Detroit
✟25,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some persons believe God will destroy planet earth. What do you believe?
At Revelation 11:18, we read that God's time to bring an end to those who are destroying the earth, is near.
Since God promised to destroy those who are destroying the earth, he obviously cares about this beautiful planet he created and gave to mankind. Psalm 115:16
iu

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At Revelation 11:18, we read that God's time to bring an end to those who are destroying the earth, is near.
Since God promised to destroy those who are destroying the earth, he obviously cares about this beautiful planet he created and gave to mankind. Psalm 115:16
iu
There is no reason to believe that God will destroy the earth.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟763,537.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think He will destroy the whole lot includng the universe.

The "new heaven and new earth" is allegorical language in my opinion, including the bit about a heavenly city.

I firmly believe Heaven exists but I can hardly see the point in creating another earth. It will have achieved its purpose.

1713015002878.png

This is an image of the Milky Way (Wikipedia Commons). We're an invisible dot somewhere in one of the spiral arms.

It's estimated there are somewhere between 200 billion to 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe.

God's got a lot of power. "Believe me" Christ said, "Him you should fear".

Yet I think He'll do away with the universe when it's served it's purpose. One possible method that comes to mind is God tweaking the Higgs Field. Of course that's conjecture on my part.

On the other hand I think God's going to drive us out into the universe well before that time. I think the space race is just the beginning.

I believe (without proof) that we'll learn to teleport down the track, based on quantum entanglement.

I'm not enamored of Raptures or other earth bound scenarios. I think we've got a while to go yet before the Second Coming (which I do believe) even if it is going to be quite difficult.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In billions of years the sun will explode and the planet will be destoryed. Some of the Bible talk about the end of the world. What they origional text is talking about is the end of an age or era. The church age or the age of grace is coming to an end. The kingdom age or the 1,000 year reign of Christ is going to begin soon. I am not sure how we will transition from one to the next. One theory is that there be a nuclear holocaust and only 10% of the population will survive to the next age or era. A lot of people would consider this to be the end of the world. In my lifetime the worlds population has tripled. Not so much in USA as in India and China. Even though China had a strict policy to control their population and they charge tax if you had more than one child which people did not want to pay.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟25,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-​
No, there is no planet to destroy.
What do you mean? What is Revelation 11:18 referring to?

God will destroy the current earth and heavens.
I have heard persons say this before, and they usually quote 2 Peter 3:7, but reading the previous verses - 5, and 6, we see a comparison with the use of heavens and earth, and the world of that time, and ungodly people of our time.
Did you notice, there were heavens of old and an earth that made up the world that perished?
What do you think of that?
Have you ever considered the literal heavens in the past, being destroyed, or did you realize the heavens and earth, refer to the world of people?

Did you know that the Bible uses those terms to refer to the system?
For example, heavens (Isaiah 14:12; Revelation 20:11), earth (Genesis 11:1).

You don't think God will remove the heavens he created, do you, and what about the scriptures that say the earth is here to stay, and will never be destroyed? What are your thoughts on these?
Ecclesiastes 1:4; Psalm 104:5; Psalm 78:69

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟25,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think He will destroy the whole lot includng the universe.
Interesting. I'd be interested in hearing why.

The "new heaven and new earth" is allegorical language in my opinion, including the bit about a heavenly city.
It's not a far-fetched opinion, although, it's always good to have a scriptural basis for our opinions.
What scriptures led you to this view?

I firmly believe Heaven exists but I can hardly see the point in creating another earth. It will have achieved its purpose.
That makes sense to me.

View attachment 345836

This is an image of the Milky Way (Wikipedia Commons). We're an invisible dot somewhere in one of the spiral arms.

It's estimated there are somewhere between 200 billion to 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe.

God's got a lot of power. "Believe me" Christ said, "Him you should fear".

Yet I think He'll do away with the universe when it's served it's purpose. One possible method that comes to mind is God tweaking the Higgs Field. Of course that's conjecture on my part.

