Saved by Grace doesn't mean our works don't matter. Ephesian's over all context screams this.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Did they proclaim anything or follow the religion?
-
Proclaim anything or follow the religion, no. Those are not conditions to be done to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. They believed in Jesus, but they would not confess publicly their belief.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟738,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
-
Proclaim anything or follow the religion, no. Those are not conditions to be done to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. They believed in Jesus, but they would not confess publicly their belief.
Are you saying that this indicates that we will receive universal salvation? If so, why would the Bible indicate in so many places that there IS a final judgement.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying that this indicates that we will receive universal salvation? If so, why would the Bible indicate in so many places that there IS a final judgement.
-

What is this hangup on this universal salvation. I have stated several time a person becomes a born again child of God only by belief in Jesus. If your beliefs are leading you to see that as universal salvation. I would suggest you examine what you believe and what you are placing your faith in.

So this is universal salvation:
Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would suggest you take a look at this site Grace Evangelical Society . especially since it looks like you are basing receiving Eternal Life (salvation) on actions you are doing and not so much on belief in Jesus.
I need no other source of truth than the Bible, if you have to take me out of the Bible why do you think your view is correct?

The Bible characterizes wrong doctrine as doctrine that disregards the teachings of Jesus.
2 John 1:9-11 [ 1 Timothy 6:3-4 John 14:24 1 Corinthians 16:22 ]

"Whoever disobeys the Torah, and abides not in the doctrine of Christ has not God,
whoever abides in the doctrine of Christ, has both the Father and the Son.
If anyone comes to you, and does not bring this teaching,
do not invite him into your house, neither bid him god speed, lest you be partaker of his evil deeds"

We have been given the Holy Spirit for free by grace so that we can work.

Because we are Gods creation created in Christ Jesus for good works
which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.

Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
3. believers are accountable for our actions before God, and will be judged at the Bema to determine our eternal rewards, but not our eternal destinies.

That is taken from faithalone.org
Let us read the Bible however.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ;
that every one may receive the things done in his body,
according to that he hath done, whether it be (or whether he receive) good or bad.
Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord
we persuade men.....
1 Corinthians 5:10-11

We can not ignore the context of verse 11.
Paul is speaking about the terror of the Lord, not an award ceremony.

Paul clearly speaks about obedience to Christ.
In the "free grace" message, there is nothing to sincerely obey, marking it clearly wrong.

Holding every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:5

[Christ will return]
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God,
and that obey not the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Thessalonians 1:8

What is to be obeyed? The teachings of Jesus.
Those who refuse to obey the good news given by Christ, are Anathema.

He that does not love me, does not keep my teachings.
John 14:24

If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ,
let that person be Anathema! Oh Lord Come!
1 Corinthians 16:22 [ 1 Corinthians 1:13 for context ]

I stand on the word of God.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I need no other source of truth than the Bible, if you have to take me out of the Bible why do you think your view is correct?

The Bible characterizes wrong doctrine as doctrine that disregards the teachings of Jesus.

We have been given the Holy Spirit for free by grace so that we can work.

Because we are Gods creation created in Christ Jesus for good works
which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.
-

The group i point you to only teaches from The Bible. You trying to understand on your own The Bible, has developed wrong beliefs. But if want to continue down the wrong way be my guest.

Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The group i point you to only teaches from The Bible. You trying to understand on your own The Bible, has developed wrong beliefs. But if want to continue down the wrong way be my guest.
What do you know from the Bible that they have taught you? What Bible passages can you share that say that the judgement seat is just an award ceremony and not the terror of the Lord?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What do you know from the Bible that they have taught you? What Bible passages can you share that say that the judgement seat is just an award ceremony and not the terror of the Lord?

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

-----

Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

-----

Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.

Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.

What Bible passages can you share that say that the judgement seat is just an award ceremony and not the terror of the Lord?

You have not shared any, Paul clearly states it is the terror of the Lord, not an award ceremony.

