2 Cor 3:6-11 Affirms the Law of God, and the New Covenant where it is written on the heart

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
2 Cor3:6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenantnot of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

And the NEW Covenant according to Paul is the one we find quoted in Rom 8 from the OT in Jer 31:31-34

The Spirit does not delete "do not take God's name in vain" -- because under the NEW Covenant God WRITES the LAW of God on the heart see Jer 31:31-34
"I will make a NEW Covenant... THIS is the Covenant .. I will write My Law on their heart and mind, ... I will be their God... I will teach each one of them... I will forgive their sins" Jer 31:31-34

Instead of saying "go ahead and take My name in vain - I don't care about that any more... it was asking too much"

Without the transforming work of the Holy Spirit -- the one lead only by the flesh, only by the sinful nature - "DOES NOT submit to the LAW of God neither indeed CAN THEY" Rom 8:

5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.​

2 Cor 3: 7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

As anyone who has studied the English language is able to see, in the above verses, the subject of those verses is the NEW Covenant vs the OLD Covenant - where both have the ten commandments. And in the case of the NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 they are written on the heart by the SPIRIT - but under the OLD covenant they remains external - on tablets of stone alone.

Therefore under BOTH covenants it is always a sin "to take God's name in vain". But under the NEW Covenant - the New Heart (no longer the stony heart) that command is written on the heart - the new creation.

No wonder Paul states that in the distinct unit of TEN - "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 and as such - still applies to all mankind.

Under the OLD Covenant that same Law known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-34 yet without the Spirit, without the gospel - merely condemns the sinner "for all have sinned" Rom 3:23 and "The ages of sin is death" Rom 6:23

Rom 3:19-20 reminds us that the Law of God places all the world under guilt, doomed -- and this is why all need the Gospel where that moral law of God is "written on heart and mind" and the power to act - is via the indwelling Holy Spirit of God.
==============================================

No wonder that BEFORE THE CROSS even happens - both Moses and Elijah stand in glory with Christ on the mount of transfiguration. The NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 -

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some will say = all of the OP is incredibly obvious.

As noted in the follow cases of affirmation of all TEN of the TEN commandments being included in the moral law of God written on the heart.

[*]The Baptist Confession of Faith section 19
[*]The Westminster Confession of Faith section 19
[*]Voddie Baucham
[*]C.H. Spurgeon
[*]D.L. Moody
[*]Dies Domini by Pope John Paul II
[*]D. James Kennedy
[*]R.C. Sproul
[*]many others as well..

Those groups may choose to "edit" one of the commandments via some tradition of man - but still they are mindful enough to know that all TEN are included in the moral law of God written on the heart under the NEW Covenant.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
May I know what is your interpretation of the following passages:

Matthew 10:35-36 "For I have come to turn ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’"​
Directly quoted from Micah 7:6, "For a son dishonors his father, a daughter rises against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A man’s enemies are the members of his own household."​

Upon examining the context of Micah 7:6, it appears that someone is influencing a son to dishonor his father, causing profound distress to the author. Then, Jesus explicitly acknowledged that He was the catalyst for the son's dishonoring of his father.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
May I know what is your interpretation of the following passages:

Matthew 10:35-36 "For I have come to turn ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’"​

John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

2 Cor 4: 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5 For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake.

Matt 10:24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household! 26 Therefore do not fear them...28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Among those actively involved in evangelism it is a well known fact -- that very often one member of a family accepts Christ even though the other members are atheist, Hindu, Muslim world-loving, you-name-it.

The temptation for them is to say "I will not follow Christ until the rest of my family agrees to do it with me".

The two great commandments in the OT - according to Christ in Matt 22 are
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6;5
"Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18

But that is not the way of this world
John 16:“These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble. 2 They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. 3 And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me. 4 But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them.