On the other hand I think God's going to drive us out into the universe well before that time. I think the space race is just the beginning.

I believe (without proof) that we'll learn to teleport down the track, based on quantum entanglement.

I'm not enamored of Raptures or other earth bound scenarios. I think we've got a while to go yet before the Second Coming (which I do believe) even if it is going to be quite difficult.
You sound like a science guy. :)
Do you think the purpose of the universe is not everlasting? It's so vast. I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't have an everlasting purpose, which mankind will never figure out, even if he lived zillions of years. Ecclesiastes 3:11

The concept of there being a limited number, is not even a thought, so why would there be a limit to knowledge, and experience?
You said it. "God's got a lot of power." Even more than we can fathom.
So, there is no reason to believe that we are anywhere near understanding, wisdom, and knowledge, of the universe.
We haven't even scratched the surface of knowing its purpose.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟25,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In billions of years the sun will explode and the planet will be destoryed.
Sounds prophetic.
Can we trust this prophecy to come true?
I have heard scientist believe this, but they cannot be certain. How certain are you about this prediction, and why?

Some of the Bible talk about the end of the world. What they origional text is talking about is the end of an age or era. The church age or the age of grace is coming to an end. The kingdom age or the 1,000 year reign of Christ is going to begin soon. I am not sure how we will transition from one to the next. One theory is that there be a nuclear holocaust and only 10% of the population will survive to the next age or era. A lot of people would consider this to be the end of the world. In my lifetime the worlds population has tripled. Not so much in USA as in India and China. Even though China had a strict policy to control their population and they charge tax if you had more than one child which people did not want to pay.
What about these verses?
Revelation 16:16; Revelation 19:19
Do these not tell us how the transition will take place?
After Armageddon would survivors (Proverbs 2:21; Psalm 37:29, 34; 1 John 2:17) - that is, those who are on the side of the victorious warrior king - not be happy to do the same thing Noah and his family did, on exiting the ark... with the exception of offering up animal sacrifices, or killing animals for food?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean? What is Revelation 11:18 referring to?

I have heard persons say this before, and they usually quote 2 Peter 3:7, but reading the previous verses - 5, and 6, we see a comparison with the use of heavens and earth, and the world of that time, and ungodly people of our time.
Did you notice, there were heavens of old and an earth that made up the world that perished?
What do you think of that?
Have you ever considered the literal heavens in the past, being destroyed, or did you realize the heavens and earth, refer to the world of people?

Did you know that the Bible uses those terms to refer to the system?
For example, heavens (Isaiah 14:12; Revelation 20:11), earth (Genesis 11:1).

You don't think God will remove the heavens he created, do you, and what about the scriptures that say the earth is here to stay, and will never be destroyed? What are your thoughts on these?
Ecclesiastes 1:4; Psalm 104:5; Psalm 78:69

Earth in The Bible is the
Hebrew word erets meaning land /ground
erets: earth, land
Original Word: אֶרֶץ
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: erets
Phonetic Spelling: (eh'-rets)
Definition: earth, land

In The Greek the word is gé
gé: the earth, land
Original Word: γῆ, γῆς, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: gé
Phonetic Spelling: (ghay)
Definition: the earth, land
Usage: the earth, soil, land, region, country, inhabitants of a region.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In Genesis 2:7
הָ֣אֲדָמָ֔ה
hā-’ă-ḏā-māh,

Both words for Earth are used in the story of Noah.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟25,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Stars get old and explode every day. It is a part of the cycle of life. We would not be alive today if a star had not died.
I suppose then, you are saying we cannot trust the prediction, since when we are choosing to go hard left toward science, then prophecy cannot be added to the mix.
The reason being, we have now chosen a turf, where limited knowledge, and assumptions, are what we have available to us, and "Why" remains a mystery.

