Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟529,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Every person born has the ability to have faith in something.

Where in Acts 2 does Peter address receiving God's free gift of Eternal life by belief in Jesus. Peter is addressing mostly believers and what they must do to be restored and join Peters group of believers (The Church being formed).

That is why the ask what must we do and not what must we do to be saved or receive eternal life.
You say every person born has the ability to have faith in something. Chapter and verse please.
Let us assume you are correct...James says even the demons believe and shutter.

You asked where in Acts does Peter address receiving eternal life...
For Peter's address to the crowd you must read Acts 2:13-40. (Read it through please so we can discuss.)
You must receive forgiveness of sins for salvation. One hears the Gospel message....the message about Christ, which is the message that He died on the cross in our stead so that we may be fully forgiven by God and so that we may be reconciled to God. We feel our wrongness,our sin and the seriousness of that sin when we hear that message and the need for a Savior. One cannot believe in a Savior if one feels no need to be saved. What is the meaning of faith but this? That is that we are sinners and in need of saving and finally that Christ is that Savior.

Peter was not addressing a crowd of believers, they were unconverted Jews. When they heard Peter's message they repented saying brothers what shall we do:
Acts 2:37 37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
These words are signs of repentance are they not? And they asked, what shall we do? (To be saved) Peter then responds.

You can read that they were unconverted Jews who did not know their Savior here, God-fearing Jews, but still practicing O.T. Law and were not believers in Jesus before Peter's address. The Holy Spirit worked through Peter to deliver the Gospel message...see that God gave the Apostles tongues of fire to symbolize the pouring out of the Holy Spirit that day, the day of Pentecost, as is also stated..
Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
The words, they were added, means the crowd was not part of that number prior to this event. That number is the number of believers.

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
-
Revelation 2 is address to believers, why would they need to know how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. As they are already born again children of God.
You are right, so is "Behold, I stand at the door and knock". Many Christians seem unaware of the difference between being born again and the salvation of the soul. It would end a lot of confusion if Christians knew this truth.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You say every person born has the ability to have faith in something. Chapter and verse please.
Let us assume you are correct...James says even the demons believe and shutter.

You asked where in Acts does Peter address receiving eternal life...
For Peter's address to the crowd you must read Acts 2:13-40. (Read it through please so we can discuss.)
You must receive forgiveness of sins for salvation. One hears the Gospel message....the message about Christ, which is the message that He died on the cross in our stead so that we may be fully forgiven by God and so that we may be reconciled to God. We feel our wrongness,our sin and the seriousness of that sin when we hear that message and the need for a Savior. One cannot believe in a Savior if one feels no need to be saved. What is the meaning of faith but this? That is that we are sinners and in need of saving and finally that Christ is that Savior.

Peter was not addressing a crowd of believers, they were unconverted Jews. When they heard Peter's message they repented saying brothers what shall we do:
Acts 2:37 37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
These words are signs of repentance are they not? And they asked, what shall we do? (To be saved) Peter then responds.

You can read that they were unconverted Jews who did not know their Savior here, God-fearing Jews, but still practicing O.T. Law and were not believers in Jesus before Peter's address. The Holy Spirit worked through Peter to deliver the Gospel message...see that God gave the Apostles tongues of fire to symbolize the pouring out of the Holy Spirit that day, the day of Pentecost, as is also stated..
Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
The words, they were added, means the crowd was not part of that number prior to this event. That number is the number of believers.
-
If Acts 2 is as you say it is, which is that Peter was telling them how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation).

Why do you have to add to the text with your (To be saved), that is not in the account in Acts and is not even hinted at, that is what they were asking.

Peter states what they were meaning when they ask what shall we do.
And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.”

Also Peter plainly tell Cornelius to believe in Jesus, something Peter does not do in Acts.
To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”

Nothing about repentance is mentioned

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You are right, so is "Behold, I stand at the door and knock". Many Christians seem unaware of the difference between being born again and the salvation of the soul. It would end a lot of confusion if Christians knew this truth.
-
Well i am not sure what you are meaning by salvation of the soul. But when Peter is using the statement in 1 Peter 1:9, he is referring to the receiving eternal rewards for the believer.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
-
Well i am not sure what you are meaning by salvation of the soul. But when Peter is using the statement in 1 Peter 1:9, he is referring to the receiving eternal rewards for the believer.
No, he is not. The gospel of the Kingdom is what we should be preaching and teaching. Forgiveness of sin is only the very beginning. Being born again allows the person to see the Kingdom of God. It does not guarantee placement in the Kingdom.

Yes, there are eternal rewards for the believer who denies self and takes up the cross to follow Jesus.

The salvation of the soul is what Jesus spoke of in Luke 4:18. It is fundamentally about deliverance. Spiritual growth is measured by what we lose. There is an independent life of the soul that we inherit from Adam. It is not all evil. People are capable of selfless acts as well as wicked behaviour. However, "good" is not "God" and our best is still filthy rags to God. So there must be a transition from a life ruled by the life of the soul to being ruled by the Lord Jesus who lives in the born again spirit of the believer.