Acts 14:21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city and made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch, 22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, “We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.
Christ calls us to stand with Him - though the heavens fall
2 Tim 2: You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 3 You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4 No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. 5 And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 The hardworking farmer must be first to partake of the crops. 7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

Rev 12:
11 And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death. 12 For this reason, rejoice, O heavens and you who dwell in them. Woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, knowing that he has only a short time.”
13 And when the dragon saw that he was thrown down to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male child. 14 But the two wings of the great eagle were given to the woman, so that she could fly into the wilderness to her place, where she *was nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent. 15 And the serpent poured water like a river out of his mouth after the woman, so that he might cause her to be swept away with the flood. 16 But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and drank up the river which the dragon poured out of his mouth. 17 So the dragon was enraged with the woman, and went off to make war with the rest of her children, who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus.

Matt 10 is clear that the issue is the case of the Christian being persecuted by family members.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟668,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some will say = all of the OP is incredibly obvious.

As noted in the follow cases of affirmation of all TEN of the TEN commandments being included in the moral law of God written on the heart.

Those groups may choose to "edit" one of the commandments via some tradition of man - but still they are mindful enough to know that all TEN are included in the moral law of God written on the heart under the NEW Covenant.
The ten cannot be "the moral law" because they do not say anything about loving one another. All they are referring to is Israel's duty to God and their fellow man. 2Cor3:6-11 even calls the ten the ministry of death, why, because all the ten could do is spell out their sins, it could not save anyone no matter how hard they tried to keep them. Trying to tell us the ten are transferred to our hearts is thoughtless and has no Biblical proof. Jeremiah who you love to quote is actually telling us that Jesus would write His laws on our hearts. Jesus laws according to John in Jn15:10-14 is the Law of Love, the new command Jesus gave to mankind. 1Jn 3:19-24 tells us we belong to the truth if we believe in Jesus and love others as He commanded.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟219,673.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Cor3:6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenantnot of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Testament is not equivalent to covenant, even if they came from the same Greek word.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Among those actively involved in evangelism it is a well known fact -- that very often one member of a family accepts Christ even though the other members are atheist, Hindu, Muslim world-loving, you-name-it.

The temptation for them is to say "I will not follow Christ until the rest of my family agrees to do it with me".

The two great commandments in the OT - according to Christ in Matt 22 are
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6;5
"Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18

But that is not the way of this world

Christ calls us to stand with Him - though the heavens fall

Matt 10 is clear that the issue is the case of the Christian being persecuted by family members.
The traditional interpretation tends to overlook Micah 7:1-6. It's important to look into the background of Micah 7:6 because Jesus quoted it.

Micah 7
1Woe is me! For I am like one gathering summer fruit​
at the gleaning of the vineyard;​
there is no cluster to eat,​
no early fig that I crave.​
2The godly man has perished from the earth;​
there is no one upright among men.​
They all lie in wait for blood;​
they hunt one another with a net.​
3Both hands are skilled at evil;​
the prince and the judge demand a bribe.​
When the powerful utters his evil desire,​
they all conspire together.​
4The best of them is like a brier;​
the most upright is sharper than a hedge of thorns.​
The day for your watchmen has come,​
the day of your visitation.​
Now is the time of their confusion.​
5Do not rely on a friend;​
do not trust in a companion.​
Seal the doors of your mouth​
from her who lies in your arms.​
6For a son dishonors his father,
a daughter rises against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
A man’s enemies are the members
of his own household.

Throughout his ministry, Jesus consistently redefined the concept of "parents/family."(Luke 8:21) Notably, he refrained from referring to Mary as His mother, even amidst His crucifixion (John 19:26-27). So, we see while the Ten Commandments traditionally emphasized biological parentage, Jesus explicitly altered its connotation. Another significant example is when Jesus (acknowledged as the Son of David) challenged the notion of David being His father (Matthew 22:45).