To give just a few examples :
The question "Why hasn’t the sun burned out yet?" came up.
This was a pressing question in the 19th century, says Catherine Pilachowski, an astronomy professor at Indiana University. At the time, humans only understood two ways the sun could be generating energy: Either...
Even today, some wonder if they got gravity right.

Why is the earth the only known planet in the so-called Goldilocks zone, known to be inhabited?
Why did the universe not collapse in on itself?
Here is what answer we get:
...understanding why that didn’t happen might just be one of the most profound questions you can ask to help make sense of the Universe we inhabit.

The Christian is not left without answers to these questions, and all the others which aren't answered by science.
When God questioned Job about creation, one of the questions God asked Job, was, "Do you know the ordinances of the heavens? Can you set their dominion over the earth?" Job 38:33
The question was rhetorical, but God himself provides the answer. Jeremiah 33:25

Some find the idea of a creatorless universe improbable, and that is understandable, considering what we know from science.
The Universe didn’t collapse into a black hole because of the remarkably balanced conditions under which it was born, and that might just be the most remarkable fact of all.

So, when someone says, our sun, which sustains life on earth - which the creator says, he established forever - will burn out after x billion years, is sure to happen, there is no good reason for a Christian to believe that prediction, because just as God is able to sustain the life of a human, beyond expected decay, God can, and will sustain the sun for eternity, if this is his will. Psalm 72:17

Do you find this agreeable?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In Genesis 2:7
הָ֣אֲדָמָ֔ה
hā-’ă-ḏā-māh,

Both words for Earth are used in the story of Noah.
-
Yes ground can use another Hebrew or Arabic word. But the point is earth in The Bible never means a water covered sphere planet.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟763,537.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Bob Crowley - I think He will destroy the whole lot includng the universe.

Corey D - Interesting. I'd be interested in hearing why.

The total energy of the universe is zero.

It was made from nothing (Ex Nihilo); adds up to nothing; and will go back to nothing when God's finished with it.

That's why I think God could possibly use the Higgs Field when He decides the time is up, but that is just my opinion.

It's a stage prop set up for the human story into which God inserted Himself in human form about 2000 years ago.

Since the human race crucified Him He's not going to put up with us forever. He's got a score to settle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟15,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some persons believe God will destroy planet earth.

Of course. It is what the Bible teaches.

What do you believe?

I believe exactly what these and other verses teach plainly...

Isaiah 65:17
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

'Create new' means to make something that did not exist before.

Isaiah 66:22
"For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain."

'Will make' is future.

2 Peter 3:13
"Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness."

The old Heavens and old Earth are 'passed away'...

Revelation 21:1
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea."

There are many verses to study...

Isaiah 34:4
"And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree."

2 Peter 3:12
"Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?"

If God can create our universe, God can destroy it, which he will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟15,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It was made from nothing (Ex Nihilo); adds up to nothing; and will go back to nothing when God's finished with it.

The above is incorrect.

Everything is made from the invisible Logos (Word of God)...

Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Romans 1:20
"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

The Invisible creates the Visible. To state that 'everything is made from nothing' is to state that God does not exist.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟25,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In The Greek the word is gé
gé: the earth, land
Original Word: γῆ, γῆς, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: gé
Phonetic Spelling: (ghay)
Definition: the earth, land
Usage: the earth, soil, land, region, country, inhabitants of a region.
I'm not sure what you are saying.
Are you saying that something physical is not applied figuratively in the Bible, and at Genesis 11:1, it is not applied to the inhabitants?

What about Deuteronomy 32:1; 1 Chronicles 16:33; Psalm 33:8; Psalm 22:27; Psalm 96-100, and many others? Are you saying these verses do not apply earth figuratively to its inhabitants?

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟25,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-
Yes ground can use another Hebrew or Arabic word. But the point is earth in The Bible never means a water covered sphere planet.
It doesn't? That's a surprise to me.
What is Genesis 1:2, 9, 10 saying?
2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
9 Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. 10 And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

Upvote 0