Canberra
✟725.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So my step mum raised me since I was about 10 years old. My real mum moved away and has remained in my life but we don’t speak often. I became a born again Christian a few years ago and while I don’t support the Mormon church (I am aware that their baptism isn’t a true Christian baptism), I feel bad to not be there for my step mum since she wants me there. I am also worried it will make her hesitant to attend my own events if my faith is involved. I don’t want to cause division between us so I am confused about what to do… any biblical advice appreciated Sorry if this is the wrong thread/forum for this question.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So my step mum raised me since I was about 10 years old. My real mum moved away and has remained in my life but we don’t speak often. I became a born again Christian a few years ago and while I don’t support the Mormon church (I am aware that their baptism isn’t a true Christian baptism), I feel bad to not be there for my step mum since she wants me there. I am also worried it will make her hesitant to attend my own events if my faith is involved. I don’t want to cause division between us so I am confused about what to do… any biblical advice appreciated Sorry if this is the wrong thread/forum for this question.
Well ... difficult decision for sure .... I couldn't go and would just say ... although I feel it's wonderful that you are accepting Jesus into your heart ... there are teachings of the Mormon church that I find are not in line with the Word of God (be prepared to talk about those providing biblical verses) ... so for that reason I can not in good conscience attend your baptism. I don't want at all for this to be a wedge between us as I love you dearly ... but on the other hand I can only go by my own convictions about the matter and hope you can understand and respect my reasons as well.

Baptism don't save a person regardless where it is done .... Jesus does ... and He looks at the heart.

(I am aware that their baptism isn’t a true Christian baptism),
Most certainly do not make this statement. When you speak with her you should use scripture ... biblical truths and pray for her.

This is one major difference, you might want to bring up ??? (there are several others)

Mormons do not believe in the Trinity. They affirm the unity of three personages, but the unity is a relational unity in purpose and mind, not a unity of essence. The three separate beings of the Godhead are three distinct Gods (this is not so according to scripture).

Praying God gives you direction on the matter. Amen

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you even allowed to attend?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It might be better suited to this forum: Requests for Christian Advice

As far as attending the baptism, if you do not believe it to be Christian…I would be uncomfortable with it. I understand you not wanting to hurt your stepmother though. If I were you, I’d consult a pastor to seek advise.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟590,726.00
Faith
Christian
You should not go as St John says if anyone comes with another gospel not to greet as though to show you think such is not serious such lest you share in evil deeds as bible says have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness but expose them for it is an evil belief system rejecting the true and must show you dont support it

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟590,726.00
Faith
Christian
On second thought I think your situation is unique that I should not advise what I dont know just that it may be wrong like going to temples of other religions but may be different as you have a purpose with relation with step mum with purpose or only because atleast not supporting other religions that are more evil that better to ask a pastor if safe if he can explain otherwise since you may worry with consequences that she not go to church with you if they dont explain dangers can go

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Their missionaries are known to fudge on these issues. Shady.
I went mountain biking with LDS missionaries. Nice guys. I think they are young men doing what they are told. I look a little higher in the corporation for accountability.

(oh... sorry I massively edited my post after you "liked" it.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,148,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I just love "one off" OP's ......................................................... but what the heck. I guess I'll just answer with a "no" to keep things copacetic.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟28,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can imagine how you feel.

You sound like a young person, both physically and spiritually, since it seems difficult talking to your stepmom about your feeling.
It's always best to take that course, though, since it's better when persons understand each other.
It's true that some persons of age have strong feelings, which don't yield to other views, but I think that's changing, so it's more than likely, even if your stepmom does not agree, she may try to understand.

Even if she does not understand, she will appreciate you for having the courage to respectfully express how you feel.
That's key. How you talk to her.
1 Peter 3:15
But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give a defense to everyone who asks you the reason for the hope that is in you. But respond with gentleness and respect,

It's your attitude that counts, and that's what will win her heart, having witnessed your respectful, pure conduct. 1 Peter 3:2

So take private moments to pray for a mild spirit, think about her feelings (1 Corinthians 13:4-6), and choose a good setting to approach her and talk.

PS
Not to side track from the topic, what makes Mormon baptisms not a true Christian baptism?

Reactions: Zaha Torte
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As for me, I would probably go. I would not consider my attending "condoning" or agreement, but an act out of respect and regard for my step-mum as to something that is important to her. I would not have to hold it to the same importance.

If I chose not to go, I would probably talk about me and not her. By that, I mean I would say something like, "I have made a decision not to attend religious services outside of my own faith practice." That avoids being critical of her Mormon faith or getting into a debate over who is right and who is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not to side track from the topic, what makes Mormon baptisms not a true Christian baptism?
Surely you know better than to assume anything.
The momrons teachings are fatal to the souls trapped/ tricked. Like all false teachers, the followers don't realize the danger they are in, nor the danger to their own little children , and others.
The false gospels are extremely widespread today, and have been always.
But people taught by a false gospel, believe false gospels are okay - live and let live so to speak.

Like letting carnivorous mammals feast on the flesh of one's own family and friends !!