In NT, Jesus elucidates that the term "parent" encompasses commendable parental attributes rather than biological lineage. Likewise, identifying as a Christian extends beyond mere verbal affirmation to encompass virtuous living. And Romans 9:6, "For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel."

So a question, should you honor your parents who are evil?

"Honor" refers to high respect, esteem, or admiration given to someone or something due to their qualities, achievements, or status. It can also imply adherence to principles of honesty, integrity, and moral uprightness. Additionally, honor can involve recognizing and valuing the dignity and worth of others.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Therefore,

Deuteronomy 4:13​
He declared to you His covenant, which He commanded you to follow—the Ten Commandments that He wrote on two tablets of stone.​

which is,

Hebrews 8:6-7, 13​
Now, however, Jesus has received a much more excellent ministry, just as the covenant He mediates is better and is founded on better promises. For if that first covenant had been without fault, no place would have been sought for a second... ...By speaking of a new covenant, He has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.​

Then, OP should not neglect its following verses 13-14 when quoting v6-11,

2 Corinthians 3:13-14​
We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at the end of what was fading away. But their minds were closed. For to this day the same veil remains at the reading of the old covenant. It has not been lifted, because only in Christ can it be removed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Therefore,

Deuteronomy 4:13​
He declared to you His covenant, which He commanded you to follow—the Ten Commandments that He wrote on two tablets of stone.​

which is,

Hebrews 8:6-7, 13​
Now, however, Jesus has received a much more excellent ministry, just as the covenant He mediates is better and is founded on better promises. For if that first covenant had been without fault, no place would have been sought for a second... ...By speaking of a new covenant, He has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.​

Then, OP should not neglect its following verses 13-14 when quoting v6-11,

2 Corinthians 3:13-14​
We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at the end of what was fading away. But their minds were closed. For to this day the same veil remains at the reading of the old covenant. It has not been lifted, because only in Christ can it be removed.
A covenant is an agreement and you left out some important context from Hebrews.

There was fault with the covenant/agreement which scripture shows was with the people, not the laws, because God's law is perfect Psa 19:7 and God could not write something with His own finger that was not perfect, because God is perfect.

There would have been no need for a new covenant if there was no fault and the scripture clearly tells who was at fault because the people did not continue in the covenant.

Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord.

So instead of God deleting His perfect law and giving up on humanity- He wrote them in our hearts and minds

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Is it still a sin to worship other gods, vain God's holy name, covet or break the least of these commandments in the New Covenant- yes as Jesus taught clearly Mat 5:19-30 but the New Covenant has God doing, instead of the people doing which is why the New Covenant is established on better promises Heb 8:6, not better laws, because you can't make something that was written by the finger of God that is perfect for converting the soul, more perfect.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A covenant is an agreement and you left out some important context from Hebrews.

There was fault with the covenant/agreement which scripture shows was with the people, not the laws, because God's law is perfect Psa 19:7 and God could not write something with His own finger that was not perfect, because God is perfect.

There would have been no need for a new covenant if there was no fault and the scripture clearly tells who was at fault because the people did not continue in the covenant.

Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord.

So instead of God deleting His perfect law and giving up on humanity- He wrote them in our hearts and minds

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Is it still a sin to worship other gods, vain God's holy name, covet or break the least of these commandments in the New Covenant- yes as Jesus taught clearly Mat 5:19-30 but the New Covenant has God doing, instead of the people doing which is why the New Covenant is established on better promises Heb 8:6, not better laws, because you can't make something that was written by the finger of God that is perfect for converting the soul, more perfect.
This covenant involves a written agreement. This is why 2 Corinthians 3:13-14 states "reading the old covenant," and Hebrews 8:9 “not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers”, indicating a different approach to understanding it. God did not delete it; instead, He refined it, embedding its principles into our minds and hearts.

