The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus, has set us free from the law of sin and death?

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul is talking about the "LAW" of the Spirit of Life, this is the "LAW" that was in Christ Jesus.
I too can emphasis any word in the verse.
Paul Is talking about the "SPIRIT" of life.
Paul is talking about the Spirit "OF" life.
Paul is talking about the law of the Spirit of "LIFE."

All the words are important.

Opposed to the "LAW" of Sin and Death, which is in our Flesh. You omitted this part of the topic as your post moved along.
No I do not ignore this. That the law of the Spirit of life is stronger than the law of sin and death in the flesh I surely spoke to
somewhere in this discusssion. When I used the law of gravity as an apt illustration I said something like Christ is a stronger Person.

I can not make EVERY point in EVERY post. So be fair.

I can agree that spirits flow like water which influences everything it touches.
Good. But you make spirits plural for some reason. There is One Spirit. I did say the Lord said "rivers of living water".
But "there is one Spirit"

You see the eternal Spirit before Christ's resurrection just contained the divinity of God.
After His resurrection the Spirit contained the human Jesus of Nazareth.

The Spirit as the Third Person of the Trinity was from even Genesis when He brooded upon the face of the deep.

and the Spirit of God was brooding upon the surface of the waters. (Gen. 1:2)

So He is indeed always ways "and the Spirit of God was brooding upon the surface of the waters. (Gen. 1:2b)

The Spirit that was not YET was the Spirit containing not only the divinity of God but the humanity of
the resurrected God-man the Lord Jesus. The word "given" was supplied by KJV editors.

I was taught and am persuaded that it is better rendered "the Spirit was not yet" as the Recovery Version has it.

He who believes into Me, as the Scripture said, out of his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water.
But this He said concerning the Spirit, whom those who believed into Him were about to receive;
for the Spirit was not yet, because Jesus had not yet been glorified. (John 7:38,39)

But Paul is speaking about "Walking" in something.
It is about walking in a Person. It is about living a grafted and mingled life with a Person.
This Person is now "a life giving Spirit". (1 Cor. 15:45)

As therefore you have received the Christ, Jesus the Lord, walk in Him, (Col. 2:6) -
walking in the Lord Jesus.
Aka - Walking by the Spirit.

But I say, Walk by the Spirit and you shall by no means fulfill the lust of the flesh. (Gal. 5:16)

He mentions the "LAW" of the Spirit of Life, that was in Christ Jesus. Well who is the Spirit of Life? In your religion, is God not a Spirit, and is HE not the Spirit of Life??
The Spirit of life is Christ Jesus.
Below He used these designations in a seamlessly interchangeable way - The Spirit of God is the Spirit of Christ is Christ.

But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Yet if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him. But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is life because of righteousness. (Rom. 8:9,10)

Doesn't the Jesus "of the Bible" say God is in Him?
Yes. And God is now in all those who receive the Lord Jesus. What a salvation!
Doesn't that mean the Spirit of God is in Him?
Yes. And He is in the Spirit of God. And the Triune God has been dispensed into the believers.
As we see the One indwelling the believers in Romans 8:9-11 is -
The Spirit of God,
The Spirit of Christ,
Christ,
The Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead.

And if the Spirit of the One who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you. (v.11)

So when Paul says "For the "law" of the Spirit of life "in Christ Jesus" Paul is speaking about God's LAW that was in Christ Jesus. Or does your religion teach that Jesus "Walked" in a different Law.
The BIBLE teaches that the Spirit of life is the life of God. And the law of that Spirit is the law of His divine / human life.

The analogy of gravity is good. For with our turning our mind to the mingled regenerated human spirit where the Spirit of Jesus
Who is the Lord is "one spirit" (1 Cor. 6:17) with our spirit causes the life to FLOW. And this flow is like a river flowing because of gravity ever downward.

He is spontneous, free, regulating, leading, moving our mind, emotion, and will to walk in the realm of a living God within us.

This law of the Spirit of life liberates us from religion as well as the sin in our flesh law.
We do have a responsibility. That is to TURN our mind off of our self and onto the Spirit indwelling us.
This requires practice, building up the habit, trial and error. It is a life long learning process for the Christian.

Since Jesus walked before us with the same kind of relationship with His Father, He is now in us
to be our everything, anything, our willing, and the working. We just need to take Him in faith that He can be
every item we need, including our consecration.

I know what I am talking about. The Lord is recovering the governing vision as taking Christ as our everything.
Then we can experience grace, and more grace on that grace, and more grace on that grace - grace upon grace.

So there is a juxtaposition in the New Testament between the law of God and the grace of God.

For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace.
For the law was given through Moses; grace and reality came through Jesus Christ. (John 1:16,17)

That is right. But this freedom is unleashed by our setting our mind on the spirit where the Spirit is one with us within.
The human spirit is the real holy of holies - the innermost chamber of our being. We have to learn to discern it and set our
mind upon that realm.

Many "stumble" occasionally on that realm. But they are not sure what it is that caused them to sense the Lord's presence.
It could be a song they sang. It could be a genuine prayer they uttered or a passage that particularly brought them to God's presence.

The crucial thing is that rather than accidently now and them find ourselves in the Spirit, we need to build up the habit
of turning to the Spirit and lingering in that realm. We need to WALK in that realm step by step.

It is not beyond any Christian. It is not that hard. And it must become almost unconscious after much practice.
Keep reading. This is important.

This freedom of being set free by the law of the Spirit of life gets stronger as we deny ourselves and enjoy the Spirit of
divine life deep within us. Then it becomes so normal that we not too aware of Him directly but we are aware when we have LOST
for a moment His presence.