He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

He who does not believe Jesus is condemned already.

Give and it shall be given to you, good measure pressed down and running over....
Do we believe Jesus?

Lend hoping for nothing in return and your reward shall be great
Do we believe Jesus?

Your stance is that we can enter heaven without believing Jesus?

We just have to believe about Jesus? But do not have to believe Jesus Himself?

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow me.
And I give unto them eternal life
John 10:27 John 10:28

I say unto you that hear, love your enemies, do good to them that hate you.
Luke 6:27

Do we hear? Are we His sheep?
Jesus clearly defines His sheep as those who hear Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire

For other foundation can no man lay that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 3:11

Paul indeed is speaking about messages from people,
the dispute in chapter 3 was that some said they were of Paul, some Apollos. [ 1 Corinthians 3:4-5 ]

What Christ preached came first and is the foundation of the good news message. [ Luke 4:18-21 John 10:27 Luke 6:27 ]

That is what Paul is saying in 1 Corinthians 3:11-14.

Paul is therefore talking about our message to others,
the way we share and portray the good news.

Paul reiterated the teachings of Christ in his own way;
Romans 12:14, Romans 13:10, 1 Corinthians 16:22, 2 Corinthians 5:15, Galatians 5:6,
Ephesians 5:2 through 6:10, 2 Thess 2:8, 1 Timothy 6:3

Christ told His disciples to go into the world and tell people His teachings: Matthew 28:20.

The only thing we can "take with us" into heaven are other people we lead to Christ.
That work, therefore will be tried by fire.
For on such that enter heaven the second death has no power. [ Revelation 20:6 ]

We all have to go through literal hell one way or the other.
Those having part in the first resurrection will be immortal able to literally walk through the fire
and enter the heavenly city that comes down.

Our "work" that will be tried by the fire are other people we lead to the Lord.
And that work can not be done without love.
It is done by our lifestyle and message, through the help of the Holy Spirit within us.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
For other foundation can no man lay that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 3:11

Paul indeed is speaking about messages from people,
the dispute in chapter 3 was that some said they were of Paul, some Apollos. [ 1 Corinthians 3:4-5 ]

What Christ preached came first and is the foundation of the good news message. [ Luke 4:18-21 John 10:27 Luke 6:27 ]

That is what Paul is saying in 1 Corinthians 3:11-14.

Paul is therefore talking about our message to others,
the way we share and portray the good news.

Paul reiterated the teachings of Christ in his own way;
Romans 12:14, Romans 13:10, 1 Corinthians 16:22, 2 Corinthians 5:15, Galatians 5:6,
Ephesians 5:2 through 6:10, 2 Thess 2:8, 1 Timothy 6:3

Christ told His disciples to go into the world and tell people His teachings: Matthew 28:20.

The only thing we can "take with us" into heaven are other people we lead to Christ.
That work, therefore will be tried by fire.
For on such that enter heaven the second death has no power. [ Revelation 20:6 ]

We all have to go through literal hell one way or the other.
Those having part in the first resurrection will be immortal able to literally walk through the fire
and enter the heavenly city that comes down.

Our "work" that will be tried by the fire are other people we lead to the Lord.
And that work can not be done without love.
It is done by our lifestyle and message, through the help of the Holy Spirit within us.
-
I will ask you one simple question, which how you answer will tell me what you believe (either in faith or in works).

The question is: How does a person receive God's free gift of Eternal Life?

Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will ask you one simple question, which how you answer will tell me what you believe (either in faith or in works).

The gift of God is eternal life In Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

The Holy Spirit is the free gift apart from works. Luke 11:13, Acts 2:38, Galatians 3:2, Ephesians 1:13

A born again person is one following the Holy Spirit, one actually living, in, Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:14

And I give unto them eternal life.

If a man loves me, he will keep my words,
and my Father will love him,
and we will come to him and make our home with him.

John 14:21-24

He that does not love me, does not keep my words.