The soul is basically mind, emotion and will. The mind needs to be renewed. Our will needs to turn from independent self-will to humble submission to Christ. Our emotions must serve us, not rule us. This is a process that lasts a lifetime. The degree to which we allow Jesus to change us is the degree to which we are spiritually mature. The soul itself is meant to serve the spirit by expressing the content (for want of a better word) of the spirit. Most, if not all, believers have an inner struggle, especially at first. Even Jesus in His humanity faced a battle, God's will or self will? Obviously He chose God's will and so secured the great salvation that God has for all who accept Christ.

God is most interested in the source of our activities. There have times when I have done what is "good" in order to avoid doing what is "right". I justified myself but God was not impressed. The Pharisees were experts at this. Jesus called them out for their hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No, he is not. The gospel of the Kingdom is what we should be preaching and teaching. Forgiveness of sin is only the very beginning. Being born again allows the person to see the Kingdom of God. It does not guarantee placement in the Kingdom.

Yes, there are eternal rewards for the believer who denies self and takes up the cross to follow Jesus.

The salvation of the soul is what Jesus spoke of in Luke 4:18. It is fundamentally about deliverance. Spiritual growth is measured by what we lose. There is an independent life of the soul that we inherit from Adam. It is not all evil. People are capable of selfless acts as well as wicked behaviour. However, "good" is not "God" and our best is still filthy rags to God. So there must be a transition from a life ruled by the life of the soul to being ruled by the Lord Jesus who lives in the born again spirit of the believer.

The soul is basically mind, emotion and will. The mind needs to be renewed. Our will needs to turn from independent self-will to humble submission to Christ. Our emotions must serve us, not rule us. This is a process that lasts a lifetime. The degree to which we allow Jesus to change us is the degree to which we are spiritually mature. The soul itself is meant to serve the spirit by expressing the content (for want of a better word) of the spirit. Most, if not all, believers have an inner struggle, especially at first. Even Jesus in His humanity faced a battle, God's will or self will? Obviously He chose God's will and so secured the great salvation that God has for all who accept Christ.

God is most interested in the source of our activities. There have times when I have done what is "good" in order to avoid doing what is "right". I justified myself but God was not impressed. The Pharisees were experts at this. Jesus called them out for their hypocrisy.
-
Well we will just have to disagree, plus i get tired of auguring with you, so believe what you want. Obviously when it comes to The Bible there is nothing we agree on, but i am fine with that.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟529,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
If Acts 2 is as you say it is, which is that Peter was telling them how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation).

Why do you have to add to the text with your (To be saved), that is not in the account in Acts and is not even hinted at, that is what they were asking.

And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.”

Also Peter plainly tell Cornelius to believe in Jesus, something Peter does not do in Acts.
To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”

It is stated, time and again, by Jesus, by the Apostles and by the Gospel evangelists to repent. I'm on my phone and will get back to this discussion when on my computer.
What does it mean to you to have faith in Jesus, to believe in Him and thus receive the forgiveness of sins? On the very face of it you know you are a sinner in need of forgiveness. All of this is a free gift of God. Repentance is not something that negates this "freeness" of salvation. Salvation is a gift because faith is a gift. Faith comes from hearing the message about Christ.
I did not to my knowledge add anything to Peters words. Did you read his speech in its entirety?
You seem to be hung up on free gift and repentance you say makes this gift not free.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟529,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-

See Passages as John 8:10-11:
10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,”
Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
Her forgiveness...which is what grants eternal life through her faith in Christ as her Savior from sin...is a free gift!

See John 5:13-14:

13 The man who was healed had no idea who it was, for Jesus had slipped away into the crowd that was there.

14 Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.”
(Repentance is called for by Jesus.) Forgiveness and repentance through faith that Christ can save us reaps eternal life...free gift.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟529,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-

Also, addressing your comment on Peter not mentioning repentance...did you only skim throughthe chapter? You missed passages 38 and 39 where Peter says repent and be baptized and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. See the next vs as well...vs 39... the gift is to you and your children
..whomever the Lord will call.
So as Paul explains in
I'm Romans and Ephesians, God calls us...the gift comes in the form of His call...we are predestined.

Reactions: Studyman
Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟173,264.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
People who truly repent will be more sensitive to sin. Fighting sins is a long process. Some people will maintain a good suppression of sins for a long time, while some will be trapped in sins for a long time and unable to overcome them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Also, addressing your comment on Peter not mentioning repentance...did you only skim throughthe chapter? You missed passages 38 and 39 where Peter says repent and be baptized and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. See the next vs as well...vs 39... the gift is to you and your children
..whomever the Lord will call.
So as Paul explains in
I'm Romans and Ephesians, God calls us...the gift comes in the form of His call...we are predestined.
-
This is short reply (off to work) You are not reading my post correctly

I never said Peter did not mention repentance in Acts 2.
I the post i stated that Peter did not mention repentance to Cornelius.

