messages of hope, humility, and forgiveness.

You pretty much nailed it here. Christianity became weaponized by the Right to use against the counter-culture and social liberation movements of the 60's and 70's.

I don't suspect it will ever be less political, but I suspect it will change tactics because politicians won't be able to openly cater to Christians as the numbers of nones increase. Their goal isn't to be less upsetting to non-Christians, it's to have people in the pews when the collection plate goes around.

I suspect as the younger generations phase out the older, Christianity will be re imagined and before you know it, they will be the ones proudly announcing that it was Christianity that fought for the acceptance of the LGBTQ community.

That's my fear, and why I left my church denomination (ELCA). Despite their relative liberalism on the issue (they permit a plurality of perspectives), there has not been a "Truth and Reconciliation" moment, and much of the language of their statements on sexuality, official and otherwise, is setting up just the sort of scenario you imagine. That is a betrayal of the historical memory of all LGBT people that were harmed by the religion.

I have had so many LGBT friends and had to counsel enough young people that I just realized the Church hasn't begun to account for the pain and suffering it inflicted on that community. The worst thing is many liberal Christian institutions simply want to engage in revisionist history and make themselves look like the good guys for doing so.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I suspect the future of US Christianity will be whatever emerges in Africa and other areas where Christianity is on the rise. The original US Christian sects will shrink to irrelevance, but maybe African missionaries will plant their new Christian sects in the US. Catholicism has been successful in Africa and many of the Pentecostal denominations have also been successful. So Catholicism and Pentecostalism will probably be the future of US Christianity. Maybe the replanted African versions of these denominations will have some African cultural features in the music and architecture and art.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I suspect the future of US Christianity will be whatever emerges in Africa and other areas where Christianity is on the rise. The original US Christian sects will shrink to irrelevance, but maybe African missionaries will plant their new Christian sects in the US. Catholicism has been successful in Africa and many of the Pentecostal denominations have also been successful. So Catholicism and Pentecostalism will probably be the future of US Christianity. Maybe the replanted African versions of these denominations will have some African cultural features in the music and architecture and art.
Given the monolithic nature of Roman Catholicism, that might not hold in their case, but it is already reality that Africans are sending missionaries to the USA and also have planted a number of congregations here.

Nor is it the case that these congregations are just for immigrants from the home country.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I have my doubts about Catholicism.
The Catholic Church has been paying out one billion dollars (with a "b") every ten years for the last forty years on child abuse by priests settlements. Eventually Catholics are going to start thinking twice about donating money to cover the Church's legal expenses. Eventually.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I wouldn't count on Christianity, or religion in general, making a resurgence in North America or Europe, short of some kind of disaster or calamity destroying our civilization.

• Agree
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,148,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sounds like Mexico.

• Agree
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I have my doubts about Catholicism.
The Catholic Church has been paying out one billion dollars (with a "b") every ten years for the last forty years on child abuse by priests settlements. Eventually Catholics are going to start thinking twice about donating money to cover the Church's legal expenses. Eventually.

I foresee a situation in which they need to leverage their popularity in non-western countries to officially keep their coffers afloat. They don't need to cut their losses here quite yet but I see it coming in a generation or two, they'll need to lean on subsidies in African and LatAm countries to a greater degree combined with those congregants rather than western ones.

Upvote 0