1 Corinthians 16:22

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The gift of God is eternal life In Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

The Holy Spirit is the free gift apart from works. Luke 11:13, Acts 2:38, Galatians 3:2, Ephesians 1:13

A born again person is one following the Holy Spirit, one actually living, in, Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:14

If a man loves me, he will keep my words,
and my Father will love him,
and we will come to him and make our home with him.

John 14:21-24

He that does not love me, does not keep my words.

1 Corinthians 16:22
-

So you can not give an answer, just post verses. Why can you not answer this simple question, do you not know.

Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Be not deceived, God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows that shall he also reap.
He that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption.
He that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
And let us not be weary in well doing for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Galatians 6:7-9

John 10:27

The question is clearly answered in scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Be not deceived, God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows that shall he also reap.
He that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption.
He that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
And let us not be weary in well doing for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Galatians 6:7-9

John 10:27

The question is clearly answered in scripture.
-

Yes, but you have not posted a single verse that answers the question.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟738,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
-

What is this hangup on this universal salvation. I have stated several time a person becomes a born again child of God only by belief in Jesus. If your beliefs are leading you to see that as universal salvation. I would suggest you examine what you believe and what you are placing your faith in.
I think it's an extreme and misguided view of Ephesians as the text is contrasted by St Peter and Saint James. At the end of Ephesians 2 (from which you quoted):

20 built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, 21in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; 22in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

The reason I have sighted these verses is because it says "Build upon the foundation of the Apostles," and in this we are reminded that we are building a Church, not just telling ourselves that we believe. It's "through faith so it would seem that we must respond to the call of free salvation. We respond with faith. We don't tell ourselves we believe and go back to the corner drugging and prostitute thinking that we are believers.

The Bible is a big book and there are many chapters and verses. It seems to me a bit extreme to believe that Ephesians 2 is the only thing we must consider when interpreting scripture. Scripture does not go against scripture but one must go through all of the gospels and epistles, comparing and contrasting them to get the bigger picture. Meaning that there is more to living a Christian life than simply "believe."

It's saved "through faith," so let's see what the NT has to say about faith:

James 2:24 - You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Is this statement of James (the brother of Christ) to be completely disregarded?

Galatians 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Meaning, that one must LIVE in faith, not just believe but LIVE which would seem to indicate that we must act in faith in order to be faithful

1 John 5:4- For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

This verse would seem to indicate that the granting of faith to us by God, should be applied to our lives to overcome "the world." It doesn't (to me) indicate that one must only believe they are saved but they must also strive to "overcome the world."

Hebrews 11:7 - By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

This verse seems to clarify that Noah took action in faith, he didn't simply believe that an ark would be built but he had the faith to build an ark. This highlights that faith we show and prove and it is practical for not only the afterlife but the world we live in now. As Noah's faith (granted by God), drove him to build the ark, we must also through faith (granted by God), live and take action through that faith.

As St James said:
James 2:18-22 18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without [a]your works, and I will show you my faith by [b]my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is [c]dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?

Did St James the brother of Jesus have no clue what he was talking about or should we take this scripture as a lesson?

Not to keep beating a dead horse but in light of these scriptures, is only belief required or faith? Secondly, should our faith be alive or dead? See, this is the problem with an individual, according to their own interpretation of scripture found their own church or denomination with no consensus as to the merit of their interpretation. I feel more comfortable with the interpretation of the early church fathers who's bishops from across the known world found a consensus on how the word is to be interpreted. One (or many) churches base their interpretation of scripture on their own understanding when the Bible clearly says "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight." I prefer to lean on the understanding of the global community of bishops instead of one man who had some new ideas on how to interpret the Bible.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I think it's an extreme and misguided view of Ephesians as the text is contrasted by St Peter and Saint James. At the end of Ephesians 2 (from which you quoted):

20 built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, 21in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; 22in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

The reason I have sighted these verses is because it says "Build upon the foundation of the Apostles," and in this we are reminded that we are building a Church, not just telling ourselves that we believe. It's "through faith so it would seem that we must respond to the call of free salvation. We respond with faith. We don't tell ourselves we believe and go back to the corner drugging and prostitute thinking that we are believers.

The Bible is a big book and there are many chapters and verses. It seems to me a bit extreme to believe that Ephesians 2 is the only thing we must consider when interpreting scripture. Scripture does not go against scripture but one must go through all of the gospels and epistles, comparing and contrasting them to get the bigger picture. Meaning that there is more to living a Christian life than simply "believe."

It's saved "through faith," so let's see what the NT has to say about faith:

James 2:24 - You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Is this statement of James (the brother of Christ) to be completely disregarded?

Galatians 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Meaning, that one must LIVE in faith, not just believe but LIVE which would seem to indicate that we must act in faith in order to be faithful

1 John 5:4- For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

This verse would seem to indicate that the granting of faith to us by God, should be applied to our lives to overcome "the world." It doesn't (to me) indicate that one must only believe they are saved but they must also strive to "overcome the world."

Hebrews 11:7 - By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

This verse seems to clarify that Noah took action in faith, he didn't simply believe that an ark would be built but he had the faith to build an ark. This highlights that faith we show and prove and it is practical for not only the afterlife but the world we live in now. As Noah's faith (granted by God), drove him to build the ark, we must also through faith (granted by God), live and take action through that faith.

As St James said:
James 2:18-22 18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without [a]your works, and I will show you my faith by [b]my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is [c]dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?

Did St James the brother of Jesus have no clue what he was talking about or should we take this scripture as a lesson?

Not to keep beating a dead horse but in light of these scriptures, is only belief required or faith? Secondly, should our faith be alive or dead? See, this is the problem with an individual, according to their own interpretation of scripture found their own church or denomination with no consensus as to the merit of their interpretation. I feel more comfortable with the interpretation of the early church fathers who's bishops from across the known world found a consensus on how the word is to be interpreted. One (or many) churches base their interpretation of scripture on their own understanding when the Bible clearly says "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight." I prefer to lean on the understanding of the global community of bishops instead of one man who had some new ideas on how to interpret the Bible.

-

I notice you never post verses addressing receiving Eternal Life, to prove your beliefs.

If you are talking about my last post that you quoted, I quoted no scripture from Ephesians. Next non of the verses you posted are addressing receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life. All of the verses you posted are addressed to believers and are concerning the discipline, discipleship and growth of a believer.

From what i gather your faith is in your church and you are believing they have the path to Eternal Life. Which i conclude you do not believe it is belief in Jesus that gives people Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟738,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I quoted no scripture from Ephesians.
But the concept of we need only believe we are saved and we have no need to do what God says is a distorted view often justified by the writings of Ephesians
Next non of the verses you posted are addressing receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.
That is more the point that you seem to emphasize. What I am trying to clarify is that it is not due to simply saying "I believe." There is more to being and living one's life as a person with faith. The gift is having an advocate which we need due to our imperfections. So there is no formula stating that one must have X amount of works to be saved. What it says is we are saved by grace THROUGH FAITH. Belief is fine but if one only believes they are saved and has no need for faith, they are mistaken.

All of the verses you posted are addressed to believers and are concerning the discipline, discipleship and growth of a believer.
So are you saying that the Bible states that there is no need to BE a disciple as long as you are a "believer"? How can one be a believer if they have no faith? Also, how can one have faith if there is no evidence that they have faith?

From what i gather your faith is in your church and you are believing they have the path to Eternal Life. Which i conclude you do not believe it is belief in Jesus that gives people Eternal Life.
It's more like My Church has the correct interpretation of scripture. Seeing as how it was the original Catholic (meaning universal) church who's global consensus of bishops gathered from all over the known world from Asia, the Middle East, plus Eastern and Western Europe 300-400 years after Christ. IMO a global consensious of Bishops rather that one man who disagreed with the global community of churches and decided that they could interpret scripture better than the people who approved the biblical canon. Not to sound redundant but I prefer the insight of the global church than one guy who decided to change what was universally accepted for 1.200 years. How is one man's opinion more valid that a global consensus of churches?

I know that many Protestants believe that whatever they come to believe based on their personal interpretation of scripture (leaning on their own understanding) rather than basing their beliefs based on the consensus of the original church. That is also why there are a million different denominations. Anyone that disagrees with their home church is free to disregard that church's teachings and substitute their own teachings. Who is more likely to be deceived.

The reason I don't emphasize free grace is because it's through faith and one must take action in order to confirm their faith. Saying "I believe (according to myself) that I am saved by grace and have a free ticket to heaven, they somehow forget that it's grace THROUGH FAITH. Can one have faith and live by faith and not follow any of God's commandments? No, because "faith without works is dead." Belief doesn't guarantee your spot in heaven. It's through faith that we receive grace and there is no get out of jail free card unless we have faith. Now is it better to have living faith or dead faith? If we are all saved no matter what we do, why is there a need for the day of judgement.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
But the concept of we need only believe we are saved and we have no need to do what God says is a distorted view often justified by the writings of Ephesians

That is more the point that you seem to emphasize. What I am trying to clarify is that it is not due to simply saying "I believe." There is more to being and living one's life as a person with faith. The gift is having an advocate which we need due to our imperfections. So there is no formula stating that one must have X amount of works to be saved. What it says is we are saved by grace THROUGH FAITH. Belief is fine but if one only believes they are saved and has no need for faith, they are mistaken.

So are you saying that the Bible states that there is no need to BE a disciple as long as you are a "believer"? How can one be a believer if they have no faith? Also, how can one have faith if there is no evidence that they have faith?

It's more like My Church has the correct interpretation of scripture. Seeing as how it was the original Catholic (meaning universal) church who's global consensus of bishops gathered from all over the known world from Asia, the Middle East, plus Eastern and Western Europe 300-400 years after Christ. IMO a global consensious of Bishops rather that one man who disagreed with the global community of churches and decided that they could interpret scripture better than the people who approved the biblical canon. Not to sound redundant but I prefer the insight of the global church than one guy who decided to change what was universally accepted for 1.200 years. How is one man's opinion more valid that a global consensus of churches?

I know that many Protestants believe that whatever they come to believe based on their personal interpretation of scripture (leaning on their own understanding) rather than basing their beliefs based on the consensus of the original church. That is also why there are a million different denominations. Anyone that disagrees with their home church is free to disregard that church's teachings and substitute their own teachings. Who is more likely to be deceived.

The reason I don't emphasize free grace is because it's through faith and one must take action in order to confirm their faith. Saying "I believe (according to myself) that I am saved by grace and have a free ticket to heaven, they somehow forget that it's grace THROUGH FAITH. Can one have faith and live by faith and not follow any of God's commandments? No, because "faith without works is dead." Belief doesn't guarantee your spot in heaven. It's through faith that we receive grace and there is no get out of jail free card unless we have faith. Now is it better to have living faith or dead faith? If we are all saved no matter what we do, why is there a need for the day of judgement.

This verse ('s) describe you, you have posted verse after verse but of course non have addressed receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life. So you are searching the scriptures, but the verses which state belief in Jesus you avoid.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

As for judgement i see why you think you will be judged to see if you will make it to heaven. Because you are basing your acceptance on your obedience to the church and what they teach. But again i will not be judged, Jesus promises all who believe in Him will not come into judgment and has passed from death to life.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

The only judgment, a believer in Jesus, will face is the judgment seat of The Messiah, which is a judgment for the loss or gain of rewards. This judgment is not a judgment to see if they were obedient enough to go to heaven. As at the very moment of belief in Jesus the believer crosses over permanently from death to life.

Upvote 0