Briseis

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2006
✟10,555.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My bf is also PK, we met at a Christian HS. We are the same denomination. He is just a regular Christian guy at the moment, but in his teenage years he was the rebel. I am not sure if that had to do with being a PK though. He doesnt like talking about his past, as it tells me nothing of who he is now, which is true. But sometimes I really just wonder 'why?'

Upvote 0

xlolokinsx

Apr 14, 2006
✟212.00
Faith
Presbyterian
In elementary school, I had a really good friend who was a PK. She switched schools after second or third grade, because she wasn't that happy at our school. I still stayed friends with her though, doing some extracurriculars with her for a while, and after that we'd call each other and arrange something at least once a year. Now we both go to the same high school, and wave to each other in the halls.

She is one of the most amazing people I have met. She's one of those people who will be friends with anybody, no matter the cost. She'll alway stand up for you. The amount of courage and faith she must have to show that love just amazes me.

Upvote 0

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Am a pk, and i think it's great because God looks on you with a lil bit of favour because of your parents service, i really believe that
by "favor" you mean compassion? Cuz that would be fitting.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It was two weeks before someone from the church bothered to inform the national guard that their preacher probably needed rescuing. It was another week before we were rescued.
That's frightening! I'll bet the people were muttering where is their pastor when they need him. People tend to do that with leaders, even volunteer leaders.

I'd like to insert a hundred responses to confirm that it wasn't your imagination or selfishness or rebellion that makes you mad at these injustices. They were wrong. They were harmful.

The beauty of enduring such horrible things-- now you can help smooth out the wrongs of the church, and help others heal from these things. You are the one who really knew what a problem the religiosity and legalisms could cause.

Even if you're not going to church now, I'm sure you run into people who do, and I'm sure your words are valuable to them. You might have kept people from making the same mistakes, just by showing how abusive the attitudes were.

Not all churches are this way, but we all have the potential to slip into damaging legalism.

Mt 23:23
Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.

Isaiah 10:1-4
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless.

Upvote 0

NewSong

♪♫♫♪♫
Nov 8, 2004
✟47,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi I am a PK! My dad became a preacher when I was a youth. There are things I wished I didn't know about behind the scenes that you know as a PK and someone already mentioned some of the things. However, now that I am an adult, it is hard for me to find my place in a church because I was always used to being in ministry and now there is no need for me to be and it is hard to be told your not needed anymore after being a key-player in the ministry scenese. I find it harder than anything I have ever faced to deal with the fact that I am now considered a nothing or a nobody because my dad isn't the pastor of the church. I feel very lossed. I find a key issue for me to pass on to others is to make sure you know your identity is in Christ Jesus and not that of a PK so you don't have the crisis that I have experienced because I was always known as the PK for more years than not. :D God bless all of you PKs there are some really good things about it and some drawbacks. :)

Upvote 0

JoyforJESUS

Jesus Others Yourself
Nov 28, 2006
Cumberland Maryland
✟42,655.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi I am a PK! My dad became a preacher when I was a youth. There are things I wished I didn't know about behind the scenes that you know as a PK and someone already mentioned some of the things. However, now that I am an adult, it is hard for me to find my place in a church because I was always used to being in ministry and now there is no need for me to be and it is hard to be told your not needed anymore after being a key-player in the ministry scenese. I find it harder than anything I have ever faced to deal with the fact that I am now considered a nothing or a nobody because my dad isn't the pastor of the church. I feel very lossed. I find a key issue for me to pass on to others is to make sure you know your identity is in Christ Jesus and not that of a PK so you don't have the crisis that I have experienced because I was always known as the PK for more years than not. :D God bless all of you PKs there are some really good things about it and some drawbacks. :)
Of course there is a Need for you. You have a wealth of knowledge, you could work with the youth group, you could serve on the governing body of your church, you can offer to go out on homebound calls (for the sick or elderly), you can teach Sunday/Sabath School. The next time someone needs people for a committee say "I will help"

Upvote 0

covenantwmn

Contributor
Jun 21, 2005
Great Northwest
✟19,438.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My brother's a pastor, and I have a niece and 2 nephews. They all are serving the Lord, however do not like being in the spotlight. Anything they do, i.e. helping someone, missions, etc., they like as low profile as possible. I think that stems from living in a fishbowl. They're all pretty normal tho, lol.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2006
land of the purple spots
✟34,932.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm a former pk of 19 years. Let me tell ya, the kids at my school knew who I was without me telling them. Probably because a dozen of them went to my church's daycare when they were younger. I recall one occasion where in a state of distress I wound up using not so lovely words, and they reported me to my parents. I got in trouble for that big time, but they let me off after we discussed what happened that provoked me to such state.

My familiy church was only about 45 persons big. We lived next door and served for almost 14 years. I can honestly say that my parents did right by God in leading this church, but the folks inside cared more about the building than they did about the town we were in. We did everything from running the services, providing children's church, to organizing and cleaning up after potlucks. I even cleaned the church for 5 years because no one else would. We did it all, save repair the building ourselves. *sigh* If that wasn't enough, I know of parents who used me and my brother as a measuring tool of perfection for their kids. That pedestal is enough to cause any pk to rebel and walk away from God in a heartbeat. There is only so much one can take of that hypocrisy in the church.

