Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘Hannah’s Children’ offers a glimpse into countercultural women having five babies — or more.

Populations are collapsing globally. The total fertility rate (TFR) during a woman’s childbearing years has declined by more than 50% over the past 70 years, from around five children for each female in 1950 to 2.2 children in 2021, with more than half of all countries and territories (110 of 204) below 2.1 births.

According to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, in the U.S., since 2007, the total fertility rate has declined from 2.12, which is just above the replacement level set by demographic tradition at 2.10 births per woman, to 1.67 in 2022, leading many to speculate that our country has entered a sustained period of what is considered below-replacement fertility.

This situation captured the attention of Catherine Pakaluk, Ph.D., director of social research and associate professor at The Catholic University of America.

“Growing up, I heard people complaining that the world would be overpopulated, but in the last 25 years, it has become clear that we don’t have enough children,” she told the Register. “When a country is shrinking, economic output shrinks along with family sizes. Most sociologists and economists around the world are studying the reasons why people won’t or can’t have children. I thought that I could add to the conversation by talking to those who are having children.”

Continued below.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟159,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
‘Hannah’s Children’ offers a glimpse into countercultural women having five babies — or more.

Populations are collapsing globally. The total fertility rate (TFR) during a woman’s childbearing years has declined by more than 50% over the past 70 years, from around five children for each female in 1950 to 2.2 children in 2021, with more than half of all countries and territories (110 of 204) below 2.1 births.

According to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, in the U.S., since 2007, the total fertility rate has declined from 2.12, which is just above the replacement level set by demographic tradition at 2.10 births per woman, to 1.67 in 2022, leading many to speculate that our country has entered a sustained period of what is considered below-replacement fertility.

This situation captured the attention of Catherine Pakaluk, Ph.D., director of social research and associate professor at The Catholic University of America.

“Growing up, I heard people complaining that the world would be overpopulated, but in the last 25 years, it has become clear that we don’t have enough children,” she told the Register. “When a country is shrinking, economic output shrinks along with family sizes. Most sociologists and economists around the world are studying the reasons why people won’t or can’t have children. I thought that I could add to the conversation by talking to those who are having children.”

Continued below.
I sense bias here.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟159,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t.
Well, the carrying capacity of Earth is around 8 billion people, maybe a little more, but this is not a debate section. The solution is to have a sensible amount of children, but it is up to the parents how many kids they want to have.

1713724855960.png

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,779,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, the carrying capacity of Earth is around 8 billion people, maybe a little more, but this is not a debate section. The solution is to have a sensible amount of children, but it is up to the parents how many kids they want to have.

View attachment 346331
I am talking about the Catholic perspective here and Catholics being open to life. It is what our faith teaches. The narrative is not anything I’m interested in.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟159,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am talking about the Catholic perspective here and Catholics being open to life. It is what our faith teaches. The narrative is not anything I’m interested in.
Yes, I am open to life also, as I am pro-life.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

View attachment 346331
A vast majority of small towns are dying out. Come to western Nebraska or South Dakota or North Dakota. There is nothing for miles and miles and miles. The whole overpopulation is a myth, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟159,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A vast majority of small towns are dying out. Come to western Nebraska or South Dakota or North Dakota. There is nothing for miles and miles and miles. The whole overpopulation is a myth, in my opinion.
That is an American perspective, not a global perspective, as America is actually underpopulated, for now. Some people live in a bubble.

Example: Hey, look, almost everyone supports Biden in my city, so that means the whole country supports Biden. Does that mean everyone in the country is a Biden supporter? No, because my city is not a representative sample of the US population. In reality, ~50% of the US supports Biden, and ~50% Trump.

Indian City
1713725623239.jpeg

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That is an American perspective, not a global perspective, as America is actually underpopulated, for now.

Example: Hey, look, almost everyone supports Biden in my city, so that means the whole country supports Biden. Does that mean everyone in the country is a Biden supporter? No, because my city is not a representative sample of the US population. In reality, ~50% of the US supports Biden, and ~50% Trump.

Indian City
View attachment 346333
Well said, but I believe God will protect and sustain the earth regardless of its population. I wouldn’t be surprised if India or chinas population dramatically goes down within the next 50 years or so because lack of baby girls.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
American is dying the social norms are to have less children or abortion.
I agree completely. Children are a gift from the Lord. It’s sad our country says otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟159,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well said, but I believe God will protect and sustain the earth regardless of its population. I wouldn’t be surprised if India or chinas population dramatically goes down within the next 50 years or so because lack of baby girls.
You are right. The population starts to decline in the mid to late 21st century.

1713726250201.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums