• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Am I alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GritsnGrace

Legend
Sep 23, 2002
Louisiana
Visit site
✟38,028.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am sure I am not alone with this disease. Is there anyone else out there who has this, that I can talk to about it? It scares me. It really does. I have lost one best friend to it, and another best friends mother to it. My father had it, and I have it. I need to be able to get it under control, because I want to live long enough to see grandbabies. :(

k9catts

Apr 22, 2005
San Antonio
✟8,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
mamabear56 said:
I am sure I am not alone with this disease. Is there anyone else out there who has this, that I can talk to about it? It scares me. It really does. I have lost one best friend to it, and another best friends mother to it. My father had it, and I have it. I need to be able to get it under control, because I want to live long enough to see grandbabies. :(
You are not alone. I have had diabetes 2 for years. Up to this point it has not been a major problem but lately because I have not taken care of myself, it is causing me some problems.

Now I am having to deal with an insedious disease that killed my father.

I hope we can start a conversation that will help others with this diabetes.

I looked at this forum earlier and it had no posts. I wanted to be the first. Oh well I am glad it was you.

Upvote 0

GritsnGrace

Legend
Sep 23, 2002
Louisiana
Visit site
✟38,028.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nice to meet you, k9catts. I am glad you posted back. Mine is not severe right now, but if I am not careful, it could get that way. I was told the last time I went that my diabetes was getting worse. I don't feel bad, just tired, most of the time. I am not on insulin, but take Glucotrol and Glucophage. I also take Monopril, to keep my blood pressure regulated for my eyes. I am just fearful, is all.

Upvote 0

k9catts

Apr 22, 2005
San Antonio
✟8,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
mamabear56 said:
Nice to meet you, k9catts. I am glad you posted back. Mine is not severe right now, but if I am not careful, it could get that way. I was told the last time I went that my diabetes was getting worse. I don't feel bad, just tired, most of the time. I am not on insulin, but take Glucotrol and Glucophage. I also take Monopril, to keep my blood pressure regulated for my eyes. I am just fearful, is all.
Ok let's get down to a real problem. Eating!

Does anybody have a decent recipe for sugar/carbohydrate free chocolate chip cookies?

I am working on one but thus far it is only 75% satisfying thus far. I am getting closer but have a long way to go.

Actually what I have developed thus far does tastes good and friends have even said it is good but I want great.

Upvote 0

InnocentOdion

Seeker
Feb 2, 2006
✟18,636.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
mamabear56 said:
My mum has about 90% chance of being diabetic, they took her blood sugar level the other day, and it was 26.4 or something like that, and her blood pressure is too high too.

I suggest a way to help curb your diabetes is to avoid eating any kind of junk food, and maybe to even start eating only organic foods.

I've yet to find out whether or not it runs in me, I haven't had my blood taken. Ever, but since it's on my mum's side, and on my father's side somewhere down the line, there's a chance I may have it.

I'm not much for help if you want to talk to someone who has the same problem as you, but I'll always be here if you need someone to talk to.

I don't think diabetes should be a major problem for you if you already take care of yourself, if you don't, you just have to start checking the labels for sugar levels. It's not a nice thing to have, but I know a fair few people who have it and have survived with it for now.

I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

IO

Upvote 0

lillybug0514

Senior Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
Texas
✟10,411.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Does anybody have a decent recipe for sugar/carbohydrate free chocolate chip cookies?

Nope, but if you ever find one you have to share!! :)

I've had type 1 diabetes for 9 years in May... The best way for me to stay in control is to eat healthy, although I do love my junk food... it is easier for me to keep in controll because of my insulin but its still not good for me :(

Light exercise is also a great way to stay in better controll

Upvote 0

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
mamabear56 said:

You are not alone.I have this disease too.I am type 2 and have had it for about 3 years now.You can live long time with this disease do not worry about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rut

Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
k9catts said:
Ok let's get down to a real problem. Eating!

I have not a recepie for that but I have a recepie for a cake that you can use as a dessert too.I have tried it and that was good if you compare with other cakes you make for diabetics so if you want it I can post it here

Upvote 0

Qidron

GLEAN
Sep 1, 2004
BEREA, OHIO!
✟12,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone....nice to meet ya'll. :)

I also have diabetes, type 2. I recently posted somewhere hoping to find someone to talk to also...can't remember where now...but I'm glad this thread has started.

I was doing pretty well on Glucophage and Avandamet. And also one for high blood pressure. Then it's like something broke and sugar levels flew to 255.

Friends praying with me, and sharing some great info about healthy eating....like how BARLEY helps to regulate sugar in the blood. It's just hard to eat barley every day. But I do it and it does help. CINNAMON helps too. Just put in in whatever you can think of.

I'll locate a website that gives information.

Also, several months ago, I was led to get a Gazelle exercise thingy. It is low impact, not expensive and really does help.

I'm still struggling to get my sugar levels down because I really do not want to start on insulin...which was the doc's suggestion. Argh.

Hey, K9Kats...Try splenda in your recipe. But how do you cut out carbs and make a cookie?

Lord, we lift one another up today for Your direction and for healing. Please give us hope in this. Please allow us Your peace. We place our trust in You and ask You to help us to trust You even more.

Break forth into JOY oh my soul. And all that is within me bless His holy name!

Blessings
Char

Upvote 0

GritsnGrace

Legend
Sep 23, 2002
Louisiana
Visit site
✟38,028.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
CINNAMON helps too. Just put in in whatever you can think of.

Cinnamon, Char?? Wow, I never knew that!! I love cinnamon!
I am glad to meet everyone. I am glad we are not alone. My sugar levals are slowly coming down. Since my daughter left for basic, I don't cook as much, and I don't buy junk food! So, I have lost 10 pounds, and didn't even realize it til my pants started slipping!!!:clap:

Upvote 0

Qidron

GLEAN
Sep 1, 2004
BEREA, OHIO!
✟12,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mamabear56 said:
I am glad to meet everyone. I am glad we are not alone. My sugar levals are slowly coming down. Since my daughter left for basic, I don't cook as much, and I don't buy junk food! So, I have lost 10 pounds, and didn't even realize it til my pants started slipping!!!

:clap: YEA !!! You go girl! I'm sorry to have to admit that I have 100 pounds to lose....then I might even look like my CF character. :D

I think this is the site where the barley and cinnamon info is...and I hope I'm not violating some rule by sharing it. Blessings TODAY.

http://www.oprah.com/presents/2005/young/life/life_superfoods.jhtml

Reactions: Rut
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lillybug0514

Senior Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
Texas
✟10,411.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
blessedmomof5 said:
lilybug,
my niece has type 1 , she got hers when she was 12, she now wears the pump, loves it, can go out with her friends and not be so strict......just thought i would throw that in.......:hug:
Thats good :) I am also on the pump have been for about 5 years.. it is wonderful for people on the move... but now I need a new one and the insurance company wont give me one so it might be back to shots for me :eek:

Upvote 0

Rut

Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
mamabear56 said:
How does an insulin pump work? I'm not on insulin, and pray I never have to. I'm just wondering.

What I have understand you sat how much insulin you shall have during the day and the the pump give it to you without you thinking that you must have insulin

Upvote 0

Rut

Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
mamabear56 said:
I am glad to meet everyone. I am glad we are not alone. My sugar levals are slowly coming down. Since my daughter left for basic, I don't cook as much, and I don't buy junk food! So, I have lost 10 pounds, and didn't even realize it til my pants started slipping!!!:clap:

That how can help you too is lemon.If you drink lemonwater to the food you eat you can maybe see a diffrent or of course take it in your meal.That how can help you too is nuts.It amazing what nuts can do.I eAt for example to my breakfst only one aple,pear,nuts and drink lemonwater and the bloddsuger goes more down then if I eat my swedish bread and tea.I was suprised when I saw this when I tested it out.

Upvote 0

lillybug0514

Senior Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
Texas
✟10,411.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
mamabear56 said:
How does an insulin pump work? I'm not on insulin, and pray I never have to. I'm just wondering.

The pump will hold about a 3 day supply of insulin (usually Humalog) and will have a continuous drip every (well in my case)few minutes, so that it acts as a normal pancreas and keep the blood sugars regulated. You will still have to take more for when you eat but it is much easier to press a few buttons and be done with it then it would be to take a shot everytime you ate.

It is connected through a tiny tube that you insert using a needle into your body, much like an IV. You tape it down and only have to change every 3 days or so therefore making it much easier and less painful and tedious to take shots.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.