The signal is internal - "life and peace". It is to feel comfort, calm, stability, warmth, refreshment.
The sense of death when our mind is not on the Spirit in our spirit is a sense of emptiness, vanity, uneasiness, dryness, staleness.

IT IS NOT A SENSE OF RIGHT AND WRONG primarily.
It is the sense of the Lord's face smiling upon your heart. His pleasure means YOUR pleasure.

For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace. (Rom. 8:6)

So then, there is no condemnation to men who are "walking" in God's Law. Please answer this question? What "LAW" was in Zacharias and Simeon? Did they not walk in the same "LAW" of the Spirit of Life that was in Christ Jesus?
I don't think Zacharias's experience is like that of the Christian.
John 6:39 says "the Spirit was not yet because Jesus was not yet glorified".

This is not to under appreciate Zacharias or Simeon. But what we have now they did not have, whatever they had.
The all-inclusive Spirit of Christ Jesus with its liberating power from within "was not yet."

I do not envy or look back to the piety of Simeon and Zacharias. They had their portion and we in the new covenant proper have ours
as the indwelling of the Spirit of life - Christ Jesus the incarnated, crucified, risen and indwelling divine Person.

Do not suggest that what Zacharias and Simeon had was identical to what Paul taught in Romans chapter 8.
We can learn from the them. We can benefit from elements of their life before God.
But the Spirit indwelling us is beyond their enjoyment.

Here is another perfect example of taking part of one verse, separating it from the rest of the Holy scriptures, and then creating doctrines of man from it.
This is an very bad criticism unless you can take any one of the verses I referenced above and state why we should not
take them in faith.

I have quoted not the entire New Testament. But like the Lord Himself or His apostles I have referred to a passage.
You do it and it is ok. Why do you complain when I do it?

Unless you can specifically tell me how my combining a verse here and there accumulates to a false teaching, I will continue
to refer to passages which portray the truth.

There are men who call Jesus Lord, who preach that the Holy Spirit on Zacharias, the Wise men, Simeon, Anna is a different Spirit that was on Caleb or the Church of God in Acts?
Now in the book of Acts - this Spirit which John said was not YET was in existence.
Jesus had been resurrected and entered into His glory.

Compare:

But this He said concerning the Spirit, whom those who believed into Him were about to receive; for the Spirit was not yet, because Jesus had not yet been glorified. (John 7:39)

Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and enter into His glory? (Luke 24:26)

You may object to this because surely the NT speaks of them seeing Christ's glory or Him being glorified morally
before His death and resurrection. I would not argue with that if the point was made.

However, I would teach that the ultimate glory is Christ becomming in a form in which He could be
imparted Himself into man for His multiplication, duplication, and enlargement. And that is what is happening in the
book of Acts. He has enter into the glory of being expressed in His church and in the members of His Body.

That is correct. They moved by the Spirit prophesied of the grace that was to COME UNTO YOU.
Well, in Romans 8 the apostle teaches about that coming grace in terms of the law of the Spirit of life freeing us in Christ Jesus.

No, that specific experience of new testament grace was not what Simeon and Zacharias had. And the result of
insisting that they had the same thing undermines the uniqueness of Christ and His ministry.

We can appreciate ALL of the obedience of saints of the past before the Lord became a life giving Spirit.
We can appreciate even the Law of Moses.
But we should not exalt the Law of Moses to be equal to Christ.
We should not exalt the Law of God to be above the Son of God (as some do if not you imo)

The words out of mouth of Jesus teach us that the least in the kingdom of the heavens - the prevailing church life of normal victory,
is greater than all the prophets including John the Baptist.

Truly I say to you, Among those born of women there has not arisen one greater than John the Baptist, yet he who is least in the kingdom of the heavens is greater than he. (Matt. 11;11)

Our relationship to Christ is closer than that of Simeon or Zacharias or even John the Baptist.
We have the Lord Jesus living in us. And that makes the Christian's experience greater than that of any Old Testament saint - period.
He who is least in the kingdom the origin of which is from heaven "kingdom of the heavens" is greater because Christ is WITHIN him.

This verse does say "the Spirit of Christ which was in them". And I would never disbelieve or change it.

But this is not the Spirit of Jesus Christ the man who died and rose.
The FUNCTION of God as the Anointed One or the Christ is eternal.

Why didn't Peter say "the Spirit of JESUS which was in them"?
But the Christ in a sense was there in the Triune God even in Moses's day.

By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter,
Choosing rather to be ill-treated with the people of God than to have the temporary enjoyment of sin,
Considering the reproach of the Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he looked away to the reward. (Heb. 11:24-26)

You see "the Christ" was operating function wise in the Exodus.
But the "the boundiful supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1:19) was not YET (John 7:39) at the time of Moses . . . Simeon, Zacharias or John the Baptist

Now your other points are NOT [edited] ignored. That is all the time I can give right now.
We should not think the new testament church experience is identical to the Old Testament saints.
We can learn from their examples quite much. But we have received something more than what they had.

They may have this Spirit of Jesus for all I know NOW in Paradise for all I know. But Hebrews says all those witnesses are cheering us on as a cloud of former faithful witnesses to what THEY had. They are waiting of their completion to come with our maturity.

And these all, having obtained a good testimony through their faith, did not obtain the promise,
Because God has provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect. (Heb. 11:39,40)

I'll have to continue latter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Studyman this was a typo I corrected. I intended to write that your other comments were NOT ignored.

---------------------------------
Now your other points are NOT [edited] ignored. That is all the time I can give right now.
---------------------------------

Upvote 0