So, should one honor evil parents knowing that God despises evil? "An unjust man is detestable to the righteous, and one whose way is upright is detestable to the wicked." (Proverbs 29:27, Psalm 26:5, Proverbs 8:13)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This covenant involves a written agreement. This is why 2 Corinthians 3:13-14 states "reading the old covenant," and Hebrews 8:9 “not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers”, indicating a different approach to understanding it. God did not delete it; instead, He refined it, embedding its principles into our minds and hearts.

So, should one honor evil parents knowing that God despises evil? "An unjust man is detestable to the righteous, and one whose way is upright is detestable to the wicked." (Proverbs 29:27, Psalm 26:5, Proverbs 8:13)
What was done away with was the application of the law, not the law itself hence why God wrote His law in our hearts and minds Heb 8:10 and why it is still a sin to break the Ten Commandments Romans 7:7 breaking one we break them all James 2:10-12 and why Jesus in His own Words taught not to break the least of these commandments quoting from the Ten Mat 5:19-30 and in doing so one would be least in heaven i.e. lost as one would be in fear of sin and judgement and one's heart would be far from Him Mat 15:3-14- the opposite of the New Covenant- keeping God's law close in our heart right when God placed it instead of being an enmity to God and His law. Rom 8:7-8

Our salvation is from sin Mat 1:21, we are not saved in our sins and sin is breaking God's law 1 John 3:4 the Ten Commandments Rom 7:7 Mat 5:19-30 the new covenant has God doing instead of people doing, He placed them in our hearts because that is where sin starts, all we have to do is cooperate with God and His law, instead of relying on self-law or our version of righteousness instead of God's Psa 119:172 God's is everlasting Psa 119:142 as God changes not, which is why God personally wrote His commandments in stone for its eternal nature Psa 89:34 now written in our hearts. Heb 8:10 kept faithfully by God's people Rev 14:12 Rev 22:14

Take care. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟668,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As anyone who has studied the English language is able to see, in the above verses, the subject of those verses is the NEW Covenant vs the OLD Covenant - where both have the ten commandments. And in the case of the NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 they are written on the heart by the SPIRIT - but under the OLD covenant they remains external - on tablets of stone alone.
I would like to know how studying the English language has to do with both covenants having the ten commandments. Verses 6-11 certainly do not give us that information, so where do you find that so called fact? Verses 6-11 explain that the ten commandments indeed were only temporary and have been replaced by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. There is absolutely nothing about the ten being written on our hearts. The KJV even goes so far as to tell us: 11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Therefore under BOTH covenants it is always a sin "to take God's name in vain". But under the NEW Covenant - the New Heart (no longer the stony heart) that command is written on the heart - the new creation.
if you love someone, will you take that person's name in vain???? Love is God's greatest commandment, and it is the command written on the hearts of mankind. If we love our parents, we will Honor them. If we love our fellow man we won't steal his/her goods, etc.

No wonder Paul states that in the distinct unit of TEN - "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 and as such - still applies to all mankind.
See above.

Under the OLD Covenant that same Law known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-34 yet without the Spirit, without the gospel - merely condemns the sinner "for all have sinned" Rom 3:23 and "The ages of sin is death" Rom 6:23
What was the Law Jeremiah knew? I submit to you that it was the 613 laws of Torah. Your false theory tells us that only the ten commandments are written on our hearts leaves us without the greatest commands ever given, the Royal Law of Love. The ten say nothing about love, they were all about duty.

Rom 3:19-20 reminds us that the Law of God places all the world under guilt, doomed -- and this is why all need the Gospel where that moral law of God is "written on heart and mind" and the power to act - is via the indwelling Holy Spirit of God.
The ministration of death written on our hearts?? if, as Paul wrote, the ten WERE transitory that had to have meant they at some point would end. Verse 12 tells us they were abolished. And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What was done away with was the application of the law, not the law itself hence why God wrote His law in our hearts and minds Heb 8:10 and why it is still a sin to break the Ten Commandments Romans 7:7 breaking one we break them all James 2:10-12 and why Jesus in His own Words taught not to break the least of these commandments quoting from the Ten Mat 5:19-30 and in doing so one would be least in heaven i.e. lost as one would be in fear of sin and judgement and one's heart would be far from Him Mat 15:3-14- the opposite of the New Covenant- keeping God's law close in our heart right when God placed it instead of being an enmity to God and His law. Rom 8:7-8

