Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
If you don't repent sincerely, can you be saved if you accept Jesus died for your sins?

What if your repentance is weak and you don't feel all that bad about the sins?

Do you only have to repent once at the start, or do you have to keep repenting to maintain salvation.

Cheers

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-

Repentance is not a condition God has given to receive God's free gift of Eternal life (salvation). The only condition is belief in Jesus, believing that Jesus is who He said He is, The promised Messiah (Christ) which is the same as, The only begotten Son of God, the resurrection and the life. believe this and the believer receives God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

• Agree
Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟924,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you don't repent sincerely, can you be saved if you accept Jesus died for your sins?

Do you only have to repent once at the start, or do you have to keep repenting to maintain salvation.

Cheers
If you sin - then confess and repent. 1 John 1:9. Keep short accounts with God.

God promises to "Grant repentance" as a gift - claim the promise - Acts 5:31

Don't worry about testing the quality of your repentance, submit to God , listen to His Holy Spirit "convict you of sin and righteousness and judgment" John 16 -- believe His Word. Go forward in faith. God will do the rest.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
I will add

For believers repentance is for restoring fellowship with God and getting back in harmony with God. Also a believer caught up into a repeated sin, that may bring the hand of discipline upon the sinful believer, if they do not repent from their sin. That could even be God taking the earthly life of the sinful believer.

For unbelievers repentance is for stopping a sin or sins (life style) that may lead to health problems, even an early death. It may also make the unbeliever more open to receiving The Word of God. That may lead them to believe in Jesus for Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Cheers
Some say that you do not need to repent, just believe. I've met many "believers" who fall away after a while. Belief is much more than acceptance of some facts about salvation. On the day of Pentecost, the hearers were "cut to the heart" (Acts 2:37). Their response was, "What must we do?"

God saves sinners. If an individual does not acknowledge that they are a sinner, how can they honestly accept God's free gift of salvation?

What we call salvation has two aspects. The first is the initial transformation of being born again. We were dead in sin, but God makes us alive in Christ. This new life has to be taken care of, taught, fed, nurtured and strengthened as if it was an infant. At the same time, there is a war within and temptation from without. Inwardly, the old self resents being laid aside and tries to reassert itself. Outwardly, there is temptation from the world and Satan's wicked host.

God gives us all that we need to overcome. We need to learn the truth and then stand on it. It takes time and we will surely fail every now and again. That's how we learn. As we discover more of what displeases God, we do need to turn away from those things. It's as much to bless us as to keep in favour with God. Sin is detrimental to a worthwhile life. So yes, ongoing repentance is necessary, but not to get us into heaven. Our future is certain, the journey there not so much.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟570,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Cheers
This is one of the problems with the gospel of faith plus works. Suddenly, instead of depending on God's faithfulness and the gospel's fullness, you are in a situation where your faith is dependent on your works. You are essentially saying, "You can be saved by believing in Jesus IF you can also do 10000 pushups. Suddenly, you are inspecting your feelings, your sincerity, your personal perfection, etc., etc. The addition of repentance from all sin essentially short-circuits the work of the gospel. Jesus said, "Be perfect as your Father in heaven..." I challenge those who preach successful repentance of all sin to say they did this: they achieved the perfection of the Father. It is like saying an infant can run a hundred-yard dash. Pre-salvation repentance from all sin is impossible. The purpose of the attempt is to show you that you cannot do it, and therefore, you must depend on faith and grace instead of the law and works. Those who claim successful pre-newbirth repentance are saying they did something God says they could not do. If they could successfully repent of all sin without the gospel, then they would be showing that they did not need to be saved by grace.
The solution is to believe in the death of Jesus for your sins, His burial, and His resurrection. You will be saved, and then God will begin working on your sanctification and maturity.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Cheers
-​

The Gospel of John, the only book in The Bible whose stated purpose for being written. Which is to tell people how to have life (Eternal Life salvation) John 20:31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Never list repentance as a condition God requires to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation, but repeatedly states to receive eternal life, believe in Jesus.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Cheers

To answer your question, no. To give a black and white example, let's say someone is a mafia hitman. He's gone around killing people. He decides to repent of his sins and accept Christ. That means he ceases killing people and doesn't do it again. The new testament addresses him if he returns to his old ways and starts killing again:

2Pe 2:20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.

2Pe 2:21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

Notice that after they have repented, and then gone back to their old ways, they are worse off than when they began. So ceasing from intentional sin is a requirement, but we all sin unintentionally. That is why we have confession and reconciliation. It is a lifetime of repentance.

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟762,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Our repentance should be immediate but lived out in works ( Acts 26:20, Ephesians 2:8-10). Colossians 1:1-29 explains the overall salvation of Jesus Christ and verses 10 & 23 emphasizes living by faith expressed in good works as our gratitude for salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟914,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cheers
We first repent from unbelief to belief. In other words, we change our mind and follow Him. True repentance from sin is through santification. His Holy Spirit works in each and every regenerated believer conforming them into the image of Christ. This is a life long process, growing in the Lord towards spiritual maturity.
Blessings.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

If you cheat on your spouse, but your spouse says "I forgive you, be faithful to our marriage and come back home" are you being faithful to the marriage if you dismiss your spouse's feelings and reconciliation by continuing to cheat?

It's a lot more than "you need to repent to be saved" as some kind of quid pro quo, it's not a quid pro quo at all. It is the establishment of reconciliation between two disparate parties: human beings and God. God is the One who does the reconciling, though He is the offended party He is the One who not only initiates, but accomplishes, the act of reconciliation and then restores us to Himself.

Repentance happens here because when I realize what I've done, and just how wrong it is, just how broken I am riddled with guilt, a guilt that I confess. A guilt that I confess and, at the same time, recognize that I'm the problem and that I'm the one who must be fixed, changed, and restored.

Metanoia, the Greek word translated as "repentance", means a change of how one thinks, a reversal of thinking, a change in mindset and behavior. I am guilty and I need forgiveness, I am broken and I need fixing, I am sick and I need healing.

It is therefore an admission and confession of guilt, and our need for that to be addressed, and the only thing that can address the deep wrong we have in ourselves is Jesus, and the mercy of God which is in Jesus for us.

Then that becomes something we need repentance for. To ask God for contrition, to hear God speak through His word that says, "All have sinned and fallen short" and that these words should penetrate us deep and right into the marrow of our bones--and from out of us comes true penitential grief that we should grasp and hold onto Christ in faith and cling to Him as our only shelter and refuge and healing, our only salvation.

Of course we won't always feel the full weight of our sin, but we should seek that, we should seek contrition. Pray for remorse, and moreso, pray for the mercy that will rescue and catch us in the ache of our guilt.

Cheers

Neither is true.

There is no such thing as only repenting once at the start. No more than when you have a relationship with someone you only just love them at the start. Or as though when you hurt someone you just are "sorry" but that sorry feeling goes away and we just keep hurting them. We hurt someone, and we know we have done that, and there is remorse, and even though the guilt is pardoned by grace--forgiven--we nevertheless recognize how deeply wrong we are and that we are always, constantly, in need of forgiveness, of mercy, of love. I'm sorry, I humbly repent, I admit my wrong, I know I am forgiven and so I don't want to keep being wrong, I want to be restored, and always restored, and in a place of fellowship, of communion, of friendship.

And it has nothing to do with "maintaining salvation"--again, it's not quid pro quo. Repentance happens, it is simply what it looks like when we are honest with ourselves in the context of who God is.

God loves me, but I have not loved Him.
God, help me.
God, save me.
I am guilty and full of sin, save me Lord Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟897,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Cheers
”“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’ “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”“
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭21‬-‭27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,168.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Never list repentance as a condition God requires to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation, but repeatedly states to receive eternal life, believe in Jesus.
Yet Jesus said to repent and believe in His Gospel of the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟897,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-​

The Gospel of John, the only book in The Bible whose stated purpose for being written. Which is to tell people how to have life (Eternal Life salvation) John 20:31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

The Texas Driver’s License handbook says you can get your drivers license at the age of 16. Now if you cherry pick that single statement out of the book and ignore the rest of the requirements that are listed in the book your going to be very disappointed when you go to actually get your driver’s license and they tell you about all the other requirements that you ignored that are mentioned in the book that your required to meet before you can get your license.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟897,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-​

What about these people?

”You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.“
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭4‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Do they need to repent? They believe in Jesus. They’ve even received the Holy Spirit. Are they still saved if they keep on believing the way they do?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟282,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Cheers
To repent is "to turn". . .from your sin and to obedience.

It's not about feelings.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,168.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To repent is "to turn". . .from your sin and to obedience.
Exactly. Turn from the self serving will of mankind to the 'others' oriented ways of the Kingdom. All fragments of sin along with sin itself are based on self interest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟740,857.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cheers
Repentance is very important to salvation, without it I very much doubt one is saved. Jesus said of receiving the Holy Spirit:

“If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever...Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?” Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me. (NKJV, John 14:15-24)

If you have a look closely at that scripture the love of the Father only comes if one is willing to obey. Job also shows this:

He also opens their ear to instruction, And commands that they turn from iniquity. If they obey and serve Him, They shall spend their days in prosperity, And their years in pleasures. But if they do not obey, They shall perish by the sword, And they shall die without knowledge. (NKJV, Job 36:10-12)

A Christians justification is in the cross, but repentance is needed. As the Bible shows:

Rom 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not!

1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What about these people?

”You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.“
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭4‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Do they need to repent? They believe in Jesus. They’ve even received the Holy Spirit. Are they still saved if they keep on believing the way they do?

They have been estranged, from Jesus. That is they have lost their fellowship in the family. Because they are now practicing being justified by the law and more than likely teaching this to others. Why would they be estranged from Jesus because of this, because Jesus taught Eternal Life is received by belief in Jesus and not by the law.

Do they need to repent of this yes, to enter back into fellowship with Jesus. Does what they are now doing cause them to lose their born again child of God life, no. They became a permanent born again child of God at the very moment of belief in Jesus.

Upvote 0