The last three years we were there, it was rough. The board decided they didn't want to follow the plans their pastor laid before them to help the church survive. It got so bad that in the last year, the board fought with a few members over our farewell party (which we initially were not going to get because they had deemed a house party sufficient for commemorating our years of service). I was caught in the crosshairs of that battle and knew only one week of happiness - I went to church camp, where not a soul was from that church. My parents heard about the blistering fight through the grapevine and it nearly shredded my family to pieces. I refused to support the church with my membership and left immediately when we resigned. It is sad to say that even after we were gone, people still trashed my father's reputation for false reasons other than our concern for the church. We left because the church couldn't support our family any longer, and yet they insinuated other things. It was that reason alone which drove my brother out a few months later. He fought hard to help that church after we left. By then I was already jaded and a wreck.

I'm involved in my church where I live now, it's large enough that my family isn't depended upon to do a THING. But I can safely say that I'm still dealing with the anger and bitterness of what happened, and the struggle I had growing up. Not only was I a PK (a goody two shoes in most eyes), I was also dealing with a severe hearing disability which made it tough to make friends. I really didn't get friends until college, and that helped me grow phenomonly. My only favorite part about being a PK was PK Retreats every year and the close connection I had with district staff because of my father's involvement with them.

My brother is a youth pastor now, and my dad is involved in the college level training up new ministers. As for me, God would have to shake the earth and write on the walls for me to go back into being in a pastor's family again.

I forgot to mention one thing, my parents made time for my brother and me. Dad would get our sports schedules or anything of the similar, and then pen us in his dayplanner. Everything else was penciled in incase we had something pop up. I'm not sure how many PK's out there wished their parents did the same thing. But I know I am thankful for that one small thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KrazyPhish

Dead in the water...
Aug 30, 2004
A Kiwi living in Australia
✟18,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The pastor's daughter I know, smokes, drinks and apparently has a lot of sex. The she gets up in worship and tells every one off for not worshiping God properly.

I'm no saint, but atleast I'm not all "holier than thou". It's sounds like I'm judging her, but she just really rubs me up the wrong way.

Grrr.

Upvote 0

akledbet

Jan 29, 2007
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
My dad is a pastor so I (of course) grew up going to church every week. There were hard things about it all, the stereotypes, being in sort of a spot light, the stress my dad had to go through...but I am so thankful for my family and that God allowed me to be raised in such a wonderul home. My parents raised us to be well-rounded non bitter young adults who love the Lord and want to serve Him. We were never pushed to go into the ministry ourselves but 2 of us (out of 3) are. We enjoyed being raised as PK's. It's neat to see that side of ministry. It's something rare that most people don't get to experience... and I don't think we ever thought of ourselves as better than anybody else. We didn't really "go crazy" in college and rebel because we didn't feel sufficated at home, my parents weren't overly strict or insanely protective. They were good parents. We were tought that we were no better than anybody else and that we were saved just like any other sinner is saved. I think the only down side I see in my own life is that at times in my walk with Christ I've just let it become too familiar and routine. I just got used to it. Which is somthing that many Christians who grew up in church deal with (not jsut PK's). I see this as my own sin and lack of awe for who God is, not somthing to be blamed on my parents. But overall, I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything! Glory to God.

Upvote 0

Bulan

May 11, 2007
Visit site
✟7,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are there any PK's in your school ect. Do they not talk about it, have they a "holy is thou" kinda person, or do they play it down like its a curse?
I spent my teens as a PK, and was treated quite normally by other kids in church and school. There are certain aspects of the lifestyle that are challenging (such as reduced family time when church issues take up Dad's time), and others that provide interesting opportunities to PKs (such as getting to know many church members, fellow pastoral families, attending conferences with parents, and so on).

I didn't mind it at all. I don't think I've ever felt the need to talk about my experience excessively, though it's nice when people ask me what it's like. I also never considered myself to be 'holier' than others; in fact, I've always known I was no better than other Christian youth in my church or at my school, but sometimes being in the limelight as PKs can make us feel as though we ought to somehow live up to a higher standard than everyone else. I also don't begrudge my parents for choosing to go into the ministry - it has shown me different areas and cultures around Canada, taught me a lot about church leadership and church family/community issues, having seen positive and negative examples over the years. It has given me a real interest in church work, and motivates me to learn more about what makes healthy churches, what makes healthy families (especially the families of church leaders), and how can we encourage Christians to help keep their church families growing in the right direction?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ptilinopus

May 1, 2007
Parkes NSW
✟15,810.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I guess as far as school is concerned, I was lucky in that I was one of several PKs. And they ran the gamut from great to relate to to holier than thou to totally rebel... Like everyone else.

It is true that too many pastors/ministers don't take the time for their kids. Now I have 3 PKs too - and I pray that I can give them what they need so they will be normal kids AND commited to Jesus...

Upvote 0

firedancepsl

Jun 19, 2007
✟7,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am an adult leader of our youth group and we have seen a couple PKs come through our ministry. Our church's senior pastors have all three of their adult children in ministry now and although it was a tough journey, they didn't allow the negative of living in a glass bowl permanently scare their relationship with God.

I can only hope the same for the kids of our other pastors, who are pre-teens and teens right now.

Upvote 0

Silvestra

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
✟15,162.00
Faith
Christian
The pastor's daughter I know, smokes, drinks and apparently has a lot of sex. The she gets up in worship and tells every one off for not worshiping God properly.

I'm no saint, but atleast I'm not all "holier than thou". It's sounds like I'm judging her, but she just really rubs me up the wrong way.

Grrr.
Does that mean she is rebelling under all that pressure and responsibilities? Maybe her family is too absorbed in their church, to pay her attention. After all, circumstances do affect a child behavior and growth.

May be she needs your help and not your anger or disgust?

Upvote 0