Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The presidential contender has yet to announce his vice-presidential pick — and three of the top seven contenders are Catholic.
(L-R) Sen. Marco Rubio, Sen. J.D. Vance, Rep. Elise Stefanik, and Gov. Greg Abbott, Catholic contenders for a possible V.P. pick on the 2024 GOP ticket.
(L-R) Sen. Marco Rubio, Sen. J.D. Vance, Rep. Elise Stefanik, and Gov. Greg Abbott, Catholic contenders for a possible V.P. pick on the 2024 GOP ticket. (photo: Official Portraits / Public Domain)

The presidential tickets for both major parties are all but set, with one notable exception: Republican contender Donald Trump still hasn’t announced his running mate.

And several Catholics are reportedly in the mix.

Ohio Sen. J.D. Vance, New York Rep. Elise Stefanik and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio are widely considered to be on Trump’s vice-presidential shortlist, joining the ranks of non-Catholic front-runners like South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem and former Hawaii congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard.

Another possible Catholic VP, according to both political pundits and odds-makers, is Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas.

With the 2024 election otherwise set to be a rematch of 2020, when Trump and then-VP Mike Pence lost to Democrat challengers and now-incumbents President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, this election’s GOP veep will be one of the few novelties in the lead-up to November — suggesting a greater than usual level of impact.

Although vice-presidential picks typically generate buzz, political scientists say they historically don’t have much of an effect on the election, aside from a slight bump in the candidate’s home state.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟69,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How about being in line with Nancy Pelosi or Joe Biden?
Well....

....as a practical matter:

Biden doesn't stand in line the priest just goes to where he and his wife are sitting. When you're president you get some perks.

I probably couldn't get into Pelosi's line either because the Secret Service protection is so tight since her husband was beaten with a hammer by some demented MAGA craziod.

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well....

....as a practical matter:

Biden doesn't stand in line the priest just goes to where he and his wife are sitting. When you're president you get some perks.

I probably could get into Pelosi's line either because the Secret Service protection is so tight since her husband was beaten with a hammer by some demented MAGA craziod.
So I hear you say practically it won't happen. So you're off the hook then.

But practically you aren't going to be in line for communion with any potential VP picks either but you made a big deal about how you wouldn't be caught dead in line with a few of them.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟69,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So I hear you say practically it won't happen. So you're off the hook then.
"Off the hook" ? For what am I "On the hook"?

Frankly, and meaning no disrespect, your view of me seems a little skewed somehow. Like I'm doing something suspect or surreptitious that needs to be exposed.

I'm just making a point. These four individuals are not great examples of Catholic virtue. I don't know for sure but it appears 3 don't even practice.

But practically you aren't going to be in line for communion with any potential VP picks either but you made a big deal about how you wouldn't be caught dead in line with a few of them.
Well, as a practical matter I wouldn't be caught dead in any district or state these clowns represent so, yeah, there is whole aspect proximity to be taken into account.

But, like I said, I was just making a point. You're the one that wanted to make a deal out of this.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"Off the hook" ? For what am I "On the hook"?

Frankly, and meaning no disrespect, your view of me seems a little skewed somehow. Like I'm doing something suspect or surreptitious that needs to be exposed.

I'm just making a point. These four individuals are not great examples of Catholic virtue. I don't know for sure but it appears 3 don't even practice.

Well, as a practical matter I wouldn't be caught dead in any district or state these clowns represent so, yeah, there is whole aspect proximity to be taken into account.

But, like I said, I was just making a point. You're the one that wanted to make a deal out of this.
Just trying to figure out what sort of a point is on the end of your spear my friend.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟69,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll trade Trump and Biden for a fifth round draft choice. Geesh, how did we end up here?
Well, like this:

Election night 2000. The Democrats take Florida in a very close race but then there was a lot of rat skullduggery that when on and G. Bush's brother, the Governor of Florida hired a bunch of lawyers (two of which would go on to be Supreme Court justices under the 45th President) filed suit to stop the counting. The SCOTUS stepped in and stopped the counting on a weirdo technicality that, according to the opinion, could NEVER, EVER be used again.

And then Bush started a war after the 9/11 attacks on two countries that were even involved in the attack.

This led to the election of a black man as president.

This drove about 1/3 of the country insane including a very rich orange man from NYC who made a big deal about Hawai'i's birth certificates.

Then the orange man ran for President, (basically to force NBC into a reality based TV contract but that's another story) against a Clinton. This is was a problem because the Clinton Family has been under attack the the right for about 30 years.

Because the Election System in the US is so odd, although Clinton beat the Orange Man by over 3 million votes, the Orange Man became the 45th president. Also and around this time, the RNC database was hacked. Since that time the RNC and most establishment Republicans have been cowtowing to the 45th President.

(Could be a coincidence, after all weird coincidences happen every day - you decide)

The 45th administration has been generally considered to a bad idea and roundly criticized a large number of people.

The 45th administration caused Biden to come out of retirement and the rest, as they say is history.

Honestly, with as much objectivity as I can muster if you want to know how we got here, there is a string of questionable Supreme Court decisions going back to about 1870 that you can trace to bringing us to this point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums