Los Angeles Area
✟840,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
One possible vice-presidential candidate, Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), repeatedly declined to say whether he will accept the outcome.

It looks like (after that whole Mike Pence thing) that there is a new litmus test for veep candidates that qualify them in Trump's eyes, but should disqualify them in everyone else's.

I mean, this is how elections work. You have an election, and there is an outcome. That outcome can involve recounts, lawsuits, whatever, but at the end of the day, there is an outcome.

“This is how democracies break down,” [poli sci prof] Miller said, later adding, “It’s such a low bar to say, ‘Yeah, the election is free and fair,’ or, ‘I will obey the results of the election.’ … You don’t deserve credit for not committing a crime.”

But Trump's potential veep picks are managing to limbo under that low bar.

[After evading the question 6 times, Scott] continued to evade the question even as the interviewer, NBC News’s Kristen Welker, reminded him that a “hallmark of our democracy is that both candidates agree to a peaceful transfer of power.”

“This is why so many Americans believe that NBC is an extension of the Democrat [sic] party at the end of the day,” Scott said at one point. “… I believe that President Trump will be our next president. It’s that simple.”

If you take his words literally, he's saying the election outcome is irrelevant. This is some weird presuppositional apologetic to say that Trump is already the next president. Elections just cause doubt, because they can go either way. But if you hold to a singular faith that Trump is the next president, that provides certainty in a time of doubt.

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, in a TV interview Sunday, dodged a question about Trump’s comments on political violence. Burgum, like Scott, declined to contemplate a scenario in which the former president loses and said he was “looking forward to next January, when Vice President Harris certifies the election for Donald Trump.”

Rep. Elise Stefanik (N.Y.), the No. 4 Republican in the House, would not commit in January to voting to certify the 2024 results as a member of Congress.

Another potential Trump vice-presidential candidate, Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.), declined in March to say whether he would certify ... election results if he were vice president.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some people's arrogance I wish they'd leave the past alone and worry about the future.
I won’t be surprised if he picks Ivanka.
Not a bad idea, I've listened to her talk and she seems more centered on issues than her extremist dad.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟561,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not a bad idea
If you like dynasties.

I've listened to her talk and she seems more centered on issues than her extremist dad.
The problem isn’t her positions, it’s who she’d be related to if she took the job. The bigger problem I haven’t isn’t so much that Trump would try something like this, it’s the support for it he would no doubt have from his voters. That’s what makes him so dangerous.

• Agree
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you like dynasties.
It's about the job they do not a name. I wonder if this was talked about with John and Robert Kennedy. I feel they were so good that the powers to be killed them both.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟840,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Of course, another important factor in choosing a veep is:

What do [actual] billionaires want?

Corporate leaders, wealthy donors want a say in Trump’s vice presidential pick

Ike Perlmutter, a billionaire and former chairman of Marvel Entertainment, told Trump he thinks the former president should choose New York Rep. Elise Stefanik, according to a person briefed on the conversation.

Rupert Murdoch has hinted to several friends who move in Trump’s social circles that he would be happy with a Republican ticket that included Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Trump has also reportedly been pitched on Scott by Oracle chairman and Republican megadonor Larry Ellison.

[And who don't the billionaires want?]

Populists worry donors​

This may help to explain why some influential Trump donors are especially wary of Ohio Sen. J.D. Vance

For some Republican National Committee aides, the message on Ramaswamy from donors, the lobbyist said, is “Good Lord, if it’s him, I’m out.”

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,446,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After evading the question 6 times, Scott] continued to evade the question even as the interviewer, NBC News’s Kristen Welker, reminded him that a “hallmark of our democracy is that both candidates agree to a peaceful transfer of power.”

“This is why so many Americans believe that NBC is an extension of the Democrat [sic] party at the end of the day,” Scott said at one point. “… I believe that President Trump will be our next president. It’s that simple.”

If you take his words literally, he's saying the election outcome is irrelevant. This is some weird presuppositional apologetic to say that Trump is already the next president. Elections just cause doubt, because they can go either way. But if you hold to a singular faith that Trump is the next president, that provides certainty in a time of doubt.

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, in a TV interview Sunday, dodged a question about Trump’s comments on political violence. Burgum, like Scott, declined to contemplate a scenario in which the former president loses and said he was “looking forward to next January, when Vice President Harris certifies the election for Donald Trump.”

Rep. Elise Stefanik (N.Y.), the No. 4 Republican in the House, would not commit in January to voting to certify the 2024 results as a member of Congress.

Another potential Trump vice-presidential candidate, Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.), declined in March to say whether he would certify ... election results if he were vice president.

Pathetic.
Every one of them took an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States.

Upvote 0