Our salvation is from sin Mat 1:21, we are not saved in our sins and sin is breaking God's law 1 John 3:4 the Ten Commandments Rom 7:7 Mat 5:19-30 the new covenant has God doing instead of people doing, He placed them in our hearts because that is where sin starts, all we have to do is cooperate with God and His law, instead of relying on self-law or our version of righteousness instead of God's Psa 119:172 God's is everlasting Psa 119:142 as God changes not, which is why God personally wrote His commandments in stone for its eternal nature Psa 89:34 now written in our hearts. Heb 8:10 kept faithfully by God's people Rev 14:12 Rev 22:14

Take care. :)
Jesus challenged the misinterpretation of the Commandment by pointing out the everyday hypocrisy of people.

In Luke 14:5, he asked, “Which of you whose son or ox falls into a pit on the Sabbath day will not immediately pull him out?”

Despite there being no explicit permission in the Torah for such actions, people still did it. A careful observer of Torah would recognize that an ox or a child could survive in a pit for 24 hours and could be sustained with food or water until after the Sabbath to be rescued. Jesus used this inconsistency in human behavior to highlight the flaws in the old covenant, as discussed by Paul. (Hebrews 8:6-7, 13)

Therefore, should we honor parents who commit evil, which God detests?

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus challenged the misinterpretation of the Commandment by pointing out the everyday hypocrisy of people.

In Luke 14:5, he asked, “Which of you whose son or ox falls into a pit on the Sabbath day will not immediately pull him out?”

Despite there being no explicit permission in the Torah for such actions, people still did it. A careful observer of Torah would recognize that an ox or a child could survive in a pit for 24 hours and could be sustained with food or water until after the Sabbath to be rescued. Jesus used this inconsistency in human behavior to highlight the flaws in the old covenant, as discussed by Paul. (Hebrews 8:6-7, 13)

Therefore, should we honor parents who commit evil, which God detests?
Sad teaching. This is legalist teachings of the Pharisees that many follow, not Christ teachings. Nothing in the Ten Commandments that says we can leave an animal suffering on the Sabbath instead of helping it. Jesus gave examples of doing good on the Sabbath as principles and many people turn this into breaking the Sabbath, much like those who crucified Jesus who accused Jesus of sinning because He broke the sabbath of the Pharisees, not the Sabbath of the Ten Commandments.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟668,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you were under the old covenant, the new had not been ratified by Jesus' blood yet, what would you be teaching those that were under those laws? I submit to you that you would be teaching Torah. Jesus was doing just that. When Jesus was teaching Paul the Gospel, He had ratified the new covenant, so Paul then taught the new covenant and his second letter to the Corinthians stated in 2Cor 3:6-11 that the ten were temporary guide and the permanent guide is now the Holy Spirit.
Our salvation is from sin Mat 1:21, we are not saved in our sins and sin is breaking God's law 1 John 3:4 the Ten Commandments
How can you, with a straight face, tell us that 1Jn 3:4 is referring to the ten commandments? Especially when later in that same chapter he tells us we belong to the TRUTH if we believe in Jesus and love others as He commanded. There is nothing about ten commandments in all of chapter 3.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sad teaching. This is legalist teachings of the Pharisees that many follow, not Christ teachings. Nothing in the Ten Commandments that says we can leave an animal suffering on the Sabbath instead of helping it. Jesus gave examples of doing good on the Sabbath as principles and many people turn this into breaking the Sabbath, much like those who crucified Jesus who accused Jesus of sinning because He broke the sabbath of the Pharisees, not the Sabbath of the Ten Commandments.
This is the sad truth about the flaws in the old covenant that led to Jesus's crucifixion, which was part of God's plan.

