RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
most of the ones i know are of the same denomonation as me and most are fallen away and see it as a curse that has ruined their lives mainly because of the hurt that their family has gone through because their dad is a minister, most that i know moved away from home as soon as they could and don't go to church anymore

Upvote 0

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I'm pretty sure that all the PKs I know, I just know from my denomnation. I've seen all kinds of response to being a PK and usuaully various stages as well. As a teenager, I believed there where bascially two kinds of PKs the angels and the rebels, but I've definitely come to see more than just two different times.
I know plenty of PKs who have gone into the ministry themselves [though not as a Sr. pastor or head pastor]; I know some that have left the church and don't want anything to do with Christianity. I know a few that still go to church but struggle with trust & bitterness, but I also know some who are involved with their churches and try to be supportive of their pastor [in a different church than their father's church] and really have an amazing heart for what they do.

There's so many factors of how & why each of come out with our various responses to what we've seen and experienced. Some PKs have really good experience, others are the opposite, and so many are everywhere in between that. In my denmonation I believe there's a lot of good and effort to take care of the whole pastor's family from the headquarters & bigwigs, and that really can & does make a difference. ...but even at that there's still a lot that factors into each outcome.

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, I don't go to school--but there are three adult PK's in my small congregation of 30. That's a lot per capita, I think. I also know my sibs, of course, of which I have four, but they left church mainly due to bitterness. I've known a few other PK's through the years--some are hard to get to know, I think it's the trust issues, and I'd probably answer to that description myself. There are some on the Focus on the Family Message Board--they have one for pastors, their wives, and one for the kids.

Upvote 0

sherri

Mar 20, 2004
✟10,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My last b/f was a PK. And his family were just awesome. One of the most functional and loving you'll ever come across. And growing up in the church I've often hung out with or been close friends with the pastors kids. And they were all pretty cool.

Reading this forum has been pretty eye opening as I never really thought much about the downsides and fishbowl aspect of it. I didn't realise it could have so many negative aspects.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I knew a ministry kid who had overly high aspirations, as if he needed to compete with the rest of the family. Most of the MK-PK's I've known were great-- fascinating, fun-loving, deep, and caring people.

Generally, yeah, the PK's have been stressed for years over their parents worried about how the family comes across to the public. Even the best parents imposed a little too many public awareness/PR conditions on the kids.

Upvote 0

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
my family is very close-knit and competetive too
we have been hurt by people and families in the church before (shock i know) and has caused us to be cautious and at times closed to being close to other people or families (more subconsciously than consciously)

Upvote 0

Eagle_Wings

Just Your Ordinary Average Everyday Sane Psycho.
Nov 18, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've known quite a few pk's- mainly my brother and others from my denomination- but I did work with a girl from a different denom- she was the typical rebel! My brother would probably fit into the rebel catagory- he didn't have to, he uses my Dad's position as a reason to not be a believer at the moment. Some of the others that I've known have been really hurt and have rebelled, others seem to be just fine and in ministry themselves. All the others that I've seen rebel have been from families that try to look perfect to the church and I don't think that's necessary.

Upvote 0

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
My last b/f was a PK. And his family were just awesome. One of the most functional and loving you'll ever come across. And growing up in the church I've often hung out with or been close friends with the pastors kids. And they were all pretty cool.

Reading this forum has been pretty eye opening as I never really thought much about the downsides and fishbowl aspect of it. I didn't realise it could have so many negative aspects.
yeah, I think there's a lot things about being a PK or just family in ministry, that unless you've been there, it's not something you'd think about or expect to have to deal with. Of course it's not all bad things, it's just common that the downside isn't something PKs talk about in public or alot of times not even with close friend becuz it's really something that it takes one PK to another to really understand how it feels or something very close to that.

Of course if you need some good crazy stories, I'm quite sure we could tell you a few of those too!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i know what you mean, my dad has been youth pastor, administrative pastor, music minister, singles minister, senior/head pastor and many more some at the same time some at different times along the way
so yeah we have encountered our fair share of crazy people along the way, haha (not including the ones already in our family of course)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
My mom is a PK and I know a bunch of them too. I don't think they have a *holier than thou* attitude. Too many put PKs/MKs on pedestals and expect them to live a certain way from birth JUST because they was born in a pastor's house and that isn't fair or right. :sigh: They are no different from the rest of us *born sinners* who has the choice to accept/reject Christ. The sad thing is that PKs/MKs gets to see the more negative stuff about members/other christians and is a big turn off cause of they hypocritical attitudes/beliefs/lifestyles. Pastors are expected to be on call 24/7 when you don't find that in the majority of jobs. Members are always finding ways to take/need the father's attention for their own issues. Sometimes PKs feel totally cheated cause of it and expected to accept it no matter what. If you're not praying for/encouraging your pastor's family, then you should start. :)

Upvote 0