Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I noticed this survey from 2018/2019 ( In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace ) that claims to show the decline in the numbers of US Christians has not slowed. If I understand the results correctly, the Christian share of the population has been steadily dropping about 1% each year for 20 years?

So I wonder when this decline is going to stop and what Christianity in the US will look like when that happens?

I wonder if Western Europe can offer any clues? As I understand it, Christianity in Western Europe began a demographic decline in the 1960s. It seems odd that Christianity in America did not decline along with Western Europe.

Just wondering what others think. I wonder if there is any chance of reversing the decline.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I noticed this survey from 2018/2019 ( In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace ) that claims to show the decline in the numbers of US Christians has not slowed. If I understand the results correctly, the Christian share of the population has been steadily dropping about 1% each year for 20 years?

So I wonder when this decline is going to stop and what Christianity in the US will look like when that happens?

I wonder if Western Europe can offer any clues? As I understand it, Christianity in Western Europe began a demographic decline in the 1960s. It seems odd that Christianity in America did not decline along with Western Europe.

Just wondering what others think.
Why would it be odd that things in Europe are different than things in the US?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why would it be odd that things in Europe are different than things in the US?
Well, Western Europe and America shared much of our culture. The Counter Culture of the 1960s affected both regions.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Just wondering what others think.
Some religious sects demand monetary and time commitments. Not all need to go to church to pray. There are YouTube spiritual instructional videos available.

Matthew 6:5 (WEB) “When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Most certainly, I tell you, they have received their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, enter into your inner room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 In praying, don’t use vain repetitions as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. 8 Therefore don’t be like them, for your Father knows what things you need before you ask him. 9 Pray like this:

“‘Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.
10 Let your Kingdom come.
Let your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 Forgive us our debts,
as we also forgive our debtors.
13 Bring us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
For yours is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.’

14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you don’t forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder if there is any chance of reversing the decline.

Oh, absolutely. To reverse the decline, it has become relevant to peoples' lives again.
In my experience, people are put off by the corruption, being told who to vote for and who to hate, and that every cultural fad is caused by demons. They need to focus on messages of hope, humility, and forgiveness.

But there's no profit in that so I don't see that happening.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the decline in the numbers of US Christians has not slowed.

However, there's a world of difference between the number of "U.S. Christians", and the number of people in the U.S. who are Born Again of the Holy Spirit. The term "Christian" is a lot like "Love", or "Faith". It's tossed around So loosely, that it means little or nothing. The Bible SAYS there'll be a "falling away", and so a "falling away" shouldn't be surprising at all.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here is another interesting survey comparing religion in the US to Western Europe ( Key findings about religion in Western Europe ). Apparently there are still many Western Europeans who identify as Christians and the percentages are similar to America, but there is a huge difference in religious practice / devotion. Many Western Europeans rarely pray or attend church compared to their American counterparts.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, Western Europe and America shared much of our culture. The Counter Culture of the 1960s affected both regions.

I don't see that much similarity between the beliefs and philosophies of the average American and that of the average Western European.

• Informative
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Just wondering what others think. I wonder if there is any chance of reversing the decline.
My experience has been that in most average Christian communities (Catholic or Protestant), the number of truly devout believers is about 1 in 10*.

Historically, there have been all kinds of reasons to attend worship: career/networking opportunities, expanding the dating pool, free babysitting for kids, basic human contact/social needs, respite from an unpleasant home life, the NFL season is over, etc. Sincere worship is only reason among many to be there.

In a time and place in American history when being Christian carried absolutely no social cost whatsoever (and in fact, may have included certain social benefits), it shouldn't come as a surprise that many people claimed to be Christian.

But those social benefits have been dwindling for decades. And now, to be a committed Christian today is essentially to make oneself an outsider in modern society.

The 10% I mentioned above are utterly unfazed by this. They hitched their wagon to the Christian religion a long time ago. At this point, bullets will stop them but probably nothing else will.

But for the other 90%, the social/professional/romantic/political/whatever benefits they got from claiming a Christian identity are outweighed by the cost of membership. For them, it's a no-brainer to abandon any ties to Christianity. It was never really sincere for them in the first place so they can't very well be expected to maintain membership.

I could be wrong tho.

