Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘…when it is deprived of hope and love, faith does not fully unite the believer to Christ and does not make him a living member of his Body.’ (CCC 1815)

I will be documenting in a two-part article some of the very best quotations from the Church Fathers, illustrating the universal patristic consensus against “faith alone” (sola fide) and in favor of the Catholic view regarding faith and works as organically connected, and infused justification (no separation of justification and sanctification).

Pope Clement of Rome (d. c. 101) ... we may share in his promised gifts ... if we earnestly seek the things which are pleasing and acceptable to him; if we do the things which are in harmony with his blameless will ... (Epistle to the Corinthians, 35)

Ignatius of Antioch (50 – c. 110) I also am the more encouraged, resting without anxiety in God, if indeed by means of suffering I may attain to God, so that, through your prayers, I may be found a disciple [of Christ]. (Epistle to Polycarp, ch. 7)

Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus (possibly as early as 130, or as late as 180) ... you shall know what God bestows on such as rightly love him, ... presenting in yourselves a tree bearing all kinds of produce ... (ch. 12)

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,253,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
‘…when it is deprived of hope and love, faith does not fully unite the believer to Christ and does not make him a living member of his Body.’ (CCC 1815)

I will be documenting in a two-part article some of the very best quotations from the Church Fathers, illustrating the universal patristic consensus against “faith alone” (sola fide) and in favor of the Catholic view regarding faith and works as organically connected, and infused justification (no separation of justification and sanctification).

Pope Clement of Rome (d. c. 101) ... we may share in his promised gifts ... if we earnestly seek the things which are pleasing and acceptable to him; if we do the things which are in harmony with his blameless will ... (Epistle to the Corinthians, 35)

Ignatius of Antioch (50 – c. 110) I also am the more encouraged, resting without anxiety in God, if indeed by means of suffering I may attain to God, so that, through your prayers, I may be found a disciple [of Christ]. (Epistle to Polycarp, ch. 7)

Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus (possibly as early as 130, or as late as 180) ... you shall know what God bestows on such as rightly love him, ... presenting in yourselves a tree bearing all kinds of produce ... (ch. 12)

Continued below.
And the standard Sola Fide argument would be that it doesn't matter what the Early Church Fathers said because Sola Fide HAS TO BE true because Martin Luther said it? And forced 'sola' and 'fide' together in a place where it was only his interpretation?

Upvote 0