Here is what i wrote below

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟335,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People who truly repent will be more sensitive to sin. Fighting sins is a long process. Some people will maintain a good suppression of sins for a long time, while some will be trapped in sins for a long time and unable to overcome them.

This is so true. Godly sorrow, that is "True Sorrow" for rejecting God's Way and instruction in righteousness, leads to true repentance, which is change. Without repentance, which is change, all men will perish.

Luke 13: 3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

This Path the Jesus "of the Bible" instructed men to Enter, is a way of life, and the battle to "Put off" the old man, and "Put on" the New man "Which after God is created in righteousness and true Holiness", is a journey of "Patience continuance", at least according to the Scriptures.

This truth is not a good marketing strategy for this world's religious sects and businesses, "who come in Christ's Name", so it isn't taught.

It is good to know there are others who understand why "Repentance" is required to "Enter Life".

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,168.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some people will maintain a good suppression of sins for a long time
Only to find one day their vanity about doing so is tested and they sometimes fail as a result. Does this not indicate God would like us to get over the idea we can control ourselves rather than instead accepting ourselves for the sinners we truly are and hope for a time the self serving ways we brought upon ourselves in the Garden (original sin) will be taken away from existence in the Kingdom to come. In the meantime are we not to struggle with the idea of putting His will ahead of our own and even though often unsuccessful reject and hate the self serving ways of mankind.

• Agree
Reactions: Yusuphhai
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟529,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
This is short reply (off to work) You are not reading my post correctly

I never said Peter did not mention repentance in Acts 2.
I the post i stated that Peter did not mention repentance to Cornelius.

Here is what i wrote below

My apologies, but this is why we read the Bible in its entirety. Passages reflect and expand upon one another. Jesus said Repent. God is not a man that He should lie.
If there is a door to salvation, it is still a free gift is maybe a succinct way of making my point.
Only to find one day their vanity about doing so is tested and they sometimes fail as a result. Does this not indicate God would like us to get over the idea we can control ourselves rather than instead accepting ourselves for the sinners we truly are and hope for a time the self serving ways we brought upon ourselves in the Garden (original sin) will be taken away from existence in the Kingdom to come. In the meantime are we not to struggle with the idea of putting His will ahead of our own and even though often unsuccessful reject and hate the self serving ways of mankind.
Titus states:
11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,
-Titus 2:11-13
also...
Acts 24:25:
25 As Paul talked about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, “That’s enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.”
I Timothy 3:2:
2 Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
also..
Titus 1:8:
8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.
Titus 2:2:
2 Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.
Titus 2:4-5:
4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
Titus 2:6:
6 Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. 7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness
II Peter 1:5-7:
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.

A lot of teachings on self-control and godly living.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
My sense listening to people here is that this Metanoia, this 'turning' does indeed have two sides to it... as do ALL turnings!
Yes, you are turning towards Jesus in Faith, but inseparable from that, is a turning away from sin. The single act of turning implicates both...
Turning away from sin, and turning towards the Way, the Truth and the Light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,168.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes and the more we see ourselves as godly or in control, the more we will be tested. The final result is we are a weak lot. The obvious conclusion is that God's will should then be preferential to the will of man.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My apologies, but this is why we read the Bible in its entirety. Passages reflect and expand upon one another. Jesus said Repent. God is not a man that He should lie.
If there is a door to salvation, it is still a free gift is maybe a succinct way of making my point.

Titus states:
11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,
-Titus 2:11-13
also...
Acts 24:25:
25 As Paul talked about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, “That’s enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.”
I Timothy 3:2:
2 Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
also..
Titus 1:8:
8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.
Titus 2:2:
2 Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.
Titus 2:4-5:
4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
Titus 2:6:
6 Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. 7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness
II Peter 1:5-7:
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.

-
Books like Titus are for teaching believers (born again children of God) how to live Godly lives, lives than God will approve of. Titus is not address to unbelievers and what they must do to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life and become a permanent born again child of God.

That is the purpose of The Gospel of John and John states to believe in Jesus.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟529,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes and the more we see ourselves as godly or in control, the more we will be tested. The final result is we are a weak lot. The obvious conclusion is that God's will should then be preferential to the will of man.
I'm not sure of your position on self-control in this post. If you are opposed are you not refuting the clear reading of Scripture?
The method Paul describes for fighting the sinful nature and upholding the law of Christ is by way of the Holy Spirit's leading and promptings. When we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit we are filled with love for God and our fellowman wanting all to be saved. Paul terms this in Romans, the New Way, and Christ's law...the way of love. Love is the fulfillment of the commands. God gives us grace and forgiveness for our stumbling and sin. He shows us a way out of sin as well. Hebrews tells us that Christ had to take on human flesh to understand our weaknesses so as to help those who are tempted. ..see Hebrews 2:18

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟529,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Books like Titus are for teaching believers (born again children of God) how to live Godly lives, lives than God will approve of. Titus is not address to unbelievers and what they must do to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life and become a permanent born again child of God.

That is the purpose of The Gospel of John and John states to believe in Jesus.
I cited you passages of John telling us what He told two people to do...stop sinning...leave your life of sin.

Upvote 0