* It's a generality. Yes yes yes, exceptional communities probably do exist. Indeed, I can name a few myself. But those are outliers. The 1-in-10 number I outline above still stands.

pope-john-paul-ii-the-coming-tribulation-cannot-be-averted01.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟955,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
cloudyday,

No one can say for certain how Christianity will look or if things will turn around. We must remain steadfast and uphold its teachings in our behavior and interactions with others. Being embodiments of love and grace is the answer. That will point more people to God than anything else.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, absolutely. To reverse the decline, it has become relevant to peoples' lives again.
In my experience, people are put off by the corruption, being told who to vote for and who to hate, and that every cultural fad is caused by demons. They need to focus on messages of hope, humility, and forgiveness.

But there's no profit in that so I don't see that happening.
I wonder if this decline will hit bottom with a Christianity that is less political and less upsetting to non-Christians? The survey linked earlier noted generational differences in Christian identification with only 50% of the Millennials identifying as Christian. Who knows what the children of the Millennials will be like, but it seems the overall population will soon decline from 65% to 50% or lower. Only a fraction of that 50% will be strongly Christian. There are many minority religions in America that mind their own business politically and socially.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I think it began a rapid decline in the 1960s, but I think Europe has had a slow decline starting in the 1800s. That was where seminaries started producing Christian theologians that weren't really Christian in the traditional sense. People like Schleiermacher, Hegel etc.

ust wondering what others think. I wonder if there is any chance of reversing the decline.

I welcome the decline in some ways. Resurrection and Renewal are important themes in Christianity, besides the Apocalyptic notion of the end of the World. Sometimes though you need to take a step backward before you can advance. In my life time, being raised in parochial schools, and a few parishes I have seen my side of a Christianity that is not worth saving, basically an ill interpretation of the Faith. I do see some areas that are good etc. but you cannot really perpetuate a Faith purely as some kind of obligation of the younger generation. It really needs to embody truth, and stand on its own two feet. So I look forward to some kind of renewal of Christianity in the Post Christian era.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟685,614.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here is another interesting survey comparing religion in the US to Western Europe ( Key findings about religion in Western Europe ). Apparently there are still many Western Europeans who identify as Christians and the percentages are similar to America, but there is a huge difference in religious practice / devotion. Many Western Europeans rarely pray or attend church compared to their American counterparts.
I believe that years ago a smaller number of W Europeans considered themselves Christians. My guess is that more people now say they're Christians only as a social label in response to increased Muslim immigration.

My view is supported by the low numbers of W Europeans who attend church once a month or more (22% in WE and 50% in US) and especially the percentage of those who say that religion is very important in their life (only 11% in WE vs 53% in US). Looks like, in WE, half of those who attend church don't really believe Christianity is very important in their life!!! This is very different from the US (53%). I'd say this is closer to the real ratio of true Christians in each society.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder if this decline will hit bottom with a Christianity that is less political and less upsetting to non-Christians?

I don't suspect it will ever be less political, but I suspect it will change tactics because politicians won't be able to openly cater to Christians as the numbers of nones increase. Their goal isn't to be less upsetting to non-Christians, it's to have people in the pews when the collection plate goes around.

The survey linked earlier noted generational differences in Christian identification with only 50% of the Millennials identifying as Christian. Who knows what the children of the Millennials will be like, but it seems the overall population will soon decline from 65% to 50% or lower. Only a fraction of that 50% will be strongly Christian. There are many minority religions in America that mind their own business politically and socially.

I suspect as the younger generations phase out the older, Christianity will be re imagined and before you know it, they will be the ones proudly announcing that it was Christianity that fought for the acceptance of the LGBTQ community.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I suspect as the younger generations phase out the older, Christianity will be re imagined and before you know it, they will be the ones proudly announcing that it was Christianity that fought for the acceptance of the LGBTQ community.
This is kind of like asking people whether they voted for Nixon. Judging by the results of such questions, Nixon should have lost the election.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does Douthat address what will happen or what he wishes to happen?
Last chapter.
Such a renewed Christian faith should be:
political without bring partisan,
Ecumenical but also confessional,
Moralistic but also holistic,
Oriented toward sanctity and beauty

The 5 things that blew it all up:
Political polarization
Sexual revolution
Globalization
Growth in Wealth
Classism

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Last chapter.
Such a renewed Christian faith should be:
political without bring partisan,
Ecumenical but also confessional,
Moralistic but also holistic,
Oriented toward sanctity and beauty

The 5 things that blew it all up:
Political polarization
Sexual revolution
Globalization
Growth in Wealth
Classism
The trouble is that those forces which harmed Douthat's ideal of Christianity are still at work today.

My expectation is that eventually Douthat's ideal of Christianity will be completely extinct and the new Christianity will be whatever remains. Will the televangelist-style Christianity be the survivor or will something else be the survivor?

Upvote 0