Nowhere in the Ten Commandments does it say you cannot leave an animal since it won't die on the Sabbath instead of rescuing it. Does the Torah says doing good on the Sabbath can supersede the notion of resting from work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is the sad truth about the flaws in the old covenant that led to Jesus's crucifixion, which was part of God's plan.

Nowhere in the Ten Commandments does it say you cannot leave an animal since it won't die on the Sabbath instead of rescuing it. Does the Torah says doing good on the Sabbath can supersede the notion of resting from work?
The commandment is to keep the Sabbath day holy, to rest from our works and labors so we can keep the Sabbath day holy and the bible has plenty of examples of doing so. While the main focus of the Sabbath is to honor God and doing His ways Isa 58:13 if an animal is in need of help or helping the sick on the Sabbath, it is not in violation of breaking the Sabbath commandment as Jesus clearly taught. The Pharisees made the Sabbath all about rule-keeping and they lost focus of what the Sabbath is really about and that is to honor God, spending time with Him like the examples of Jesus and the apostles - spending time in prayer, studying His Word, teaching His Word and sharing His Word on His holy and blessed day. :heartpulse:

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,560.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The commandment is to keep the Sabbath day holy, to rest from our works and labors so we can keep the Sabbath day holy and the bible has plenty of examples of doing so. While the main focus of the Sabbath is to honor God and doing His ways Isa 58:13 if an animal is in need of help or helping the sick on the Sabbath, it is not in violation of breaking the Sabbath commandment as Jesus clearly taught. The Pharisees made the Sabbath all about rule-keeping and they lost focus of what the Sabbath is really about and that is to honor God, spending time with Him like the examples of Jesus and the apostles - spending time in prayer, studying His Word, teaching His Word and sharing His Word on His holy and blessed day. :heartpulse:
The Ox, like humans, is required to refrain from working and observe the Sabbath, as commanded in Deuteronomy 5:14. It should patiently await assistance until the following day, akin to someone trapped in a pit, avoiding actions that might cause others to violate the covenant. Both the Ox and humans who delight in observing the Sabbath should trust in God's promised protection, as stated in Isaiah 58:14 (Jonah did not perish while in the belly of the fish 3days 3nights). Moreover, Ox is included in the Sabbath sacrifices according to Numbers 28:10. One might ponder whether the Ox has its own desires regarding being slaughtered on that day. If they are willing to be sacrificed, then they should also be willing to demonstrate patience.

Anyway, Isaiah 58:13 was followed by Sabbaths as covenant mentioned in Isaiah 56:4, "For this is what the LORD says: 'To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, who choose what pleases Me and hold fast to My covenant—'" which was referring to the Old that 2 Corinthians 3:13-14 states "reading the old covenant.", which Prophet Ezekiel 20:12 also says, "'I also gave them My Sabbaths as a sign between us, so that they would know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them (those out from Egypt),'"

And Prophet Jeremiah 17:21-22 “This is what the LORD says: Take heed for yourselves; do not carry a load or bring it through the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. You must not carry a load out of your houses or do any work on the Sabbath day, but you must keep the Sabbath day holy, just as I commanded your forefathers.” - Keeping the Sabbath day as holy involves refraining from carrying any burdens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,922.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I just read an interesting article online about a farmer who was hauling a herd of 70 goats across the country and who got stuck in traffic in a snowstorm in Utah. The goats needed to be milked every 12 hours or they would die. They were stranded on a Saturday. Fortunately, they were able to pull into a farm supply store and engage the two workers there who put the word out so that about 40 folks showed up to milk the nannies, even though none of these folks had ever milked a goat before in their lives. Knowing the demographics of Utah I would imagine that there were no Sabbath-keepers among those good Samaritans.

Upvote 0