God Gives Strong Warnings Against Accepting False Gospels.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When I was in my late teens my then-stepmother was baptized into the LDS religion, so I can relate to where you're coming from, OP. I did not go, and neither did my father, as he rightly objected to the disrespectful way that the Mormon missionaries treated his very common sense request that they not come by when he was not at the house, as he was not comfortable with them preaching in his house without seeing for himself what they were teaching. He was never very big on any particular doctrine of Christianity (he was raised Catholic in the pre-VII days, but was eventually a kind of generic cultural Christian before converting to the Filipino knock-off version of the LDS, the Iglesia Ni Cristo, for marriage), so I don't think he had major theological objections to anything, but an objection to the idea that they should preach to his wife, and possibly to his son while he had no input on the matter. They said they would respect that, but they lied, so he very rightly told them off and refused to attend his then-wife's phony baloney 'baptism'.

Mormon missionaries, while they no doubt sincerely believe they are doing the Lord's work, are emissaries of Satan, as it is Satan who whispers into the ears of religious con artists like Joseph Smith and their progeny in various latter-day cults.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am generally of the opinion that, as long as one isn't violating their conscience and is doing something with love then that's a good thing. Having said that, I could not, myself, in that situation attend.

So it's not my place to tell someone else what to do in this situation; my own personal position would be that I could not. Purely on the basis of conscience.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,115,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241636_9f4a3046555e3431f8a087b68dbce899_thumb.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joy

John 3:16
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
May 21, 2004
West Midlands
✟1,408,988.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you talked with her about how Mormonism is not God's way, and have you shown this from scripture?

If she has been shown scripture for how Mormonism is wrong, why has she made this choice?

If she knows about scripture challenging her decision, you can advise her that if you go it will be in order to reach her and others who are into the Mormon thing. Then you can go and reach people for Jesus.

Or, say, No, because she did not talk with you about what she was getting ready to do, in case she kept this from you but now all of a sudden expects you to accept this without first communicating about this and evaluating this with you.

If you are not equipped in God's word for this, you might say you need more clarification about Mormonism before you can make a choice about sharing in their activities.

I personally have taken a quick peek at the Book of Mormon and it was nothing in comparison with God's word; so I just stopped, right there. Plus, if Mormon is really Christian, why do they use the word "Mormon"?

So, I might visit Mormon stuff, but in order to investigate what someone is into, and compare this with what is in God's word.

I have been told that Mormonism is a cult, and I know cult people can hide what they are really about. But, there can be untrue rumors going around about even cults, for all I know. So . . . one thing I do with any group's member is make sure the person speaks for one's own self, about what he or she understands a group teaches and does. Because that is the person I am talking to. And compare this with who Jesus is and what God's word says about salvation through Jesus and how Jesus is the way to God, and how a person needs to start new by trusting in Jesus.

"What is your actual experience of God and His word and salvation?"

"How have you become with God because of trusting in Jesus, if you have?"

And God does use prayer and your example . . . wherever He has you go. If He has you go, do not try to rehearse: He is able to do better and more than we can plan and hope now.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟28,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you talked with her about how Mormonism is not God's way, and have you shown this from scripture?

If she has been shown scripture for how Mormonism is wrong, why has she made this choice?

If she knows about scripture challenging her decision, you can advise her that if you go it will be in order to reach her and others who are into the Mormon thing. Then you can go and reach people for Jesus.

Or, say, No, because she did not talk with you about what she was getting ready to do, in case she kept this from you but now all of a sudden expects you to accept this without first communicating about this and evaluating this with you.

If you are not equipped in God's word for this, you might say you need more clarification about Mormonism before you can make a choice about sharing in their activities.

I personally have taken a quick peek at the Book of Mormon and it was nothing in comparison with God's word; so I just stopped, right there. Plus, if Mormon is really Christian, why do they use the word "Mormon"?

So, I might visit Mormon stuff, but in order to investigate what someone is into, and compare this with what is in God's word.

I have been told that Mormonism is a cult, and I know cult people can hide what they are really about. But, there can be untrue rumors going around about even cults, for all I know. So . . . one thing I do with any group's member is make sure the person speaks for one's own self, about what he or she understands a group teaches and does. Because that is the person I am talking to. And compare this with who Jesus is and what God's word says about salvation through Jesus and how Jesus is the way to God, and how a person needs to start new by trusting in Jesus.

"What is your actual experience of God and His word and salvation?"

"How have you become with God because of trusting in Jesus, if you have?"

And God does use prayer and your example . . . wherever He has you go. If He has you go, do not try to rehearse: He is able to do better and more than we can plan and hope now.
Speaking from experience, this approach does not work well, and will cause a rift between the original poster and her stepmom.
It's best not to "attack" what the person loves, even if you show scriptures.

If someone wants to learn, they will seek out answers, and so, the best method is to simply share Bible truths. Which is what I have been doing.

I've used scriptures on these forums to share basic Bible truths, and there are persons here that have stopped communicating with me, and refused to even give a like for a post where I simply commend them.
So, just imagine when I do more than share Bible truths, but prove by scriptural references that what they believe is not Biblical. :)
The original poster does not want to generate hate between her and her stepmom.

Upvote 0