Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
It's been over two years since last I posted in this thread. I'm in the middle of making a denominational change. I'm been with Assemblies of God, but now I'm checking out a church that bills itself as "emerging" Anglo-Catholic, and it has both Episcopal and Lutheran affiliations. I'll be making my 2nd visit this Sunday. It seems good so far, but I'll want to know more before I'm sure.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟439,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Izdaari said:
It's been over two years since last I posted in this thread. I'm in the middle of making a denominational change. I'm been with Assemblies of God, but now I'm checking out a church that bills itself as "emerging" Anglo-Catholic, and it has both Episcopal and Lutheran affiliations. I'll be making my 2nd visit this Sunday. It seems good so far, but I'll want to know more before I'm sure.

Same here, it's been a while for me too.

How do you like the liturgical setting? Is it strange coming from a non-liturgical one? Do you have a history of being involved in a liturgical church?

Since I last posted my wife and I have returned to the church I grew up in, they've made a lot of positive changes like toning the charismania way down and realigning people's focus on more important things. I knew we were supposed to come back the first day we visited as our pastor was launching a series about the importance of the Nicene Creed. So we're back with our good ol' CMA church now. It's under new leadership and headed in a much better direction. :)

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Same here, it's been a while for me too.

How do you like the liturgical setting? Is it strange coming from a non-liturgical one? Do you have a history of being involved in a liturgical church?

Since I last posted my wife and I have returned to the church I grew up in, they've made a lot of positive changes like toning the charismania way down and realigning people's focus on more important things. I knew we were supposed to come back the first day we visited as our pastor was launching a series about the importance of the Nicene Creed. So we're back with our good ol' CMA church now. It's under new leadership and headed in a much better direction. :)

It's not entirely strange, since I've visited a number of Episcopal and Lutheran churches over the years. I've always enjoyed them as a change of pace. And my AG church is not really all that Pentecostal. Telling it apart from charismatic-friendly non-denominational would be really hard.

My main concern is that it isn't TOO liberal. I mean, I know it's gonna tend that way: its affiliations are TEC and ELCA, and both of them do. And it's "emerging church"... which I identify with as well, but not in a very liberal way. But so far, it seems orthodox enough in terms of core Christian beliefs (Apostles and Nicene creed-type stuff), and I insist on that. It seems at least friendly to charismatic and mystical Christian traditions, and I like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟439,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not entirely strange, since I've visited a number of Episcopal and Lutheran churches over the years. I've always enjoyed them as a change of pace. And my AG church is not really all that Pentecostal. Telling it apart from charismatic-friendly non-denominational would be really hard.

My main concern is that it isn't TOO liberal. I mean, I know it's gonna tend that way: its affiliations are TEC and ELCA, and both of them do. And it's "emerging church"... which I identify with as well, but not in a very liberal way. But so far, it seems orthodox enough in terms of core Christian beliefs (Apostles and Nicene creed-type stuff), and I insist on that. It seems at least friendly to charismatic and mystical Christian traditions, and I like that.

That's an interesting blend, it sounds pretty unique.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
That's an interesting blend, it sounds pretty unique.
After a couple more visits, it does seem orthodox enough, not in a fundamentalist way, but affirming all the historic Christian creeds. It also seems very friendly but not in a pushy way (that's important to me since I'm a quiet introvert by nature; friendly enough but not at all outgoing... so if people get pushy and demanding in their friendliness, that makes me very uncomfortable). The worship and music are reverent but not at all stodgy. I think this is going to be my new home church! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0